New and improved forum search options. Check it out!

AFTER ALL, WE LIVE BETTER WITHOUT BETS?

Participants:
Views: 510

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

Hello guys, today April 18th 45 days without betting, I want to bring an important testimony to you.

I don't live in the USA and in my country we are having a more flexible quarantine at the moment and a very low case of deaths.

But I wanted to give a testimony about why I believe that we live better when we stop betting.

First, we must understand, that our brains were programmed by God to release Dopamine in 3 types of activities:

EATING, SEX AND SOCIALIZATION.

Quote Post Report User

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

These 3 things were meant to bring us a feeling of pleasure. But what do we gamblers and other addicts do?

They get out of control of this system, spending all their dopamine possible on games of chance!

What is the effect of this? Usually, one does not feel so much pleasure in social activities anymore.

I remember last year, in the middle of the NFL season, on a Sunday.

I was fishing with friends and family and couldn't wait to get home soon, to be alone and bet. There was nothing more pleasant than that.

So, this is not a normal thing to happen, probably if it were not included in the bets, I would have felt more pleasure in that fishing.

And I realized that now that the games have stopped.

45 days later, practically "Detoxified", I realized that my life became much happier. I didn't exchange bets for another addiction, like video games or cell phones.

I have avoided these "false pleasures" a lot and my life has improved a lot!

I have felt more pleasure in socializing, my projects in real life have become clearer, I have more pleasure in achieving goals in real life.

With each day that goes by without betting, I have more courage to live life and make society in a better place.

So guys, I believe that many will not be able to do the experiment I did, replacing bets with socialization. I believe that many traded for the video game and will return to bet when the games return.

But if you ever get the chance, do it! The sports themselves were made by fans in some way to socialize, this is not what is happening today, thanks to the addiction to technology.

And this has consequences that I already mentioned in the text.

Exchange bets for Socialization.

If you have an ADRENALINE addiction, switch bets to practice sports and competitiveness.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

thank you for sharing.  good stuff!  :) 

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

I was just wondering is anybody else like me I’ve got a little extra money since they’ve canceled all major sporting events? 

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark:

I was just wondering is anybody else like me I’ve got a little extra money since they’ve canceled all major sporting events?

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

I agree with a lot of what you're saying in this post GriLo, wondering if stocks, investments, things of that sort land in that "false pleasures" category. I myself have filled that void with investments it gives me more of long term goal set while giving me something to root for, if that makes sense.

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

It is not a question of "we".  Some people can enjoy gambling responsibly and others can't.  You wouldn't say "we" should all stop drinking because of a few alcoholics.

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

It is not a question of "we".  Some people can enjoy gambling responsibly and others can't.  You wouldn't say "we" should all stop drinking because of a few alcoholics.

What would it be to bet responsibly, in your opinion? Because every time I hear this my emotional whispers in my ear "Go, try to bet responsibly, it can work". I don't particularly consider myself a compulsive gambler, because I never got into debt or spent all my money on gambling. He always spent what was left. What I lost in the bets until today, would not make much difference in my life. What I wanted to bring up is that there is no responsibility. 99% start betting little and end up betting a lot. Few people will be able to place 2 to 3 bets per weekend with low stake. This will make those who are betting feel no pleasure, because to feel more and more pleasure in the bets it is necessary to increase the amount of bets or stake. Anyway, I really wanted to know what you understand as responsible gambling without it harming your life in any way. Hence the question of the topic. "Do we live better without betting?" In my opinion, YES! everyone lives better if they didn't bet

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

"What would it be to bet responsibly, in your opinion?"

It may not be easy to define, but it is easy to recognize when you see it.  Same as drinking, smoking weed, and everything else.

I had a problem with weed for a long time.  I quit that a few years ago.  A lot of people can have a bag of weed and smoke a little once a week.  If I had weed, I was smoking it until it was gone.  I am not going to tell other people they shouldn't smoke weed because of my addiction.

I can have a six-pack of beer in my fridge for 3 months.  I can go without putting in a sports bet for 6 months, no problem.  When I do put a bet in or drink I beer, I still enjoy it.  If I lose the bet, I don't get mad or chase my loss...

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

Sports betting is a natural high and when you win you want more

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #11

Rob Manfred and every commissioner should be fired if even one athlete dies from coronavirus after they bring sports back

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #12

Quote Originally Posted by FredLeonard:

Rob Manfred and every commissioner should be fired if even one athlete dies from coronavirus after they bring sports back
Dumb. The players all have unions and will have to agree to come back; the commissioners and owners can't require them to come back. 

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #13

Quote Originally Posted by FredLeonard:

Sports betting is a natural high and when you win you want more

The problem is..... that unless you possess the demonstrated and consistent skill to win at sports betting ,

as well as the discipline to only wager when you have a legitimate edge , you will lose over the long run.

Which means that those who bet without skill and discipline at sportsbetting , the resources that you use to wager ,

are feeding your bookmaker , and not your family.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #14

Quote Originally Posted by CFBbettor:

Quote Originally Posted by FredLeonard: Sports betting is a natural high and when you win you want more   The problem is..... that unless you possess the demonstrated and consistent skill to win at sports betting , as well as the discipline to only wager when you have a legitimate edge , you will lose over the long run. Which means that those who bet without skill and discipline at sportsbetting , the resources that you use to wager , are feeding your bookmaker , and not your family.

You can apply that thought process to every aspect of your life though to an extent. Gambling can be fun, as can drinking, partying, whatever... Money you spend to entertain yourself pays someone else's bills.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #15

+1peace_5

Quote Originally Posted by CFBbettor:

Quote Originally Posted by FredLeonard: Sports betting is a natural high and when you win you want more   The problem is..... that unless you possess the demonstrated and consistent skill to win at sports betting , as well as the discipline to only wager when you have a legitimate edge , you will lose over the long run. Which means that those who bet without skill and discipline at sportsbetting , the resources that you use to wager , are feeding your bookmaker , and not your family.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #16

Speak for yourself. I'm a winning capper. I've bet on football every year since 4th grade, college football every year since 8th grade. I'll miss it deeply in more ways than one if it's canceled. I'll miss the extra money. I'll miss the process.

Get the best sports betting information delivered straight to your inbox for free.
Covers 25 Years Logo Established in 1995,
Covers is the world
leader in sports
betting information.
Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GDPR Logo Evalon Logo Evalon Logo