• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    I drive Uber for fun

    12 Next Last»
    vanzack
    searchwarrant
    Hugh_Jorgan
    ClubDirt
    GimmeMoneyNow
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 5159
    Posts: 27
    12 Next Last»
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 12:06 AM ET #1

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 1:02 AM ET #2

    You have plenty of money. We get it.
    Like your purpose though.
    Reply
    You have plenty of money. We get it.
    Like your purpose though.
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 6:46 AM ET #3

    Van, my first reaction to your story was that's pretty cool.

    Then I thought to myself ... do I really want a bunch of strangers sitting in my car?
    I would have to disinfect the back seat thoroughly each time that I Ubered, and I mean thoroughly! I'm talking about Silkwood shower scene thorough! 
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Van, my first reaction to your story was that's pretty cool.

    Then I thought to myself ... do I really want a bunch of strangers sitting in my car?
    I would have to disinfect the back seat thoroughly each time that I Ubered, and I mean thoroughly! I'm talking about Silkwood shower scene thorough! 
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 9:47 AM ET #4

    i was going to say that i assume you use your second or third car for this project but by the sound of your second to last paragraph, i think i'm wrong.  that's interesting. 
    Reply
    i was going to say that i assume you use your second or third car for this project but by the sound of your second to last paragraph, i think i'm wrong.  that's interesting. 
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 10:13 AM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.


    Much like waiters and bartenders, you're not making a living off the base salary - it's the tips. I've only used Uber a couple of times, but I make sure to hand the guy at least 30% of what the ride costs in cash. I've yet to have a bad experience (like I've had with taxis in the past), but uber should allow you to tip on the same transaction - or have they changed that policy now? I don't know, because I haven't used it in a few months.

    But, if all your picking up is "drunk 20 somethings, grandmas, and working single mothers", then that explains the lack of tip money. But, sounds like you're having fun, so......

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.


    Much like waiters and bartenders, you're not making a living off the base salary - it's the tips. I've only used Uber a couple of times, but I make sure to hand the guy at least 30% of what the ride costs in cash. I've yet to have a bad experience (like I've had with taxis in the past), but uber should allow you to tip on the same transaction - or have they changed that policy now? I don't know, because I haven't used it in a few months.

    But, if all your picking up is "drunk 20 somethings, grandmas, and working single mothers", then that explains the lack of tip money. But, sounds like you're having fun, so......

     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 11:27 AM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.

    That last sentence sounds like an indictment of your entire life and the choices you have made. Are you feeling alright?

    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.

    That last sentence sounds like an indictment of your entire life and the choices you have made. Are you feeling alright?

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 4:40 PM ET #7


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.


    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.


     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 6:15 PM ET #8

     I have a special purpose.
    Reply
     I have a special purpose.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 7:14 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    You have plenty of money. We get it.
    Like your purpose though.

    I wasn't saying that I dont need the money - I was really saying there isnt much money in driving Uber unless you have a strategy (surges etc).  

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    You have plenty of money. We get it.
    Like your purpose though.

    I wasn't saying that I dont need the money - I was really saying there isnt much money in driving Uber unless you have a strategy (surges etc).  

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 7:17 PM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    Van, my first reaction to your story was that's pretty cool.

    Then I thought to myself ... do I really want a bunch of strangers sitting in my car?
    I would have to disinfect the back seat thoroughly each time that I Ubered, and I mean thoroughly! I'm talking about Silkwood shower scene thorough! 

    I do.  It really is a PITA too.  And the first time someone pukes in my car, all of my fun will end.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    Van, my first reaction to your story was that's pretty cool.

    Then I thought to myself ... do I really want a bunch of strangers sitting in my car?
    I would have to disinfect the back seat thoroughly each time that I Ubered, and I mean thoroughly! I'm talking about Silkwood shower scene thorough! 

    I do.  It really is a PITA too.  And the first time someone pukes in my car, all of my fun will end.

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 7:21 PM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

    i was going to say that i assume you use your second or third car for this project but by the sound of your second to last paragraph, i think i'm wrong.  that's interesting. 

    It is what you think it is.

    But posting here and actually saying it out loud makes me rethink my choices.  

    The interesting thing about being an Uber driver is you can quit any time you want, you can drive any time you want.  That is far and away the best reason to drive for Uber.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

    i was going to say that i assume you use your second or third car for this project but by the sound of your second to last paragraph, i think i'm wrong.  that's interesting. 

    It is what you think it is.

    But posting here and actually saying it out loud makes me rethink my choices.  

    The interesting thing about being an Uber driver is you can quit any time you want, you can drive any time you want.  That is far and away the best reason to drive for Uber.

     
    benhogan76
    benhogan76
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 63860
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 8:59 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.


    corperate fukks
    We should stop eating bananas.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.


    corperate fukks
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 11:12 PM ET #13

    You're just following in your idol HollywoodCG's footsteps....  next thing you know you'll be moving to Vegas to promote clubs and blowing through your life savings on BOMB plays!



    Reply
    You're just following in your idol HollywoodCG's footsteps....  next thing you know you'll be moving to Vegas to promote clubs and blowing through your life savings on BOMB plays!



     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Aug. 19, 2016 - 11:55 PM ET #14

    Kidding around Van. 

    Here in LA there are many and I use them a lot, or used to and have conversations en route to the airport.. All of them tell me that after expenses it's about 12 maybe 13 an hour. Most if not all of them just came in with the tide. 
    I'd do as you are doing around my area if I had an electric beer can vehicle. 4x4 is no bueno.
    Reply
    Kidding around Van. 

    Here in LA there are many and I use them a lot, or used to and have conversations en route to the airport.. All of them tell me that after expenses it's about 12 maybe 13 an hour. Most if not all of them just came in with the tide. 
    I'd do as you are doing around my area if I had an electric beer can vehicle. 4x4 is no bueno.
     
    1129ken
    1129ken
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 2674
    Posted: Aug. 20, 2016 - 12:41 AM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.



    Purpose is overrated, unless it involves the avoidance of projectile vomiting of regurgitated Philly cheese steak into your car and the back of your head.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Yes, its true.  It is like a reality show in your backseat.  Everyone that gets in wants to talk and tell you their whole life.  Where else could I talk to drunk 20 somethings, then drive a grandma to the grocery, and then a single mom to work.

    So once a month or so - when I am bored and have the time - I turn on my phone and start driving.  It usually provides great stories - inspiring, sad, and just funny.  A slice of life every time.

    The money side of Uber is really bad - it is almost like a payday loan scam.  They say you can make 15-20 an hour - which you do - but that is GROSS sales.  If you dont know the difference between gross and net sales you shouldnt be uber driving - you do have depreciation and expenses.

    But I am not worried about the money.  I figure I break about even.  I have a pretty cool car and when I pick people up they are shocked and surprised and thrilled.  I like that.

    My family thinks I am crazy.  I cant really argue.  This is what happens to aging sports bettors who have no life purpose.



    Purpose is overrated, unless it involves the avoidance of projectile vomiting of regurgitated Philly cheese steak into your car and the back of your head.
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Aug. 21, 2016 - 11:41 AM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    It is what you think it is.

    But posting here and actually saying it out loud makes me rethink my choices.  

    The interesting thing about being an Uber driver is you can quit any time you want, you can drive any time you want.  That is far and away the best reason to drive for Uber.

    weird Van...really weird...you must be bored out of your mind, with a lot of spare time on your hands..Uber? come on now. sounds like you're bustin' the forums balls

    Vanzak Uber

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:


    It is what you think it is.

    But posting here and actually saying it out loud makes me rethink my choices.  

    The interesting thing about being an Uber driver is you can quit any time you want, you can drive any time you want.  That is far and away the best reason to drive for Uber.

    weird Van...really weird...you must be bored out of your mind, with a lot of spare time on your hands..Uber? come on now. sounds like you're bustin' the forums balls

    Vanzak Uber

     
    steve1203
    steve1203
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 335
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2016 - 2:34 AM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.



    State Farm has this rider attachment you can add for uber or lyft.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.



    State Farm has this rider attachment you can add for uber or lyft.
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2016 - 9:47 AM ET #18

    I have yet to take an Uber but I like the concept.  Too bad it wasn't around when I used to drink in my early 20s.

    No joke, but I'm the only one among my siblings, cousins and close friends that don't have a DUI.

    I'm very fortunate too b/c I was stupid enough to put myself and others in danger by drinking and driving almost every weekend.  I want to smack my 20 year old self.  Such a selfish thing to do.  You live and you learn though.  
    Reply
    I have yet to take an Uber but I like the concept.  Too bad it wasn't around when I used to drink in my early 20s.

    No joke, but I'm the only one among my siblings, cousins and close friends that don't have a DUI.

    I'm very fortunate too b/c I was stupid enough to put myself and others in danger by drinking and driving almost every weekend.  I want to smack my 20 year old self.  Such a selfish thing to do.  You live and you learn though.  
     
    bigvern1013
    bigvern1013
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 3051
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2016 - 12:36 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    I have yet to take an Uber but I like the concept.  Too bad it wasn't around when I used to drink in my early 20s.

    No joke, but I'm the only one among my siblings, cousins and close friends that don't have a DUI.

    I'm very fortunate too b/c I was stupid enough to put myself and others in danger by drinking and driving almost every weekend.  I want to smack my 20 year old self.  Such a selfish thing to do.  You live and you learn though.  

    Ditto. My younger self needed an asss-kicking and a "come to Jesus "meeting in the worst way.

    I guess you have to be young and dumb to be old and wise. Unless you aren't afforded the luxury of old age because you were young and dumb.

    Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobbasaurus:

    I have yet to take an Uber but I like the concept.  Too bad it wasn't around when I used to drink in my early 20s.

    No joke, but I'm the only one among my siblings, cousins and close friends that don't have a DUI.

    I'm very fortunate too b/c I was stupid enough to put myself and others in danger by drinking and driving almost every weekend.  I want to smack my 20 year old self.  Such a selfish thing to do.  You live and you learn though.  

    Ditto. My younger self needed an asss-kicking and a "come to Jesus "meeting in the worst way.

    I guess you have to be young and dumb to be old and wise. Unless you aren't afforded the luxury of old age because you were young and dumb.

     
    t6rider
    t6rider
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 4483
    Posted: Aug. 22, 2016 - 12:49 PM ET #20

    A friend and I used it once coming home from his brother's bachelor party here in Vegas. I guess you just pay through the app with your credit/debit card, so no money actually exchanges hands. The dude was cool as garbage. it was only about a ten minute ride. I gave him a $10 bill when we got out. 
    Reply
    A friend and I used it once coming home from his brother's bachelor party here in Vegas. I guess you just pay through the app with your credit/debit card, so no money actually exchanges hands. The dude was cool as garbage. it was only about a ten minute ride. I gave him a $10 bill when we got out. 
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Aug. 23, 2016 - 4:13 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.



    Based on this post, I did some more research.

    Found out that it is really a grey area - and if you are driving a honda civic - it isnt going to matter.  But if you are driving a nicer car where you want some control over the quality of the repair - then it does matter.

    In the end - I AM RETIRED FROM UBER DRIVING!!!

    Seriously - thanks for the post- it made me look in to something I should have from the start.  Too much risk for my comfort level.

    Maybe I will buy a honda civic for my uber driving - but my nice car is retired.

    Thanks

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    Be forewarned:

    Your car insurance company will DENY any claims because you were using your vehicle for business use.



    Based on this post, I did some more research.

    Found out that it is really a grey area - and if you are driving a honda civic - it isnt going to matter.  But if you are driving a nicer car where you want some control over the quality of the repair - then it does matter.

    In the end - I AM RETIRED FROM UBER DRIVING!!!

    Seriously - thanks for the post- it made me look in to something I should have from the start.  Too much risk for my comfort level.

    Maybe I will buy a honda civic for my uber driving - but my nice car is retired.

    Thanks

     
    mainman11111
    mainman11111
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2016
    Posts: 1083
    Posted: Aug. 23, 2016 - 4:21 PM ET #22

    let me guess. u are from california? tons of uberization going on there.

    i've seen tesla / volt / nissan leaf uber =P
    Reply
    let me guess. u are from california? tons of uberization going on there.

    i've seen tesla / volt / nissan leaf uber =P
     
    Jailbait7127
    Jailbait7127
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2013
    Posts: 6810
    Posted: Aug. 25, 2016 - 9:41 PM ET #23

    which car do you drive :p
    Reply
    which car do you drive :p
     
    SG99
    SG99
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2013
    Posts: 309
    Posted: Aug. 27, 2016 - 3:26 AM ET #24

    Van, what was the funniest thing to hear, or strangest story in your car? Should install a camera, so we can watch.
    Reply
    Van, what was the funniest thing to hear, or strangest story in your car? Should install a camera, so we can watch.
     
     
    mainman11111
    mainman11111
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2016
    Posts: 1083
    Posted: Aug. 27, 2016 - 5:10 AM ET #25

    ^


    would be against uber policy. hha haa
    Reply
    ^


    would be against uber policy. hha haa
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,348
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 433
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,862
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,852
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 746
    • PART DEUX 143
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • Week 6 Money 8,016
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,216
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,152

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.