• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Has anybody here "Cheated Death"?

    12 Next Last»
    TheGoldenGoose
    HockeyTeeth
    searchwarrant
    Mark_The_Narc
    idle_havoc
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1909
    Posts: 44
    12 Next Last»
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 2:50 PM ET #1


    Anybody had a "Close Call" with The Grim Reaper? 

    Would like to hear the story. 
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    Anybody had a "Close Call" with The Grim Reaper? 

    Would like to hear the story. 
     
    HockeyTeeth
    HockeyTeeth
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2005
    Posts: 3675
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:04 PM ET #2

    I called off my wedding when i was in my early 20s.

    peace_5

    Reply

    I called off my wedding when i was in my early 20s.

    peace_5

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:12 PM ET #3

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyTeeth:

    I called off my wedding when i was in my early 20s.

     

    an_roll_laughan_roll_laugh

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyTeeth:

    I called off my wedding when i was in my early 20s.

     

    an_roll_laughan_roll_laugh

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:20 PM ET #4

    I've been a scuba diver since age 14 and since then I've certified all the way up to profesional level, including wreck penetration, cave diving, search/rescue/deep diving etc etc.. I've dove a good portion of the world on some pretty intense things that 
    I've been fortunate to see. One fairly intense place is an island called Cozumel Mexico. The particulars of the diving are pretty much sheer 2,000 ft drop off walls and currents that will tear off your face mask if you're not highly skilled. I had dove more intense in shipwrecks before so the diving there isn't too challenging for me thanks to years of training......... 

     

    Reply

    I've been a scuba diver since age 14 and since then I've certified all the way up to profesional level, including wreck penetration, cave diving, search/rescue/deep diving etc etc.. I've dove a good portion of the world on some pretty intense things that 
    I've been fortunate to see. One fairly intense place is an island called Cozumel Mexico. The particulars of the diving are pretty much sheer 2,000 ft drop off walls and currents that will tear off your face mask if you're not highly skilled. I had dove more intense in shipwrecks before so the diving there isn't too challenging for me thanks to years of training......... 

     

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:32 PM ET #5

    .....One sunny day I was boat diving a reef known as Devil's Throat in Cozumel, one that I've dove many times and had developed an over confidence which is a no no in all deep dives. That's 120 ft safe limits. Well this Aqua man can do it no problem diver figured he's cert in deep water beyond that so lets go ahead and push the dive to 270feet.For those that don't know depth in diving, that is intense and requires every move to be 100% perfect. 

    I proceed to the 90 foot entrance to the snake dark cave and navigate my through as usual. At the final opening to this cave is a sheer cliff at 130feet. I decide that I'll join my fellow moron dive buddy and descend over the wall and into the 250 300 ft zone. 

    Well down we went. two mach idiots= into the abyss. 220 ft his camera implodes, 270 feet I put on the brakes and hover near the wall but the fuking current is so strong it's pulling me down and sideways. Top it off my vision started to become blurred and I could barely read my guages from nitrogyn narcosis......

    Reply

    .....One sunny day I was boat diving a reef known as Devil's Throat in Cozumel, one that I've dove many times and had developed an over confidence which is a no no in all deep dives. That's 120 ft safe limits. Well this Aqua man can do it no problem diver figured he's cert in deep water beyond that so lets go ahead and push the dive to 270feet.For those that don't know depth in diving, that is intense and requires every move to be 100% perfect. 

    I proceed to the 90 foot entrance to the snake dark cave and navigate my through as usual. At the final opening to this cave is a sheer cliff at 130feet. I decide that I'll join my fellow moron dive buddy and descend over the wall and into the 250 300 ft zone. 

    Well down we went. two mach idiots= into the abyss. 220 ft his camera implodes, 270 feet I put on the brakes and hover near the wall but the fuking current is so strong it's pulling me down and sideways. Top it off my vision started to become blurred and I could barely read my guages from nitrogyn narcosis......

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:46 PM ET #6

    ...There I was, blurry eyed, sinking deeper because of the current and thinking of all options to safely ascend without dying. Meantime my heartrate was about 125, vains popping out of my arms from carbon dioxide overload. Panic and I mean PANIC was ontop of me in a life death keep it together and you may live situation. 

    I bagan my ascent, heart pounding, vision almost gone against a sheer wall down current from 270+ feet, all the way just repeating in my mind, steady seady steady....calm yourself, slow down or you're dead.. Get to 200ft, then 150ft, then 100.. Each time I had to stop to avoid the benz while hyperventilating. On the way up to 150 ft a reef shark bagan circling because he could hear my heart beating, no kidding. That fuker knew I was in trouble.

    Finally I made it to 50 feet, felt the sun warming the water and realized I had done it, I'm ALIVE and that was supposed to be my day of death. I think the intense fear of and adrenaline to stay alive kept my mind in problem solving mode.

    I called some of my best instructors to thank them. 

    No way am i supposed to be here. peace_5

     

    Reply

    ...There I was, blurry eyed, sinking deeper because of the current and thinking of all options to safely ascend without dying. Meantime my heartrate was about 125, vains popping out of my arms from carbon dioxide overload. Panic and I mean PANIC was ontop of me in a life death keep it together and you may live situation. 

    I bagan my ascent, heart pounding, vision almost gone against a sheer wall down current from 270+ feet, all the way just repeating in my mind, steady seady steady....calm yourself, slow down or you're dead.. Get to 200ft, then 150ft, then 100.. Each time I had to stop to avoid the benz while hyperventilating. On the way up to 150 ft a reef shark bagan circling because he could hear my heart beating, no kidding. That fuker knew I was in trouble.

    Finally I made it to 50 feet, felt the sun warming the water and realized I had done it, I'm ALIVE and that was supposed to be my day of death. I think the intense fear of and adrenaline to stay alive kept my mind in problem solving mode.

    I called some of my best instructors to thank them. 

    No way am i supposed to be here. peace_5

     

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 5:54 PM ET #7


    Great story Ricky.  What happened to your dive buddy?  He made it up also?
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Great story Ricky.  What happened to your dive buddy?  He made it up also?
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 6:10 PM ET #8

    He went on to over 300 ft and I was motioning him from above to ascend acend ascend... Guy (which I barely knew), was lit up on Nitrogin and doing all sorts of twirls completely out of it. I tried to get to him but couldn't fight the current so i said fuk him and waived goodbye - was his fault for leaving the wingman.

    Before the frickin dive I told this chap DO NOT drop one foot lower than me at anytime, Of course the macho man ignores all of it.

    We waited topside on the boat, captain went down to 30 ft to provide a decompression tank and he never surfaced. We waited anoth 20 minutes and he finally surfaced. Immediate situation but he lived.  I gave him a fokin earload when he was lucid. 

    Reply

    He went on to over 300 ft and I was motioning him from above to ascend acend ascend... Guy (which I barely knew), was lit up on Nitrogin and doing all sorts of twirls completely out of it. I tried to get to him but couldn't fight the current so i said fuk him and waived goodbye - was his fault for leaving the wingman.

    Before the frickin dive I told this chap DO NOT drop one foot lower than me at anytime, Of course the macho man ignores all of it.

    We waited topside on the boat, captain went down to 30 ft to provide a decompression tank and he never surfaced. We waited anoth 20 minutes and he finally surfaced. Immediate situation but he lived.  I gave him a fokin earload when he was lucid. 

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 6:12 PM ET #9

    What about you goose? 

    Good thread. peace_5

    Reply

    What about you goose? 

    Good thread. peace_5

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:03 PM ET #10


    They say a cat has nine lives.  I must have used them all up because I should have been dead by now.  Must be an Angel or two on my shoulders.

    When I was eight years old, Summer of 1965 when cars were built like tanks, got hit by a car when riding my bicycle.  Was in a legal crosswalk when this car came flying up over a rise in the road.  My right leg was raised at the top of the pedal.  The car's bumper hit my right side just below the pedal or my leg would have been history.

    I went flying what seemed like about 20 feet into the air.  Luckily I landed right in the middle of a shrub hedge which braced my fall.  Everybody was on top of me in seconds flat.  They pulled me out of the hedge but wouldn't let me move or get up on my feet.

    The Police and Ambulance were on the scene quickly and nobody could believe that I was OK.  A few scratches but amazingly I was fine. They finally let me get up and I walked my bike home.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    They say a cat has nine lives.  I must have used them all up because I should have been dead by now.  Must be an Angel or two on my shoulders.

    When I was eight years old, Summer of 1965 when cars were built like tanks, got hit by a car when riding my bicycle.  Was in a legal crosswalk when this car came flying up over a rise in the road.  My right leg was raised at the top of the pedal.  The car's bumper hit my right side just below the pedal or my leg would have been history.

    I went flying what seemed like about 20 feet into the air.  Luckily I landed right in the middle of a shrub hedge which braced my fall.  Everybody was on top of me in seconds flat.  They pulled me out of the hedge but wouldn't let me move or get up on my feet.

    The Police and Ambulance were on the scene quickly and nobody could believe that I was OK.  A few scratches but amazingly I was fine. They finally let me get up and I walked my bike home.
     
    Mark_The_Narc
    Mark_The_Narc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 1987
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:07 PM ET #11

    This is something us degenerates may sympathize with. 

    Good 20-25 years ago driving on a.c. expressway heading home with friends when I fell asleep went across a few lanes start going into grass when friend who was also very tired grabbed wheel and zoun us back on road. 

    I know why you see all kinds of signs on a.c. expressway advising drowsy drivers to use caution. 
    Reply
    This is something us degenerates may sympathize with. 

    Good 20-25 years ago driving on a.c. expressway heading home with friends when I fell asleep went across a few lanes start going into grass when friend who was also very tired grabbed wheel and zoun us back on road. 

    I know why you see all kinds of signs on a.c. expressway advising drowsy drivers to use caution. 
     
    Mark_The_Narc
    Mark_The_Narc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 1987
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:08 PM ET #12

    Zoin I mean pulled
    Reply
    Zoin I mean pulled
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:28 PM ET #13

    Unbelivable goose. Car hit the frame of your bike on just the right stroke of your pedal cycle. Odds of that are in the millions I'd guess. 360 degrees in a circle, you were at the top with 5 degrees on either side. an_eek2

    Reply

    Unbelivable goose. Car hit the frame of your bike on just the right stroke of your pedal cycle. Odds of that are in the millions I'd guess. 360 degrees in a circle, you were at the top with 5 degrees on either side. an_eek2

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:38 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Unbelievable goose. Car hit the frame of your bike on just the right stroke of your pedal cycle. Odds of that are in the millions I'd guess. 360 degrees in a circle, you were at the top with 5 degrees on either side. an_eek2



    Exactly.  And the fact I landed in a hedge to brace the impact.  If I had landed on pavement might have died.  It's easy to think back and laugh about it now but I was sooooo lucky.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Unbelievable goose. Car hit the frame of your bike on just the right stroke of your pedal cycle. Odds of that are in the millions I'd guess. 360 degrees in a circle, you were at the top with 5 degrees on either side. an_eek2



    Exactly.  And the fact I landed in a hedge to brace the impact.  If I had landed on pavement might have died.  It's easy to think back and laugh about it now but I was sooooo lucky.
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:46 PM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Narc:

    This is something us degenerates may sympathize with. 

    Good 20-25 years ago driving on a.c. expressway heading home with friends when I fell asleep went across a few lanes start going into grass when friend who was also very tired grabbed wheel and zoun us back on road. 

    I know why you see all kinds of signs on a.c. expressway advising drowsy drivers to use caution. 


    The A C Expressway.  LOL.  Can remember back in the day limping home to CT many times driving with only fumes in the gas tank.  Digging under the car seats looking for quarters to get thru the Tolls.

    Learned my lesson though.  Now before I ever set foot in any Casino I always gas up and leave a couple $20's in the car.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Narc:

    This is something us degenerates may sympathize with. 

    Good 20-25 years ago driving on a.c. expressway heading home with friends when I fell asleep went across a few lanes start going into grass when friend who was also very tired grabbed wheel and zoun us back on road. 

    I know why you see all kinds of signs on a.c. expressway advising drowsy drivers to use caution. 


    The A C Expressway.  LOL.  Can remember back in the day limping home to CT many times driving with only fumes in the gas tank.  Digging under the car seats looking for quarters to get thru the Tolls.

    Learned my lesson though.  Now before I ever set foot in any Casino I always gas up and leave a couple $20's in the car.
     
    idle_havoc
    idle_havoc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2011
    Posts: 4518
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 7:53 PM ET #16

    Almost every weekend when i was late teens early 20's, looking back i think i'm damn lucky to be alive and no criminal record

    peace_5

    Gotta go pee!
    Reply

    Almost every weekend when i was late teens early 20's, looking back i think i'm damn lucky to be alive and no criminal record

    peace_5

     
    ArtSchlichterJr
    ArtSchlichterJr
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 3479
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 8:52 PM ET #17

    Grew up in the 70's  a time when  Ludes and window pane were 2 dollars a piece ...  Nuff said.. 
    Be careful with the axe Eugene.
    Reply
    Grew up in the 70's  a time when  Ludes and window pane were 2 dollars a piece ...  Nuff said.. 
     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 9:36 PM ET #18

    One of those rescue cost me a fortune... ended with me walking from robertdale Alabama to Pensacola Florida. 40 miles in pack boots and a wool jacket .... if I didn’t get there I would of never be here. ... 

    Reply

    One of those rescue cost me a fortune... ended with me walking from robertdale Alabama to Pensacola Florida. 40 miles in pack boots and a wool jacket .... if I didn’t get there I would of never be here. ... 

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 4, 2018 - 10:10 PM ET #19


    When I was in High School myself and three friends took off for a VT ski trip.  I was driving.  We were at Mt Snow in Southern Vermont and the snow conditions were just horrible.  After only two runs down the mountain we decided to skip the slush and drive North to Killington where conditions would be better and we could salvage the day.

    No GPS in those days so we were relying on a paper map.  Somehow I got off the main road onto some back road.  Was headed North so I wasn't worried about it, we'd get there eventually.

    Road started getting narrower and bumpier.  Lost control of my car and did a 180 ending up on the same side of the road but facing the other way.  I opened up my driver's door and was looking down a 300ft drop down the cliff-side.  No guard rails.  Couldn't even step out of the car that's how close I was to the edge.

    All four of us should have been dead. 
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    When I was in High School myself and three friends took off for a VT ski trip.  I was driving.  We were at Mt Snow in Southern Vermont and the snow conditions were just horrible.  After only two runs down the mountain we decided to skip the slush and drive North to Killington where conditions would be better and we could salvage the day.

    No GPS in those days so we were relying on a paper map.  Somehow I got off the main road onto some back road.  Was headed North so I wasn't worried about it, we'd get there eventually.

    Road started getting narrower and bumpier.  Lost control of my car and did a 180 ending up on the same side of the road but facing the other way.  I opened up my driver's door and was looking down a 300ft drop down the cliff-side.  No guard rails.  Couldn't even step out of the car that's how close I was to the edge.

    All four of us should have been dead. 
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 7:10 AM ET #20

    Seen the reaper twice in my life; both aviation connected. first time in a Cessna 150 with my brother piloting, we went down in the Mojave, and both of us (by the grace of God, and a whole lotta luck) survived
    The second encounter came while on tour of duty in Afganastan (U.S. Army) was transporting by Helicopter, became engaged, and was shot down. of a crew of six, only two made it back. I was one of the two..I may note; this was also the saddest day of my life, losing four brothers in harms way, all close nit buddies...

    Good thread GG, alot of interesting stories

    Reply
    Seen the reaper twice in my life; both aviation connected. first time in a Cessna 150 with my brother piloting, we went down in the Mojave, and both of us (by the grace of God, and a whole lotta luck) survived
    The second encounter came while on tour of duty in Afganastan (U.S. Army) was transporting by Helicopter, became engaged, and was shot down. of a crew of six, only two made it back. I was one of the two..I may note; this was also the saddest day of my life, losing four brothers in harms way, all close nit buddies...

    Good thread GG, alot of interesting stories

     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 7:19 AM ET #21

    *Afghanistan
    Reply
    *Afghanistan
     
    Crazy_Train
    Crazy_Train
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2013
    Posts: 9971
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 8:29 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by idle_havoc:

    Almost every weekend when i was late teens early 20's, looking back i think i'm damn lucky to be alive and no criminal record



    You said it all havoc, except my run lasted into my early 40s  



    Thank you for your service sports_Network 
    Be the Hammer Not the Nail
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by idle_havoc:

    Almost every weekend when i was late teens early 20's, looking back i think i'm damn lucky to be alive and no criminal record



    You said it all havoc, except my run lasted into my early 40s  



    Thank you for your service sports_Network 
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 10:20 AM ET #23

    Great experiences guys.  Keep'em coming!

    #3 for me...

    Summer of 1980.  Had a barbecue / keg party planned with a bunch of friends.  My girlfriend was supposed to pick me up at 12 noon.  12:45 rolls around and still no Sue .  Couldn't get her to answer the phone.  I am now officially fukking ripping pizzed off.  Jump on my brand new 79' Yamaha 650 with only a bandana on my head.  At the time there were no helmet laws in CT but I always wore one anyway.  But for some reason not right now.

    I was moving about 50mph headed for Sue's house.  All of a sudden this car coming the other way turns left right in front of me.  Not too many choices.  Hit him head on?  No thanks.  Swerve and hit a building head on?  No thanks. Lay the bike down and take my chances.  Yes.

    I lay the bike down and I go flying head over handlebars.  My bandana only head soars inches away from the front of the car.  Really thought that I had bought the farm. My lips were literally kissing the car as I soared past.

    I hit the pavement hard.  I mean REALLY hard.  Seventeen stitches in my head and a broken collar bone.  Doctors in the emergency room were digging out dime sized gravel embedded in my skull.  Much better, however, than snapping my neck on a car's front end.

    Whew, that was a close one!!!
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Great experiences guys.  Keep'em coming!

    #3 for me...

    Summer of 1980.  Had a barbecue / keg party planned with a bunch of friends.  My girlfriend was supposed to pick me up at 12 noon.  12:45 rolls around and still no Sue .  Couldn't get her to answer the phone.  I am now officially fukking ripping pizzed off.  Jump on my brand new 79' Yamaha 650 with only a bandana on my head.  At the time there were no helmet laws in CT but I always wore one anyway.  But for some reason not right now.

    I was moving about 50mph headed for Sue's house.  All of a sudden this car coming the other way turns left right in front of me.  Not too many choices.  Hit him head on?  No thanks.  Swerve and hit a building head on?  No thanks. Lay the bike down and take my chances.  Yes.

    I lay the bike down and I go flying head over handlebars.  My bandana only head soars inches away from the front of the car.  Really thought that I had bought the farm. My lips were literally kissing the car as I soared past.

    I hit the pavement hard.  I mean REALLY hard.  Seventeen stitches in my head and a broken collar bone.  Doctors in the emergency room were digging out dime sized gravel embedded in my skull.  Much better, however, than snapping my neck on a car's front end.

    Whew, that was a close one!!!
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 2:58 PM ET #24

    When I was about 11-12 years old my buddy & I were at a beach in Puget Sound that you had to cross two sets of RR tracks to get to. The beach is on a point (Picnic pt.), so you can't see the tracks very far in either direction.......you can feel a train coming before you ever see it. Anyway, being kids, we "heard" a train coming & put a couple pennies on the tracks.....all of them because you never knew which track the train was on. We stood on the outside tracks watching the train fly by on the inside tracks......chucked a couple rocks at it......then I saw my friend turn & run towards the beach. I chucked another rock & turned to follow him. About 3 seconds later, a train going in the opposite direction flew by on the other tracks we'd been standing on. We never heard it, never saw it til it was there. I would never have known what hit me & there wouldn't have been much left to ID. 
     About 20 years later they built a pedestrian overpass to get to the beach......
    Reply
    When I was about 11-12 years old my buddy & I were at a beach in Puget Sound that you had to cross two sets of RR tracks to get to. The beach is on a point (Picnic pt.), so you can't see the tracks very far in either direction.......you can feel a train coming before you ever see it. Anyway, being kids, we "heard" a train coming & put a couple pennies on the tracks.....all of them because you never knew which track the train was on. We stood on the outside tracks watching the train fly by on the inside tracks......chucked a couple rocks at it......then I saw my friend turn & run towards the beach. I chucked another rock & turned to follow him. About 3 seconds later, a train going in the opposite direction flew by on the other tracks we'd been standing on. We never heard it, never saw it til it was there. I would never have known what hit me & there wouldn't have been much left to ID. 
     About 20 years later they built a pedestrian overpass to get to the beach......
     
     
    joe pockets
    joe pockets
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2000
    Posts: 5523
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 - 3:53 PM ET #25

    Reply
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,894
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,613
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 445
    • MLB Playoffs 16,965
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,296
    • PART DEUX 139
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,363
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,269
    • How low can Trump go ? 29,149
    • Week 6 Money 5,901

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.