• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Mixed Martial Arts

    my dog & prop picks

    whitebelt
    Ferrari29
    sharpstick
    --phillyfan--
    Smitty92
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 959
    Posts: 20
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 3:43 PM ET #1

    This is a tough card overall for betting purposes, most notably in the main event. If you've read my picks before, you know I love prop bets and underdogs. Here are a few I like on this tough card.

    Dustin Poirier wins inside distance +261 (4/5 confidence)

    Poirier has won 5 of his last 6 with 4 coming by KO/TKO, with the lone loss in that span coming to Conor McGregor. Joe Duffy is has looked very sharp ins his first 2 UFC fights. I'm taking Poirier because he has a strong recent trend and Joe Duffy (despite beating McGregor 5 years ago) has only beaten 2 bums in the UFC. Poirier also has superior submission skills.

    Joe Soto inside distance +433 (2/5 confidence)

    I know you're thinking "but Whitebelt, this guy has gotten destroyed since coming to the UFC" and that may be a true statement, but let's point out the silver linings. He's a former Bellator champ. He took a fight against Champ TJ Dillashaw on 1 day notice & lasted until round 5. He won 6 straight before losing first 2 in the UFC. His opponent Michinori Tanaka 10-1 is a Judo black belt and is 1-1 in UFC, both by decision. Joe Soto likely won't win this fight in a decision, as Tanaka is very good at taking guys to the ground and controlling them. Joe Sota is a BJJ brown belt and may be able to survive on the ground, but really wants to keep this fight standing. Tanaka doesn't have any impressive wins, mostly against weak Japanese competition.

    Alex Morono inside distance +506 (3/5 confidence)

    Morono is making his UFC debut on only 10 days notice, but I like him to upset Noke here. I love betting young dogs against old favorites, and this is a great example. Noke is 35 and while has won 2 straight, he has only won 3 of his last 6 and that includes losses to Ed Herman, Andrew Craig, and Patrick Cote. Morono is a black belt in both BJJ and Taekwondo, and he won his last 5 by finish, with 4 in the first round. The short notice may not hurt him as much as it would many, as he last fought December 4th.

    McDonald wins by TKO/KO -104 (4/5 confidence)

    I almost never pick a fighter to win after a 2 year layoff, but Michael McDonald will knock out Kanehara. This is a near certainty. McDonald finished 14 of his 16 wins, while Kanehara is a 33 year old with a 25-12 record, mostly against mediocre Japanese competition. Bet McDonald with confidence, despite the ring rust.

    Trujillo wins inside distance +255 (3/5 confidence)

    This is a closer fight, but I'll lean Trujillo due to the price. Tony Sims hasn't been knocked out, and that may not change in this fight. Trujillo has taken his losses to tougher opponents than Sims has earned his wins, having only beat "Creepy Steve" in the UFC. I think Trujhillo has more power and ferocity, and I'll take him to win by KO.

    Brian Ortega to win -181 (2/5 confidence)

    I absolutely love the Gracie black belt Brian Ortega. I've profited nicely in his first 2 UFC fights, though this will be his most difficult test. I think Brandao holds an advantage on the feet, but I expect Ortega has been working on his striking game heavily. On the ground, while Brandao is a very good grappler, Brian Ortega is unmatched by anyone in the UFC. He can literally win a fight off his back with competent judges. His last fight was one of those fights until he took it out of the judges' hands and ended up getting a TKO win by ground & pound. I can see Ortega getting the win by finish, but it's safer to take him straight.


    Andrei Arlovski to win +196 (Confidence 4/5)
    Andrei Arlovski by KO/TKO +434 (Confidence 3/5)


    I will pick Arlovski to win both straight up & by KO, mostly due to price. He's won 6 straight while Stipe has 4 wins in his last 6. Both guys have tremendous knock out power, but Arlovski has the edge. Stipe has the wrestling edge, but Arlovski has excellent takedown defense (85%). For almost 2:1 I love Arlovski straight, and I think Arlovski by KO/TKO at +434 presents terrific value.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    This is a tough card overall for betting purposes, most notably in the main event. If you've read my picks before, you know I love prop bets and underdogs. Here are a few I like on this tough card.

    Dustin Poirier wins inside distance +261 (4/5 confidence)

    Poirier has won 5 of his last 6 with 4 coming by KO/TKO, with the lone loss in that span coming to Conor McGregor. Joe Duffy is has looked very sharp ins his first 2 UFC fights. I'm taking Poirier because he has a strong recent trend and Joe Duffy (despite beating McGregor 5 years ago) has only beaten 2 bums in the UFC. Poirier also has superior submission skills.

    Joe Soto inside distance +433 (2/5 confidence)

    I know you're thinking "but Whitebelt, this guy has gotten destroyed since coming to the UFC" and that may be a true statement, but let's point out the silver linings. He's a former Bellator champ. He took a fight against Champ TJ Dillashaw on 1 day notice & lasted until round 5. He won 6 straight before losing first 2 in the UFC. His opponent Michinori Tanaka 10-1 is a Judo black belt and is 1-1 in UFC, both by decision. Joe Soto likely won't win this fight in a decision, as Tanaka is very good at taking guys to the ground and controlling them. Joe Sota is a BJJ brown belt and may be able to survive on the ground, but really wants to keep this fight standing. Tanaka doesn't have any impressive wins, mostly against weak Japanese competition.

    Alex Morono inside distance +506 (3/5 confidence)

    Morono is making his UFC debut on only 10 days notice, but I like him to upset Noke here. I love betting young dogs against old favorites, and this is a great example. Noke is 35 and while has won 2 straight, he has only won 3 of his last 6 and that includes losses to Ed Herman, Andrew Craig, and Patrick Cote. Morono is a black belt in both BJJ and Taekwondo, and he won his last 5 by finish, with 4 in the first round. The short notice may not hurt him as much as it would many, as he last fought December 4th.

    McDonald wins by TKO/KO -104 (4/5 confidence)

    I almost never pick a fighter to win after a 2 year layoff, but Michael McDonald will knock out Kanehara. This is a near certainty. McDonald finished 14 of his 16 wins, while Kanehara is a 33 year old with a 25-12 record, mostly against mediocre Japanese competition. Bet McDonald with confidence, despite the ring rust.

    Trujillo wins inside distance +255 (3/5 confidence)

    This is a closer fight, but I'll lean Trujillo due to the price. Tony Sims hasn't been knocked out, and that may not change in this fight. Trujillo has taken his losses to tougher opponents than Sims has earned his wins, having only beat "Creepy Steve" in the UFC. I think Trujhillo has more power and ferocity, and I'll take him to win by KO.

    Brian Ortega to win -181 (2/5 confidence)

    I absolutely love the Gracie black belt Brian Ortega. I've profited nicely in his first 2 UFC fights, though this will be his most difficult test. I think Brandao holds an advantage on the feet, but I expect Ortega has been working on his striking game heavily. On the ground, while Brandao is a very good grappler, Brian Ortega is unmatched by anyone in the UFC. He can literally win a fight off his back with competent judges. His last fight was one of those fights until he took it out of the judges' hands and ended up getting a TKO win by ground & pound. I can see Ortega getting the win by finish, but it's safer to take him straight.


    Andrei Arlovski to win +196 (Confidence 4/5)
    Andrei Arlovski by KO/TKO +434 (Confidence 3/5)


    I will pick Arlovski to win both straight up & by KO, mostly due to price. He's won 6 straight while Stipe has 4 wins in his last 6. Both guys have tremendous knock out power, but Arlovski has the edge. Stipe has the wrestling edge, but Arlovski has excellent takedown defense (85%). For almost 2:1 I love Arlovski straight, and I think Arlovski by KO/TKO at +434 presents terrific value.
     
    Ferrari29
    Ferrari29
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2014
    Posts: 3106
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 3:46 PM ET #2

    Welcome back Whitebelt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Reply
    Welcome back Whitebelt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 3:50 PM ET #3

    Thanks Ferrari. I've been gone a few months, haven't had time to write anything. My wife got appendicitis a few months back & I had to become Mr. Mom around the house for a while. Then with football season in full swing, my time has been super limited. Glad I wasn't forgotten though
    Reply
    Thanks Ferrari. I've been gone a few months, haven't had time to write anything. My wife got appendicitis a few months back & I had to become Mr. Mom around the house for a while. Then with football season in full swing, my time has been super limited. Glad I wasn't forgotten though
     
    sharpstick
    sharpstick
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 8525
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 4:00 PM ET #4

    How can anyone take a person seriously, when said person types "Brian Ortega is unmatched by anyone in the UFC?"

    I know you're trying to convince people that your picks are the right side, but I don't believe that you believed that when you typed it.  
    Reply
    How can anyone take a person seriously, when said person types "Brian Ortega is unmatched by anyone in the UFC?"

    I know you're trying to convince people that your picks are the right side, but I don't believe that you believed that when you typed it.  
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 4:11 PM ET #5

    I meant in terms of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That entire sentence is about ground game. And out of curiousity? Who do you think has better BJJ than Ortega? He might as well change his name to Brian Gracie.
    Reply
    I meant in terms of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That entire sentence is about ground game. And out of curiousity? Who do you think has better BJJ than Ortega? He might as well change his name to Brian Gracie.
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 4:12 PM ET #6

    If you're going to quote me, please quote my complete sentences.
    Reply
    If you're going to quote me, please quote my complete sentences.
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 7:45 PM ET #7

    I was fairly accurate with my assessment of the Joe Soto fight but he could not finish the deal, though I do feel incompetent (but completely standard) judging cost him a decision. I did say he wouldn't win any decisions, but he nearly finished 3 subs and IMO had points 30-26. I thought he was going to finish each of those subs.I busted 3 parlays for $30 on the first pick with Soto. Let's see how the rest of the night goes!
    Reply
    I was fairly accurate with my assessment of the Joe Soto fight but he could not finish the deal, though I do feel incompetent (but completely standard) judging cost him a decision. I did say he wouldn't win any decisions, but he nearly finished 3 subs and IMO had points 30-26. I thought he was going to finish each of those subs.I busted 3 parlays for $30 on the first pick with Soto. Let's see how the rest of the night goes!
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 7:59 PM ET #8

    Dustin Poirier & Joe Duffy just put themselves in FOTN contention, though there will be plenty of fierce competition in that area on the main card. I'm stunned this fight went the distance, but that's simply due to two incredibly tough and fierce fighters. I bet Poirier straight, though lost my sub/KO props. I have 2 live parlays with Poirier straight as well. Like Rogan said, his move from 145 to 155 is great. He is ranked #12 at Lightweight & I want to see Poirier fight a top 155-er -- specifically Tony Ferguson #5 or Nate Diaz #8 (though Diaz just destroyed #6 Michael Johnson).

    I don't know why so many backed Duffy. This fight should have been -110 for each fighter, but Duffy as heavy favorite was a bad play. Cheers Poirier backers, let's see how the rest of the night goes!
    Reply
    Dustin Poirier & Joe Duffy just put themselves in FOTN contention, though there will be plenty of fierce competition in that area on the main card. I'm stunned this fight went the distance, but that's simply due to two incredibly tough and fierce fighters. I bet Poirier straight, though lost my sub/KO props. I have 2 live parlays with Poirier straight as well. Like Rogan said, his move from 145 to 155 is great. He is ranked #12 at Lightweight & I want to see Poirier fight a top 155-er -- specifically Tony Ferguson #5 or Nate Diaz #8 (though Diaz just destroyed #6 Michael Johnson).

    I don't know why so many backed Duffy. This fight should have been -110 for each fighter, but Duffy as heavy favorite was a bad play. Cheers Poirier backers, let's see how the rest of the night goes!
     
    --phillyfan--
    --phillyfan--
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 14766
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 8:26 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebelt:

    I meant in terms of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That entire sentence is about ground game. And out of curiousity?
    Who do you think has better BJJ than Ortega? He might as well change his name to Brian Gracie.

    i was gonna say the same thing as Sharpstick... Ortega is a great BJJ artist but theres so many guys that have credentials better then him Whitebelt..  

    Lets see... How about Werdum & Jacare to start.. 

    Then i'll go with Maia, Gunnar Nelson & Sergio Moraes

    then theres so many guys that are grouped together in my opinion like Rani Yaya/Braga-Neto/Leites/Shields & Gilbert Burns. 

    Did Ortega Medal in any IBJJF PAN AMS Like Nelson and Neto ? 

    Theres probably so many more im forgetting but imo Werdum, Souza, Maia are top of the heap in terms of BJJ. Sergio is also top level and also Leonardo Santos is a Multiple time BJJ World Champ
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebelt:

    I meant in terms of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That entire sentence is about ground game. And out of curiousity?
    Who do you think has better BJJ than Ortega? He might as well change his name to Brian Gracie.

    i was gonna say the same thing as Sharpstick... Ortega is a great BJJ artist but theres so many guys that have credentials better then him Whitebelt..  

    Lets see... How about Werdum & Jacare to start.. 

    Then i'll go with Maia, Gunnar Nelson & Sergio Moraes

    then theres so many guys that are grouped together in my opinion like Rani Yaya/Braga-Neto/Leites/Shields & Gilbert Burns. 

    Did Ortega Medal in any IBJJF PAN AMS Like Nelson and Neto ? 

    Theres probably so many more im forgetting but imo Werdum, Souza, Maia are top of the heap in terms of BJJ. Sergio is also top level and also Leonardo Santos is a Multiple time BJJ World Champ
     
    --phillyfan--
    --phillyfan--
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 14766
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 8:38 PM ET #10

    Isnt Nate Diaz a Cezar Gracie Black as well as Jake Shields..

    I also know Alan Jouban has an Eddie Bravo Black Belt which is just as respected as any gracie black belt
    Reply
    Isnt Nate Diaz a Cezar Gracie Black as well as Jake Shields..

    I also know Alan Jouban has an Eddie Bravo Black Belt which is just as respected as any gracie black belt
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 8:41 PM ET #11

    phillyfan, thank you for your well thought response. Okay, I will come off the statement. I will still say he's in the same class of grappling as Werdum, Jacare & Maia. Brian Ortega medaled third place in 2007 IBJJF World No-Gi Championship.
    Reply
    phillyfan, thank you for your well thought response. Okay, I will come off the statement. I will still say he's in the same class of grappling as Werdum, Jacare & Maia. Brian Ortega medaled third place in 2007 IBJJF World No-Gi Championship.
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 8:46 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by --phillyfan--:

    Isnt Nate Diaz a Cezar Gracie Black as well as Jake Shields..

    I also know Alan Jouban has an Eddie Bravo Black Belt which is just as respected as any gracie black belt


    Alan Jouban is a brown belt under Eddie Bravo, but any 10th Planet brown belt is very legit. Both Diaz Brothers are black belts under Cesar Gracie I believe. But Ortega trains with Rener & Ryran Gracie and is one of the top instructors at Gracie Academy in Torrence. I hold these black belts in a slightly higher regard.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by --phillyfan--:

    Isnt Nate Diaz a Cezar Gracie Black as well as Jake Shields..

    I also know Alan Jouban has an Eddie Bravo Black Belt which is just as respected as any gracie black belt


    Alan Jouban is a brown belt under Eddie Bravo, but any 10th Planet brown belt is very legit. Both Diaz Brothers are black belts under Cesar Gracie I believe. But Ortega trains with Rener & Ryran Gracie and is one of the top instructors at Gracie Academy in Torrence. I hold these black belts in a slightly higher regard.
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 10:48 PM ET #13

    I'M BACK ON MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT. Best BJJ in the UFC and he just proved it. I bet Ortega to win straight, win inside distance, and win in round 3. Wooh!
    Reply
    I'M BACK ON MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT. Best BJJ in the UFC and he just proved it. I bet Ortega to win straight, win inside distance, and win in round 3. Wooh!
     
    Smitty92
    Smitty92
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2014
    Posts: 626
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 10:50 PM ET #14

    Nice call on Ortega. Very good Bjj
    Reply
    Nice call on Ortega. Very good Bjj
     
    Ferrari29
    Ferrari29
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2014
    Posts: 3106
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 10:51 PM ET #15

    Nice call on Ortega!!!
    Reply
    Nice call on Ortega!!!
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 10:55 PM ET #16

    thanks guys. i've been a fan of his going back to RFA and RITC. i believe he will be top 5 at 145 within 3 fights. this was his toughest test, a powerful striker with good bjj of his own, and he showed he has what it takes.
    Reply
    thanks guys. i've been a fan of his going back to RFA and RITC. i believe he will be top 5 at 145 within 3 fights. this was his toughest test, a powerful striker with good bjj of his own, and he showed he has what it takes.
     
    whitebelt
    whitebelt
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2015
    Posts: 472
    Posted: Jan. 2, 2016 - 10:57 PM ET #17

    I structured my parlays all wrong... I have 3 parlays with Arlovski straight up to cap off. Those 3 have $60 total risk to profit $1,905.40 and also have 1 to cap off with Tumenov by TKO/KO at $25 to profit $361.75 --- wish me luck!
    Reply
    I structured my parlays all wrong... I have 3 parlays with Arlovski straight up to cap off. Those 3 have $60 total risk to profit $1,905.40 and also have 1 to cap off with Tumenov by TKO/KO at $25 to profit $361.75 --- wish me luck!
     
    Redwing41
    Redwing41
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2015
    Posts: 74
    Posted: Jan. 3, 2016 - 2:02 AM ET #18

    ortega will lose to a good bjj defender, TALENTED striker and good takedown defence (by decision, very good chin). Nearly lost today. More fighters see him fight they will work hard on bjj defence and prevent the fight to go to the floor. Not a sure bet against ortega in this situation as he has some standup but nasty ground game. hedging for submission is the bet.

    Reply
    ortega will lose to a good bjj defender, TALENTED striker and good takedown defence (by decision, very good chin). Nearly lost today. More fighters see him fight they will work hard on bjj defence and prevent the fight to go to the floor. Not a sure bet against ortega in this situation as he has some standup but nasty ground game. hedging for submission is the bet.

     
    Redwing41
    Redwing41
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2015
    Posts: 74
    Posted: Jan. 3, 2016 - 2:17 AM ET #19

    If ortegas standup and takedown defence improve, it would be best to avoid him. 
    Reply
    If ortegas standup and takedown defence improve, it would be best to avoid him. 
     
     
    ParlayJoe17
    ParlayJoe17
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2014
    Posts: 272
    Posted: Jan. 3, 2016 - 2:35 AM ET #20

    Maia is the best bjj guy hands down in my opinion - just my opinion.  Ortega's submission was a thing a beauty and undoubtedly he has high level skills.  Personally, I don't see Ortega becoming a champion due to his so-so striking, average athleticism, and lack of offensive wresting.  A high level striker with good defensive wrestiling will give him trouble.
    Reply
    Maia is the best bjj guy hands down in my opinion - just my opinion.  Ortega's submission was a thing a beauty and undoubtedly he has high level skills.  Personally, I don't see Ortega becoming a champion due to his so-so striking, average athleticism, and lack of offensive wresting.  A high level striker with good defensive wrestiling will give him trouble.
    All Forums | Mixed Martial Arts

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 455,260
    • Wednesday 09/30/2026 636
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,437
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 10,611
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,190
    • PHILLY/ATL live in game comments welcome 614
    • PART DEUX 113
    • Trump's legacy? 32,958
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,110
    • Trump lies so much. 22,895

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.