Probably a 42" or 46".
Also, any feedback on difference between 720p and 1080p...other than a smart ass answer of "about 360p" (which quite frankly is how I would respond to a similar request).
Can't go wrong with it Dave. Viera owner here ![]()
If you watch a lot of blu rays then go for the 1080p, otherwise the 720 would be more than adequate.
Can't go wrong with it Dave. Viera owner here ![]()
If you watch a lot of blu rays then go for the 1080p, otherwise the 720 would be more than adequate.
Unless you have a blu ray or playstation, don't bother wit h 1080p and with a 42 inch it really doesn't make much difference anyway.
Personally I'm a Samsung and Sony fan.
Unless you have a blu ray or playstation, don't bother wit h 1080p and with a 42 inch it really doesn't make much difference anyway.
Personally I'm a Samsung and Sony fan.
When you have a 42" or less monitor the difference is so small it's just not worth it. Now over a 42" is a completely different story.
When you have a 42" or less monitor the difference is so small it's just not worth it. Now over a 42" is a completely different story.
For reference for everyone.
Broadcast are not in 1080p yet in the U.S. All major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. Satellite service though has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format eg Direc TV,XstreamHD,Dish Network. Today's high-def broadcasts are done in either 1080i or 720p, and there's little or no chance they'll jump to 1080p any time soon, because of bandwidth issues. Dish Networks, Direct TV, and other cable and satellite providers are starting to offer 1080p content on demand, but it's worth noting that the bitrate is not as high as Blu-ray's, so there's some video-compression magic at work. As for gaming, Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 games are usually 720p native, though some titles are being offered in 1080p resolution (also, the 720p titles can be upscaled to 1080i or 1080p in the user settings of those consoles). Really, the main way to get true 1080p output--aside from hooking your PC to your HDTV--is to get a Blu-ray player (yes, HD DVD players are another potential route, but Toshiba killed HD DVD last year). All Blu-ray players support 1080p output, and--more importantly--the vast majority of discs are natively encoded at 1080p.
For reference for everyone.
Broadcast are not in 1080p yet in the U.S. All major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. Satellite service though has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format eg Direc TV,XstreamHD,Dish Network. Today's high-def broadcasts are done in either 1080i or 720p, and there's little or no chance they'll jump to 1080p any time soon, because of bandwidth issues. Dish Networks, Direct TV, and other cable and satellite providers are starting to offer 1080p content on demand, but it's worth noting that the bitrate is not as high as Blu-ray's, so there's some video-compression magic at work. As for gaming, Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 games are usually 720p native, though some titles are being offered in 1080p resolution (also, the 720p titles can be upscaled to 1080i or 1080p in the user settings of those consoles). Really, the main way to get true 1080p output--aside from hooking your PC to your HDTV--is to get a Blu-ray player (yes, HD DVD players are another potential route, but Toshiba killed HD DVD last year). All Blu-ray players support 1080p output, and--more importantly--the vast majority of discs are natively encoded at 1080p.
Unless you have a blu ray or playstation, don't bother wit h 1080p and with a 42 inch it really doesn't make much difference anyway.
Personally I'm a Samsung and Sony fan.
Lipps hit it on the head.
Unless you have a blu ray or playstation, don't bother wit h 1080p and with a 42 inch it really doesn't make much difference anyway.
Personally I'm a Samsung and Sony fan.
Lipps hit it on the head.
If you subscribe to the HD movie channels on Directv I would do it for sure.
Or if you may get a blu ray player, and face it. We all will sometime in the next year or so. The prices are falling like crazy and the prices of the movies are also coming down.
The key is getting a 46". That is big enough where you will see a difference.
When were you thinking about pulling the trigger ? I will post some deals depending on when you are going to plunk down the cash.
If you subscribe to the HD movie channels on Directv I would do it for sure.
Or if you may get a blu ray player, and face it. We all will sometime in the next year or so. The prices are falling like crazy and the prices of the movies are also coming down.
The key is getting a 46". That is big enough where you will see a difference.
When were you thinking about pulling the trigger ? I will post some deals depending on when you are going to plunk down the cash.
Anything other than a Sony, and you are white trash who can't afford a real television set. Back in Eastern Europe in the early 80's, we used to kill people for Sony tv's.
Anything other than a Sony, and you are white trash who can't afford a real television set. Back in Eastern Europe in the early 80's, we used to kill people for Sony tv's.
Will check deals for a few days. I will post them in this thread.
Will check deals for a few days. I will post them in this thread.
I have the 46" 1080 and I like it a lot. I have a buddy in the business (his company does custom home environments). He said it is probably their biggest seller in that size range.
![]()
I have the 46" 1080 and I like it a lot. I have a buddy in the business (his company does custom home environments). He said it is probably their biggest seller in that size range.
![]()
