• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Handgun thoughts......

    12 Next Last»
    THEMUGG
    StumpTownStu
    searchwarrant
    Doja45
    sports_Network
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3533
    Posts: 50
    12 Next Last»
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 2:27 PM ET #1

     For home defense, is there really any reason to go bigger than a 9mm? I'm not a gun nut.........I have a Kahr CW-9 for cc, & a S&W M&P-15 for fun..........but I'm considering getting a CZ P-09 Duty (9mm) for the night stand. It'll hold 19+1 which SHOULD be plenty if intruders decide to pick the wrong house. I see where the trend is going to .40's & bigger, but would anyone need that much more to dispose of some trash that broke into your home? Honestly, I hope I never have to find out, but it seems to me that getting hit by a HP 9mm round is going to stop most things entering your home uninvited.
     I welcome your opinions. 
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
     For home defense, is there really any reason to go bigger than a 9mm? I'm not a gun nut.........I have a Kahr CW-9 for cc, & a S&W M&P-15 for fun..........but I'm considering getting a CZ P-09 Duty (9mm) for the night stand. It'll hold 19+1 which SHOULD be plenty if intruders decide to pick the wrong house. I see where the trend is going to .40's & bigger, but would anyone need that much more to dispose of some trash that broke into your home? Honestly, I hope I never have to find out, but it seems to me that getting hit by a HP 9mm round is going to stop most things entering your home uninvited.
     I welcome your opinions. 
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 3:36 PM ET #2

    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:03 PM ET #3

     Wow.......the .50 would come in handy if a bear or gorilla tried to break in.
     I live in a residential area that hasn't had much crime but I like to be prepared. I've never been shot but I can't imagine even a PCP'er being able to handle a 9mm slug or two. Like you mention, the bigger the load the more expensive it gets. It's not hard to blow through $50-$60 worth of ammo in a short range session.
     I don't have any experience in what size round will do what for you in a "life" situation so I thought I'd ask around since I remember a few guys here talking guns in the past. I guess I'm looking for a solid reason to either stay 9mm or go bigger for what I need a hand gun for.
    Reply
     Wow.......the .50 would come in handy if a bear or gorilla tried to break in.
     I live in a residential area that hasn't had much crime but I like to be prepared. I've never been shot but I can't imagine even a PCP'er being able to handle a 9mm slug or two. Like you mention, the bigger the load the more expensive it gets. It's not hard to blow through $50-$60 worth of ammo in a short range session.
     I don't have any experience in what size round will do what for you in a "life" situation so I thought I'd ask around since I remember a few guys here talking guns in the past. I guess I'm looking for a solid reason to either stay 9mm or go bigger for what I need a hand gun for.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:05 PM ET #4

    I have both the steel full size and compact 9mm's Firstly I must congratulate ya Mugg on your selection. CZ make imo and most others the finest single action 9's in the world.(Double action is not for me). 
    Secondly, law enforcement across the land is going back to 9mm rounds because of the new ammunition. Lighter, faster, and high grain hollow point ammo is available now without the wall penetrating heavy recoil of a .45. I have 124 grain hollow for home defense. It's about accuracy nowadays, the .45 impact is the same as the 9mm when they strike a kill zone. 

    Great purchase. How are you able to get 19+1 legally in Washington State? Here in Ca Im stuck with 10 round mag max but phuk em. I'll get the 16 round mag capacity somewhere else. 
    Reply
    I have both the steel full size and compact 9mm's Firstly I must congratulate ya Mugg on your selection. CZ make imo and most others the finest single action 9's in the world.(Double action is not for me). 
    Secondly, law enforcement across the land is going back to 9mm rounds because of the new ammunition. Lighter, faster, and high grain hollow point ammo is available now without the wall penetrating heavy recoil of a .45. I have 124 grain hollow for home defense. It's about accuracy nowadays, the .45 impact is the same as the 9mm when they strike a kill zone. 

    Great purchase. How are you able to get 19+1 legally in Washington State? Here in Ca Im stuck with 10 round mag max but phuk em. I'll get the 16 round mag capacity somewhere else. 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:10 PM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.


     
    Donot get into a gun fight with that 50.....You will lose. Nice cannon though for shooting watermelons from 20 yards away.. 
    That's why the .44 Dirty Harry gun was short lived. People quickly realized they couldn't hit anything. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.


     
    Donot get into a gun fight with that 50.....You will lose. Nice cannon though for shooting watermelons from 20 yards away.. 
    That's why the .44 Dirty Harry gun was short lived. People quickly realized they couldn't hit anything. 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:28 PM ET #6

    All due respect imo, P09 has a decokker on it. All kinds of issues with those unless you're a cop and need to carry in what's called condition 2.. Decockers are no bueno due to multiple BS and misfires.

    Humble advice Look for this CZ full size. If they have to order it it worth the wait. It's all steel and CZ's signature 9mm. Shoots like a .22 the action is that smooth.

    click.

    CZ 75 Full Size and Compact 9mm Pistol Comparison - YouTube
    Reply
    All due respect imo, P09 has a decokker on it. All kinds of issues with those unless you're a cop and need to carry in what's called condition 2.. Decockers are no bueno due to multiple BS and misfires.

    Humble advice Look for this CZ full size. If they have to order it it worth the wait. It's all steel and CZ's signature 9mm. Shoots like a .22 the action is that smooth.

    click.

    CZ 75 Full Size and Compact 9mm Pistol Comparison - YouTube
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:38 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



     
    Donot get into a gun fight with that 50.....You will lose. Nice cannon though for shooting watermelons from 20 yards away.. 
    That's why the .44 Dirty Harry gun was short lived. People quickly realized they couldn't hit anything. 

    It's in the nightstand because chances are by that time you're in my house, possibly close to or in my bedroom. Who is shooting a B&E suspect from 20 yards away? I don't take it to the range. Just a nice little toy that I got at a gun show that will take a chunk out of someone or, even better, scare the living sh!t out of them. I've got buddies that keep shotguns above or near their beds for home defense. Is a shotgun doing a lot of damage at 20+ yards? Nope but in a melee home invasion situation where you may only get one off, if that, why not. One of my buddies goes riot shell, buckshot, slugs. Now don't get me wrong, good luck getting three shots of from a shotgun in that situation of they are armed to but I like his thinking. Non-lethal, Shot, then a slugs if he's out lf effective range for the shot.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



     
    Donot get into a gun fight with that 50.....You will lose. Nice cannon though for shooting watermelons from 20 yards away.. 
    That's why the .44 Dirty Harry gun was short lived. People quickly realized they couldn't hit anything. 

    It's in the nightstand because chances are by that time you're in my house, possibly close to or in my bedroom. Who is shooting a B&E suspect from 20 yards away? I don't take it to the range. Just a nice little toy that I got at a gun show that will take a chunk out of someone or, even better, scare the living sh!t out of them. I've got buddies that keep shotguns above or near their beds for home defense. Is a shotgun doing a lot of damage at 20+ yards? Nope but in a melee home invasion situation where you may only get one off, if that, why not. One of my buddies goes riot shell, buckshot, slugs. Now don't get me wrong, good luck getting three shots of from a shotgun in that situation of they are armed to but I like his thinking. Non-lethal, Shot, then a slugs if he's out lf effective range for the shot.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:39 PM ET #8

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    I have both the steel full size and compact 9mm's Firstly I must congratulate ya Mugg on your selection. CZ make imo and most others the finest single action 9's in the world.(Double action is not for me). 
    Secondly, law enforcement across the land is going back to 9mm rounds because of the new ammunition. Lighter, faster, and high grain hollow point ammo is available now without the wall penetrating heavy recoil of a .45. I have 124 grain hollow for home defense. It's about accuracy nowadays, the .45 impact is the same as the 9mm when they strike a kill zone. 

    Great purchase. How are you able to get 19+1 legally in Washington State? Here in Ca Im stuck with 10 round mag max but phuk em. I'll get the 16 round mag capacity somewhere else. 
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking around & have seen nothing but rave reviews about most of CZ's line. For around $500 it doesn't look like I could do any better. They opened a Cabelas about 10 mins. from me a few years ago & that's where I've bought my current guns. I've been told I could do better in other shops or online, but when I add it all up it's pretty much a wash + the convenience of their location should I have any issues with them.
     The gun laws are fairly liberal up here. I can go buy a rifle (including an AR) & walk out of the store with it that day, but it takes about a week for a background check if you want a hand gun. We have no clip capacity restrictions except for hunting (I have three 30's for my AR). I haven't applied for my CCW yet but have carried my Kahr with me in my rig on certain road trips. It's legal to open carry but I don't & don't see many do it on this side of the mountains. Eastern WA is another story......see it a lot in the rural areas.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    I have both the steel full size and compact 9mm's Firstly I must congratulate ya Mugg on your selection. CZ make imo and most others the finest single action 9's in the world.(Double action is not for me). 
    Secondly, law enforcement across the land is going back to 9mm rounds because of the new ammunition. Lighter, faster, and high grain hollow point ammo is available now without the wall penetrating heavy recoil of a .45. I have 124 grain hollow for home defense. It's about accuracy nowadays, the .45 impact is the same as the 9mm when they strike a kill zone. 

    Great purchase. How are you able to get 19+1 legally in Washington State? Here in Ca Im stuck with 10 round mag max but phuk em. I'll get the 16 round mag capacity somewhere else. 
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking around & have seen nothing but rave reviews about most of CZ's line. For around $500 it doesn't look like I could do any better. They opened a Cabelas about 10 mins. from me a few years ago & that's where I've bought my current guns. I've been told I could do better in other shops or online, but when I add it all up it's pretty much a wash + the convenience of their location should I have any issues with them.
     The gun laws are fairly liberal up here. I can go buy a rifle (including an AR) & walk out of the store with it that day, but it takes about a week for a background check if you want a hand gun. We have no clip capacity restrictions except for hunting (I have three 30's for my AR). I haven't applied for my CCW yet but have carried my Kahr with me in my rig on certain road trips. It's legal to open carry but I don't & don't see many do it on this side of the mountains. Eastern WA is another story......see it a lot in the rural areas.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:44 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    All due respect imo, P09 has a decokker on it. All kinds of issues with those unless you're a cop and need to carry in what's called condition 2.. Decockers are no bueno due to multiple BS and misfires.

    Humble advice Look for this CZ full size. If they have to order it it worth the wait. It's all steel and CZ's signature 9mm. Shoots like a .22 the action is that smooth.

    click.

    CZ 75 Full Size and Compact 9mm Pistol Comparison - YouTube
    I read about that. Many hated it. It comes that way outta the box. BUT......it comes with a conversion kit that only take minutes to convert the decocker into a safety & I guess it does wonders for the trigger action.........& most loved them after they converted it.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    All due respect imo, P09 has a decokker on it. All kinds of issues with those unless you're a cop and need to carry in what's called condition 2.. Decockers are no bueno due to multiple BS and misfires.

    Humble advice Look for this CZ full size. If they have to order it it worth the wait. It's all steel and CZ's signature 9mm. Shoots like a .22 the action is that smooth.

    click.

    CZ 75 Full Size and Compact 9mm Pistol Comparison - YouTube
    I read about that. Many hated it. It comes that way outta the box. BUT......it comes with a conversion kit that only take minutes to convert the decocker into a safety & I guess it does wonders for the trigger action.........& most loved them after they converted it.
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 4:54 PM ET #10

    To get back to the subject, go with the 9mm. Not only for all the very good reasons that Search listed but because you already have a 9mm. If I had it to do again, I would pick a caliber and stick with it. My collection is all over the board and it just doesn't seam practical. I mean, .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm, .40 .45, and .50. I have different things in my collection for different reasons. I have a Beretta 92 because I fell in love with as a child. I have a 1911 because, well, it's a 1911. The DE was just a gun show purchase just because. I'm less attached to it therefore it's the gun that's in the nightstand and not locked up. I also have a .380 that is my toilet gun. The mrs has a .380. I've got a single action .22 Magnum from my dads collection that I just liked shooting as a kid. I've got a .38 special detective style that was the first gun my dad ever bought, my mom carried it for years, and I have it just because it's sentimental. And because I shot it so much as a kid, I am really accurate with it even though it's a snub nose. I can perfectly compensate for the kick and put it more or less where I want it. That's not even the entirety of my pistol collection.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    To get back to the subject, go with the 9mm. Not only for all the very good reasons that Search listed but because you already have a 9mm. If I had it to do again, I would pick a caliber and stick with it. My collection is all over the board and it just doesn't seam practical. I mean, .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm, .40 .45, and .50. I have different things in my collection for different reasons. I have a Beretta 92 because I fell in love with as a child. I have a 1911 because, well, it's a 1911. The DE was just a gun show purchase just because. I'm less attached to it therefore it's the gun that's in the nightstand and not locked up. I also have a .380 that is my toilet gun. The mrs has a .380. I've got a single action .22 Magnum from my dads collection that I just liked shooting as a kid. I've got a .38 special detective style that was the first gun my dad ever bought, my mom carried it for years, and I have it just because it's sentimental. And because I shot it so much as a kid, I am really accurate with it even though it's a snub nose. I can perfectly compensate for the kick and put it more or less where I want it. That's not even the entirety of my pistol collection.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 5:00 PM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:


    It's in the nightstand because chances are by that time you're in my house, possibly close to or in my bedroom. Who is shooting a B&E suspect from 20 yards away? I don't take it to the range. Just a nice little toy that I got at a gun show that will take a chunk out of someone or, even better, scare the living sh!t out of them. I've got buddies that keep shotguns above or near their beds for home defense. Is a shotgun doing a lot of damage at 20+ yards? Nope but in a melee home invasion situation where you may only get one off, if that, why not. One of my buddies goes riot shell, buckshot, slugs. Now don't get me wrong, good luck getting three shots of from a shotgun in that situation of they are armed to but I like his thinking. Non-lethal, Shot, then a slugs if he's out lf effective range for the shot.


    Wow, 100% clueless kid. You know absolutely nothing about guns/rifles that you don't even own, tactics and ballistics fail. Please turn in your imaginary firearm to the nearest police station.



    Mugg, I hear ya. Great guns no matter what but trigger jobs can add another 150+ to the price of the gun. Factory trigger on CZ single action is beyond impressive,.I think the pull is comfortable at 2 pounds. Whatever is comfortable for you is the most important.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:


    It's in the nightstand because chances are by that time you're in my house, possibly close to or in my bedroom. Who is shooting a B&E suspect from 20 yards away? I don't take it to the range. Just a nice little toy that I got at a gun show that will take a chunk out of someone or, even better, scare the living sh!t out of them. I've got buddies that keep shotguns above or near their beds for home defense. Is a shotgun doing a lot of damage at 20+ yards? Nope but in a melee home invasion situation where you may only get one off, if that, why not. One of my buddies goes riot shell, buckshot, slugs. Now don't get me wrong, good luck getting three shots of from a shotgun in that situation of they are armed to but I like his thinking. Non-lethal, Shot, then a slugs if he's out lf effective range for the shot.


    Wow, 100% clueless kid. You know absolutely nothing about guns/rifles that you don't even own, tactics and ballistics fail. Please turn in your imaginary firearm to the nearest police station.



    Mugg, I hear ya. Great guns no matter what but trigger jobs can add another 150+ to the price of the gun. Factory trigger on CZ single action is beyond impressive,.I think the pull is comfortable at 2 pounds. Whatever is comfortable for you is the most important.  
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 5:03 PM ET #12

    Clip = magazine

    Kick = recoil


    Reply
    Clip = magazine

    Kick = recoil


     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 5:07 PM ET #13

     Thanks Stump.........that's the kind of input I was looking for. I'd love to have a collection like yours but it wouldn't be prudent for me.

     Thanks as well, rickey. Good input. Hope things are going better for you these days. I now have a similar "neighbors" issue as the house next door sold to a large family with many vehicles & kids. Just frikken noisy & annoying......& not just for me but for the neighborhood.

     Not my reason for wanting another gun though...........yet.
    Reply
     Thanks Stump.........that's the kind of input I was looking for. I'd love to have a collection like yours but it wouldn't be prudent for me.

     Thanks as well, rickey. Good input. Hope things are going better for you these days. I now have a similar "neighbors" issue as the house next door sold to a large family with many vehicles & kids. Just frikken noisy & annoying......& not just for me but for the neighborhood.

     Not my reason for wanting another gun though...........yet.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 5:24 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

     Thanks Stump.........that's the kind of input I was looking for. I'd love to have a collection like yours but it wouldn't be prudent for me.

     Thanks as well, rickey. Good input. Hope things are going better for you these days. I now have a similar "neighbors" issue as the house next door sold to a large family with many vehicles & kids. Just frikken noisy & annoying......& not just for me but for the neighborhood.
     Not my reason for wanting another gun though...........yet.


    Completely get it on the noisy neigbors front. I'm still dealing with it but it's a seige. Sorry to here you're having a new crop move in. Silicon ear plugs are a good start, that and cleaning your guns in the driveway tends to set their hair on fire. 

    As you know I'm born raised Seattle and had no idea AR's and full cap mags are legal for purchase there. My mom is still there, looks like I'll be at your gun store in a couple weeks. 

    Do you guys have AR bullet button lower receiver laws like this communist state? 
    Eastern Washington is always an adventure, armed or I wouldn't even go.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

     Thanks Stump.........that's the kind of input I was looking for. I'd love to have a collection like yours but it wouldn't be prudent for me.

     Thanks as well, rickey. Good input. Hope things are going better for you these days. I now have a similar "neighbors" issue as the house next door sold to a large family with many vehicles & kids. Just frikken noisy & annoying......& not just for me but for the neighborhood.
     Not my reason for wanting another gun though...........yet.


    Completely get it on the noisy neigbors front. I'm still dealing with it but it's a seige. Sorry to here you're having a new crop move in. Silicon ear plugs are a good start, that and cleaning your guns in the driveway tends to set their hair on fire. 

    As you know I'm born raised Seattle and had no idea AR's and full cap mags are legal for purchase there. My mom is still there, looks like I'll be at your gun store in a couple weeks. 

    Do you guys have AR bullet button lower receiver laws like this communist state? 
    Eastern Washington is always an adventure, armed or I wouldn't even go.
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 5:58 PM ET #15

    No, there's no quick release restrictions.
     I like the "clean the guns outside" idea. These clowns built a deck in their back yard that raised up off their patio. Now they look right into my back yard because of the grade of the land. I'll be sure to set up for cleaning in the back yard from now on.
     I like EWA & may end up moving there.......more of an old school, open wild west where people are nicer & fewer thugs (save for Spokane which has grown a LOT)..........& the thugs surely know most people have a few firearms. It's just getting too crowded all along the I-5 corridor.
    Reply
    No, there's no quick release restrictions.
     I like the "clean the guns outside" idea. These clowns built a deck in their back yard that raised up off their patio. Now they look right into my back yard because of the grade of the land. I'll be sure to set up for cleaning in the back yard from now on.
     I like EWA & may end up moving there.......more of an old school, open wild west where people are nicer & fewer thugs (save for Spokane which has grown a LOT)..........& the thugs surely know most people have a few firearms. It's just getting too crowded all along the I-5 corridor.
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 6:16 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



    Wow, 100% clueless kid. You know absolutely nothing about guns/rifles that you don't even own, tactics and ballistics fail. Please turn in your imaginary firearm to the nearest police station.



    Mugg, I hear ya. Great guns no matter what but trigger jobs can add another 150+ to the price of the gun. Factory trigger on CZ single action is beyond impressive,.I think the pull is comfortable at 2 pounds. Whatever is comfortable for you is the most important.  

    What that I said is clueless? You're just a b!tter little b!tch. You wanna see just how "imaginary" my guns are, come and find out. I swear, people on this site are ridiculous. You're just a bitter little b!tch.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



    Wow, 100% clueless kid. You know absolutely nothing about guns/rifles that you don't even own, tactics and ballistics fail. Please turn in your imaginary firearm to the nearest police station.



    Mugg, I hear ya. Great guns no matter what but trigger jobs can add another 150+ to the price of the gun. Factory trigger on CZ single action is beyond impressive,.I think the pull is comfortable at 2 pounds. Whatever is comfortable for you is the most important.  

    What that I said is clueless? You're just a b!tter little b!tch. You wanna see just how "imaginary" my guns are, come and find out. I swear, people on this site are ridiculous. You're just a bitter little b!tch.
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 7, 2017 - 6:34 PM ET #17

    I mean, come on. Who makes up having a single-action .22 Magnum revolver in their collection. Who makes up having a .38 special detective that's been in his family over 50 years? Who makes these things up? It's like I came in here all "yo yo yo, I got glocks, boyyyy!" So what's your issue? I've got a 9mm daewoo in my collection. Who, but someone that owns ALOT of guns, even knows that Daewoo makes guns? We're talking the Korean car people. So what was your need to call me out? Is this because I made you look like an idiot in your own OJ Simpson thread? Dude, get over it.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    I mean, come on. Who makes up having a single-action .22 Magnum revolver in their collection. Who makes up having a .38 special detective that's been in his family over 50 years? Who makes these things up? It's like I came in here all "yo yo yo, I got glocks, boyyyy!" So what's your issue? I've got a 9mm daewoo in my collection. Who, but someone that owns ALOT of guns, even knows that Daewoo makes guns? We're talking the Korean car people. So what was your need to call me out? Is this because I made you look like an idiot in your own OJ Simpson thread? Dude, get over it.
     
    Doja45
    Doja45
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 2304
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 12:25 AM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.

    A desert eagle really? Is it nickel plated? lol. Must be a big nightstand. All jokes aside use what you're most comfortable with. CZ makes a fine 9. I have the SP-01 with upgrades from Cajun gun works and it's a tack driver. But that bein said nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for home defense. Remy 870 18" barrel is a nice choice
    I do have a .45 in my nightstand as well. Grew up with a 1911 carried cocked and locked so that's what I'm comfortable with. 40 cal is just a 9 mm at higher pressure
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Of the people I know, everyone is on one side or the other and both sides make good arguments. Personally, I tend to own .40 and .45 handguns except my beretta. Ammo is more expensive though. In my nightstand I have a .50 D.E. I figure, chances are in that situation you've only got one or two shots. Make 'em count.

    A desert eagle really? Is it nickel plated? lol. Must be a big nightstand. All jokes aside use what you're most comfortable with. CZ makes a fine 9. I have the SP-01 with upgrades from Cajun gun works and it's a tack driver. But that bein said nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for home defense. Remy 870 18" barrel is a nice choice
    I do have a .45 in my nightstand as well. Grew up with a 1911 carried cocked and locked so that's what I'm comfortable with. 40 cal is just a 9 mm at higher pressure
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 1:42 AM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by Doja45:


    A desert eagle really? Is it nickel plated? lol. Must be a big nightstand. All jokes aside use what you're most comfortable with. CZ makes a fine 9. I have the SP-01 with upgrades from Cajun gun works and it's a tack driver. But that bein said nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for home defense. Remy 870 18" barrel is a nice choice
    I do have a .45 in my nightstand as well. Grew up with a 1911 carried cocked and locked so that's what I'm comfortable with. 40 cal is just a 9 mm at higher pressure

     Naw, the DE's gunmetal. Bought it as part of a package deal at a gun show with my Beretta and some butterfly knives I gave to homies for christmas. I went looking for a Beretta and packaged some stuff together for a better deal. It's one of my home security guns because I don't care if it's stolen. That's why it's in my nightstand and not in a gun safe.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Doja45:


    A desert eagle really? Is it nickel plated? lol. Must be a big nightstand. All jokes aside use what you're most comfortable with. CZ makes a fine 9. I have the SP-01 with upgrades from Cajun gun works and it's a tack driver. But that bein said nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for home defense. Remy 870 18" barrel is a nice choice
    I do have a .45 in my nightstand as well. Grew up with a 1911 carried cocked and locked so that's what I'm comfortable with. 40 cal is just a 9 mm at higher pressure

     Naw, the DE's gunmetal. Bought it as part of a package deal at a gun show with my Beretta and some butterfly knives I gave to homies for christmas. I went looking for a Beretta and packaged some stuff together for a better deal. It's one of my home security guns because I don't care if it's stolen. That's why it's in my nightstand and not in a gun safe.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 3:29 AM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by matteo94:

    i don't think the gun laws are strict enough 


    Unfortunately it's the ghetto punks like the one above you that have absolutely no business owning firearms. Giving butterfly knives to my "homies?" Yo yo yo yo. Probably shoots sideways with his homies in the hood.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo94:

    i don't think the gun laws are strict enough 


    Unfortunately it's the ghetto punks like the one above you that have absolutely no business owning firearms. Giving butterfly knives to my "homies?" Yo yo yo yo. Probably shoots sideways with his homies in the hood.
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 4:41 AM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



    Unfortunately it's the ghetto punks like the one above you that have absolutely no business owning firearms. Giving butterfly knives to my "homies?" Yo yo yo yo. Probably shoots sideways with his homies in the hood.

    Wow, you are so racist. Did you walk in on your wife with a black guy in her mouth? I here that's pretty common. I mean, "Yo yo yo yo"? Who even talks like that? She must've been engulfing that snake for you to have such hate and vitriol for someone you've never met and know nothing about. Did he shoot sideways too? Did you watch and beat off? Are you one of those? Weirdo.
    Almost every "homie" I gave one to was a white dude, plus one hispanic, one asian, one islander. We all have jobs (we work together, actually), 401k's. Some of us own homes. We're not "ghetto punks". You can't get them in California so I brought some down for my "homies". So, yeah, I guess i'm a criminal in that sense.
    p.s. Again, if you think "ghetto punks" like me shouldn't have firearms, try to come and take them. You said you have family in Washington, right? I'll pick you up from SeaTac personally. Wait, you mentioned being in a state with bullet button laws. Could you possibly be in California? Is it northern California? That would mean there's an outside chance I know the guy she was going down on. That would be a coinky dink.

    See how this works? If your inappropriate, I can be as well. You don't know me, I don't know you, your wife, or if you even have one. I don't want to disrespect anyone's significant other but so help me god, I will roast you 'til the cows come home.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:



    Unfortunately it's the ghetto punks like the one above you that have absolutely no business owning firearms. Giving butterfly knives to my "homies?" Yo yo yo yo. Probably shoots sideways with his homies in the hood.

    Wow, you are so racist. Did you walk in on your wife with a black guy in her mouth? I here that's pretty common. I mean, "Yo yo yo yo"? Who even talks like that? She must've been engulfing that snake for you to have such hate and vitriol for someone you've never met and know nothing about. Did he shoot sideways too? Did you watch and beat off? Are you one of those? Weirdo.
    Almost every "homie" I gave one to was a white dude, plus one hispanic, one asian, one islander. We all have jobs (we work together, actually), 401k's. Some of us own homes. We're not "ghetto punks". You can't get them in California so I brought some down for my "homies". So, yeah, I guess i'm a criminal in that sense.
    p.s. Again, if you think "ghetto punks" like me shouldn't have firearms, try to come and take them. You said you have family in Washington, right? I'll pick you up from SeaTac personally. Wait, you mentioned being in a state with bullet button laws. Could you possibly be in California? Is it northern California? That would mean there's an outside chance I know the guy she was going down on. That would be a coinky dink.

    See how this works? If your inappropriate, I can be as well. You don't know me, I don't know you, your wife, or if you even have one. I don't want to disrespect anyone's significant other but so help me god, I will roast you 'til the cows come home.
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 8:36 AM ET #22

    Glock 9mm...the all around choice for home protection, accurate, efficient, lightweight...does the job

    above 9mm, you're losing accuracy, regardless of range 

    Reply

    Glock 9mm...the all around choice for home protection, accurate, efficient, lightweight...does the job

    above 9mm, you're losing accuracy, regardless of range 

     
    Doja45
    Doja45
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 2304
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 10:14 AM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    Glock 9mm...the all around choice for home protection, accurate, efficient, lightweight...does the job

    above 9mm, you're losing accuracy, regardless of range 


    That last sentence might be true for you but not everyone. I personally shoot better with a pistol made of steel ( CZ 9 mm, 1911 .45) then one made of polymer ( glock 17 m&p 9) those polymers are very reliable but I personally don't care for the boxey grip on glocks 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by sports_Network:

    Glock 9mm...the all around choice for home protection, accurate, efficient, lightweight...does the job

    above 9mm, you're losing accuracy, regardless of range 


    That last sentence might be true for you but not everyone. I personally shoot better with a pistol made of steel ( CZ 9 mm, 1911 .45) then one made of polymer ( glock 17 m&p 9) those polymers are very reliable but I personally don't care for the boxey grip on glocks 
     
    Doja45
    Doja45
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 2304
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 10:15 AM ET #24

    And felt recoil is very subjective
    Reply
    And felt recoil is very subjective
     
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2017 - 11:54 AM ET #25

    Doesn't take much to expose their violent tempers does it?  . 
    Sooo, you deliver firearms to your "homies" that are banned in their respective state? Fantastic, you're a real asset to law abiding gun owners. What you're doing is a called a straw purchase and it's a big time felony. Your "homies" are also felons for having possession of illegal, unregistered firearms. 
    Criminal scumbag hood rats like you contribute to the gun violence in America, Thank you for being a true asset. .



    Reply
    Doesn't take much to expose their violent tempers does it?  . 
    Sooo, you deliver firearms to your "homies" that are banned in their respective state? Fantastic, you're a real asset to law abiding gun owners. What you're doing is a called a straw purchase and it's a big time felony. Your "homies" are also felons for having possession of illegal, unregistered firearms. 
    Criminal scumbag hood rats like you contribute to the gun violence in America, Thank you for being a true asset. .



    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,905
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,619
    • MLB Playoffs 16,984
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 446
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,359
    • PART DEUX 140
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 273
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,366
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,275
    • How low can Trump go ? 29,157

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.