• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Why is the NHL so unpopular/irrelevant?

    12 Next Last»
    SwishSwish1234
    SportsFan9698
    TheGoldenGoose
    thecentaur
    Slobbasaurus
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 8053
    Posts: 42
    12 Next Last»
     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 4:31 PM ET #1

    Whether it is how much coverage ESPN gives it, or the forum buzz on here, One of the slowest forums compared to the other three/four, I also don't hear much sports talk radio giving it air time, Why? As a limey who loves Americans sports, I have watched thousands of NFL games, Hundreds of MLB and NBA games yet have never watched an NHL game or bet on one, Simply because of how it's marketed over here and that right there tells you all you need to know, The other three sports are global brands and the NHL seemingly isn't. But why do Americans seemingly not care about it? Why does it not get the hype the other three sports do?


    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Whether it is how much coverage ESPN gives it, or the forum buzz on here, One of the slowest forums compared to the other three/four, I also don't hear much sports talk radio giving it air time, Why? As a limey who loves Americans sports, I have watched thousands of NFL games, Hundreds of MLB and NBA games yet have never watched an NHL game or bet on one, Simply because of how it's marketed over here and that right there tells you all you need to know, The other three sports are global brands and the NHL seemingly isn't. But why do Americans seemingly not care about it? Why does it not get the hype the other three sports do?


     
    SportsFan9698
    SportsFan9698
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 5575
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 5:06 PM ET #2

    NHL has a great market... it does not have to be as big as the NFL and likely will never be.

    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer

    NHL action is awesome I love it, as do many.  Why do you think there is some problem if their market is not as big?

    Toyota sells the most cars in the world.... but GM and Ford do pretty well 
    Reply
    NHL has a great market... it does not have to be as big as the NFL and likely will never be.

    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer

    NHL action is awesome I love it, as do many.  Why do you think there is some problem if their market is not as big?

    Toyota sells the most cars in the world.... but GM and Ford do pretty well 
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 5:19 PM ET #3


    Agreed Hockey is the SECOND least favorite Sport in the USA.  Soccer is the worst.  I lost my love for soccer when my son's team went 0-11-1 and the tie game was 0-0.  Soccer sukks.

    Canadians love Hockey more than the USA.  But, I have to say, Hockey teams have a VERY strong following.  Season ticket holders are the best and most vicious of any American sport fan.  It just doesn't translate to TV very well.

    Back in the day I had second row blue line season tickets to the Hartford Whalers.  Why second row?  So we could laugh at the front row imbeciles who put their beer cups on the ledge.  Of course the players used to aim at them and howl laugh when the beer went into the faces.

    MLB, NFL, NBA will always be above NHL in the States. 

    That's just the way it is.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Agreed Hockey is the SECOND least favorite Sport in the USA.  Soccer is the worst.  I lost my love for soccer when my son's team went 0-11-1 and the tie game was 0-0.  Soccer sukks.

    Canadians love Hockey more than the USA.  But, I have to say, Hockey teams have a VERY strong following.  Season ticket holders are the best and most vicious of any American sport fan.  It just doesn't translate to TV very well.

    Back in the day I had second row blue line season tickets to the Hartford Whalers.  Why second row?  So we could laugh at the front row imbeciles who put their beer cups on the ledge.  Of course the players used to aim at them and howl laugh when the beer went into the faces.

    MLB, NFL, NBA will always be above NHL in the States. 

    That's just the way it is.
     
    thecentaur
    thecentaur
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2012
    Posts: 2049
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 5:45 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan9698:



    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer


    I think this is the main reason.  I like hockey, love going to games, but I simply cannot identify with line changes power play strategies and playing along the boards.  Have never done it
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan9698:



    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer


    I think this is the main reason.  I like hockey, love going to games, but I simply cannot identify with line changes power play strategies and playing along the boards.  Have never done it
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 6:25 PM ET #5

    Played ice for 14 years and I love it.  

    Hockey is a very expensive sport to play.  Between ice time, league rates, travel expenses and equipment/equipment maintenance, it's easily the most expensive sport to play.  My parents and teammates parents didn't earn much growing up but they ponied up the money so we could enjoy this great game.

    For basketball, soccer and football, all you need is a ball and a park or ballcourt.  

    For football, most leagues here loan their equipment out each season so all the kids could play.  
    Reply
    Played ice for 14 years and I love it.  

    Hockey is a very expensive sport to play.  Between ice time, league rates, travel expenses and equipment/equipment maintenance, it's easily the most expensive sport to play.  My parents and teammates parents didn't earn much growing up but they ponied up the money so we could enjoy this great game.

    For basketball, soccer and football, all you need is a ball and a park or ballcourt.  

    For football, most leagues here loan their equipment out each season so all the kids could play.  
     
    Getty3
    Getty3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 25178
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 6:27 PM ET #6

    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer


    Another +1 on this statement. I'd bet less than 25% know how to skate, much less play hockey. Fans will always be most interested in a sport in which they have participated. If you play a sport as a kid you'll always have an interest in it. 
    Reply
    MOST men have played baseball, football, Basketball.... most have not played hockey - that is your answer


    Another +1 on this statement. I'd bet less than 25% know how to skate, much less play hockey. Fans will always be most interested in a sport in which they have participated. If you play a sport as a kid you'll always have an interest in it. 
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Mar. 28, 2016 - 11:28 PM ET #7

    A lot of black people in America don't know or care about hockey because they don't play it 
    Reply
    A lot of black people in America don't know or care about hockey because they don't play it 
     
    RandyC726
    RandyC726
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2008
    Posts: 1545
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 12:51 AM ET #8

    Can't relate because they never played. Also, Americans like action. Watching a three hour game to have two or three goals a lot of the time isn't enough. 
    Reply
    Can't relate because they never played. Also, Americans like action. Watching a three hour game to have two or three goals a lot of the time isn't enough. 
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 1:07 AM ET #9

     When I was young & lived in NY I loved hockey. I was a big Rangers fan back when they has Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Ed Giacomin, Vic Hadfield......etc. After moving west in the early 70's it was tough to keep track of hockey.......no cable back then.
     Now I see teams in Phoenix, Nashville, Florida, California, etc........not the same as the old days.
    Reply
     When I was young & lived in NY I loved hockey. I was a big Rangers fan back when they has Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Ed Giacomin, Vic Hadfield......etc. After moving west in the early 70's it was tough to keep track of hockey.......no cable back then.
     Now I see teams in Phoenix, Nashville, Florida, California, etc........not the same as the old days.
     
    Jonel
    Jonel
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2016
    Posts: 53
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 9:34 AM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:

    A lot of black people in America don't know or care about hockey because they don't play it 

    what does it do sports with race? Simply I do not get it!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mbialowas:

    A lot of black people in America don't know or care about hockey because they don't play it 

    what does it do sports with race? Simply I do not get it!
     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 9:55 AM ET #11

    What's the buzz like around town when the NHL play offs are on?
    Reply
    What's the buzz like around town when the NHL play offs are on?
     
    mbialowas
    mbialowas
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 4681
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 5:09 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonel:


    what does it do sports with race? Simply I do not get it!

     

    Everything. Ever been to a cricket game?

    Try going to a New York Rangers game, 95% of the crowd is white.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonel:


    what does it do sports with race? Simply I do not get it!

     

    Everything. Ever been to a cricket game?

    Try going to a New York Rangers game, 95% of the crowd is white.

     

     
    Canada_Chris
    Canada_Chris
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 2462
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 6:58 PM ET #13

    Have to agree with what everyone else has already stated.  Unless you grew up playing and watching the game, it's a very difficult sport to just get into at a later age in my opinion.  I'd even argue that it's a dying game in Canada.

    I think one of the biggest problems the NHL has is that their athletes are so difficult to market.  The game itself isn't tailored to focusing on the star athletes as compared to the other three leagues.

    Personally, I haven't watch a game in years and have little to no interest these days.  Sure, the team I grew up rooting for has been horrible for my entire life but even so, I'd say a majority of the conversation at work revolves around the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA.

    And since this is a betting forum, I also think the NHL has little gambling appeal unlike the other sports.

    One more thing - hockey players are arguably the dumbest athletes in the world.  The majority of them have the personality of a paint can.  Listening to them speak is cringe worthy.
    Reply
    Have to agree with what everyone else has already stated.  Unless you grew up playing and watching the game, it's a very difficult sport to just get into at a later age in my opinion.  I'd even argue that it's a dying game in Canada.

    I think one of the biggest problems the NHL has is that their athletes are so difficult to market.  The game itself isn't tailored to focusing on the star athletes as compared to the other three leagues.

    Personally, I haven't watch a game in years and have little to no interest these days.  Sure, the team I grew up rooting for has been horrible for my entire life but even so, I'd say a majority of the conversation at work revolves around the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA.

    And since this is a betting forum, I also think the NHL has little gambling appeal unlike the other sports.

    One more thing - hockey players are arguably the dumbest athletes in the world.  The majority of them have the personality of a paint can.  Listening to them speak is cringe worthy.
     
    gfinger
    gfinger
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2003
    Posts: 8346
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 8:05 PM ET #14

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 
    Reply
    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 
     
    Canada_Chris
    Canada_Chris
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 2462
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 8:32 PM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 

    That's not true.  It's just that the speed of the game makes it hard to really see what's happening.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 

    That's not true.  It's just that the speed of the game makes it hard to really see what's happening.
     
    Getty3
    Getty3
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 25178
    Posted: Mar. 29, 2016 - 8:57 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:

    Have to agree with what everyone else has already stated.  Unless you grew up playing and watching the game, it's a very difficult sport to just get into at a later age in my opinion.  I'd even argue that it's a dying game in Canada.

    I think one of the biggest problems the NHL has is that their athletes are so difficult to market.  The game itself isn't tailored to focusing on the star athletes as compared to the other three leagues.

    Personally, I haven't watch a game in years and have little to no interest these days.  Sure, the team I grew up rooting for has been horrible for my entire life but even so, I'd say a majority of the conversation at work revolves around the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA.

    And since this is a betting forum, I also think the NHL has little gambling appeal unlike the other sports.

    One more thing - hockey players are arguably the dumbest athletes in the world.  The majority of them have the personality of a paint can.  Listening to them speak is cringe worthy.

    1) I am truly sorry for your Maple Loafs.
    2) Betting hockey is very similar to baseball. It's all about the money line and not the spread. Almost all casual gamblers want a spread because that's what they know. Idiots will bet the biggest dog on the board as fast as another idiot will bet the biggest fave. Very few understand the reality of the moneyline and where/how to get value.
    3) The last comment about NHL players is true. There's almost a militaristic attitude amongst the players where they're afraid to show some emotion or humor lest they get benched for the next game.
     I watched TJ Oshie get interviewed after last night's Caps game, and he couldn't have been any more cold and robotic if he tried. Here's a young, good looking Olympic hero acting like a piece of cardboard because of why? 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:

    Have to agree with what everyone else has already stated.  Unless you grew up playing and watching the game, it's a very difficult sport to just get into at a later age in my opinion.  I'd even argue that it's a dying game in Canada.

    I think one of the biggest problems the NHL has is that their athletes are so difficult to market.  The game itself isn't tailored to focusing on the star athletes as compared to the other three leagues.

    Personally, I haven't watch a game in years and have little to no interest these days.  Sure, the team I grew up rooting for has been horrible for my entire life but even so, I'd say a majority of the conversation at work revolves around the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA.

    And since this is a betting forum, I also think the NHL has little gambling appeal unlike the other sports.

    One more thing - hockey players are arguably the dumbest athletes in the world.  The majority of them have the personality of a paint can.  Listening to them speak is cringe worthy.

    1) I am truly sorry for your Maple Loafs.
    2) Betting hockey is very similar to baseball. It's all about the money line and not the spread. Almost all casual gamblers want a spread because that's what they know. Idiots will bet the biggest dog on the board as fast as another idiot will bet the biggest fave. Very few understand the reality of the moneyline and where/how to get value.
    3) The last comment about NHL players is true. There's almost a militaristic attitude amongst the players where they're afraid to show some emotion or humor lest they get benched for the next game.
     I watched TJ Oshie get interviewed after last night's Caps game, and he couldn't have been any more cold and robotic if he tried. Here's a young, good looking Olympic hero acting like a piece of cardboard because of why? 
     
    RexR
    RexR
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 3917
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 2:34 AM ET #17

    I think hockey suffers in newer cities such as Phoenix. Not sure how it is in the South, but many transplants from other states move here and it must suck for the Coyotes when 3/4 of the 'home' team is rooting against you. 

    Just seems like Northeastern cities have great hockey pride, with Chicago, Detroit, LA , STL also with die-hard fans. Compare this to NFL and the popularity of its teams. Only a handful of NFL teams come across as unpopular, Jacksonville and Cleveland.

    Reply
    I think hockey suffers in newer cities such as Phoenix. Not sure how it is in the South, but many transplants from other states move here and it must suck for the Coyotes when 3/4 of the 'home' team is rooting against you. 

    Just seems like Northeastern cities have great hockey pride, with Chicago, Detroit, LA , STL also with die-hard fans. Compare this to NFL and the popularity of its teams. Only a handful of NFL teams come across as unpopular, Jacksonville and Cleveland.

     
    mattbrot
    mattbrot
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 6840
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 9:48 AM ET #18

    because it is hockey. that is the answer.

    I am not exaggerating when I say this -- I can not name 5 current NHL players off the top of my head. I can not even name 5 NHL teams off the top of my head.


    Reply
    because it is hockey. that is the answer.

    I am not exaggerating when I say this -- I can not name 5 current NHL players off the top of my head. I can not even name 5 NHL teams off the top of my head.


     
    DoubleUp4Life
    DoubleUp4Life
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 66896
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 9:51 AM ET #19

    Gary Bettman 

    former NBA lawyer sent to destroy the NHL   .... Marketing Idiot, Allows Goaltenders to wear Pads that take up 97% of the NET . 

    League kept expanding , Talent thinned 


    BEST OF HEALTH, HAPPINESS,WEALTH, BLESSINGS and LUCK TO ALL !!
    Reply
    Gary Bettman 

    former NBA lawyer sent to destroy the NHL   .... Marketing Idiot, Allows Goaltenders to wear Pads that take up 97% of the NET . 

    League kept expanding , Talent thinned 


     
    MetalGods
    MetalGods
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2015
    Posts: 309
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 7:21 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 


    apparently you are completely clueless when it comes to hockey
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 


    apparently you are completely clueless when it comes to hockey
     
    MetalGods
    MetalGods
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2015
    Posts: 309
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 7:22 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrot:

    because it is hockey. that is the answer.

    I am not exaggerating when I say this -- I can not name 5 current NHL players off the top of my head. I can not even name 5 NHL teams off the top of my head.




    who cares if you cannot name 5 teams, you sound like a complete idiot
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrot:

    because it is hockey. that is the answer.

    I am not exaggerating when I say this -- I can not name 5 current NHL players off the top of my head. I can not even name 5 NHL teams off the top of my head.




    who cares if you cannot name 5 teams, you sound like a complete idiot
     
    TheBallDontLie
    TheBallDontLie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 4463
    Posted: Mar. 30, 2016 - 8:36 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 

    As someone who played collegiate hockey, you come off as really ignorant and uninformed. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gfinger:

    I find hockey boring. It lacks strategy. Drop the puck and have at it really. Sure there are line changes but it's not like you draw up plays to execute. 

    As someone who played collegiate hockey, you come off as really ignorant and uninformed. 
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Mar. 31, 2016 - 7:08 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGods:



    apparently you are completely clueless when it comes to hockey

    Agreed

    Hockey lacks strategy and you don't draw up plays to execute.  

    Extremely ignorant is an understatement.  

    It's even worse when they're are hockey fans that think this way.  You fellas know this type of fan.  He's the @sshole that yells "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" when the team crosses the opposing team's blue line.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGods:



    apparently you are completely clueless when it comes to hockey

    Agreed

    Hockey lacks strategy and you don't draw up plays to execute.  

    Extremely ignorant is an understatement.  

    It's even worse when they're are hockey fans that think this way.  You fellas know this type of fan.  He's the @sshole that yells "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" when the team crosses the opposing team's blue line.


     
    BornLucky
    BornLucky
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2016 - 9:37 PM ET #24

    Demographics: The average hockey fan is more educated and earns more money than foot,base, or basket fans.

    When played without thuggery it is the most challenging and beautiful sport. It is as beautiful as any ballet I have attended.

    Low talent teams can narrow the advantage by resorting to thuggery. So they do.

    80% of fans are watching for the hockey. 20% are watching for the collisions/fights. The 20% are the most rabid fans. How does the league transition to the great sport hockey could be without alienating their most rabid fans. They don't know. My guess would be double the minutes on penalties.

    I think that is the fundamental problem.

    After that is the league and networks haven't figured out how to present the game. Do they give long range shots showing the overall strategy and adjustment of offense and defense?Do they stick with close ups showing player technique and collisions? They don't know. My suggestion: a split screen with both. Why not? People have TV's bigger than their car windshields. Let the fan focus on what they want.

    Lastly, management that is not up to the task. The shootout to resolve game is the one solution guaranteed to irritate everyone. It is a great all star game gimmick. It sucks as a way to decide the winner of a game. After to OT they should have another 5 minutes with 4 on 4, then 3 on 3 if needed. The game becomes wilder and wilder as it goes on, not duller.

    2 trivia notes:
    Hockey is the only sport played a faster than humans can move. (You can skate faster than you can run)
    Hockey is the only sport that allows you to bring a weapon (their sticks) in to play. (If you carry the bat to 1st, you are out.)

    Obviously, I'm talking about major sport, not polo,la cross, or fencing. 
    Reply
    Demographics: The average hockey fan is more educated and earns more money than foot,base, or basket fans.

    When played without thuggery it is the most challenging and beautiful sport. It is as beautiful as any ballet I have attended.

    Low talent teams can narrow the advantage by resorting to thuggery. So they do.

    80% of fans are watching for the hockey. 20% are watching for the collisions/fights. The 20% are the most rabid fans. How does the league transition to the great sport hockey could be without alienating their most rabid fans. They don't know. My guess would be double the minutes on penalties.

    I think that is the fundamental problem.

    After that is the league and networks haven't figured out how to present the game. Do they give long range shots showing the overall strategy and adjustment of offense and defense?Do they stick with close ups showing player technique and collisions? They don't know. My suggestion: a split screen with both. Why not? People have TV's bigger than their car windshields. Let the fan focus on what they want.

    Lastly, management that is not up to the task. The shootout to resolve game is the one solution guaranteed to irritate everyone. It is a great all star game gimmick. It sucks as a way to decide the winner of a game. After to OT they should have another 5 minutes with 4 on 4, then 3 on 3 if needed. The game becomes wilder and wilder as it goes on, not duller.

    2 trivia notes:
    Hockey is the only sport played a faster than humans can move. (You can skate faster than you can run)
    Hockey is the only sport that allows you to bring a weapon (their sticks) in to play. (If you carry the bat to 1st, you are out.)

    Obviously, I'm talking about major sport, not polo,la cross, or fencing. 
     
     
    thecentaur
    thecentaur
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2012
    Posts: 2049
    Posted: Apr. 6, 2016 - 2:52 AM ET #25

    I love hockey but I have destroyed both my ankles so badly from a lifetime of playing the other 3 major sports that I can barely skate, my ankles bend in like a newborn fawn trying to walk
    Reply
    I love hockey but I have destroyed both my ankles so badly from a lifetime of playing the other 3 major sports that I can barely skate, my ankles bend in like a newborn fawn trying to walk
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,348
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 433
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,862
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,852
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 729
    • PART DEUX 143
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,216
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,149
    • Week 6 Money 7,998

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.