• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Have any of you fellas ever collected Baseball cards?

    «First Previous 12
    Slobbasaurus
    SwishSwish1234
    sports_Network
    searchwarrant
    jamesxnj
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3549
    Posts: 47
    «First Previous 12
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 8:38 AM ET #26

    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    So Slob, Being a Jets/Nets fan, Would that prevent you from collecting Giants/Knicks players cards or were you very specific?

    Well of course I would still hold on to them if they came in a pack.  As I mentioned, I wasn't a traditional card collector.  

    My classmates and I used to trade them at recess, and I'm almost certain I traded away more valuable ones.

    By the way, good topic of discussion.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    So Slob, Being a Jets/Nets fan, Would that prevent you from collecting Giants/Knicks players cards or were you very specific?

    Well of course I would still hold on to them if they came in a pack.  As I mentioned, I wasn't a traditional card collector.  

    My classmates and I used to trade them at recess, and I'm almost certain I traded away more valuable ones.

    By the way, good topic of discussion.  
     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 11:03 AM ET #27

    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    started at eight, never stopped, got em' all

    anyone interested in trading, buying, or selling, PM me..


    Is getting a card graded important mate? What i mean is, If you have a run of the mill card will getting it graded make any difference? or if you had say a Griffey jnr rookie card or a Mickey Mantle card wouldn't the card hold significant value on itself even without it being graded? Only reason i ask is some people say it costs too much to get a card graded. Apologize in advance if these are dumb questions but i am a limey, I know how it feels when an American asks a question about the offside rule. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    started at eight, never stopped, got em' all

    anyone interested in trading, buying, or selling, PM me..


    Is getting a card graded important mate? What i mean is, If you have a run of the mill card will getting it graded make any difference? or if you had say a Griffey jnr rookie card or a Mickey Mantle card wouldn't the card hold significant value on itself even without it being graded? Only reason i ask is some people say it costs too much to get a card graded. Apologize in advance if these are dumb questions but i am a limey, I know how it feels when an American asks a question about the offside rule. 
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 11:26 AM ET #28

    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    Is getting a card graded important mate? What i mean is, If you have a run of the mill card will getting it graded make any difference? or if you had say a Griffey jnr rookie card or a Mickey Mantle card wouldn't the card hold significant value on itself even without it being graded? Only reason i ask is some people say it costs too much to get a card graded. Apologize in advance if these are dumb questions but i am a limey, I know how it feels when an American asks a question about the offside rule. 
    Not dumb at all...baseball cards are like collecting coins, the 'condition'' and the rarity, are a priority, all cards are collectables, rookie cards of superstars are a premium, next are hall of famers. Cards speak for themselves, grading, or appraising a baseball card is unessential, and has no real relevance to it's value, which comes in many degrees.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    Is getting a card graded important mate? What i mean is, If you have a run of the mill card will getting it graded make any difference? or if you had say a Griffey jnr rookie card or a Mickey Mantle card wouldn't the card hold significant value on itself even without it being graded? Only reason i ask is some people say it costs too much to get a card graded. Apologize in advance if these are dumb questions but i am a limey, I know how it feels when an American asks a question about the offside rule. 
    Not dumb at all...baseball cards are like collecting coins, the 'condition'' and the rarity, are a priority, all cards are collectables, rookie cards of superstars are a premium, next are hall of famers. Cards speak for themselves, grading, or appraising a baseball card is unessential, and has no real relevance to it's value, which comes in many degrees.
     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 11:48 AM ET #29

    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    Not dumb at all...baseball cards are like collecting coins, the 'condition'' and the rarity, are a priority, all cards are collectables, rookie cards of superstars are a premium, next are hall of famers. Cards speak for themselves, grading, or appraising a baseball card is unessential, and has no real relevance to it's value, which comes in many degrees.

    Hall of famers and rookie cards, Gotcha, What about having a complete set of cards of a World Series winning team (topps and fleer etc) from the early 90's or late 80's? Will that fetch some moolah? 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    Not dumb at all...baseball cards are like collecting coins, the 'condition'' and the rarity, are a priority, all cards are collectables, rookie cards of superstars are a premium, next are hall of famers. Cards speak for themselves, grading, or appraising a baseball card is unessential, and has no real relevance to it's value, which comes in many degrees.

    Hall of famers and rookie cards, Gotcha, What about having a complete set of cards of a World Series winning team (topps and fleer etc) from the early 90's or late 80's? Will that fetch some moolah? 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 3:12 PM ET #30

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:


    Search, I have not collected in many years, but did collect vintage football cards for some time, and have a pretty good collection.

    I don't consider Lambert, Stallworth, et al, to be "vintage" but if they are in good condition, and you are serious about needing some money, shoot me a PM and we can discuss 


    I definitely will. Have to get over to the storage unit first. I'll send you a FR.
    Amazing cards in there.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:


    Search, I have not collected in many years, but did collect vintage football cards for some time, and have a pretty good collection.

    I don't consider Lambert, Stallworth, et al, to be "vintage" but if they are in good condition, and you are serious about needing some money, shoot me a PM and we can discuss 


    I definitely will. Have to get over to the storage unit first. I'll send you a FR.
    Amazing cards in there.
     
    jamesxnj
    jamesxnj
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 1093
    Posted: Aug. 26, 2016 - 7:32 PM ET #31

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Not baseball as I always found that sport incredibly boring. 

    I used to collect NHL, NBA and NFL cards; particularly Topps and Upper Deck.

    I used to love playing sports and watching them as a kid, and I didn't really collect them at the time as a value investment.  It was more of me being a huge sportsfan.  

    I just preferred collecting my favorite players from the Jets, Nets and Devils; among other childhood sports heroes.  

    Hey Slob,you brought back a memory for me from the 60's I was a kid and Coca-Cola did a promotion one summer.They gave out sheets of Giants and Jets players and you had to glue the corresponding bottle cap to it.Get them all and you got a small football or something else I don't remember now..Used to ride my bike all over town with a magnet on a string.All I gotta do is smell a coke bottle cap and it brings me right back.Kinda actually got me into football as I was a little leaguer and big into baseball and cards..Had a decent size shoebox of cards and as kids we'd pitch them at recess.freaking nuns would confiscate ad nauseum..

    As an adult searched my parents's home attic hoping to find a few strays or comic books but no luck..Early 60's stuff oh man..

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    Not baseball as I always found that sport incredibly boring. 

    I used to collect NHL, NBA and NFL cards; particularly Topps and Upper Deck.

    I used to love playing sports and watching them as a kid, and I didn't really collect them at the time as a value investment.  It was more of me being a huge sportsfan.  

    I just preferred collecting my favorite players from the Jets, Nets and Devils; among other childhood sports heroes.  

    Hey Slob,you brought back a memory for me from the 60's I was a kid and Coca-Cola did a promotion one summer.They gave out sheets of Giants and Jets players and you had to glue the corresponding bottle cap to it.Get them all and you got a small football or something else I don't remember now..Used to ride my bike all over town with a magnet on a string.All I gotta do is smell a coke bottle cap and it brings me right back.Kinda actually got me into football as I was a little leaguer and big into baseball and cards..Had a decent size shoebox of cards and as kids we'd pitch them at recess.freaking nuns would confiscate ad nauseum..

    As an adult searched my parents's home attic hoping to find a few strays or comic books but no luck..Early 60's stuff oh man..

     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Aug. 27, 2016 - 6:31 AM ET #32

    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    Hall of famers and rookie cards, Gotcha, What about having a complete set of cards of a World Series winning team (topps and fleer etc) from the early 90's or late 80's? Will that fetch some moolah? 
    Yes, in 'mint' condition only...however, don't expect a major score, it would be in your best interest to hold on to them for a few more years before putting them on ebay for an auction sale format...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:


    Hall of famers and rookie cards, Gotcha, What about having a complete set of cards of a World Series winning team (topps and fleer etc) from the early 90's or late 80's? Will that fetch some moolah? 
    Yes, in 'mint' condition only...however, don't expect a major score, it would be in your best interest to hold on to them for a few more years before putting them on ebay for an auction sale format...
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Aug. 27, 2016 - 6:51 AM ET #33

    check  deanscards.com

     

    Reply

    check  deanscards.com

     

     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Aug. 27, 2016 - 3:11 PM ET #34

    I might need to get my hands on some Corey Seager and Gary Sanchez cards.
    Reply
    I might need to get my hands on some Corey Seager and Gary Sanchez cards.
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Aug. 29, 2016 - 9:22 AM ET #35

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesxnj:

    Hey Slob,you brought back a memory for me from the 60's I was a kid and Coca-Cola did a promotion one summer.They gave out sheets of Giants and Jets players and you had to glue the corresponding bottle cap to it.Get them all and you got a small football or something else I don't remember now..Used to ride my bike all over town with a magnet on a string.All I gotta do is smell a coke bottle cap and it brings me right back.Kinda actually got me into football as I was a little leaguer and big into baseball and cards..Had a decent size shoebox of cards and as kids we'd pitch them at recess.freaking nuns would confiscate ad nauseum..

    As an adult searched my parents's home attic hoping to find a few strays or comic books but no luck..Early 60's stuff oh man..


    Awesome story man.  

    I was also a big fan of collecting these Legends Toy sets of my favorite players.  You're older than me so I'm not sure whether they were introduced when you were a little boy.  I used to love these things

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sports+model+sets&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVlqiY2-bOAhVLlh4KHdaQDHsQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=nfl+lawrence+taylor+legends+toy+model+sets&imgrc=KrisKeh38NGfNM%3A


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesxnj:

    Hey Slob,you brought back a memory for me from the 60's I was a kid and Coca-Cola did a promotion one summer.They gave out sheets of Giants and Jets players and you had to glue the corresponding bottle cap to it.Get them all and you got a small football or something else I don't remember now..Used to ride my bike all over town with a magnet on a string.All I gotta do is smell a coke bottle cap and it brings me right back.Kinda actually got me into football as I was a little leaguer and big into baseball and cards..Had a decent size shoebox of cards and as kids we'd pitch them at recess.freaking nuns would confiscate ad nauseum..

    As an adult searched my parents's home attic hoping to find a few strays or comic books but no luck..Early 60's stuff oh man..


    Awesome story man.  

    I was also a big fan of collecting these Legends Toy sets of my favorite players.  You're older than me so I'm not sure whether they were introduced when you were a little boy.  I used to love these things

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sports+model+sets&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVlqiY2-bOAhVLlh4KHdaQDHsQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=nfl+lawrence+taylor+legends+toy+model+sets&imgrc=KrisKeh38NGfNM%3A


     
    jamesxnj
    jamesxnj
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 1093
    Posted: Aug. 29, 2016 - 12:08 PM ET #36

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:


    Awesome story man.  

    I was also a big fan of collecting these Legends Toy sets of my favorite players.  You're older than me so I'm not sure whether they were introduced when you were a little boy.  I used to love these things

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sports+model+sets&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVlqiY2-bOAhVLlh4KHdaQDHsQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=nfl+lawrence+taylor+legends+toy+model+sets&imgrc=KrisKeh38NGfNM%3A


    Yeah kinda past my time but I'd bet my nephew had some along with all the transformer toys I pounded him with in the 80's

    Some cool ones of both types on ebay.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:


    Awesome story man.  

    I was also a big fan of collecting these Legends Toy sets of my favorite players.  You're older than me so I'm not sure whether they were introduced when you were a little boy.  I used to love these things

    https://www.google.com/search?q=sports+model+sets&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVlqiY2-bOAhVLlh4KHdaQDHsQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=nfl+lawrence+taylor+legends+toy+model+sets&imgrc=KrisKeh38NGfNM%3A


    Yeah kinda past my time but I'd bet my nephew had some along with all the transformer toys I pounded him with in the 80's

    Some cool ones of both types on ebay.

     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Aug. 29, 2016 - 12:19 PM ET #37

    I was also an 80s/early 90s kid but I was more of a GI Joe and Ninja Turtles guy.

    Along with Transformers, I'm sure your nephew was also in to Thundercats and/or He-Man.  GI Joe and the original Ninja Turtles was a big thing in the 80s.

    I look at the cartoons now and just shake my head.  Sponge Bob Square pants?  Ugh, we're raising a generation of pu$$ies, haha.

    My nephew was born in 2001 and he used  to watch the 1970s Spiderman cartoon when he was 6 or 7.  It was his favorite.  
    Reply
    I was also an 80s/early 90s kid but I was more of a GI Joe and Ninja Turtles guy.

    Along with Transformers, I'm sure your nephew was also in to Thundercats and/or He-Man.  GI Joe and the original Ninja Turtles was a big thing in the 80s.

    I look at the cartoons now and just shake my head.  Sponge Bob Square pants?  Ugh, we're raising a generation of pu$$ies, haha.

    My nephew was born in 2001 and he used  to watch the 1970s Spiderman cartoon when he was 6 or 7.  It was his favorite.  
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Aug. 29, 2016 - 7:15 PM ET #38

    https://www.beckett.com/news/babe-ruth-pete-rose-rookie-cards-hit-70000-and-other-six-figure-heritage-auctions-card-sales/




    $71K for the Kobe really blows my mind.   
    Reply
    https://www.beckett.com/news/babe-ruth-pete-rose-rookie-cards-hit-70000-and-other-six-figure-heritage-auctions-card-sales/




    $71K for the Kobe really blows my mind.   
     
    buitrondana155
    buitrondana155
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2016
    Posts: 68
    Posted: Aug. 29, 2016 - 9:49 PM ET #39

    My brother collects these cards. It was kept in a photo album. Started when he was  18 I guess.. now he's 28 and still trades a few. Must be fun! 
    Reply
    My brother collects these cards. It was kept in a photo album. Started when he was  18 I guess.. now he's 28 and still trades a few. Must be fun! 
     
    rainmaker1855
    rainmaker1855
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2016
    Posts: 738
    Posted: Aug. 30, 2016 - 10:24 AM ET #40

    I mean, I used to collect in a pretty loose sense of the term.  but yea, it was fun, made you watch more games and it was being part of a little community.  it can be an expensive hobby tho, so I think that is a big reason why people aren't gravitating towards it (plus cards in general are down in terms of popularity.)
    Reply
    I mean, I used to collect in a pretty loose sense of the term.  but yea, it was fun, made you watch more games and it was being part of a little community.  it can be an expensive hobby tho, so I think that is a big reason why people aren't gravitating towards it (plus cards in general are down in terms of popularity.)
     
    TRAIN69
    TRAIN69
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2002
    Posts: 55727
    Posted: Sep. 1, 2016 - 11:39 PM ET #41

    The companies turned it from a hobby to a money grab with chase cards (inserts, autos, jerseys etc). Then they started grading  the cards.....Turned it into an adult treasure hunt....

    Packs used to cost less than a buck....now ya cant get nothing decent for under $5. I have some I'll probably keep forever....just cause they take me back to my childhood


    Reply
    The companies turned it from a hobby to a money grab with chase cards (inserts, autos, jerseys etc). Then they started grading  the cards.....Turned it into an adult treasure hunt....

    Packs used to cost less than a buck....now ya cant get nothing decent for under $5. I have some I'll probably keep forever....just cause they take me back to my childhood


     
    SwishSwish1234
    SwishSwish1234
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2011
    Posts: 3173
    Posted: Sep. 2, 2016 - 9:35 AM ET #42

    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

    The companies turned it from a hobby to a money grab with chase cards (inserts, autos, jerseys etc). Then they started grading  the cards.....Turned it into an adult treasure hunt....

    Packs used to cost less than a buck....now ya cant get nothing decent for under $5. I have some I'll probably keep forever....just cause they take me back to my childhood



    Totally agree Train, All this relic card nonsense, Refractor this refractor that and they have even started digital cards, I just hope they don't saturate the purity of the art even more.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

    The companies turned it from a hobby to a money grab with chase cards (inserts, autos, jerseys etc). Then they started grading  the cards.....Turned it into an adult treasure hunt....

    Packs used to cost less than a buck....now ya cant get nothing decent for under $5. I have some I'll probably keep forever....just cause they take me back to my childhood



    Totally agree Train, All this relic card nonsense, Refractor this refractor that and they have even started digital cards, I just hope they don't saturate the purity of the art even more.
     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2016 - 11:08 PM ET #43

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    I collected from about 1980-1992. In 1989 Upper Deck came out and I had a connection to a card shop owner and I bought a case of high number boxes for $700. Two weeks later he offered to buy it back for $900, then about a month later for $1,100. Figured I had hit the jackpot.

    Within a year or so the case was worth over 4k, and I should have sold it then. Still have it today and might be able to get $1,300-1,400 for it.

     

    I remember that '89 Upper Deck.. Such a prized possession.  I think I still have 2 or 3 sets of that one.   I was way into the card collecting biz back then.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

    I collected from about 1980-1992. In 1989 Upper Deck came out and I had a connection to a card shop owner and I bought a case of high number boxes for $700. Two weeks later he offered to buy it back for $900, then about a month later for $1,100. Figured I had hit the jackpot.

    Within a year or so the case was worth over 4k, and I should have sold it then. Still have it today and might be able to get $1,300-1,400 for it.

     

    I remember that '89 Upper Deck.. Such a prized possession.  I think I still have 2 or 3 sets of that one.   I was way into the card collecting biz back then.

     

     
    Dutch1976
    Dutch1976
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 1934
    Posted: Sep. 18, 2016 - 10:39 PM ET #44

    I collected from about 86-92. I have tens of thousands of cards, along with unopened factory complete sets. Can't give them away. 

    Turns out the years I collected were the worst years to collect due to over printing and the fact that everyone kept their cards behind plastic. 

    The 89 upper deck Griffey Jr. card was the big deal. I have at least 10 of them. 
    Reply
    I collected from about 86-92. I have tens of thousands of cards, along with unopened factory complete sets. Can't give them away. 

    Turns out the years I collected were the worst years to collect due to over printing and the fact that everyone kept their cards behind plastic. 

    The 89 upper deck Griffey Jr. card was the big deal. I have at least 10 of them. 
     
    gamblerfool
    gamblerfool
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 348
    Posted: Sep. 21, 2016 - 6:42 PM ET #45

    I have been a collector for years, Football and Baseball mostly 
    Ido have the Mc Donalds rookie card of Shaq which I am holding onto 
    Bought 2cases of UD when it came out and sold them off when the price got high. Still got 2 complete factory sets 

    I tend to stay away from fleer and Topps because they flood the market.
    Reply
    I have been a collector for years, Football and Baseball mostly 
    Ido have the Mc Donalds rookie card of Shaq which I am holding onto 
    Bought 2cases of UD when it came out and sold them off when the price got high. Still got 2 complete factory sets 

    I tend to stay away from fleer and Topps because they flood the market.
     
    Cannon88
    Cannon88
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2005
    Posts: 1522
    Posted: Sep. 23, 2016 - 3:23 AM ET #46

    I've been collecting for about 38 years.....have about 40,000 cards. Still collect today....cherry pick on Ebay....mostly Gretzky cards. I have over 100 base player cards of Gretzky (All 80's, no 90's)....still think they are undervalued.....except for his rookie.

    Like 'THE MUGG' said....the market was flooded around 1989.....and I haven't bought a pack since.

    Grading has really taken over the hobby.....cards graded 10 by PSA or Beckett will fetch huge dollars, especially if they are older cards.

    Still a great hobby....one of my favourite cards is a 1977 Topps Carlton Fisk....has his mask off ready to receive the ball, and Willie Randolf is sliding into home....just reminds me of those Red Sox/Yankee games in the 70's....card is probably only a couple of bucks.....but the memories are worth so much more.
    Reply
    I've been collecting for about 38 years.....have about 40,000 cards. Still collect today....cherry pick on Ebay....mostly Gretzky cards. I have over 100 base player cards of Gretzky (All 80's, no 90's)....still think they are undervalued.....except for his rookie.

    Like 'THE MUGG' said....the market was flooded around 1989.....and I haven't bought a pack since.

    Grading has really taken over the hobby.....cards graded 10 by PSA or Beckett will fetch huge dollars, especially if they are older cards.

    Still a great hobby....one of my favourite cards is a 1977 Topps Carlton Fisk....has his mask off ready to receive the ball, and Willie Randolf is sliding into home....just reminds me of those Red Sox/Yankee games in the 70's....card is probably only a couple of bucks.....but the memories are worth so much more.
     
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Sep. 24, 2016 - 12:18 PM ET #47

    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:

    https://www.beckett.com/news/babe-ruth-pete-rose-rookie-cards-hit-70000-and-other-six-figure-heritage-auctions-card-sales/




    $71K for the Kobe really blows my mind.   
    Only an idiot would pay even close to that. Someone got suckered. I wonder what suckers got stuck with the Jeremy Lin cards?
     
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:

    https://www.beckett.com/news/babe-ruth-pete-rose-rookie-cards-hit-70000-and-other-six-figure-heritage-auctions-card-sales/




    $71K for the Kobe really blows my mind.   
    Only an idiot would pay even close to that. Someone got suckered. I wonder what suckers got stuck with the Jeremy Lin cards?
     
    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 12

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,348
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 433
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,862
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,852
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 729
    • PART DEUX 143
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,216
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,149
    • Week 6 Money 7,998

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.