Somebody hacked my PayPal account. They loaded $400 via my PayPal attached checking account and charged my account for a new iphone. So while PayPal fraud unit is working the case, I am out the unauthorized $400 from my checking account.
This is BS.
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
To remove first post, remove entire topic.
Somebody hacked my PayPal account. They loaded $400 via my PayPal attached checking account and charged my account for a new iphone. So while PayPal fraud unit is working the case, I am out the unauthorized $400 from my checking account.
I had to jump through hoops to create an account just so I could get paid from Covers for contest money and I deleted it right after. It's so dumb that I couldn't just get a check in the mail.
I mean anyone can get your checking account number off of one of your checks, but this stupid online banking $hit just makes it easier.
I would cancel Paypal after they reimburse you. Hopefully they do
I had to jump through hoops to create an account just so I could get paid from Covers for contest money and I deleted it right after. It's so dumb that I couldn't just get a check in the mail.
I mean anyone can get your checking account number off of one of your checks, but this stupid online banking $hit just makes it easier.
I would cancel Paypal after they reimburse you. Hopefully they do
$400 is a small amount compared to over $2,500 that one of my previous credit card (CC) which was hacked and illegally charged in Home Depot and department stores. Eventually, the company that issued that CC terminated my account.
$400 is a small amount compared to over $2,500 that one of my previous credit card (CC) which was hacked and illegally charged in Home Depot and department stores. Eventually, the company that issued that CC terminated my account.
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
plus bounced check fees from the payee.
Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
That's weird. I've been selling a tin if stuff on Ebay the past two months. I woke up Saturday morning hungover and noticed an email from Paypal. They wanted me to update all of my info. It looked like the Paypal website. My dumbass started filling everything out until it asked for debit card PIN number, SSN, checking account number and routing number. I almost fell for it.
That's weird. I've been selling a tin if stuff on Ebay the past two months. I woke up Saturday morning hungover and noticed an email from Paypal. They wanted me to update all of my info. It looked like the Paypal website. My dumbass started filling everything out until it asked for debit card PIN number, SSN, checking account number and routing number. I almost fell for it.
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
No chance they would have done that to you had you told them what happened. That said, if they did try to charge you, the best thing is to threaten to take your business elsewhere and tell them you're going to make sure people know what went down.
I bank at Wells Fargo and I believe I could pee in their front lobby and they would ask me if I had a good experience and if there was anything else they could do for me.
Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:
The only good thing about this is that it happened the last week of the month. All my bills are paid and there's no outstanding checks written. Can you imagine the mess if a half dozen checks were still out there and got returned for NSF? $35 bank fees times six?
No chance they would have done that to you had you told them what happened. That said, if they did try to charge you, the best thing is to threaten to take your business elsewhere and tell them you're going to make sure people know what went down.
I bank at Wells Fargo and I believe I could pee in their front lobby and they would ask me if I had a good experience and if there was anything else they could do for me.
No chance they would have done that to you had you told them what happened. That said, if they did try to charge you, the best thing is to threaten to take your business elsewhere and tell them you're going to make sure people know what went down.
I bank at Wells Fargo and I believe I could pee in their front lobby and they would ask me if I had a good experience and if there was anything else they could do for me.
You are an idiot for even thinking of those things.
Quote Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:
No chance they would have done that to you had you told them what happened. That said, if they did try to charge you, the best thing is to threaten to take your business elsewhere and tell them you're going to make sure people know what went down.
I bank at Wells Fargo and I believe I could pee in their front lobby and they would ask me if I had a good experience and if there was anything else they could do for me.
You are an idiot for even thinking of those things.
I had the same thing happened to me yesterday for $210. I got an email
right away from paypal and went to dispute the charges. Literally within
10 minutes it was reversed! I hope yours is just as fast. "We've processed your recent claim that someone used your
account without your permission for this transaction, and decided the case in
your favor. Seller's Name: D-TIME Seller's Email: izajewel@yahoo.com
I had the same thing happened to me yesterday for $210. I got an email
right away from paypal and went to dispute the charges. Literally within
10 minutes it was reversed! I hope yours is just as fast. "We've processed your recent claim that someone used your
account without your permission for this transaction, and decided the case in
your favor. Seller's Name: D-TIME Seller's Email: izajewel@yahoo.com
And you think they care? I would assume it's already a high degree of crime if they are doing this by the hundreds or thousands of victims.
Some people won't notice smaller amounts missing or will it take them longer to notice.... vs. cleaning someones account completely that's Theft 101 right there
Quote Originally Posted by tjohnsont:
And you think they care? I would assume it's already a high degree of crime if they are doing this by the hundreds or thousands of victims.
Some people won't notice smaller amounts missing or will it take them longer to notice.... vs. cleaning someones account completely that's Theft 101 right there
The guy has probably been a good customer for many years. And he's going to have to take the $35 overdraft charge for every check because he someone hacked his account? Grow up. Banks will charge you anything they can and most people just sit back and take it. It's one thing if you screw up and have multiple overdrafts. It's quite another when someone hacks an account and steals your money.
Feel free to sit back and take it if it happens to you.
The guy has probably been a good customer for many years. And he's going to have to take the $35 overdraft charge for every check because he someone hacked his account? Grow up. Banks will charge you anything they can and most people just sit back and take it. It's one thing if you screw up and have multiple overdrafts. It's quite another when someone hacks an account and steals your money.
Feel free to sit back and take it if it happens to you.
Update: PayPal refunded the money. They said the bad transaction was traced back to Kosovo. I had to reset all my PayPal security, password, secret questions. Not as horrible a nightmare as I thought. Just hope it's all over.
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
Update: PayPal refunded the money. They said the bad transaction was traced back to Kosovo. I had to reset all my PayPal security, password, secret questions. Not as horrible a nightmare as I thought. Just hope it's all over.
Some people won't notice smaller amounts missing or will it take them longer to notice.... vs. cleaning someones account completely that's Theft 101 right there
Yea everyone knows that trick. Guess what? No one cares. They take what they can. These are different types of criminals.
Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:
Some people won't notice smaller amounts missing or will it take them longer to notice.... vs. cleaning someones account completely that's Theft 101 right there
Yea everyone knows that trick. Guess what? No one cares. They take what they can. These are different types of criminals.
Certainly troubling when something like that happens.
GoldenGoose, I am curious if you've noticed any strange e-mails or anything that might have given away you're user and password information? Any idea how they might have obtained such information?
Certainly troubling when something like that happens.
GoldenGoose, I am curious if you've noticed any strange e-mails or anything that might have given away you're user and password information? Any idea how they might have obtained such information?
Certainly troubling when something like that happens.
GoldenGoose, I am curious if you've noticed any strange e-mails or anything that might have given away you're user and password information? Any idea how they might have obtained such information?
I have no clue. I thought my PayPal password was very strong. It's scary when somebody can get into your checking account. Always try to keep my checking account under $1K to avoid this kind of stuff and check my account daily every morning.
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
Quote Originally Posted by Canada_Chris:
Certainly troubling when something like that happens.
GoldenGoose, I am curious if you've noticed any strange e-mails or anything that might have given away you're user and password information? Any idea how they might have obtained such information?
I have no clue. I thought my PayPal password was very strong. It's scary when somebody can get into your checking account. Always try to keep my checking account under $1K to avoid this kind of stuff and check my account daily every morning.