• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Any advice on how to quit video poker and slots?

    12 Next Last»
    TFF
    dl36
    dennishopson
    greedler
    Gunners
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 9528
    Posts: 45
    12 Next Last»
     
    TFF
    TFF
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2011
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:00 AM ET #1

    I live in Las Vegas, can't shake it.  Need serious replies please. 

    What started out as a 300 dollar loss, has turned in to 3 grand.  I won, and wanted to win more, but then, I hit a losing streak and have been chasing that money.  Losing a lot.  I cannot get that loss of money out of my head, which is why I lose more and more.  What have you guys done to quit? The sad thing is I do great in sports, but put it back in the casinos.  How do you forget the lost money? I have a hard time with losing that much.  Any suggestions? I want to quit this forever and just stick to sports (with low wages), how do I quit? It's taken so much from me, I'm thinking of leaving Vegas next month forever (though finding another job will be very hard).

    Thanks

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    I live in Las Vegas, can't shake it.  Need serious replies please. 

    What started out as a 300 dollar loss, has turned in to 3 grand.  I won, and wanted to win more, but then, I hit a losing streak and have been chasing that money.  Losing a lot.  I cannot get that loss of money out of my head, which is why I lose more and more.  What have you guys done to quit? The sad thing is I do great in sports, but put it back in the casinos.  How do you forget the lost money? I have a hard time with losing that much.  Any suggestions? I want to quit this forever and just stick to sports (with low wages), how do I quit? It's taken so much from me, I'm thinking of leaving Vegas next month forever (though finding another job will be very hard).

    Thanks

     
    dl36
    dl36
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2003
    Posts: 27850
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:18 AM ET #2

    Your story is common for people that play those machines.

    Video poker and slots are probably the most addictive type of gambling out there.  Given enough play it can become compulsive.

    Thinking alot about it and your losses is a bad sign.
    Chasing or being obsessed with getting "your" money back... bad sign also

    Here's where you got it backwards...

    "your money" is in your bank, it is your pay check, its in your hands... even the money you win from gambling is your's (you are not playing with "house money" when you are up)

    The "casino/house money" is what is behind the cage... In the vault, in their bank accounts...  There is where your losses are located because the money you lost is no longer yours...  By location and definition it is the casino's

    If you can uncross yourself on this simple reality that "your money" is not sitting a bankaccount, safe or machine at the casino because it is the "casino's money", you should be able to start the process of letting go the loss and healing from the chasing compulsion...

    Good luck and if have any questions or want more info, just ask












    Reply
    Your story is common for people that play those machines.

    Video poker and slots are probably the most addictive type of gambling out there.  Given enough play it can become compulsive.

    Thinking alot about it and your losses is a bad sign.
    Chasing or being obsessed with getting "your" money back... bad sign also

    Here's where you got it backwards...

    "your money" is in your bank, it is your pay check, its in your hands... even the money you win from gambling is your's (you are not playing with "house money" when you are up)

    The "casino/house money" is what is behind the cage... In the vault, in their bank accounts...  There is where your losses are located because the money you lost is no longer yours...  By location and definition it is the casino's

    If you can uncross yourself on this simple reality that "your money" is not sitting a bankaccount, safe or machine at the casino because it is the "casino's money", you should be able to start the process of letting go the loss and healing from the chasing compulsion...

    Good luck and if have any questions or want more info, just ask












     
    TFF
    TFF
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2011
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:23 AM ET #3

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.

    Reply

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.

     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:40 AM ET #4

    I live primarily in Vegas now, have always liked video poker, but like anything, I can get bored of stuff. I can walk right by it now...Took being here awhile though...

    I like sitting at bars just about any city/town, and I agree it can be damn difficult in Vegas to find fun bars that don't cost a zillion bucks for a drink that don't have video poker in front of every bar stool.....

    A lot of specialty restaurants/chain restaurants have fun social setting type bars, plenty of women, etc....that don't have those machines in their bars if that's any kind of help....assuming the issue is that the bars the you are going to all seem to have vid poker between you and the bartender....

    I dunno dude.

    Are you using video poker to "escape" perhaps certain stress, concerns, or issues in your life?

    GL, and I can only think that talking about it either here or be honest and up front with those close to you in your life about what you are going through can only help. If people that interact with you in person with frequency know about it and care about you, perhaps they can give support by helping divert your attention from it........

    If you can't beat the addiction to video poker, moving from Vegas might be the option....This city is overrated anyway....

    Once again, more you talk about it with people in your life, or even here in small ways, can only help. Best of luck.


    Reply
    I live primarily in Vegas now, have always liked video poker, but like anything, I can get bored of stuff. I can walk right by it now...Took being here awhile though...

    I like sitting at bars just about any city/town, and I agree it can be damn difficult in Vegas to find fun bars that don't cost a zillion bucks for a drink that don't have video poker in front of every bar stool.....

    A lot of specialty restaurants/chain restaurants have fun social setting type bars, plenty of women, etc....that don't have those machines in their bars if that's any kind of help....assuming the issue is that the bars the you are going to all seem to have vid poker between you and the bartender....

    I dunno dude.

    Are you using video poker to "escape" perhaps certain stress, concerns, or issues in your life?

    GL, and I can only think that talking about it either here or be honest and up front with those close to you in your life about what you are going through can only help. If people that interact with you in person with frequency know about it and care about you, perhaps they can give support by helping divert your attention from it........

    If you can't beat the addiction to video poker, moving from Vegas might be the option....This city is overrated anyway....

    Once again, more you talk about it with people in your life, or even here in small ways, can only help. Best of luck.


     
    greedler
    greedler
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 583
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:42 AM ET #5

    Your not alone brother I to used to live in vegas and have done the same exact thing. Look at the big picture. No need to move from vegas to stop just stick with sports like you said. Consider your self lucky Its only three grand but you have to stop now before it gets any worse. Just chalk the three grand up as a loss and put it out of your head. If you dont stop now your going to make things a whole lot worse just dont do it. I know its easier said than done but youve got to let it go. Be glad you have a job once you get paid again youll feel better but leave those evil fucking machines alone!
    Reply
    Your not alone brother I to used to live in vegas and have done the same exact thing. Look at the big picture. No need to move from vegas to stop just stick with sports like you said. Consider your self lucky Its only three grand but you have to stop now before it gets any worse. Just chalk the three grand up as a loss and put it out of your head. If you dont stop now your going to make things a whole lot worse just dont do it. I know its easier said than done but youve got to let it go. Be glad you have a job once you get paid again youll feel better but leave those evil fucking machines alone!
     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:44 AM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by TFF:

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TFF:

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....
     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:47 AM ET #7

    TFF, what type of job do you have in Vegas that you believe that you can't duplicate in any number of way cooler more fun cities to live in?

    Not asking for specifics, just general description of job.
    Reply
    TFF, what type of job do you have in Vegas that you believe that you can't duplicate in any number of way cooler more fun cities to live in?

    Not asking for specifics, just general description of job.
     
    greedler
    greedler
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 583
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:48 AM ET #8

    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....
    Hes 100% right you are able to see that your starting to have a problem thats a huge step that takes some people 10s of thousands to get to. Just tuff it out till you get paid again and youll feel better.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....
    Hes 100% right you are able to see that your starting to have a problem thats a huge step that takes some people 10s of thousands to get to. Just tuff it out till you get paid again and youll feel better.
     
    TFF
    TFF
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2011
    Posts: 5
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:55 AM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:

    TFF, what type of job do you have in Vegas that you believe that you can't duplicate in any number of way cooler more fun cities to live in?

    Not asking for specifics, just general description of job.

    Hey Dennis,

    The reason I'm stuck here, is that in my early twenties I gambled thousands, and got stuck.  I had money to leave, I couldn't.  Now, it came back.  I have 13 months to go (I get certification) and I can then go any city.  A part of me knows that the reason why I haven't been able to raise a family, travel, buy a home, is because of the gambling in early twenties.  This has me upset, but motivated to quit.  I haven't been working five days last three months, so I had lots of time, time equals gambling for me.  I can't have free time.  I hit sports all the time, I hit a six teamer Sunday night, put it back in the machines in two hours. 

    I don't escape, I gamble for the profit of money.  And when I lose, I'm hell bent on getting it back, hence my problem.  I was thinking of black listing myself.  I am thinking of getting an online account and just betting sports. 

    I know you guys won't believe me, but I hit close to 60 percent on NBA and MLB every year, but have nothing to show for it.  Because of slots and video poker. 

    I believe that the devil is on this earth, and he resides in those casinos.  If there is a place in hell for me, I know there's a special place for them too.  But, I don't want to dwell on that.  I want to be the successful sports "recreation" bettor. 

    Gambling has taken too much.  I want my life back.  I want to be recreational sports bettor.  I hope all of you can chime in and help me out.  I am struggling with erasing the money lost from my memory.  Thanks again.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:

    TFF, what type of job do you have in Vegas that you believe that you can't duplicate in any number of way cooler more fun cities to live in?

    Not asking for specifics, just general description of job.

    Hey Dennis,

    The reason I'm stuck here, is that in my early twenties I gambled thousands, and got stuck.  I had money to leave, I couldn't.  Now, it came back.  I have 13 months to go (I get certification) and I can then go any city.  A part of me knows that the reason why I haven't been able to raise a family, travel, buy a home, is because of the gambling in early twenties.  This has me upset, but motivated to quit.  I haven't been working five days last three months, so I had lots of time, time equals gambling for me.  I can't have free time.  I hit sports all the time, I hit a six teamer Sunday night, put it back in the machines in two hours. 

    I don't escape, I gamble for the profit of money.  And when I lose, I'm hell bent on getting it back, hence my problem.  I was thinking of black listing myself.  I am thinking of getting an online account and just betting sports. 

    I know you guys won't believe me, but I hit close to 60 percent on NBA and MLB every year, but have nothing to show for it.  Because of slots and video poker. 

    I believe that the devil is on this earth, and he resides in those casinos.  If there is a place in hell for me, I know there's a special place for them too.  But, I don't want to dwell on that.  I want to be the successful sports "recreation" bettor. 

    Gambling has taken too much.  I want my life back.  I want to be recreational sports bettor.  I hope all of you can chime in and help me out.  I am struggling with erasing the money lost from my memory.  Thanks again.

     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 4:57 AM ET #10

    Greedler, can I give you a list of about a dozen assholes in my life and their phone numbers, then ask you to call them and tell them that it's possible for me to be "right" about something? LOL




    Reply
    Greedler, can I give you a list of about a dozen assholes in my life and their phone numbers, then ask you to call them and tell them that it's possible for me to be "right" about something? LOL




     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 5:06 AM ET #11

    TFF, I have done that myself.....go 3 out of 4 or whatever....done well on early set of games, play some later ones, not want to leave so that when they win, can can cash the sports ticket and not make another trip there....Well, I've gotten bored and played those dumbass games with earlier winnings, and the night of decent sports capping is wasted....Feels stupid. I know. lots of us have done it.

    I have an idea that will stop that. Don't bet your sports in the sports books out here in Vegas. bet with the online books in the Carribean like BetJamaica or The Greek, and watch the games from home. You won't play video poker while watching or waiting for your games to end, right?

    Dude, like myself and Greedler said, you are talking about it and know whats going on and why it's messing you up. that's huge bro.


    Reply
    TFF, I have done that myself.....go 3 out of 4 or whatever....done well on early set of games, play some later ones, not want to leave so that when they win, can can cash the sports ticket and not make another trip there....Well, I've gotten bored and played those dumbass games with earlier winnings, and the night of decent sports capping is wasted....Feels stupid. I know. lots of us have done it.

    I have an idea that will stop that. Don't bet your sports in the sports books out here in Vegas. bet with the online books in the Carribean like BetJamaica or The Greek, and watch the games from home. You won't play video poker while watching or waiting for your games to end, right?

    Dude, like myself and Greedler said, you are talking about it and know whats going on and why it's messing you up. that's huge bro.


     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 5:10 AM ET #12

    I am thinking of getting an online account and just betting sports.

    See? You are already thinking of strategies to prevent what we were talking about.

    I really only like playing in a few sportsbooks out here anyway, and I really hate all the idiots screaming square stupid ignorant shit like they already won their plays in the 1st qtr , 3rd inning, 1st half, etc etc of games. Drives me nuts.

    Bet online at home, and you'll never blow your winnings from sports.....At least not until you leave your house. Stay home more..
    Reply
    I am thinking of getting an online account and just betting sports.

    See? You are already thinking of strategies to prevent what we were talking about.

    I really only like playing in a few sportsbooks out here anyway, and I really hate all the idiots screaming square stupid ignorant shit like they already won their plays in the 1st qtr , 3rd inning, 1st half, etc etc of games. Drives me nuts.

    Bet online at home, and you'll never blow your winnings from sports.....At least not until you leave your house. Stay home more..
     
    greedler
    greedler
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 583
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 5:24 AM ET #13

    *Sniff Sniff* I smell some troll shit.

    Reply

    *Sniff Sniff* I smell some troll shit.

     
    Gunners
    Gunners
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2006
    Posts: 3392
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 8:42 AM ET #14

    you should focus on getting a real job.  $3k is not that much money in the grand scheme of things.  you should make that amount in a month with a real job. 

    you should stop gambling.  Even sports.  Stop gambling all together.  easier said than done, i know.  but just STOP.  focus on getting a real job in the real world and worrying about $3K will be a think of the past. 

    Reply

    you should focus on getting a real job.  $3k is not that much money in the grand scheme of things.  you should make that amount in a month with a real job. 

    you should stop gambling.  Even sports.  Stop gambling all together.  easier said than done, i know.  but just STOP.  focus on getting a real job in the real world and worrying about $3K will be a think of the past. 

     
    Messier-11
    Messier-11
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 11184
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 10:23 AM ET #15

    maybe check out some gambling anonymous meetings.
    Reply
    maybe check out some gambling anonymous meetings.
     
    Jarrett75
    Jarrett75
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 27902
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 10:45 AM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....


    good advice there. I won around 28k this spring/summer and lost it in about 4 months. Since then I can't get over losing that much in such a short time. I kept reloading $300-$400 at a time thinking I was hot as shit one time, the cold streak won't last. After losing it I have done little but dwell on trying to get the majority of it back and it's hard to get past that. But that's good advice.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishopson:



    First thing to do is mentally get over that 3 grand, "getting it back", etc.....

    Act like it was stolen or you lost it.It's gone and over with.....It isn't a personal thing of you vs. video poker as an entity that beat you....

    You'll get through this. I'm confident, since the first step is self awareness of the issue and problem....


    good advice there. I won around 28k this spring/summer and lost it in about 4 months. Since then I can't get over losing that much in such a short time. I kept reloading $300-$400 at a time thinking I was hot as shit one time, the cold streak won't last. After losing it I have done little but dwell on trying to get the majority of it back and it's hard to get past that. But that's good advice.
     
    jamesxnj
    jamesxnj
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 1093
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 11:24 AM ET #17

    If you do open an online book,choose one that does not have a casino option. (If there is one out there).

    The online Roulette and VP are tough to stay away from.You know in a real casino it's hard cash you've just made and giving back,but online it's WTF and it's 24/7..Crack like.

    Good luck man.

    Reply

    If you do open an online book,choose one that does not have a casino option. (If there is one out there).

    The online Roulette and VP are tough to stay away from.You know in a real casino it's hard cash you've just made and giving back,but online it's WTF and it's 24/7..Crack like.

    Good luck man.

     
    Europa
    Europa
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2003
    Posts: 42721
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 11:56 AM ET #18

    Slot machines are probably the second worst game for gamblers in LV, Keno game is the #1 sucker game in terms of odds favor to the gambler. Don't gamble on the sucker games, play sports in you have to.
    Reply
    Slot machines are probably the second worst game for gamblers in LV, Keno game is the #1 sucker game in terms of odds favor to the gambler. Don't gamble on the sucker games, play sports in you have to.
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 1:15 PM ET #19

    Gambling has taken too much.  I want my life back.  I want to be recreational sports bettor. 

    _________

    Impossible IMO.  You will never be able to be a recreational bettor.  I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for the Nascar race.  We took a cab to the race track and got to talk to the cabbie for about 45 minutes.  He said, "2 things happen in Vegas....you either figure out how to live here without throwing your life away or you can't live here because you never will be able to make it work."  I believe that.  And it looks like you are in the latter group.  I vote "get out when you can." 

    Reply

    Gambling has taken too much.  I want my life back.  I want to be recreational sports bettor. 

    _________

    Impossible IMO.  You will never be able to be a recreational bettor.  I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for the Nascar race.  We took a cab to the race track and got to talk to the cabbie for about 45 minutes.  He said, "2 things happen in Vegas....you either figure out how to live here without throwing your life away or you can't live here because you never will be able to make it work."  I believe that.  And it looks like you are in the latter group.  I vote "get out when you can." 

     
    steveshane67
    steveshane67
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 2062
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 1:18 PM ET #20

    id move up to the high slots area and get your money back that way, better odds on the more expensive machines
    Reply
    id move up to the high slots area and get your money back that way, better odds on the more expensive machines
     
    dl36
    dl36
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2003
    Posts: 27850
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 2:25 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by TFF:

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.



    This can be very isolating and depressing... hang in there

    The problem with video poker/slots is the bonuses.  This gives us larger sums of money all at once and promotes the chasing.

    Video poker/slots players often talk about "brown outs"... not like black outs where you dont remember anything, but "brown outs" where it seems like everything was a blur and you were just watching yourself turn money into paper and feeding machines.

    The hard part about chasing is that it is not just about winning the money back, it is about trying to become "Even".  This means "even" with your life situation, your emotions, and fixing all of the problems your gambling has caused.

    If I was addicted to cocaine and began ruining my life with overusing the drug, there is at no time that I think that I could fix my emotional/money/life problems by doing more cocaine and in higher amounts...   Yet with gambling that is the belief.

    The feeling of compulsively wanting to chase gets better, but like all VP/VS players "patience is not your strong suit" so it will feel like forever as you are wanting to wake up one day and it is gone.

    I often recommend that people look at 9-12 months of not gambling as being the time needed to adequately heal...

    So people tell me 90 days and then go back to gambling because they felt better but were'nt healed.  Kinda like not finishing all of  your antibiotics because you feel better and then you get sick again.

    If you can't last that long on your own you may need some help.  Counseling/Therapy can be expensive and majority of therapist have no clue when it comes to gambling.

    GA might be helpful for some (usually not people who don't tolerate waiting and boredom well)

    But the help you really need when it is bad is someone managing your money or creating barriers to your money...  But that is for another post talking about this process...  hopefully it will not have to come to that...



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TFF:

    Thanks DL

    I struggled with this in my early twenties, and now it's back.  I have no idea what happened.  It's just a blur, in three months, I'm down 3 grand.  I can't let it go, but I will try.  I have no idea what came over me, I have this sick and anxious feeling of wanting that money back.  I have never been this upset over it.  I guess you are saying that the sooner you "forget" about it, the better.  It's very hard to forget, I needed that money, that's two months of work.  I just don't understand.  I know it's bad, but I keep going back.  I posted here so I can get some other opinions.  I have a hard time telling the family about this.



    This can be very isolating and depressing... hang in there

    The problem with video poker/slots is the bonuses.  This gives us larger sums of money all at once and promotes the chasing.

    Video poker/slots players often talk about "brown outs"... not like black outs where you dont remember anything, but "brown outs" where it seems like everything was a blur and you were just watching yourself turn money into paper and feeding machines.

    The hard part about chasing is that it is not just about winning the money back, it is about trying to become "Even".  This means "even" with your life situation, your emotions, and fixing all of the problems your gambling has caused.

    If I was addicted to cocaine and began ruining my life with overusing the drug, there is at no time that I think that I could fix my emotional/money/life problems by doing more cocaine and in higher amounts...   Yet with gambling that is the belief.

    The feeling of compulsively wanting to chase gets better, but like all VP/VS players "patience is not your strong suit" so it will feel like forever as you are wanting to wake up one day and it is gone.

    I often recommend that people look at 9-12 months of not gambling as being the time needed to adequately heal...

    So people tell me 90 days and then go back to gambling because they felt better but were'nt healed.  Kinda like not finishing all of  your antibiotics because you feel better and then you get sick again.

    If you can't last that long on your own you may need some help.  Counseling/Therapy can be expensive and majority of therapist have no clue when it comes to gambling.

    GA might be helpful for some (usually not people who don't tolerate waiting and boredom well)

    But the help you really need when it is bad is someone managing your money or creating barriers to your money...  But that is for another post talking about this process...  hopefully it will not have to come to that...



     
    Madden
    Madden
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 2:44 PM ET #22

    Serious answer:

    Only someone that doesn't understand math would get "hooked" on slots or video poker.

    You have a negative expectation of profits with each and every spin/deal. There is no chance you can make money without pure luck. You'd be just as well off blinding picking sporting events to put money on. (probably would be better off actually).

    Research how these games actually work and how much of a cut they take. If that doesn't make you want to quit your as dumb as a bag of hammers.


    Reply
    Serious answer:

    Only someone that doesn't understand math would get "hooked" on slots or video poker.

    You have a negative expectation of profits with each and every spin/deal. There is no chance you can make money without pure luck. You'd be just as well off blinding picking sporting events to put money on. (probably would be better off actually).

    Research how these games actually work and how much of a cut they take. If that doesn't make you want to quit your as dumb as a bag of hammers.


     
    Jarrett75
    Jarrett75
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 27902
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 5:45 PM ET #23

    I don't play slots or games of chance because odds of winning are so much lower. At least with sports you have a 50/50 chance. Although at times it seems like it's not even 50/50.
    Reply
    I don't play slots or games of chance because odds of winning are so much lower. At least with sports you have a 50/50 chance. Although at times it seems like it's not even 50/50.
     
    gold6185
    gold6185
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 1168
    Posted: Apr. 5, 2011 - 8:09 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by Madden:

    Serious answer:

    Only someone that doesn't understand math would get "hooked" on slots or video poker.

    You have a negative expectation of profits with each and every spin/deal. There is no chance you can make money without pure luck. You'd be just as well off blinding picking sporting events to put money on. (probably would be better off actually).

    Research how these games actually work and how much of a cut they take. If that doesn't make you want to quit your as dumb as a bag of hammers.


    100% correct. If you walk down a dark alley & someone hits you over the head & robs you-are you gonna walk down that same alley again???? You have NO chance of getting your money back in the long run. Slots & video poker are games with a negative expectation-so stop banging your head against the wall & grow up.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Madden:

    Serious answer:

    Only someone that doesn't understand math would get "hooked" on slots or video poker.

    You have a negative expectation of profits with each and every spin/deal. There is no chance you can make money without pure luck. You'd be just as well off blinding picking sporting events to put money on. (probably would be better off actually).

    Research how these games actually work and how much of a cut they take. If that doesn't make you want to quit your as dumb as a bag of hammers.


    100% correct. If you walk down a dark alley & someone hits you over the head & robs you-are you gonna walk down that same alley again???? You have NO chance of getting your money back in the long run. Slots & video poker are games with a negative expectation-so stop banging your head against the wall & grow up.
     
     
    dennishopson
    dennishopson
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 19119
    Posted: Apr. 6, 2011 - 6:02 AM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett75:

    I don't play slots or games of chance because odds of winning are so much lower. At least with sports you have a 50/50 chance. Although at times it seems like it's not even 50/50.


    I agree.....Hell, don't even look at whose pitching and flip a coin on 5 totals over in the AL, and you stand a way better chance at coming out plus a unit......

    No, I would never not study the shit out of any/all Baseball games before putting my cash on them,

    ........but like Jarrett said, sometimes might as well do the coin flip the way things can go for ya......
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett75:

    I don't play slots or games of chance because odds of winning are so much lower. At least with sports you have a 50/50 chance. Although at times it seems like it's not even 50/50.


    I agree.....Hell, don't even look at whose pitching and flip a coin on 5 totals over in the AL, and you stand a way better chance at coming out plus a unit......

    No, I would never not study the shit out of any/all Baseball games before putting my cash on them,

    ........but like Jarrett said, sometimes might as well do the coin flip the way things can go for ya......
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,747
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,569
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 421
    • MLB Playoffs 15,678
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,064
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,356
    • Week 6 Money 5,343
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,212
    • Lies, Inaccuracies & Stupidity 31,331
    • HarDix's Big Bet................. 5,493

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.