• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Anyone Here Have Success w/ AA?

    12 Next Last»
    Slobbasaurus
    SportsFan9698
    nature1970
    BWS77
    scalabrine
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2281
    Posts: 42
    12 Next Last»
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 9:39 AM ET #1

    I drink a considerable amount, but my cousin is completely out of control.  It's scary that he blacks out at times and doesn't remember making an @ss out of himself.

    I tried to convince him to do an impatient rehab for his problem, but he doesn't seem to think he has a problem.  He's a single guy that lives on his own and has a pretty good job.  I can't imagine how anyone in his office doesn't smell the booze on him in the morning.  
    I told him I'd go to an AA meeting with him, but he seems to be a little reluctant.

    Considering that this is a degenerate gambling website, I'm sure member either have been in my situation or experienced my cousin's first-hand.  

    Does AA work, or should he do an inpatient or outpatient rehab first?  Any input would be appreciated.



    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I drink a considerable amount, but my cousin is completely out of control.  It's scary that he blacks out at times and doesn't remember making an @ss out of himself.

    I tried to convince him to do an impatient rehab for his problem, but he doesn't seem to think he has a problem.  He's a single guy that lives on his own and has a pretty good job.  I can't imagine how anyone in his office doesn't smell the booze on him in the morning.  
    I told him I'd go to an AA meeting with him, but he seems to be a little reluctant.

    Considering that this is a degenerate gambling website, I'm sure member either have been in my situation or experienced my cousin's first-hand.  

    Does AA work, or should he do an inpatient or outpatient rehab first?  Any input would be appreciated.



     
    SportsFan9698
    SportsFan9698
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 5575
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 10:54 AM ET #2

    I don't have experience with AA... but I also once drank way too much.

    I realized it was effecting my life and my productivity, and I instantly cut back.  It was easy for me, I know it is not so easy for others.  My criteria for drinking now is only with others... social drinking.  I don't drink very much these days.

    My brother was a crack head many years ago.  He realized he needed to kick it if he wanted to live, so he put it down 15 years ago and never looked back.  No therapist, no group BS - he just put it down.

    I think all you need is a realization you want a better life, and some internal strength to do it.  As Yoda says... no try, DO

    Sounds like your friend is still rationalizing.  Unfortunately, I think he will need to lose a job or crash his car before he gets his head on straight.
    Reply
    I don't have experience with AA... but I also once drank way too much.

    I realized it was effecting my life and my productivity, and I instantly cut back.  It was easy for me, I know it is not so easy for others.  My criteria for drinking now is only with others... social drinking.  I don't drink very much these days.

    My brother was a crack head many years ago.  He realized he needed to kick it if he wanted to live, so he put it down 15 years ago and never looked back.  No therapist, no group BS - he just put it down.

    I think all you need is a realization you want a better life, and some internal strength to do it.  As Yoda says... no try, DO

    Sounds like your friend is still rationalizing.  Unfortunately, I think he will need to lose a job or crash his car before he gets his head on straight.
     
    SportsFan9698
    SportsFan9698
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 5575
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 11:00 AM ET #3

    This is a gamble... but we all here are gamblers.  You might want to tell him how you feel.  Tell him you love him but you cannot continue to be his friend if he does not make a change.

    It might give him a reason to rethink his ways.  It might not, it is a gamble


    Reply
    This is a gamble... but we all here are gamblers.  You might want to tell him how you feel.  Tell him you love him but you cannot continue to be his friend if he does not make a change.

    It might give him a reason to rethink his ways.  It might not, it is a gamble


     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 11:47 AM ET #4

    unless someone desires to quit they won't , my best friend died of opiate addiction, she was bright happy generous had a job went to college seemed to be making it well.
     got into a car accident about 20 years ago put on pain killers and became a different person.

    14 years later she lost her family her Job her soul it seemed it was all about heroin she died in a women's homeless shelter with a needle in her arm. how I consoled this is my friend died in a car accident, her body didn't quit for 14 years later.

    point being aa or na rehab and all of it made no difference because she wanted that drug more than she wanted to quit good luck with this its hard to watch a friend destroy their lives.


    Reply
    unless someone desires to quit they won't , my best friend died of opiate addiction, she was bright happy generous had a job went to college seemed to be making it well.
     got into a car accident about 20 years ago put on pain killers and became a different person.

    14 years later she lost her family her Job her soul it seemed it was all about heroin she died in a women's homeless shelter with a needle in her arm. how I consoled this is my friend died in a car accident, her body didn't quit for 14 years later.

    point being aa or na rehab and all of it made no difference because she wanted that drug more than she wanted to quit good luck with this its hard to watch a friend destroy their lives.


     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 12:58 PM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    unless someone desires to quit they won't , 
    point being aa or na rehab and all of it made no difference because she wanted that drug more than she wanted to quit good luck with this its hard to watch a friend destroy their lives.




      X 1,000,000 


    If they don't want to quit or don't think they have a problem, AA will be a waste of time.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    unless someone desires to quit they won't , 
    point being aa or na rehab and all of it made no difference because she wanted that drug more than she wanted to quit good luck with this its hard to watch a friend destroy their lives.




      X 1,000,000 


    If they don't want to quit or don't think they have a problem, AA will be a waste of time.  
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 2:57 PM ET #6

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.



    Reply
    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.



     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 3:11 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.


    Fail 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.


    Fail 
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 3:14 PM ET #8

    Thanks for your input fellas.  I kind of figured that if he's the only one that could help himself.  It doesn't sound like he's ready to quit.

    I guess he needs to hit rock bottom and he hasn't gotten there yet.  It just hurts because he's family and we grew up together.  I just don't want to see him throw his llife away but there's only so much I can do I suppose.

    Again, I appreciate the input
    Reply
    Thanks for your input fellas.  I kind of figured that if he's the only one that could help himself.  It doesn't sound like he's ready to quit.

    I guess he needs to hit rock bottom and he hasn't gotten there yet.  It just hurts because he's family and we grew up together.  I just don't want to see him throw his llife away but there's only so much I can do I suppose.

    Again, I appreciate the input
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 4:04 PM ET #9

    The whole rehab process statistically has a 5% rate of success. You really have to want to stop and that doesn't sound like the case.
    Guy that lives next to me just left an hour ago for is THIRD trip to detox and inpatient rehab. He won't make it to 45.



    Reply
    The whole rehab process statistically has a 5% rate of success. You really have to want to stop and that doesn't sound like the case.
    Guy that lives next to me just left an hour ago for is THIRD trip to detox and inpatient rehab. He won't make it to 45.



     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 4:06 PM ET #10

    That statistic is disconcerting.  Addiction is a monster
    Reply
    That statistic is disconcerting.  Addiction is a monster
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 5:00 PM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    The whole rehab process statistically has a 5% rate of success. You really have to want to stop and that doesn't sound like the case.
    Guy that lives next to me just left an hour ago for is THIRD trip to detox and inpatient rehab. He won't make it to 45.




    I have a close friend that has been doing AA for a while, and he's also been in rehab 4-5 times that I'm aware of.   From what he says, rehab sounds like high school detention...   most are just there because they were ordered there by the courts.  Pretty much just people doing their time before they can get out and go back to it again.   

    AA may help some people, but to me it seems like a sort of cult for the weak.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    The whole rehab process statistically has a 5% rate of success. You really have to want to stop and that doesn't sound like the case.
    Guy that lives next to me just left an hour ago for is THIRD trip to detox and inpatient rehab. He won't make it to 45.




    I have a close friend that has been doing AA for a while, and he's also been in rehab 4-5 times that I'm aware of.   From what he says, rehab sounds like high school detention...   most are just there because they were ordered there by the courts.  Pretty much just people doing their time before they can get out and go back to it again.   

    AA may help some people, but to me it seems like a sort of cult for the weak.  
     
    benhogan76
    benhogan76
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 63860
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 5:16 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.



    You are so hard to like.
    We should stop eating bananas.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.



    You are so hard to like.
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 5:32 PM ET #13


    I wish there was a short answer.

    There isn't.

    Everybody is different.

    If your cousin doesn't want to go, you cannot make that happen.

    BUT, you CAN convince him NOT to drive and endanger other lives.

    That, my friend, is where you should start.


    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    I wish there was a short answer.

    There isn't.

    Everybody is different.

    If your cousin doesn't want to go, you cannot make that happen.

    BUT, you CAN convince him NOT to drive and endanger other lives.

    That, my friend, is where you should start.


     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 5:58 PM ET #14

    Thanks Goose 
    Reply
    Thanks Goose 
     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 6:19 PM ET #15

     I went to AA for about 2 years to try to save a marriage. Both my ex & myself were drinking excessively........ AA didn't save our marriage, but I was sober for 1005 days & she has been sober for over 12 years (yes, an AA success story).
     What others have said is true...........if you WANT to get sober then AA can help. But they can't do it for you. I learned a lot in those 2 years, & a lot of it applies to your general demeanor in every day life. I went back to drinking but I'm nothing like I was before.
     Every drunk thinks their story is unique, & that no one could possibly understand what they're going through.
    Reply
     I went to AA for about 2 years to try to save a marriage. Both my ex & myself were drinking excessively........ AA didn't save our marriage, but I was sober for 1005 days & she has been sober for over 12 years (yes, an AA success story).
     What others have said is true...........if you WANT to get sober then AA can help. But they can't do it for you. I learned a lot in those 2 years, & a lot of it applies to your general demeanor in every day life. I went back to drinking but I'm nothing like I was before.
     Every drunk thinks their story is unique, & that no one could possibly understand what they're going through.
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 7:22 PM ET #16

    Your cousin will have to hit a rock bottom to open his eyes.

    My wife just passed 2700 days of sobriety.

    We are no longer together.
    Reply
    Your cousin will have to hit a rock bottom to open his eyes.

    My wife just passed 2700 days of sobriety.

    We are no longer together.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 7:23 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by benhogan76:

    You are so hard to like.

    Who's trying to be liked by anonymous men on gambling website?
    Me? When did that start? I was winning awards for most despised in the penalty box not long ago. And I proudly wear that badge of honor with a smile on my face.



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by benhogan76:

    You are so hard to like.

    Who's trying to be liked by anonymous men on gambling website?
    Me? When did that start? I was winning awards for most despised in the penalty box not long ago. And I proudly wear that badge of honor with a smile on my face.



     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 7:51 PM ET #18

    Project Zero I've heard very good things about. AA I understand requires you to declare yourself totally helpless and over powered. Essentially stripping all dignity away from people. Personally I'm not cool with their methods and maybe your cousin isn't either.
    Reply
    Project Zero I've heard very good things about. AA I understand requires you to declare yourself totally helpless and over powered. Essentially stripping all dignity away from people. Personally I'm not cool with their methods and maybe your cousin isn't either.
     
    ironlionzion722
    ironlionzion722
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 2474
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 10:38 PM ET #19

    You def have to want to quit to quit. That's the best advice. Everyone is different I have a friend who was a complete train wreck duis, lost his job, his gf, depression etc and he embraced the meetings and is over 2 years sober. I have other friends who just quit on their own conversely I had friends and family who drank themselves to death even when they knew if they kept goin they'd die. It's really a personal decision when is too much too much? When does someone get sick and tired of feeling sick and tired? That threshold is diff for everyone. I've done my fair share of partying but could always stop when I needed/wanted to. Having a sense of purpose in life and healthy outlets to manage stress definitely helps I think.
    Reply
    You def have to want to quit to quit. That's the best advice. Everyone is different I have a friend who was a complete train wreck duis, lost his job, his gf, depression etc and he embraced the meetings and is over 2 years sober. I have other friends who just quit on their own conversely I had friends and family who drank themselves to death even when they knew if they kept goin they'd die. It's really a personal decision when is too much too much? When does someone get sick and tired of feeling sick and tired? That threshold is diff for everyone. I've done my fair share of partying but could always stop when I needed/wanted to. Having a sense of purpose in life and healthy outlets to manage stress definitely helps I think.
     
    Drizle
    Drizle
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 466
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 11:47 PM ET #20

    For years I wanted to quit but never understood how I would be able to.  It was a consistent cycle of spinning my wheels.  At best I could maybe go a week.  A friend of mine who was going through AA at the time gave me the Big Book.  I didn't agree with all that was written in there but I did find a lot of relatable material.  i also found a AA website that I used to read constantly.  I never went to an AA meeting, but there were certain things that just started to click in my head and made sense.  One of the major points was that I can't drink like a normal person.  My body and brain does not have the mechanism anymore to say you need to stop.  I may have had that at one time, but it became later that I would only stop when I passed out or ran out of booze and the stores were closed.  

    Now I'm coming up on 4 years sober.  It was a lot of work but its certainly doable.  For months at the beginning, the brain tries to rationalize every which way to get the booze back in your system.

    Best of luck to your cousin if/when/however he decides to tackle it.    
    Reply
    For years I wanted to quit but never understood how I would be able to.  It was a consistent cycle of spinning my wheels.  At best I could maybe go a week.  A friend of mine who was going through AA at the time gave me the Big Book.  I didn't agree with all that was written in there but I did find a lot of relatable material.  i also found a AA website that I used to read constantly.  I never went to an AA meeting, but there were certain things that just started to click in my head and made sense.  One of the major points was that I can't drink like a normal person.  My body and brain does not have the mechanism anymore to say you need to stop.  I may have had that at one time, but it became later that I would only stop when I passed out or ran out of booze and the stores were closed.  

    Now I'm coming up on 4 years sober.  It was a lot of work but its certainly doable.  For months at the beginning, the brain tries to rationalize every which way to get the booze back in your system.

    Best of luck to your cousin if/when/however he decides to tackle it.    
     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2016 - 11:50 PM ET #21

    Yes, I think as other posters have mentioned a very important point ; 

     a person has to ""acknowledge""  that he/she has a problem , before that problem can be fixed..  You cannot fix a person that does not acknowledge their problem.

     

     

     

    Reply

    Yes, I think as other posters have mentioned a very important point ; 

     a person has to ""acknowledge""  that he/she has a problem , before that problem can be fixed..  You cannot fix a person that does not acknowledge their problem.

     

     

     

     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2016 - 12:34 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.




    Wow.....

    You finally create a decent thread about the K-9 police abuse, and then, just when I think you've finally turned a corner, I read this sad and pathetic attempt at "humor"......


    Instantly shocked right back to "Scalabreality"......
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    AA?

    Well the last 3 times I played pocket aces, I was cracked by suited connectors, a running flush and a gutshot straight draw. 

    So I guess you could say I've been pretty unsuccessful with pocket rockets in the short term.




    Wow.....

    You finally create a decent thread about the K-9 police abuse, and then, just when I think you've finally turned a corner, I read this sad and pathetic attempt at "humor"......


    Instantly shocked right back to "Scalabreality"......
     
    vetdrm
    vetdrm
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2003
    Posts: 14987
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2016 - 1:24 PM ET #23

    After successfully completing your AA program you are given a token ...
    Kind of like a graduation certificate. Congrats



    There is a bar within one mile of that institution that offers you a free drink in exchange for that same token.There are countless tokens on the wall behind that bar.
    Reply
    After successfully completing your AA program you are given a token ...
    Kind of like a graduation certificate. Congrats



    There is a bar within one mile of that institution that offers you a free drink in exchange for that same token.There are countless tokens on the wall behind that bar.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2016 - 1:36 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by GimmeMoneyNow:


    Wow.....

    You finally create a decent thread about the K-9 police abuse, and then, just when I think you've finally turned a corner, I read this sad and pathetic attempt at "humor"......


    Instantly shocked right back to "Scalabreality"......

     

    Actually it's not that shocking. Any poker player who hears "AA" instantly thinks pocket aces.

    So it's a tongue-in-cheek joke that is hardly disrespectful to the OP and for poker players only, and anyone outside that circle apparently is offended. Not surprising.

    It's really not meant to be all that funny either. It's just a wink and a nod to poker because he used an abbreviation in the title. Much like a lot of the stuff Hawk writes. It's not meant to be laugh out loud funny but more observational with a twist.

    Anyhow, I don't drink so I have nothing to offer the OP.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by GimmeMoneyNow:


    Wow.....

    You finally create a decent thread about the K-9 police abuse, and then, just when I think you've finally turned a corner, I read this sad and pathetic attempt at "humor"......


    Instantly shocked right back to "Scalabreality"......

     

    Actually it's not that shocking. Any poker player who hears "AA" instantly thinks pocket aces.

    So it's a tongue-in-cheek joke that is hardly disrespectful to the OP and for poker players only, and anyone outside that circle apparently is offended. Not surprising.

    It's really not meant to be all that funny either. It's just a wink and a nod to poker because he used an abbreviation in the title. Much like a lot of the stuff Hawk writes. It's not meant to be laugh out loud funny but more observational with a twist.

    Anyhow, I don't drink so I have nothing to offer the OP.

     
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2016 - 2:57 PM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Anyhow, I don't drink so I have nothing to offer the OP.


    You've been sober while posting on this site??? 


    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:

    Anyhow, I don't drink so I have nothing to offer the OP.


    You've been sober while posting on this site??? 


    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,355
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 435
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,890
    • PART DEUX 151
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 842
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,853
    • Week 6 Money 8,380
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,246
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,241

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.