• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Having suicidal thoughts

    12 Next Last»
    SteelCash
    Killer_B
    TheGoldenGoose
    rr207
    SarasotaSlim
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3327
    Posts: 42
    12 Next Last»
     
    SteelCash
    SteelCash
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 5605
    Posted: Jun. 27, 2015 - 10:31 PM ET #1

    I'm not gonna act... and this isn't a cry for help.  

    I've had them for years, but only on an occasional basis.  I've generally been a happy dude up until lately with my health problems and all.  Had an acute stroke a year ago and now I can't find work.  Wife is the coolest person in the world.  I know she's stressed about money, but she never lets on.

    Oh... and I can't smoke because I'm trying to find work.  That is just what I need right now too.  

    I would never have the sack to end it.  The thought of giving up... The pain my friends and family would go through... and you can't reverse it.  I wish I could go to sleep for a year.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I'm not gonna act... and this isn't a cry for help.  

    I've had them for years, but only on an occasional basis.  I've generally been a happy dude up until lately with my health problems and all.  Had an acute stroke a year ago and now I can't find work.  Wife is the coolest person in the world.  I know she's stressed about money, but she never lets on.

    Oh... and I can't smoke because I'm trying to find work.  That is just what I need right now too.  

    I would never have the sack to end it.  The thought of giving up... The pain my friends and family would go through... and you can't reverse it.  I wish I could go to sleep for a year.
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6291
    Posted: Jun. 27, 2015 - 10:44 PM ET #2

    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. It does seem fixable. Try to exercise, even if it's going for long walks. It sounds like a foolish idea, but something happens to your mental attitude when you exercise. It may be very hard to start but it's worth it.

    I'm glad you are aware of what the alternative would do to the people that care about you. It's a selfish act and it's not right to hurt those close to you.

    I hope things get better for you.
    Reply
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. It does seem fixable. Try to exercise, even if it's going for long walks. It sounds like a foolish idea, but something happens to your mental attitude when you exercise. It may be very hard to start but it's worth it.

    I'm glad you are aware of what the alternative would do to the people that care about you. It's a selfish act and it's not right to hurt those close to you.

    I hope things get better for you.
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Jun. 27, 2015 - 11:12 PM ET #3


    Does Ohio have a Medical MJ law?

    Forget about a regular job.  Go find casual work at a local Work Bank where you can do daily jobs at your convenience.  If you can't do physical work, check out a Temp Agency that may find you Office or Telephone work.

    Also, get a Disability % from your doctor and apply for Social Security Disability Benefits.


    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Does Ohio have a Medical MJ law?

    Forget about a regular job.  Go find casual work at a local Work Bank where you can do daily jobs at your convenience.  If you can't do physical work, check out a Temp Agency that may find you Office or Telephone work.

    Also, get a Disability % from your doctor and apply for Social Security Disability Benefits.


     
    rr207
    rr207
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 3743
    Posted: Jun. 27, 2015 - 11:17 PM ET #4

    ^^^^


    This is exactly what you should do.


    Get yourself some drugs that treat depression, work your way out of your problems.  Start focusing on a new life. 
    Reply
    ^^^^


    This is exactly what you should do.


    Get yourself some drugs that treat depression, work your way out of your problems.  Start focusing on a new life. 
     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35524
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 12:11 AM ET #5

    SteelCash, get professional help now ..forget about getting a job at this time ..the thoughts you are having are not health...get professional help for your depression,, everything else comes second..get mentally health and you can be happy again no matter what the situation is..

    You rid yourself of those thoughts and that cool wife of yours will feel it too and probably won't feel as stressed...if you do that.. no matter what's going on or not going on ..you two can still be happy together..
    Reply
    SteelCash, get professional help now ..forget about getting a job at this time ..the thoughts you are having are not health...get professional help for your depression,, everything else comes second..get mentally health and you can be happy again no matter what the situation is..

    You rid yourself of those thoughts and that cool wife of yours will feel it too and probably won't feel as stressed...if you do that.. no matter what's going on or not going on ..you two can still be happy together..
     
    bettingforfun
    bettingforfun
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2014
    Posts: 2042
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 12:34 AM ET #6

    Steel I have battled depression for years.  Most people don't know about it because I was able to hide it pretty well.

    Slim is 110 % correct.  I kept thinking I could handle it on my own until one day my wife demanded I get medical help.  Up until that point I had been stubborn about it for about 14 years.  I swallowed my pride and made an appointment with my Dr.  Best thing I ever could have done.  I strongly urge you to do the same.

    Everyone is different but he put me on Zoloft and in about 3 weeks I was a changed person, literally.  Have him or her explain the benefits and drawbacks to drugs like Zoloft, Xanax etc...  I have been taking Zoloft for about 12 years now and it changed my life.  Like I said everyone is different so make sure the Dr discusses different options with you.  

    I am asking you to do one thing.  Make an appointment with your Dr. this week.  It's the first step and a very important one.  Monday morning I want to see a post by you that you made the call.  I will be checking back.



    Reply
    Steel I have battled depression for years.  Most people don't know about it because I was able to hide it pretty well.

    Slim is 110 % correct.  I kept thinking I could handle it on my own until one day my wife demanded I get medical help.  Up until that point I had been stubborn about it for about 14 years.  I swallowed my pride and made an appointment with my Dr.  Best thing I ever could have done.  I strongly urge you to do the same.

    Everyone is different but he put me on Zoloft and in about 3 weeks I was a changed person, literally.  Have him or her explain the benefits and drawbacks to drugs like Zoloft, Xanax etc...  I have been taking Zoloft for about 12 years now and it changed my life.  Like I said everyone is different so make sure the Dr discusses different options with you.  

    I am asking you to do one thing.  Make an appointment with your Dr. this week.  It's the first step and a very important one.  Monday morning I want to see a post by you that you made the call.  I will be checking back.



     
    Raiders22
    Raiders22
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 34500
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 12:51 AM ET #7

    I agree with the guys above. See your doctor and get referred to a good counselor or therapist.  Also it might be good to join a support group.  The mind is a very tricky thing. You have to be careful sometimes. 
    Reply
    I agree with the guys above. See your doctor and get referred to a good counselor or therapist.  Also it might be good to join a support group.  The mind is a very tricky thing. You have to be careful sometimes. 
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 7:39 AM ET #8

    Topic: Having suicidal thoughts



    Maybe all you want is a Pepsi, but you're mom won't give it to you.....

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ
    Reply
    Topic: Having suicidal thoughts



    Maybe all you want is a Pepsi, but you're mom won't give it to you.....

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 11:34 AM ET #9

    Steel, a permanent solution to a temporary problem is not the way to go..................

    We need you here, bro.

    Talk to Europa, BenHogan, Bigkolo74, and Banans about quitting smoking. I got into a thread April 15 a few years ago about. I wouldn't say life-changing, but life-extending is the path many chose.

    PM me if you chose
    Reply
    Steel, a permanent solution to a temporary problem is not the way to go..................

    We need you here, bro.

    Talk to Europa, BenHogan, Bigkolo74, and Banans about quitting smoking. I got into a thread April 15 a few years ago about. I wouldn't say life-changing, but life-extending is the path many chose.

    PM me if you chose
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 11:42 AM ET #10

    Steel, your thread a few days ago about thinking of moving to Europe shows that you are planning for the future.........

    Everybody has fleeting negative thoughts about everything:

    "I knew my car was going to break down...."

    "I should have taken the Under....."

    "My printer is out of toner? Son of a.............."
    Reply
    Steel, your thread a few days ago about thinking of moving to Europe shows that you are planning for the future.........

    Everybody has fleeting negative thoughts about everything:

    "I knew my car was going to break down...."

    "I should have taken the Under....."

    "My printer is out of toner? Son of a.............."
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 1:09 PM ET #11

    Don't underestimate the power of nicotine addiction, it's right up there with heroin. Try to remind yourself often that it's the drug playing games with your mind. Hang in there, life is brutal on all of us, but there are some great moments that make it all worth while.

    Gym is the best place to manage anything that's going through your mind.

     

    Reply

    Don't underestimate the power of nicotine addiction, it's right up there with heroin. Try to remind yourself often that it's the drug playing games with your mind. Hang in there, life is brutal on all of us, but there are some great moments that make it all worth while.

    Gym is the best place to manage anything that's going through your mind.

     

     
    vetdrm
    vetdrm
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2003
    Posts: 14987
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 1:48 PM ET #12

    What kind of work have you done in the past?
    Reply
    What kind of work have you done in the past?
     
    Biscuit
    Biscuit
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 2409
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 2:34 PM ET #13

    Props to you SteelCash, for having the guts to talk about this.  

    There's give-and-take in each of our lives.    We pay taxes, we help others, when we can.    But sometimes, we need to take help from others.    Don't be shy about doing that.    You can get help whether you have money, or not.    Just ask for it.

    Here's one place that you can start

    https://suicide.org/


    Reply

    Props to you SteelCash, for having the guts to talk about this.  

    There's give-and-take in each of our lives.    We pay taxes, we help others, when we can.    But sometimes, we need to take help from others.    Don't be shy about doing that.    You can get help whether you have money, or not.    Just ask for it.

    Here's one place that you can start

    https://suicide.org/


     
    Biscuit
    Biscuit
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 2409
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 2:45 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Steel, a permanent solution to a temporary problem is not the way to go..................

    We need you here, bro.

    Talk to Europa, BenHogan, Bigkolo74, and Banans about quitting smoking. I got into a thread April 15 a few years ago about. I wouldn't say life-changing, but life-extending is the path many chose.

    PM me if you chose


    Yep.  

    Intelligent, creative, funny people are more prone to depression than the average person. Those are the ones we need the most.

    One of the funniest books I've ever read is "A Confederacy of Dunces".by John Kennedy Toole. He committed suicide in 1969 at age 31, partly because he couldn't get his book published. Years later, his mother found the manuscript, and dogged a publisher to get it printed. It was finally published, ten years after his death. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It was one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. I wish that the author would have stuck around, to write more books for us, instead of choosing a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Steel, a permanent solution to a temporary problem is not the way to go..................

    We need you here, bro.

    Talk to Europa, BenHogan, Bigkolo74, and Banans about quitting smoking. I got into a thread April 15 a few years ago about. I wouldn't say life-changing, but life-extending is the path many chose.

    PM me if you chose


    Yep.  

    Intelligent, creative, funny people are more prone to depression than the average person. Those are the ones we need the most.

    One of the funniest books I've ever read is "A Confederacy of Dunces".by John Kennedy Toole. He committed suicide in 1969 at age 31, partly because he couldn't get his book published. Years later, his mother found the manuscript, and dogged a publisher to get it printed. It was finally published, ten years after his death. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It was one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. I wish that the author would have stuck around, to write more books for us, instead of choosing a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces


     
    jmw59
    jmw59
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 14430
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2015 - 3:35 PM ET #15

    Lack of Sack.............I'm down with that bro.  Listen to Hawk.  He's helped me with this before.  We want you here bro.  The world is a better place with you here.

    Hang in there.
    Reply
    Lack of Sack.............I'm down with that bro.  Listen to Hawk.  He's helped me with this before.  We want you here bro.  The world is a better place with you here.

    Hang in there.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 12:51 AM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:

    Steel I have battled depression for years.  Most people don't know about it because I was able to hide it pretty well.

    Slim is 110 % correct.  I kept thinking I could handle it on my own until one day my wife demanded I get medical help.  Up until that point I had been stubborn about it for about 14 years.  I swallowed my pride and made an appointment with my Dr.  Best thing I ever could have done.  I strongly urge you to do the same.

    Everyone is different but he put me on Zoloft and in about 3 weeks I was a changed person, literally.  Have him or her explain the benefits and drawbacks to drugs like Zoloft, Xanax etc...  I have been taking Zoloft for about 12 years now and it changed my life.  Like I said everyone is different so make sure the Dr discusses different options with you.  

    I am asking you to do one thing.  Make an appointment with your Dr. this week.  It's the first step and a very important one.  Monday morning I want to see a post by you that you made the call.  I will be checking back.



    12 years???

    I believe you but I thought the treatment of depression is through medication initially (coupled with therapy) with the patient eventually weaned off of what is prescribed.

    If 12 years, what prevents the doc from prescribing them for 25 years (given you said they had their best effect after 3 weeks)?

     

    Steel,

    I am sorry to hear you had a stroke. Tough break.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:

    Steel I have battled depression for years.  Most people don't know about it because I was able to hide it pretty well.

    Slim is 110 % correct.  I kept thinking I could handle it on my own until one day my wife demanded I get medical help.  Up until that point I had been stubborn about it for about 14 years.  I swallowed my pride and made an appointment with my Dr.  Best thing I ever could have done.  I strongly urge you to do the same.

    Everyone is different but he put me on Zoloft and in about 3 weeks I was a changed person, literally.  Have him or her explain the benefits and drawbacks to drugs like Zoloft, Xanax etc...  I have been taking Zoloft for about 12 years now and it changed my life.  Like I said everyone is different so make sure the Dr discusses different options with you.  

    I am asking you to do one thing.  Make an appointment with your Dr. this week.  It's the first step and a very important one.  Monday morning I want to see a post by you that you made the call.  I will be checking back.



    12 years???

    I believe you but I thought the treatment of depression is through medication initially (coupled with therapy) with the patient eventually weaned off of what is prescribed.

    If 12 years, what prevents the doc from prescribing them for 25 years (given you said they had their best effect after 3 weeks)?

     

    Steel,

    I am sorry to hear you had a stroke. Tough break.

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 12:52 AM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit:


    Yep.  

    Intelligent, creative, funny people are more prone to depression than the average person. Those are the ones we need the most.

    One of the funniest books I've ever read is "A Confederacy of Dunces".by John Kennedy Toole. He committed suicide in 1969 at age 31, partly because he couldn't get his book published. Years later, his mother found the manuscript, and dogged a publisher to get it printed. It was finally published, ten years after his death. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It was one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. I wish that the author would have stuck around, to write more books for us, instead of choosing a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces


    Nice story.

    Maybe I'll read it...

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit:


    Yep.  

    Intelligent, creative, funny people are more prone to depression than the average person. Those are the ones we need the most.

    One of the funniest books I've ever read is "A Confederacy of Dunces".by John Kennedy Toole. He committed suicide in 1969 at age 31, partly because he couldn't get his book published. Years later, his mother found the manuscript, and dogged a publisher to get it printed. It was finally published, ten years after his death. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It was one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. I wish that the author would have stuck around, to write more books for us, instead of choosing a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces


    Nice story.

    Maybe I'll read it...

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 1:35 AM ET #18

    Espn Cub bettors like myself tonight are going flood this thread in the morning.
    Reply
    Espn Cub bettors like myself tonight are going flood this thread in the morning.
     
    Nut_Flopper
    Nut_Flopper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 2413
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 3:04 AM ET #19

    Hang in there man. I have been battling depression the past 3 years. I think I have been inclined to depression my whole life but have had a pretty decent life up until the past couple of years which really set it off.

    I too occasionally have those thoughts, I think most people do at some point in their lives. Could never do it though, like you lack of sack and the thought of what it would do to my mom. Plus as dumb as this sounds who is going to take care of my dog as good as I do...

    Long story but job loss, business dried up had to sell my house and move to a not so ideal location plus a DUI sent me into a downward spiral. Figured business would eventually pick up again but it didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame for being complacent.

    I am 48 and think at my age I should be cruising through life and I was. Never had any financial hardships. Now I think how the F did I get to where I am now. Been burning through my savings the last few years and it is running out. Making a small percentage of what I did a few years ago. Taking such a huge step backwards at this point in my life has really been massive blow to my ego. I guess I place too much emphasis on being successful. I understand why stock brokers jump out windows.

    I have been stubborn about it and have not went to a Dr. also lack of insurance now. Seriously thinking about it though as a last ditch effort. I have swings where one day I think everything will be ok if I can just find some steady income then the next day I am a worthless loser with no hope.

    For now just trying to stay healthy and active, I have kept it pretty much to myself but recently started talking about it to a few people in similar situations and it really helps. The one thing I thought was I am the only one with these problems when there are a lot of people struggling.

    Talk to somebody about what you are feeling, your wife, a friend whoever it really turned me around instead of keeping it bottled up.

    Hopefully find some stable employment soon and everything will be sunshine and roses again.




    Reply
    Hang in there man. I have been battling depression the past 3 years. I think I have been inclined to depression my whole life but have had a pretty decent life up until the past couple of years which really set it off.

    I too occasionally have those thoughts, I think most people do at some point in their lives. Could never do it though, like you lack of sack and the thought of what it would do to my mom. Plus as dumb as this sounds who is going to take care of my dog as good as I do...

    Long story but job loss, business dried up had to sell my house and move to a not so ideal location plus a DUI sent me into a downward spiral. Figured business would eventually pick up again but it didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame for being complacent.

    I am 48 and think at my age I should be cruising through life and I was. Never had any financial hardships. Now I think how the F did I get to where I am now. Been burning through my savings the last few years and it is running out. Making a small percentage of what I did a few years ago. Taking such a huge step backwards at this point in my life has really been massive blow to my ego. I guess I place too much emphasis on being successful. I understand why stock brokers jump out windows.

    I have been stubborn about it and have not went to a Dr. also lack of insurance now. Seriously thinking about it though as a last ditch effort. I have swings where one day I think everything will be ok if I can just find some steady income then the next day I am a worthless loser with no hope.

    For now just trying to stay healthy and active, I have kept it pretty much to myself but recently started talking about it to a few people in similar situations and it really helps. The one thing I thought was I am the only one with these problems when there are a lot of people struggling.

    Talk to somebody about what you are feeling, your wife, a friend whoever it really turned me around instead of keeping it bottled up.

    Hopefully find some stable employment soon and everything will be sunshine and roses again.




     
    bettingforfun
    bettingforfun
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2014
    Posts: 2042
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 10:18 AM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    12 years???

    I believe you but I thought the treatment of depression is through medication initially (coupled with therapy) with the patient eventually weaned off of what is prescribed.

    If 12 years, what prevents the doc from prescribing them for 25 years (given you said they had their best effect after 3 weeks)?

     

    Steel,

    I am sorry to hear you had a stroke. Tough break.


    I talked to my Doc about any long term effects and he said there weren't any that are known.  It takes around 3 weeks to start taking effect.

    Basically he explained it to me like this.  There are connections in the brain that need to be made.  Sometimes these connections are broken.  Drugs like Zoloft help make the connection.  I have never had any side effects that I am aware of so I just keep taking them. Therefore I don't see a reason to stop.  If side effects kick in I would do something else.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    12 years???

    I believe you but I thought the treatment of depression is through medication initially (coupled with therapy) with the patient eventually weaned off of what is prescribed.

    If 12 years, what prevents the doc from prescribing them for 25 years (given you said they had their best effect after 3 weeks)?

     

    Steel,

    I am sorry to hear you had a stroke. Tough break.


    I talked to my Doc about any long term effects and he said there weren't any that are known.  It takes around 3 weeks to start taking effect.

    Basically he explained it to me like this.  There are connections in the brain that need to be made.  Sometimes these connections are broken.  Drugs like Zoloft help make the connection.  I have never had any side effects that I am aware of so I just keep taking them. Therefore I don't see a reason to stop.  If side effects kick in I would do something else.
     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35524
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 12:37 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Espn Cub bettors like myself tonight are going flood this thread in the morning.

    LOL...Hello is that you Steve Bartman ?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Espn Cub bettors like myself tonight are going flood this thread in the morning.

    LOL...Hello is that you Steve Bartman ?

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 11:32 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:


    I talked to my Doc about any long term effects and he said there weren't any that are known.  It takes around 3 weeks to start taking effect.

    Basically he explained it to me like this.  There are connections in the brain that need to be made.  Sometimes these connections are broken.  Drugs like Zoloft help make the connection.  I have never had any side effects that I am aware of so I just keep taking them. Therefore I don't see a reason to stop.  If side effects kick in I would do something else.

    I agree with all of that.

    The problem is the dependency for a dozen years (and a dozen years of refills which your insurance, in part, might have a problem with, but obviously you haven't encountered any).

    I can't speak to this on any neurological level but I would think the aforementioned connections are now there and you may be able to stop taking Zoloft, or at a minimum, inquire about not taking it with your physician, given you are now better (if you truly feel you are better).

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:


    I talked to my Doc about any long term effects and he said there weren't any that are known.  It takes around 3 weeks to start taking effect.

    Basically he explained it to me like this.  There are connections in the brain that need to be made.  Sometimes these connections are broken.  Drugs like Zoloft help make the connection.  I have never had any side effects that I am aware of so I just keep taking them. Therefore I don't see a reason to stop.  If side effects kick in I would do something else.

    I agree with all of that.

    The problem is the dependency for a dozen years (and a dozen years of refills which your insurance, in part, might have a problem with, but obviously you haven't encountered any).

    I can't speak to this on any neurological level but I would think the aforementioned connections are now there and you may be able to stop taking Zoloft, or at a minimum, inquire about not taking it with your physician, given you are now better (if you truly feel you are better).

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jun. 29, 2015 - 11:34 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by Nut_Flopper:

    Hang in there man. I have been battling depression the past 3 years. I think I have been inclined to depression my whole life but have had a pretty decent life up until the past couple of years which really set it off.

    I too occasionally have those thoughts, I think most people do at some point in their lives. Could never do it though, like you lack of sack and the thought of what it would do to my mom. Plus as dumb as this sounds who is going to take care of my dog as good as I do...

    Long story but job loss, business dried up had to sell my house and move to a not so ideal location plus a DUI sent me into a downward spiral. Figured business would eventually pick up again but it didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame for being complacent.

    I am 48 and think at my age I should be cruising through life and I was. Never had any financial hardships. Now I think how the F did I get to where I am now. Been burning through my savings the last few years and it is running out. Making a small percentage of what I did a few years ago. Taking such a huge step backwards at this point in my life has really been massive blow to my ego. I guess I place too much emphasis on being successful. I understand why stock brokers jump out windows.

    I have been stubborn about it and have not went to a Dr. also lack of insurance now. Seriously thinking about it though as a last ditch effort. I have swings where one day I think everything will be ok if I can just find some steady income then the next day I am a worthless loser with no hope.

    For now just trying to stay healthy and active, I have kept it pretty much to myself but recently started talking about it to a few people in similar situations and it really helps. The one thing I thought was I am the only one with these problems when there are a lot of people struggling.

    Talk to somebody about what you are feeling, your wife, a friend whoever it really turned me around instead of keeping it bottled up.

    Hopefully find some stable employment soon and everything will be sunshine and roses again.




    It's simply the wrong career at the wrong time. Not your fault whatsoever.

    If you were born three decades earlier and made the exact same career choice decisions you might be the very epitome of the All-American earner.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Nut_Flopper:

    Hang in there man. I have been battling depression the past 3 years. I think I have been inclined to depression my whole life but have had a pretty decent life up until the past couple of years which really set it off.

    I too occasionally have those thoughts, I think most people do at some point in their lives. Could never do it though, like you lack of sack and the thought of what it would do to my mom. Plus as dumb as this sounds who is going to take care of my dog as good as I do...

    Long story but job loss, business dried up had to sell my house and move to a not so ideal location plus a DUI sent me into a downward spiral. Figured business would eventually pick up again but it didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame for being complacent.

    I am 48 and think at my age I should be cruising through life and I was. Never had any financial hardships. Now I think how the F did I get to where I am now. Been burning through my savings the last few years and it is running out. Making a small percentage of what I did a few years ago. Taking such a huge step backwards at this point in my life has really been massive blow to my ego. I guess I place too much emphasis on being successful. I understand why stock brokers jump out windows.

    I have been stubborn about it and have not went to a Dr. also lack of insurance now. Seriously thinking about it though as a last ditch effort. I have swings where one day I think everything will be ok if I can just find some steady income then the next day I am a worthless loser with no hope.

    For now just trying to stay healthy and active, I have kept it pretty much to myself but recently started talking about it to a few people in similar situations and it really helps. The one thing I thought was I am the only one with these problems when there are a lot of people struggling.

    Talk to somebody about what you are feeling, your wife, a friend whoever it really turned me around instead of keeping it bottled up.

    Hopefully find some stable employment soon and everything will be sunshine and roses again.




    It's simply the wrong career at the wrong time. Not your fault whatsoever.

    If you were born three decades earlier and made the exact same career choice decisions you might be the very epitome of the All-American earner.

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Jun. 30, 2015 - 9:58 AM ET #24


    C'mon Steel...  You don't start a Thread like this and then disappear. 
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    C'mon Steel...  You don't start a Thread like this and then disappear. 
     
     
    MclatchyHostage
    MclatchyHostage
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2007
    Posts: 1479
    Posted: Jun. 30, 2015 - 11:34 AM ET #25

    i've been a smoker for 15 years... I watched this video with an open mind 2 weeks ago and haven't had a cigarette since. I am done. Quitting has been much easier for me than I had anticipated. 

    This video isnt gruesome or geared towards trying to scare you, it just looks at the psychology of smoking and why we do it. I recommend watching it and just being open minded.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJo1vfEqlo
    Reply
    i've been a smoker for 15 years... I watched this video with an open mind 2 weeks ago and haven't had a cigarette since. I am done. Quitting has been much easier for me than I had anticipated. 

    This video isnt gruesome or geared towards trying to scare you, it just looks at the psychology of smoking and why we do it. I recommend watching it and just being open minded.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJo1vfEqlo
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,357
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,907
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 437
    • PART DEUX 163
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 850
    • Week 6 Money 8,656
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,854
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,793
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,311
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,265

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.