Governments raising minimum wage usually fail to keep up with inflation rate for decades. Wage increases are small and spread over a long time so as to minimize impact on low wage industry to allow for adaptation. Since average wage is over $15 hourly, only a minority of workers and employers are affected.
Governments raising minimum wage usually fail to keep up with inflation rate for decades. Wage increases are small and spread over a long time so as to minimize impact on low wage industry to allow for adaptation. Since average wage is over $15 hourly, only a minority of workers and employers are affected.
I think this will about evolution, technology and innovation.
Weak companies that can't adapt or innovate will go or of business. This will reward companies that can have innovative and creative methods for more productivity with less workers and/or innovations in technology that allow for less reliance on workers.
ITs the weak that should be terrified, those that would prefer to live in the 20th century or earlier rather than the 20th century, with a fear science, technology, innovation and change.
Its natural selection here and it's evolve or die. So the people and businesses most ready to cash in are those that are able to evolve, grow and progress in its business practices. They will also benefit from the competition dying off along with the increased money these consumer have to spend.
I think this will about evolution, technology and innovation.
Weak companies that can't adapt or innovate will go or of business. This will reward companies that can have innovative and creative methods for more productivity with less workers and/or innovations in technology that allow for less reliance on workers.
ITs the weak that should be terrified, those that would prefer to live in the 20th century or earlier rather than the 20th century, with a fear science, technology, innovation and change.
Its natural selection here and it's evolve or die. So the people and businesses most ready to cash in are those that are able to evolve, grow and progress in its business practices. They will also benefit from the competition dying off along with the increased money these consumer have to spend.
The job market for the youth has changed in events of the 21th century as well as the effects of the economy resulting in less jobs. We can't go back to when we were in highschool as a realistic perspective.
I'm thinking that the minimum wage change might result in more under the table like the OP mentioned. But it might also result in more part time work and short term temporary work to avoid benefits on top of the increased salary.
This shift might open up huge opportunities for high schoolers to have a part time job after school or a temporary postion of 89 days or less as a summer job.
The job market for the youth has changed in events of the 21th century as well as the effects of the economy resulting in less jobs. We can't go back to when we were in highschool as a realistic perspective.
I'm thinking that the minimum wage change might result in more under the table like the OP mentioned. But it might also result in more part time work and short term temporary work to avoid benefits on top of the increased salary.
This shift might open up huge opportunities for high schoolers to have a part time job after school or a temporary postion of 89 days or less as a summer job.
Reality is a lot of jobs will come available for those willing to work under the table.
.....or standing on top of it!!!
"QUIT YOUR GRINNIN' AND DROP YOUR LINEN!!! - Please welcome to the main stage 'Sinnamon'!!! She just lost her job due to cutbacks because of the raising of the minimum wage!! Well, she's 'raising' something on me alright!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE!!!! Let's make it rain fellas! Give it up and show your love for for SINNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!"
{Begin Warrant's "Cherry Pie" here}
Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:
Reality is a lot of jobs will come available for those willing to work under the table.
.....or standing on top of it!!!
"QUIT YOUR GRINNIN' AND DROP YOUR LINEN!!! - Please welcome to the main stage 'Sinnamon'!!! She just lost her job due to cutbacks because of the raising of the minimum wage!! Well, she's 'raising' something on me alright!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE!!!! Let's make it rain fellas! Give it up and show your love for for SINNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!"
"QUIT YOUR GRINNIN' AND DROP YOUR LINEN!!! - Please welcome to the main stage 'Sinnamon'!!! She just lost her job due to cutbacks because of the raising of the minimum wage!! Well, she's 'raising' something on me alright!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE!!!! Let's make it rain fellas! Give it up and show your love for for SINNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!"
{Begin Warrant's "Cherry Pie" here}
Quote Originally Posted by GimmeMoneyNow:
.....or standing on top of it!!!
"QUIT YOUR GRINNIN' AND DROP YOUR LINEN!!! - Please welcome to the main stage 'Sinnamon'!!! She just lost her job due to cutbacks because of the raising of the minimum wage!! Well, she's 'raising' something on me alright!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE!!!! Let's make it rain fellas! Give it up and show your love for for SINNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!"
Like most government imposed mandates this will fail miserably. Sure some people will make the $15 but the unemployment rate will skyrocket. If you think that every employable person is worth $15 an hour, you have serious issues...
Especially the young people, no experience and Mommy & Daddy pays the phone bill, gas, auto expenses, etc. I've lived this and will never employ another person that doesn't NEED a job. I've had several that weren't worth $10 because they couldn't get to work on time and had little or no motivation. In a small business all the employees must produce or it's not going to work... Here's another interesting fact, I never had a job less than 7 months, next shortest was 15 months. I've made 6 hires of people under the age of 27 and none have made 6 months straight—pretty unimpressive and don't even think its because they're getting better jobs.
Like most government imposed mandates this will fail miserably. Sure some people will make the $15 but the unemployment rate will skyrocket. If you think that every employable person is worth $15 an hour, you have serious issues...
Especially the young people, no experience and Mommy & Daddy pays the phone bill, gas, auto expenses, etc. I've lived this and will never employ another person that doesn't NEED a job. I've had several that weren't worth $10 because they couldn't get to work on time and had little or no motivation. In a small business all the employees must produce or it's not going to work... Here's another interesting fact, I never had a job less than 7 months, next shortest was 15 months. I've made 6 hires of people under the age of 27 and none have made 6 months straight—pretty unimpressive and don't even think its because they're getting better jobs.
It's funny to hear old people blabber on about how things were in the 20th century they were young.
Like I said this transition will Favor people and companies that are intelligent, innovative, efficient and utilize technology well. Those who are none of those things and fear progress and change are absolutely terrified. You can litterally smell the fear of competition as the grasp desperately to the past.
You can tell who is blockbuster (20th century and will die)
and
Who is redbox (21st century innovation, technology based, efficient, cost effective and less dependent on employees).
My guess is the blockbuster people are so out of touch with current times that they will Fail to grasp the metaphor and flip out because they are confused by the whole reality.
It's funny to hear old people blabber on about how things were in the 20th century they were young.
Like I said this transition will Favor people and companies that are intelligent, innovative, efficient and utilize technology well. Those who are none of those things and fear progress and change are absolutely terrified. You can litterally smell the fear of competition as the grasp desperately to the past.
You can tell who is blockbuster (20th century and will die)
and
Who is redbox (21st century innovation, technology based, efficient, cost effective and less dependent on employees).
My guess is the blockbuster people are so out of touch with current times that they will Fail to grasp the metaphor and flip out because they are confused by the whole reality.
Why buy American at fifteen when you can have 20 do the work for for .50 a PC in Tijuana. Move the factory. Simple stupid . robotic self serve lines one clerk can manage for een lanes at check out. Fourteen fnn auto speller. Anyway good way to move more jobs overseas and get more illegals picking vegetable crops.....
Why buy American at fifteen when you can have 20 do the work for for .50 a PC in Tijuana. Move the factory. Simple stupid . robotic self serve lines one clerk can manage for een lanes at check out. Fourteen fnn auto speller. Anyway good way to move more jobs overseas and get more illegals picking vegetable crops.....
I think this will about evolution, technology and innovation.
Its natural selection here and it's evolve or die.
Have to disagree. This is pretty much the opposite of that. Free markets are about natural selection and evolution. The government forcing artificial changes doesn't belong in the same sentence as natural selection and evolution unless you're pointing out how opposite they are.
Quote Originally Posted by dl36:
I think this will about evolution, technology and innovation.
Its natural selection here and it's evolve or die.
Have to disagree. This is pretty much the opposite of that. Free markets are about natural selection and evolution. The government forcing artificial changes doesn't belong in the same sentence as natural selection and evolution unless you're pointing out how opposite they are.
Just mentioned this to a hot cashier for the local grocery store as I waited for my food. I know part of this is my fault, I will state that first. I went to Burger King drive thru just a little while ago. There were 3 cars ahead of me, took 10 minutes to get to the speaker thing. About 2-3 to pay for my chit, my receipt said 1:09pm. I got to the 2nd window to pick up my food and sat there for about 3 minutes before a lady came and said you got the extra long cheeseburger, I said no. She said pull up I will bring it out to you. I pulled up and waited, the people behind me pulled up ahead and waited. Then this fat white lady got out, went in around 1:25pm, came out and said, you probably need to go in there, she forgot us. I went in, stood where people pick up there food for about 11 minutes then finally after multiple people look me dead in the face, they ask what I am waiting on, that was my fault, but I wanted to see how long it was before they asked. I said oh I am waiting for my food in the car where you told me to pull up 25+ minutes ago. She said oh I thought you pulled off. I looked back and my white car could easily be seen. They were joking around and giving each other garbage. I spent over 45 minutes at Burger King, yeah let's give them $15 an hour.
Just mentioned this to a hot cashier for the local grocery store as I waited for my food. I know part of this is my fault, I will state that first. I went to Burger King drive thru just a little while ago. There were 3 cars ahead of me, took 10 minutes to get to the speaker thing. About 2-3 to pay for my chit, my receipt said 1:09pm. I got to the 2nd window to pick up my food and sat there for about 3 minutes before a lady came and said you got the extra long cheeseburger, I said no. She said pull up I will bring it out to you. I pulled up and waited, the people behind me pulled up ahead and waited. Then this fat white lady got out, went in around 1:25pm, came out and said, you probably need to go in there, she forgot us. I went in, stood where people pick up there food for about 11 minutes then finally after multiple people look me dead in the face, they ask what I am waiting on, that was my fault, but I wanted to see how long it was before they asked. I said oh I am waiting for my food in the car where you told me to pull up 25+ minutes ago. She said oh I thought you pulled off. I looked back and my white car could easily be seen. They were joking around and giving each other garbage. I spent over 45 minutes at Burger King, yeah let's give them $15 an hour.
Have to disagree. This is pretty much the opposite of that. Free markets are about natural selection and evolution. The government forcing artificial changes doesn't belong in the same sentence as natural selection and evolution unless you're pointing out how opposite they are.
Explain to me how this does not favor people companies that are innovative, efficient and will utilize technology better?
Natural selection occurs when there is a change in the environment. Whether the change is govt imposed or not, it is the change in the environment that weeds out the weak and strong survive. Or as often in evolution those with the characteristics such as intelligence, innovation, efficient and use technology and less dependent on workers will thrive because their competition that are none of those things will fold and they will take over their market.
This is s tough issue because I am not saying the min wage is a good thing and will no effect. In fact I am saying the opposite that it will have an effect and weaker, less intelligent, less innovative, and unable to evolve in the 21st world are in trouble.
This is blockbuster vs redbox
And you got a lot of blockbuster people who are completely terrified because the weak won't be able to to compete in the new environment.
Quote Originally Posted by thecentaur:
Have to disagree. This is pretty much the opposite of that. Free markets are about natural selection and evolution. The government forcing artificial changes doesn't belong in the same sentence as natural selection and evolution unless you're pointing out how opposite they are.
Explain to me how this does not favor people companies that are innovative, efficient and will utilize technology better?
Natural selection occurs when there is a change in the environment. Whether the change is govt imposed or not, it is the change in the environment that weeds out the weak and strong survive. Or as often in evolution those with the characteristics such as intelligence, innovation, efficient and use technology and less dependent on workers will thrive because their competition that are none of those things will fold and they will take over their market.
This is s tough issue because I am not saying the min wage is a good thing and will no effect. In fact I am saying the opposite that it will have an effect and weaker, less intelligent, less innovative, and unable to evolve in the 21st world are in trouble.
This is blockbuster vs redbox
And you got a lot of blockbuster people who are completely terrified because the weak won't be able to to compete in the new environment.
Explain to me how this does not favor people companies that are innovative, efficient and will utilize technology better?
Natural selection occurs when there is a change in the environment. Whether the change is govt imposed or not, it is the change in the environment that weeds out the weak and strong survive. Or as often in evolution those with the characteristics such as intelligence, innovation, efficient and use technology and less dependent on workers will thrive because their competition that are none of those things will fold and they will take over their market.
This is s tough issue because I am not saying the min wage is a good thing and will no effect. In fact I am saying the opposite that it will have an effect and weaker, less intelligent, less innovative, and unable to evolve in the 21st world are in trouble.
This is blockbuster vs redbox
And you got a lot of blockbuster people who are completely terrified because the weak won't be able to to compete in the new environment.
"Natural" selection is the result of "natural" pressures. Government forces are not natural. Granted changes will have to be made, but these can't be referred to as "natural selection". "Adaptations" would be much more accurate.
Not trying to be nit picky here but "natural selection" has positive scientific connotations that don't fit with this minimum wage situation.
"Evolution" is a bit more complicated and might be used here. However "evolution" generally refers to something becoming more complex, and if the result is downsizing and a less diverse work force in these companies then "evolution" doesn't work either.
Once again, not trying to be picky, it's just that having a science degree one gains respect for the terms "natural selection" and "evolution". A heavy handed Government artificially forcing changes isn't mother nature.
Quote Originally Posted by dl36:
Explain to me how this does not favor people companies that are innovative, efficient and will utilize technology better?
Natural selection occurs when there is a change in the environment. Whether the change is govt imposed or not, it is the change in the environment that weeds out the weak and strong survive. Or as often in evolution those with the characteristics such as intelligence, innovation, efficient and use technology and less dependent on workers will thrive because their competition that are none of those things will fold and they will take over their market.
This is s tough issue because I am not saying the min wage is a good thing and will no effect. In fact I am saying the opposite that it will have an effect and weaker, less intelligent, less innovative, and unable to evolve in the 21st world are in trouble.
This is blockbuster vs redbox
And you got a lot of blockbuster people who are completely terrified because the weak won't be able to to compete in the new environment.
"Natural" selection is the result of "natural" pressures. Government forces are not natural. Granted changes will have to be made, but these can't be referred to as "natural selection". "Adaptations" would be much more accurate.
Not trying to be nit picky here but "natural selection" has positive scientific connotations that don't fit with this minimum wage situation.
"Evolution" is a bit more complicated and might be used here. However "evolution" generally refers to something becoming more complex, and if the result is downsizing and a less diverse work force in these companies then "evolution" doesn't work either.
Once again, not trying to be picky, it's just that having a science degree one gains respect for the terms "natural selection" and "evolution". A heavy handed Government artificially forcing changes isn't mother nature.
Whether govt or not it is a change in the environment that results in certain traits having and advantage. You often see this in situations where man has an effect on the environment and evolutionary processes take place. As some one win a science degree I was assuming that you would be able to understand the concept and how environmental changes have the same effect whether by nature or not.
This is simply blockbuster vs redbox
The people and businesses that can't adapt will die and the people and businesses that are the most innovative, efficient, cost effective, utilize technology and are less dependent on workers will not only succeed but will thrive as the competition dies off. Plus in theory the people getting paid more will have more money to spend.
Once again I am not saying min wage increase is a good thing, but I am not flipping out about it either desperately grasping to the 20th century.
This could be a great matrix/terminator concept with an increase in technology.
Rise of the machines
Whether govt or not it is a change in the environment that results in certain traits having and advantage. You often see this in situations where man has an effect on the environment and evolutionary processes take place. As some one win a science degree I was assuming that you would be able to understand the concept and how environmental changes have the same effect whether by nature or not.
This is simply blockbuster vs redbox
The people and businesses that can't adapt will die and the people and businesses that are the most innovative, efficient, cost effective, utilize technology and are less dependent on workers will not only succeed but will thrive as the competition dies off. Plus in theory the people getting paid more will have more money to spend.
Once again I am not saying min wage increase is a good thing, but I am not flipping out about it either desperately grasping to the 20th century.
This could be a great matrix/terminator concept with an increase in technology.
Whether govt or not it is a change in the environment that results in certain traits having and advantage. You often see this in situations where man has an effect on the environment and evolutionary processes take place. As some one win a science degree I was assuming that you would be able to understand the concept and how environmental changes have the same effect whether by nature or not.
This is simply blockbuster vs redbox
The people and businesses that can't adapt will die and the people and businesses that are the most innovative, efficient, cost effective, utilize technology and are less dependent on workers will not only succeed but will thrive as the competition dies off. Plus in theory the people getting paid more will have more money to spend.
Once again I am not saying min wage increase is a good thing, but I am not flipping out about it either desperately grasping to the 20th century.
This could be a great matrix/terminator concept with an increase in technology.
Rise of the machines
Once again I am not disputing the business environment has changed or that businesses will be forced to adapt. I'm simply stating that it is not "natural selection" or "evolution".
If the government passed a law tomorrow that all blue eyed Americans must be killed you wouldn't call that natural selection
Quote Originally Posted by dl36:
Whether govt or not it is a change in the environment that results in certain traits having and advantage. You often see this in situations where man has an effect on the environment and evolutionary processes take place. As some one win a science degree I was assuming that you would be able to understand the concept and how environmental changes have the same effect whether by nature or not.
This is simply blockbuster vs redbox
The people and businesses that can't adapt will die and the people and businesses that are the most innovative, efficient, cost effective, utilize technology and are less dependent on workers will not only succeed but will thrive as the competition dies off. Plus in theory the people getting paid more will have more money to spend.
Once again I am not saying min wage increase is a good thing, but I am not flipping out about it either desperately grasping to the 20th century.
This could be a great matrix/terminator concept with an increase in technology.
Rise of the machines
Once again I am not disputing the business environment has changed or that businesses will be forced to adapt. I'm simply stating that it is not "natural selection" or "evolution".
If the government passed a law tomorrow that all blue eyed Americans must be killed you wouldn't call that natural selection
As a small business owner in a town with a low cost of living and luckily in a red state instead of an insane blue state, up to date I don't have to deal with the government imposing some insane minimum wage. In the event that this would happen, prices would go up and I'd likely cut the staff to make this work. I'm quite happy that the California's & Washington's are going to do this first, let them deal with the wreckage this will cause. The "Minimum Wage" was never meant to be a "Living Wage" but DL criticizes the way things were in the 20th century as if they were backwards.
Sure DL, the country had a manufacturing base for blue collar workers that made everything. In your new century the country makes next to nothing and state governments feel the need to raise the "minimum wage" because so many people are trying to live on it. Nearly no one made the minimum wage in the 70's & 80's, it was merely an entry level wage, I started at $2.35 an hour and there was no national movements to raise it to $8 (it would've been insane then as it is today). Hurray for Evolution!
As a small business owner in a town with a low cost of living and luckily in a red state instead of an insane blue state, up to date I don't have to deal with the government imposing some insane minimum wage. In the event that this would happen, prices would go up and I'd likely cut the staff to make this work. I'm quite happy that the California's & Washington's are going to do this first, let them deal with the wreckage this will cause. The "Minimum Wage" was never meant to be a "Living Wage" but DL criticizes the way things were in the 20th century as if they were backwards.
Sure DL, the country had a manufacturing base for blue collar workers that made everything. In your new century the country makes next to nothing and state governments feel the need to raise the "minimum wage" because so many people are trying to live on it. Nearly no one made the minimum wage in the 70's & 80's, it was merely an entry level wage, I started at $2.35 an hour and there was no national movements to raise it to $8 (it would've been insane then as it is today). Hurray for Evolution!
Minimum wage increase forces inflation. What was is erased. And the service sector where the biggest adjustment. Hits it will fuel basically double everything rent food clothing everything will rise it is a unseen consequences . in a free market increasing minimum. Wage will drive more below poverty. More unemployment and less dollar value. Same as it did in the 78-81 era. Sounds good but what happens is double digit unemployment double digit inflation and added to misery of the human condition more crime.
If they could freeze prices in a price control and then move minimum up fine but this is a recipe for disaster
Minimum wage increase forces inflation. What was is erased. And the service sector where the biggest adjustment. Hits it will fuel basically double everything rent food clothing everything will rise it is a unseen consequences . in a free market increasing minimum. Wage will drive more below poverty. More unemployment and less dollar value. Same as it did in the 78-81 era. Sounds good but what happens is double digit unemployment double digit inflation and added to misery of the human condition more crime.
If they could freeze prices in a price control and then move minimum up fine but this is a recipe for disaster
Minimum wage increase forces inflation. What was is erased. And the service sector where the biggest adjustment. Hits it will fuel basically double everything rent food clothing everything will rise it is a unseen consequences . in a free market increasing minimum. Wage will drive more below poverty. More unemployment and less dollar value. Same as it did in the 78-81 era. Sounds good but what happens is double digit unemployment double digit inflation and added to misery of the human condition more crime.
If they could freeze prices in a price control and then move minimum up fine but this is a recipe for disaster
Inflation happens no matter what.
Double? Where are you getting these numbers from? Sure eventually prices will double at some point due to inflation but to same that minimum wage increase will automatically result in prices doubling sounds like you're just making up figures.
Why not say prices will triple or quadruple while you are just making up numbers.
Also to say that unemployment will increase is another prediction but it's just that a prediction. Along with poverty increasing and crime. Why not just say disease will increase too and hospitals will close and chaos will ensue and martial law will be imposed as society completely crumbles.
Sounds like a lot of scare tactics but like I said the weak who can't evolve, innovate, adapt are absolutely terrified. And these tails of ruin and makeup numbers seem pretty symptomatic of the fear that the weak have
Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:
Minimum wage increase forces inflation. What was is erased. And the service sector where the biggest adjustment. Hits it will fuel basically double everything rent food clothing everything will rise it is a unseen consequences . in a free market increasing minimum. Wage will drive more below poverty. More unemployment and less dollar value. Same as it did in the 78-81 era. Sounds good but what happens is double digit unemployment double digit inflation and added to misery of the human condition more crime.
If they could freeze prices in a price control and then move minimum up fine but this is a recipe for disaster
Inflation happens no matter what.
Double? Where are you getting these numbers from? Sure eventually prices will double at some point due to inflation but to same that minimum wage increase will automatically result in prices doubling sounds like you're just making up figures.
Why not say prices will triple or quadruple while you are just making up numbers.
Also to say that unemployment will increase is another prediction but it's just that a prediction. Along with poverty increasing and crime. Why not just say disease will increase too and hospitals will close and chaos will ensue and martial law will be imposed as society completely crumbles.
Sounds like a lot of scare tactics but like I said the weak who can't evolve, innovate, adapt are absolutely terrified. And these tails of ruin and makeup numbers seem pretty symptomatic of the fear that the weak have