• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    If you own any Bitcoin - August 1 is a critical date for you. Important read.....

    12 Next Last»
    vanzack
    searchwarrant
    BURG2VEGAS
    Slobbasaurus
    ClubDirt
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3752
    Posts: 26
    12 Next Last»
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 14, 2017 - 7:12 PM ET #1

    August 1 is a critical day for Bitcoin, and if you own any you should be aware.

    Something called a "hard fork" is likely coming on Aug 1.  From what I understand, it is like a stock split - you will end up with 2 coins for every 1 coin you have now, but the value should remain equal.  From then on, there will basically be two types of bitcoin forever and they will essentially be their own currencies.

    This is all due to slow transaction times and high transaction fees.  This will apparently solve those issues.

    Everything I have seen and read suggests that you get your money out of all exchanges on to private wallets at least a week before Aug 1.  This means any wallet where you hold the private keys (the 24 word passphrase).

    I am not a bitcoin expert.  Please google Bitcoin hardfork and watch some videos or do your own research.   I am just pointing out that if you own BTC - you need to be aware of this and August 1 is coming fast....

    GL


    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    August 1 is a critical day for Bitcoin, and if you own any you should be aware.

    Something called a "hard fork" is likely coming on Aug 1.  From what I understand, it is like a stock split - you will end up with 2 coins for every 1 coin you have now, but the value should remain equal.  From then on, there will basically be two types of bitcoin forever and they will essentially be their own currencies.

    This is all due to slow transaction times and high transaction fees.  This will apparently solve those issues.

    Everything I have seen and read suggests that you get your money out of all exchanges on to private wallets at least a week before Aug 1.  This means any wallet where you hold the private keys (the 24 word passphrase).

    I am not a bitcoin expert.  Please google Bitcoin hardfork and watch some videos or do your own research.   I am just pointing out that if you own BTC - you need to be aware of this and August 1 is coming fast....

    GL


     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 14, 2017 - 7:13 PM ET #2

    And please post any expertise for the community here.  I would love to learn more about this and it would help everyone here.
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    And please post any expertise for the community here.  I would love to learn more about this and it would help everyone here.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 14, 2017 - 7:15 PM ET #3

    Google terms:  segwit, soft fork, hard fork
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Google terms:  segwit, soft fork, hard fork
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:02 AM ET #4

    ETH played the hard fork blockchain in 2016 and investors didn't respond well at all. BC is flirting with it but it's not 100% on the table. Both are reacting now ahead of the news. 
    I'm holding long on eth but careful if you're in at a high cost basis. The glide path imo might be scary for both but post Aug 1st there could be a strong breakout...I hope. 

    Reply
    ETH played the hard fork blockchain in 2016 and investors didn't respond well at all. BC is flirting with it but it's not 100% on the table. Both are reacting now ahead of the news. 
    I'm holding long on eth but careful if you're in at a high cost basis. The glide path imo might be scary for both but post Aug 1st there could be a strong breakout...I hope. 

     
    BURG2VEGAS
    BURG2VEGAS
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 5105
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 8:36 AM ET #5

    So I read not recommended to have money on exchanges and they can and will probably stop deposits and withdrawals for 2 3 days I no longer use exchanges I use bitcoin aims with a blockchain wallet . my thing is will the value of coin or us dollar change when this happens as to money still at books whether its a bitcoin book like nitrogensports or sbg,5d ,etc..I can see the books bullshitting too I already have had trouble with all of them on timing of deposits and withdrawals I can foresee a nightmare coming but hope not as vanzak said anyone with info or education in this matter please post
    Reply
    So I read not recommended to have money on exchanges and they can and will probably stop deposits and withdrawals for 2 3 days I no longer use exchanges I use bitcoin aims with a blockchain wallet . my thing is will the value of coin or us dollar change when this happens as to money still at books whether its a bitcoin book like nitrogensports or sbg,5d ,etc..I can see the books bullshitting too I already have had trouble with all of them on timing of deposits and withdrawals I can foresee a nightmare coming but hope not as vanzak said anyone with info or education in this matter please post
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:27 PM ET #6

    One thing that seems to be unanimous:

    Take possession of all BTC you have in your own controlled wallet.

    Dont leave money on Nitrogen or any other BTC SB during the week before or week after.  And dont have it in Coinbase or another exchange.


    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    One thing that seems to be unanimous:

    Take possession of all BTC you have in your own controlled wallet.

    Dont leave money on Nitrogen or any other BTC SB during the week before or week after.  And dont have it in Coinbase or another exchange.


     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:29 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    ETH played the hard fork blockchain in 2016 and investors didn't respond well at all. BC is flirting with it but it's not 100% on the table. Both are reacting now ahead of the news. 
    I'm holding long on eth but careful if you're in at a high cost basis. The glide path imo might be scary for both but post Aug 1st there could be a strong breakout...I hope. 


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    ETH played the hard fork blockchain in 2016 and investors didn't respond well at all. BC is flirting with it but it's not 100% on the table. Both are reacting now ahead of the news. 
    I'm holding long on eth but careful if you're in at a high cost basis. The glide path imo might be scary for both but post Aug 1st there could be a strong breakout...I hope. 


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?

     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:34 PM ET #8

    The volatility of these cryptic currencies would make me feel uneasy about a large, serious investment.  

    Personally, I feel more comfortable with previous metals and mining stocks.  

    Just my 2 cents.  
    Reply
    The volatility of these cryptic currencies would make me feel uneasy about a large, serious investment.  

    Personally, I feel more comfortable with previous metals and mining stocks.  

    Just my 2 cents.  
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:58 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?




    Yes it did bounce quickly and I agree with you on the price already factored in. I'm optimistic that after or on Aug 1st we may see some pretty significant upside for eth and Bc. Hang in there. The tree is shaking a little but hopefully we'll be rewarded. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?




    Yes it did bounce quickly and I agree with you on the price already factored in. I'm optimistic that after or on Aug 1st we may see some pretty significant upside for eth and Bc. Hang in there. The tree is shaking a little but hopefully we'll be rewarded. 
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 3:58 PM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?



    my original thought, like many, was to transfer some BTC profits to ETH.  that was when ETH was at 130 or so.  then it shot up into the 300's and i decided against it.  now, it looks like it's going back down.  i'm not doing anything for now other than taking money out of fairlay.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    I think in the end Ethereum pretty quickly bounced back right?

    My thinking is the classic "public" situation with this BTC.  I have heard SO MANY people say that you should buy ETH now, and wait for BTC to drop and then buy back - that I am staying in BTC because I would bet that the price drop is already priced in.

    Thoughts?



    my original thought, like many, was to transfer some BTC profits to ETH.  that was when ETH was at 130 or so.  then it shot up into the 300's and i decided against it.  now, it looks like it's going back down.  i'm not doing anything for now other than taking money out of fairlay.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58428
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 4:11 PM ET #11

    Looks like from what I read the issue wont really cool off until the data is in on what percentage of miners/programmers use the different versions of that SegWit platform.

    So the Aug 1 date doesnt seem to be the end date and if I were in this position I would try to analyze what the true odds are of this split and why it might happen.

    If you can determine with a high degree of confidence that programmers will prefer one heavily vs the other and there is not a split off then yeah it should bounce, but what if the original is chosen and people do not feel confident in the security of that platform and do not want to risk theft and loss and decide to leave for good?

    I wouldnt want to own BTC if I thought the platform was ripe for theft and loss, that is what caused it to get smacked around and those exchanges to go under, I have to think that the new platform will be adopted because of the higher security and why it was needed in the first place.
    Reply
    Looks like from what I read the issue wont really cool off until the data is in on what percentage of miners/programmers use the different versions of that SegWit platform.

    So the Aug 1 date doesnt seem to be the end date and if I were in this position I would try to analyze what the true odds are of this split and why it might happen.

    If you can determine with a high degree of confidence that programmers will prefer one heavily vs the other and there is not a split off then yeah it should bounce, but what if the original is chosen and people do not feel confident in the security of that platform and do not want to risk theft and loss and decide to leave for good?

    I wouldnt want to own BTC if I thought the platform was ripe for theft and loss, that is what caused it to get smacked around and those exchanges to go under, I have to think that the new platform will be adopted because of the higher security and why it was needed in the first place.
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 4:45 PM ET #12

    honestly, i just bought a little because it gave me access to books that have better soccer live bets (which i just do for fun and to kill time when i'm bored).  and because depositing and withdrawing the old way is such a pain in the behind.  and then the price went through the roof. i still don't have a whole lot but it's getting to the point where i should pay more attention to what's going on. 
    Reply
    honestly, i just bought a little because it gave me access to books that have better soccer live bets (which i just do for fun and to kill time when i'm bored).  and because depositing and withdrawing the old way is such a pain in the behind.  and then the price went through the roof. i still don't have a whole lot but it's getting to the point where i should pay more attention to what's going on. 
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 15, 2017 - 4:56 PM ET #13

    https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-scaling-watch-news-guides-navigate-coming-clash-code/
    Reply
    https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-scaling-watch-news-guides-navigate-coming-clash-code/
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jul. 16, 2017 - 1:56 AM ET #14

    Hope you guys are watching your money live right now and through the night because the shorts and stops are pounding the chit out of us. 
    Massive capitulation. 

    Reply
    Hope you guys are watching your money live right now and through the night because the shorts and stops are pounding the chit out of us. 
    Massive capitulation. 

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2017 - 5:13 PM ET #15

    Alright - so today BTC price is skyrocketing.  Basically going from 2,200 to 2,700 in a few hours.

    This is because BIP91 is at 80%.

    I have no idea what this means, and cant understand it when I research.  I know this is an alternate solution to the BTC split, so why did it take so long to develop?

    Can anyone explain this in laymans terms?  Is Aug 1 now a non-factor?

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Alright - so today BTC price is skyrocketing.  Basically going from 2,200 to 2,700 in a few hours.

    This is because BIP91 is at 80%.

    I have no idea what this means, and cant understand it when I research.  I know this is an alternate solution to the BTC split, so why did it take so long to develop?

    Can anyone explain this in laymans terms?  Is Aug 1 now a non-factor?

     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58428
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2017 - 5:25 PM ET #16

    I think this explains it pretty well...but interesting I did not read previously that there was this BIP91 even as an option. It looks like developers came up with this as a solution other than the two given initially. It seems to lower costs which was a big deal?

    https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-breaks-2600-as-segwit-nearly-finalized-3000-in-sight
    Reply
    I think this explains it pretty well...but interesting I did not read previously that there was this BIP91 even as an option. It looks like developers came up with this as a solution other than the two given initially. It seems to lower costs which was a big deal?

    https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-breaks-2600-as-segwit-nearly-finalized-3000-in-sight
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2017 - 5:38 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    I think this explains it pretty well...but interesting I did not read previously that there was this BIP91 even as an option. It looks like developers came up with this as a solution other than the two given initially. It seems to lower costs which was a big deal?

    https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-breaks-2600-as-segwit-nearly-finalized-3000-in-sight

    Thanks Wall.  This is a pretty good description.  But I still have the same question - why did this take so long to come about?

    In contrast to user-activated soft fork, BIP 91 is a miner-activated soft fork, which will activate SegWit, a transaction malleability fix and scaling solution developed by the Bitcoin Core development team at an 80 percent activation threshold, as listed on the SegWit2x proposal.

    The 80 percent activation threshold was surpassed on July 18 with major mining pools including Antpool, BTCC and Bitfury signaling for the activation of BIP 91. At the time of reporting, hash rate signaling BIP 91 is at 83.3 percent and analysts including Squeeze have noted that BIP 91 could be fully locked in within the next few days.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    I think this explains it pretty well...but interesting I did not read previously that there was this BIP91 even as an option. It looks like developers came up with this as a solution other than the two given initially. It seems to lower costs which was a big deal?

    https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-breaks-2600-as-segwit-nearly-finalized-3000-in-sight

    Thanks Wall.  This is a pretty good description.  But I still have the same question - why did this take so long to come about?

    In contrast to user-activated soft fork, BIP 91 is a miner-activated soft fork, which will activate SegWit, a transaction malleability fix and scaling solution developed by the Bitcoin Core development team at an 80 percent activation threshold, as listed on the SegWit2x proposal.

    The 80 percent activation threshold was surpassed on July 18 with major mining pools including Antpool, BTCC and Bitfury signaling for the activation of BIP 91. At the time of reporting, hash rate signaling BIP 91 is at 83.3 percent and analysts including Squeeze have noted that BIP 91 could be fully locked in within the next few days.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2017 - 5:41 PM ET #18

    And as far as costs....  For me - and for gambling purposes - $.50 to $.90 per transaction is nothing.

    But for BTC actually becoming a currency that people use - that is impossibly high.  Buy a $4 cup of coffee with a 90 cent fee?  No way.

    I am surprised they think this is a solution to high fees.
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    And as far as costs....  For me - and for gambling purposes - $.50 to $.90 per transaction is nothing.

    But for BTC actually becoming a currency that people use - that is impossibly high.  Buy a $4 cup of coffee with a 90 cent fee?  No way.

    I am surprised they think this is a solution to high fees.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58428
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2017 - 9:11 PM ET #19

    My opinion is this came about at the last minute, meaning it was not previously anticipated and was developed recently.

    I am also not sure if this resolves to me what is the larger issue and that is security. Costs from that article said spiked a big ammt recently and seems to be a driving force since the bigger players likely get hit harder with transaction costs due to number of transactions...but for a person like you I dont think cost is such a big deal.

    I didnt see any reference to security and if that issue was resolved, rather than the threshold was met that 80% number, that seemed to be the key component. Maybe security wasnt the big thing, to me it seemed to be the biggest point but this made it seem to not as much be the case.
    Reply
    My opinion is this came about at the last minute, meaning it was not previously anticipated and was developed recently.

    I am also not sure if this resolves to me what is the larger issue and that is security. Costs from that article said spiked a big ammt recently and seems to be a driving force since the bigger players likely get hit harder with transaction costs due to number of transactions...but for a person like you I dont think cost is such a big deal.

    I didnt see any reference to security and if that issue was resolved, rather than the threshold was met that 80% number, that seemed to be the key component. Maybe security wasnt the big thing, to me it seemed to be the biggest point but this made it seem to not as much be the case.
     
    toddmc9136
    toddmc9136
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 787
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2017 - 11:04 PM ET #20

    Ok so I use coinbase and was going to make a withdrawal Monday with 5 dimes. What should I do ?
    Reply
    Ok so I use coinbase and was going to make a withdrawal Monday with 5 dimes. What should I do ?
     
    reppendayay
    reppendayay
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2006
    Posts: 3594
    Posted: Jul. 23, 2017 - 7:44 PM ET #21

    Just out of curiosity Vanzack, did you end of buying any more bitcoins or do you only have the original 3?
    Reply
    Just out of curiosity Vanzack, did you end of buying any more bitcoins or do you only have the original 3?
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2017 - 6:28 PM ET #22

    This thing is not over.

    I thought it was with this BIP91 thing, but please read this thread and educate yourself.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6p61be/psa_if_you_use_an_exchange_like_coinbase_move/
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    This thing is not over.

    I thought it was with this BIP91 thing, but please read this thread and educate yourself.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6p61be/psa_if_you_use_an_exchange_like_coinbase_move/
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 24, 2017 - 6:44 PM ET #23

    I have a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.

    I strongly recommend it, independent of this whole August 1st deal.

    But they have written a blog post which explains a lot of this, in pretty close to laymans terms.

    It is a good read.

    https://blog.ledger.co/securing-your-free-bitcoin-cash-stash-d50aff765688
    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    I have a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.

    I strongly recommend it, independent of this whole August 1st deal.

    But they have written a blog post which explains a lot of this, in pretty close to laymans terms.

    It is a good read.

    https://blog.ledger.co/securing-your-free-bitcoin-cash-stash-d50aff765688
     
    dimndimn
    dimndimn
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 5291
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2017 - 9:16 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I have a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.

    I strongly recommend it, independent of this whole August 1st deal.

    But they have written a blog post which explains a lot of this, in pretty close to laymans terms.

    It is a good read.

    https://blog.ledger.co/securing-your-free-bitcoin-cash-stash-d50aff765688

    Thanks for this 

    One thing to note further- BCC won't be the new aka for BitCoin Cash as it already exists for the BitConnectCoin.  Although it's traded insignificantly, duplicate naming conventions aren't allowed.  Not sure why people are running with BCC but it's going to land as something else.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I have a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.

    I strongly recommend it, independent of this whole August 1st deal.

    But they have written a blog post which explains a lot of this, in pretty close to laymans terms.

    It is a good read.

    https://blog.ledger.co/securing-your-free-bitcoin-cash-stash-d50aff765688

    Thanks for this 

    One thing to note further- BCC won't be the new aka for BitCoin Cash as it already exists for the BitConnectCoin.  Although it's traded insignificantly, duplicate naming conventions aren't allowed.  Not sure why people are running with BCC but it's going to land as something else.
     
     
    barneybeans
    barneybeans
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2003
    Posts: 9982
    Posted: Jul. 28, 2017 - 7:51 AM ET #25

    Dear Coinbase Customer,

    We wanted to provide an update on proposed changes to the Bitcoin network and what that means for bitcoin stored on Coinbase. You can read more about what a digital currency fork is https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1.

    Our first priority is the safety of customer funds. In the event of a fork, customer fiat currency (USD, EUR and GBP) and digital currencies (bitcoin, ether and litecoin) are safe.

    On August 1st, 2017 there is a proposal to make changes to the bitcoin software. This proposal, known as Bitcoin Cash, is likely to create a fork in the Bitcoin network. This means that after August 1st, 2017 there are likely to be two versions of the Bitcoin blockchain and two separate digital currencies.

    In the event of two separate blockchains after August 1, 2017 we will only support one version. We have no plans to support the Bitcoin Cash fork. We have made this decision because it is hard to predict how long the alternative version of bitcoin will survive and if Bitcoin Cash will have future market value.

    This means if there are two separate digital currencies – bitcoin (BTC) and bitcoin cash (BCC) – customers with Bitcoin stored on Coinbase will only have access to the current version of bitcoin we support (BTC). Customers will not have access to, or be able to withdraw, bitcoin cash (BCC).

    Customers who wish to access both bitcoin (BTC) and bitcoin cash (BCC) need to withdraw bitcoin stored on Coinbase before 11.59 pm PT July 31, 2017. If you do not wish to access bitcoin cash (BCC) then no action is required.

    We plan to temporarily suspend bitcoin buy / sells, deposits and withdrawals on August 1, 2017 as the fork is likely to cause disruption to the bitcoin network. This means your funds will be safe but you will be unable to access your bitcoin (BTC) for a short period of time.

    We will keep you updated on this event through our blog, status page and Twitter.

    Thank you,

    Coinbase Team
    The pen is mightier than the pigs
    Reply
    Dear Coinbase Customer,

    We wanted to provide an update on proposed changes to the Bitcoin network and what that means for bitcoin stored on Coinbase. You can read more about what a digital currency fork is https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1.

    Our first priority is the safety of customer funds. In the event of a fork, customer fiat currency (USD, EUR and GBP) and digital currencies (bitcoin, ether and litecoin) are safe.

    On August 1st, 2017 there is a proposal to make changes to the bitcoin software. This proposal, known as Bitcoin Cash, is likely to create a fork in the Bitcoin network. This means that after August 1st, 2017 there are likely to be two versions of the Bitcoin blockchain and two separate digital currencies.

    In the event of two separate blockchains after August 1, 2017 we will only support one version. We have no plans to support the Bitcoin Cash fork. We have made this decision because it is hard to predict how long the alternative version of bitcoin will survive and if Bitcoin Cash will have future market value.

    This means if there are two separate digital currencies – bitcoin (BTC) and bitcoin cash (BCC) – customers with Bitcoin stored on Coinbase will only have access to the current version of bitcoin we support (BTC). Customers will not have access to, or be able to withdraw, bitcoin cash (BCC).

    Customers who wish to access both bitcoin (BTC) and bitcoin cash (BCC) need to withdraw bitcoin stored on Coinbase before 11.59 pm PT July 31, 2017. If you do not wish to access bitcoin cash (BCC) then no action is required.

    We plan to temporarily suspend bitcoin buy / sells, deposits and withdrawals on August 1, 2017 as the fork is likely to cause disruption to the bitcoin network. This means your funds will be safe but you will be unable to access your bitcoin (BTC) for a short period of time.

    We will keep you updated on this event through our blog, status page and Twitter.

    Thank you,

    Coinbase Team
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,911
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,619
    • MLB Playoffs 16,999
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 446
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 308
    • PART DEUX 140
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,388
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,367
    • How low can Trump go ? 29,158
    • NFL WEEK 5 ........................2026 1,492

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.