• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Can Someone with skills help me...

    123 Next Last»
    After_I_Win
    Messier-11
    shrewdie
    NONEED4LUCK
    REZKILLER
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 18299
    Posts: 54
    123 Next Last»
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 5:02 AM ET #1

    My brain is hurting trying to figure this out...so if you can help and explain that would be cool.

    Ok so this is about parlays (betting on multiple picks and they all must win or the parlay loses...I'm sure you all knew that).

    Ok so let's say I wanted to bet on multiple parlays so that I could hopefully get one right.  Is there a way that anyone can think of in that you could bet on multiple parlays and cover every possible outcome from the different games you picked?  I have tried to put this on paper, but my head hurts after trying to think of it...it's very confusing...for those mental ones amoung us...continue on...

    Ok so for an example:

    Let's start with a 2 team parlay using games.  Let's say it was Dallas and Oakland; and Green Bay and Detroit on Thanksgiving.  Now let's try to cover every possible outcome by betting parlays on those games. (I will use moneyline to make it easier).

    Ok so I figure that, to cover every possible outcome and guarantee a win, one would need to bet on 4 different parlays to cover the 2 team parlay. 

    Let's say we pick Dallas and Green Bay to win in one parlay.  Then the 2nd parlay would have to be Oak and Detroit in case of an upset.  Now let's say Dal wins and Detroit wins--parlay 3.  Then that leaves parlay 4 with Green Bay and Oak winning.  So by betting on 4 different parlays, each possible winning combination has been covered.  We will end up losing 3 of them, and winning 1.

    Now this is where it gets tricky.  Let's say we want to add on more games.  Let's say up to a 6 team parlay.  Let's add on the other Thanksgiving Day game (NYG vs. Den).   Ok so I figured that to make the 2 team parlay that we have correct above, into a 3 team parlay...all we would have to do is add a NYG win, and a Den win to each of the combinations above.  This would require that we now use 12 parlays to cover all combinations (if I have it right).  Because we have 4 parlays above and now we are making a new parlay for each different possible outcome.

    So does anyone know if it is possible to cover all possible outcomes of a 6 team parlay?  And how many parlays would it take to have a correct combination in one of them?

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    My brain is hurting trying to figure this out...so if you can help and explain that would be cool.

    Ok so this is about parlays (betting on multiple picks and they all must win or the parlay loses...I'm sure you all knew that).

    Ok so let's say I wanted to bet on multiple parlays so that I could hopefully get one right.  Is there a way that anyone can think of in that you could bet on multiple parlays and cover every possible outcome from the different games you picked?  I have tried to put this on paper, but my head hurts after trying to think of it...it's very confusing...for those mental ones amoung us...continue on...

    Ok so for an example:

    Let's start with a 2 team parlay using games.  Let's say it was Dallas and Oakland; and Green Bay and Detroit on Thanksgiving.  Now let's try to cover every possible outcome by betting parlays on those games. (I will use moneyline to make it easier).

    Ok so I figure that, to cover every possible outcome and guarantee a win, one would need to bet on 4 different parlays to cover the 2 team parlay. 

    Let's say we pick Dallas and Green Bay to win in one parlay.  Then the 2nd parlay would have to be Oak and Detroit in case of an upset.  Now let's say Dal wins and Detroit wins--parlay 3.  Then that leaves parlay 4 with Green Bay and Oak winning.  So by betting on 4 different parlays, each possible winning combination has been covered.  We will end up losing 3 of them, and winning 1.

    Now this is where it gets tricky.  Let's say we want to add on more games.  Let's say up to a 6 team parlay.  Let's add on the other Thanksgiving Day game (NYG vs. Den).   Ok so I figured that to make the 2 team parlay that we have correct above, into a 3 team parlay...all we would have to do is add a NYG win, and a Den win to each of the combinations above.  This would require that we now use 12 parlays to cover all combinations (if I have it right).  Because we have 4 parlays above and now we are making a new parlay for each different possible outcome.

    So does anyone know if it is possible to cover all possible outcomes of a 6 team parlay?  And how many parlays would it take to have a correct combination in one of them?

     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 5:06 AM ET #2

    If anyone wants me to explain something that is not clear above...I can answer any questions.
    Reply
    If anyone wants me to explain something that is not clear above...I can answer any questions.
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 5:13 AM ET #3

    Oh...and almost forgot.  I was just figuring to add 8 additional parlays for each additional game/team parlay.  So I came out with a 6 team parlay (covering all possible combinations) to be 36 different parlays.  Can someone prove this wrong?  Thanks for any help!
    Reply
    Oh...and almost forgot.  I was just figuring to add 8 additional parlays for each additional game/team parlay.  So I came out with a 6 team parlay (covering all possible combinations) to be 36 different parlays.  Can someone prove this wrong?  Thanks for any help!
     
    Messier-11
    Messier-11
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 11184
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 5:53 AM ET #4

    not possible.....wow
    Reply
    not possible.....wow
     
    shrewdie
    shrewdie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 3698
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 10:44 AM ET #5

    Dude.

    If you have 3 games with 2 possible outcomes u just multiply the number of outcomes to the power of the number of games.

    So

    2 outcomes 3 games = 2x2x2 = 8 possible 3 team parlays

    So the odds on a 3 team parlay IF they were all even money would be 7-1

    With juice a book would pay nearer 6-1

    Hope this helps.
    Reply
    Dude.

    If you have 3 games with 2 possible outcomes u just multiply the number of outcomes to the power of the number of games.

    So

    2 outcomes 3 games = 2x2x2 = 8 possible 3 team parlays

    So the odds on a 3 team parlay IF they were all even money would be 7-1

    With juice a book would pay nearer 6-1

    Hope this helps.
     
    NONEED4LUCK
    NONEED4LUCK
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 29214
    Posted: Nov. 27, 2009 - 11:54 AM ET #6

    my brain started hurting right after the second sentence.
    Reply
    my brain started hurting right after the second sentence.
     
    REZKILLER
    REZKILLER
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 879
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 2:39 AM ET #7

    Don't bother to try and figure out a way to beat vegas they are a little bit smarter than U and I
    Reply
    Don't bother to try and figure out a way to beat vegas they are a little bit smarter than U and I
     
    pjrez
    pjrez
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 4044
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 3:00 AM ET #8

    UMM. What?
    Reply
    UMM. What?
     
    tim1604
    tim1604
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2008
    Posts: 708
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 11:51 AM ET #9

    just send your money to me, i will put it to good use
    Reply
    just send your money to me, i will put it to good use
     
    hugh613
    hugh613
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 8269
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 11:55 AM ET #10

    Unless you only took underdogs, and all those underdogs hit, there's practically no way to turn a profit over the long haul (unless you have really, really deep pockets).

    It's like Powerball or any other lottery. There's a limited number of  potential combinations, but how on earth would you ever bankroll that?
    Reply
    Unless you only took underdogs, and all those underdogs hit, there's practically no way to turn a profit over the long haul (unless you have really, really deep pockets).

    It's like Powerball or any other lottery. There's a limited number of  potential combinations, but how on earth would you ever bankroll that?
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 3:37 PM ET #11

    Ok so here is how I was looking at it...

    If you bet on a 6 or 7 team parlay...and covered every possible combination...and bet a small amount on each...would that not turn a bit to profit? 

    But in order to see if that would be realistic I need to know how many combinations would have to be used.  For example:  would one be able to cover every combination of a 6 team parlay...like I said above...with 36 different parlay combinations.  If so, a dollar bet could be made on all 36 combinations...$36...and the payoff for a 6 team parlay would be greater than $36.  So can it be done...that's the question?  How many different combinations would have to be used?  If it takes 63 or whatever, then that would mean a certain loss.  But does it only take 36? 

    I know it's confusing and I will have to sit down and work with it on paper...but I was just trying to see if anyone here had any ideas about it or knew if it would/would not work.

    Reply

    Ok so here is how I was looking at it...

    If you bet on a 6 or 7 team parlay...and covered every possible combination...and bet a small amount on each...would that not turn a bit to profit? 

    But in order to see if that would be realistic I need to know how many combinations would have to be used.  For example:  would one be able to cover every combination of a 6 team parlay...like I said above...with 36 different parlay combinations.  If so, a dollar bet could be made on all 36 combinations...$36...and the payoff for a 6 team parlay would be greater than $36.  So can it be done...that's the question?  How many different combinations would have to be used?  If it takes 63 or whatever, then that would mean a certain loss.  But does it only take 36? 

    I know it's confusing and I will have to sit down and work with it on paper...but I was just trying to see if anyone here had any ideas about it or knew if it would/would not work.

     
    hugh613
    hugh613
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 8269
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 4:29 PM ET #12

    We have the sports lottery here in Canada where you can bet on 3-6 games per ticket and, trust me, there's only one way to turn a profit (and a really small profit at that): all the dogs (or at least 4 really big dogs) have to cover. Otherwise you're just breaking even or working at a loss, and what's the point of that?

    Trust me, Vegas already has these scenarios covered.
    Reply
    We have the sports lottery here in Canada where you can bet on 3-6 games per ticket and, trust me, there's only one way to turn a profit (and a really small profit at that): all the dogs (or at least 4 really big dogs) have to cover. Otherwise you're just breaking even or working at a loss, and what's the point of that?

    Trust me, Vegas already has these scenarios covered.
     
    nixon_33
    nixon_33
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 216
    Posted: Nov. 28, 2009 - 5:17 PM ET #13


    So let me see if I have this right.  

    On November 28, 2009, more than 70 years after the first casino opening in Vegas... after hundreds of billions of dollars has already exchanged hands... You, After_I_Win, believe that you have come up with a guaranteed way of profiting on a 6 team parlay?  

    The answer to your question is - NO, It is absolutely not possible.
    Reply

    So let me see if I have this right.  

    On November 28, 2009, more than 70 years after the first casino opening in Vegas... after hundreds of billions of dollars has already exchanged hands... You, After_I_Win, believe that you have come up with a guaranteed way of profiting on a 6 team parlay?  

    The answer to your question is - NO, It is absolutely not possible.
     
    Rocafella
    Rocafella
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 21480
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 12:19 AM ET #14

    Reply
     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 1:00 AM ET #15

    The problem is that none of you have skills.


    Skills
    Reply
    The problem is that none of you have skills.


    Skills
     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 1:03 AM ET #16

    "I know it's confusing and I will have to sit down and work with it on paper"


    Just wipe your ass with it instead... at least something will get done.

    Just kidding, but to be real for a second can you do me a favor and scan a copy of the paper when you're done, and post it online?
    Reply
    "I know it's confusing and I will have to sit down and work with it on paper"


    Just wipe your ass with it instead... at least something will get done.

    Just kidding, but to be real for a second can you do me a favor and scan a copy of the paper when you're done, and post it online?
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 2:00 AM ET #17

     Very nice comments from some of you...thanks so much.

    For those of you who are saying NO IT WON'T WORK...would you care to explain mathematically why it won't.  I'm not saying I am certain it is possible to cover every combination of a parlay...but if it's not...then prove me wrong with some numbers I can understand...don't just say it's not possible.

    Do half of you even understand what exactly it is I was actaully saying? 

    I have thought about it and it seems like there would eventually be too many different combinations to cover them all without taking a sure loss.  But I have not actually 100% determined that it's not possible...

    Reply

     Very nice comments from some of you...thanks so much.

    For those of you who are saying NO IT WON'T WORK...would you care to explain mathematically why it won't.  I'm not saying I am certain it is possible to cover every combination of a parlay...but if it's not...then prove me wrong with some numbers I can understand...don't just say it's not possible.

    Do half of you even understand what exactly it is I was actaully saying? 

    I have thought about it and it seems like there would eventually be too many different combinations to cover them all without taking a sure loss.  But I have not actually 100% determined that it's not possible...

     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 2:12 AM ET #18

    You're very welcome.  How did it feel wiping your ass with printing paper?

    There's a tiny little idea called a house edge.  That is your problem.  You can play every combination and guarantee yourself one (and only one) winning parlay, but it won't cover the losses of the other tickets.

    Are you being serious?  Come on dude, you obviously have the ability to think and be creative, more than a lot of people.  Apply it to something better than this.
    Reply
    You're very welcome.  How did it feel wiping your ass with printing paper?

    There's a tiny little idea called a house edge.  That is your problem.  You can play every combination and guarantee yourself one (and only one) winning parlay, but it won't cover the losses of the other tickets.

    Are you being serious?  Come on dude, you obviously have the ability to think and be creative, more than a lot of people.  Apply it to something better than this.
     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 2:14 AM ET #19

    1 X (house edge) = less than 1.

    I put it into an equation for you

    If you doodled any math on paper you really should post it.
    Reply
    1 X (house edge) = less than 1.

    I put it into an equation for you

    If you doodled any math on paper you really should post it.
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 2:51 AM ET #20

    I understand that the house has the edge.  But I still would like to know how many different combinations it would take???

    If one bet a dollar ($1) on a 6 team parlay...it should pay out about $44-46 if it is correct.  So are you saying that there are more than let's say 44 different combinations in order to cover every possible scenerio of a 6-team parlay?  Well how many does it take...if you have any ideas...

    Reply

    I understand that the house has the edge.  But I still would like to know how many different combinations it would take???

    If one bet a dollar ($1) on a 6 team parlay...it should pay out about $44-46 if it is correct.  So are you saying that there are more than let's say 44 different combinations in order to cover every possible scenerio of a 6-team parlay?  Well how many does it take...if you have any ideas...

     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 2:59 AM ET #21

    If you buy points on the games your edge goes up even more - think about it.  You buy points on every one of those games and you have a chance to hit more than 1 parlay - hell you could win every one!  I think you are on to something.
    Reply
    If you buy points on the games your edge goes up even more - think about it.  You buy points on every one of those games and you have a chance to hit more than 1 parlay - hell you could win every one!  I think you are on to something.
     
    vvryan11
    vvryan11
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 348
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 3:15 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by After_I_Win:

    I understand that the house has the edge.  But I still would like to know how many different combinations it would take???

    If one bet a dollar ($1) on a 6 team parlay...it should pay out about $44-46 if it is correct.  So are you saying that there are more than let's say 44 different combinations in order to cover every possible scenerio of a 6-team parlay?  Well how many does it take...if you have any ideas...



    I understand what your saying. There are 64 different possibilities for a 6 team parlay.  Like everyone else said, you're not gonna outsmart vegas.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by After_I_Win:

    I understand that the house has the edge.  But I still would like to know how many different combinations it would take???

    If one bet a dollar ($1) on a 6 team parlay...it should pay out about $44-46 if it is correct.  So are you saying that there are more than let's say 44 different combinations in order to cover every possible scenerio of a 6-team parlay?  Well how many does it take...if you have any ideas...



    I understand what your saying. There are 64 different possibilities for a 6 team parlay.  Like everyone else said, you're not gonna outsmart vegas.
     
    Spitfire15
    Spitfire15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2007
    Posts: 13407
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 3:20 AM ET #23

    vvryan, how did you come up with 64?  Just curious because I should know this but I tried 2 different methods and came up with 28 (which I knew was wrong because it is less than the 46 you could win) and 72.
    Reply
    vvryan, how did you come up with 64?  Just curious because I should know this but I tried 2 different methods and came up with 28 (which I knew was wrong because it is less than the 46 you could win) and 72.
     
    vvryan11
    vvryan11
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 348
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 3:23 AM ET #24

    And no there are no other x number of team parlays that can cover themselves. Here's an article that shows actual odds of several x number of team parlays, even has house edge.  https://www.hotstreaks.com/articles/35.asp Hope this helps. 
    Reply
    And no there are no other x number of team parlays that can cover themselves. Here's an article that shows actual odds of several x number of team parlays, even has house edge.  https://www.hotstreaks.com/articles/35.asp Hope this helps. 
     
     
    After_I_Win
    After_I_Win
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 21
    Posted: Nov. 29, 2009 - 3:31 AM ET #25

    Ok so all sites are different...one site said a $40 payout for a $1 bet on a 6 team parlay. 

    And yes, I would like to know how you are coming up with the numbers.  I don't really think it will work after thinking about it, but I want to know why it won't. lol

    An even easier way to look at it is do figure on the over/unders.  I started with 2 teams and figured out that by doing 4 different parlays you could cover all possoble outcomes and win one parlay.  But that would result in sure loss.  So to get the payout higher, I just added more teams.  For each additional team I added to the 6-team parlay I counted 8 more possible parlay combinations...not sure that it is right though.  I simply added a let's say under bet, and an over bet for each additional team.  Which is to say, 4 unders and 4 overs for each team added to the first 2 teams I started with.

    I know something has to be wrong with that way of doing it...but then what is it?  And how many would it take to cover them all?  How do you reach your figures?

    Reply

    Ok so all sites are different...one site said a $40 payout for a $1 bet on a 6 team parlay. 

    And yes, I would like to know how you are coming up with the numbers.  I don't really think it will work after thinking about it, but I want to know why it won't. lol

    An even easier way to look at it is do figure on the over/unders.  I started with 2 teams and figured out that by doing 4 different parlays you could cover all possoble outcomes and win one parlay.  But that would result in sure loss.  So to get the payout higher, I just added more teams.  For each additional team I added to the 6-team parlay I counted 8 more possible parlay combinations...not sure that it is right though.  I simply added a let's say under bet, and an over bet for each additional team.  Which is to say, 4 unders and 4 overs for each team added to the first 2 teams I started with.

    I know something has to be wrong with that way of doing it...but then what is it?  And how many would it take to cover them all?  How do you reach your figures?

    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,679
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,379
    • Sunday 10/04/2026 685
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,054
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,311
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 8,356
    • This Seattle Line Is Begging for a Discussion 2,812
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,477
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 8,144
    • __________ 📌 🏈 ?? Fubah's NFL 2026: Week 04 🚩🚩🚩🚩 13,197

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.