Bally’s Changes Construction Plans for Project Around Las Vegas Ballpark

Charlotte Capewell - Contributor at Covers.com
Charlotte Capewell • Contributor 5+ years betting experience
Updated: Aug 20, 2026 , 05:08 PM ET • 4 min read

Bally’s is moving forward with the first phase of its Las Vegas development around the MLB stadium while the hotel-casino portion awaits additional approvals.

Photo By - Bally's.

Bally’s has altered its development plans for its Las Vegas project surrounding the Athletics’ under-construction Major League Baseball ballpark.

Key Takeaways

  • Bally’s has changed its development plans for the project, with Clark County approving only part of the proposed complex.

  • Bally’s is prioritizing an entertainment complex and infrastructure around the ballpark, with the casino resort coming later.

  • A potential sale may also be on the cards, with the deal reportedly needing to be finalized by Thursday to go ahead.

The changes came after the Clark County Commission approved an entitlement package covering parking, a podium, and a 2,500-seat theater, rather than the full project, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The commission is scheduled to review permits for the casino and hotel plans Sept. 16, while that portion of the project also requires Federal Aviation Administration approval.

Bally’s unveiled its plans for the ballpark development last September, and construction was expected to begin in the first half of 2026. Plans included two hotel towers, a theatre, retail and dining spaces, a nine-acre plaza, and a 56,000-square-foot gaming area featuring a casino, sportsbook, bars, a pool, and parking.

Bally’s has faced financial woes, issuing a going concern warning to its investors last week amid fears it may not be able to meet its debt obligations. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Bally’s said it was pursuing financing alternatives to enhance its liquidity.

A potential sale of the Las Vegas project may also be in the works. The Review-Journal noted a potential $1.1-billion sale of the project is also in the works, with a deal reportedly needing to be finalized by Thursday. If the deal doesn’t go through, Bally’s says it's confident construction can proceed.

The new construction has been divided into multiple phases, with the first including the Athletics’ ballpark, a 1,500-space parking lot, and a central utility plant. The second phase will include the podium, theater, and additional parking, while the final phases will include the construction of the casino-resort.

Enjoying Covers content? Add us as a preferred source on your Google account Add as a preferred source on Google

Bally’s halts Chicago construction

Bally’s Las Vegas venture is not the only project to see setbacks. Earlier in the month, Bally’s paused construction on its Chicago casino for most of its non-gaming amenities.

Bally's said the pause was due to Chicago’s 2026 budget, which legalized the use of video lottery terminals across the city, including in restaurants, bars, and truck stops. Bally’s argued this was a breach of the city’s Host Community Agreement with the operator to not expand gambling while construction of the casino was underway.

“Bally’s issued a notification to the Chicago Community Builders Collective (CCBC) that it is resetting the pace of construction of elements of Bally’s Chicago permanent casino,” Bally’s said in a statement. “The potential for an uncontrolled proliferation of video gambling terminals (VGTs) is in breach of the City’s commitment not to expand gaming in the Host Community Agreement (HCA) and creates uncertainty that could be harmful for Bally’s Chicago prospects.”

Bally’s said the casino remains on track to open in early 2027, while construction of several non-gaming amenities remains on hold.

Pages related to this topic

Charlotte Capewell
Contributor

Charlotte lives and breathes the iGaming world, always eager to uncover the latest scoop. Whether it be new slot launches, the latest regulator news, or overnight affiliate marketing trends, she’s all over it. With plenty of experience covering the pulse of digital casinos, tech innovation, and the evolving US gambling landscape, Charlotte makes complex industry developments feel like a backstage pass to a party.

She deciphers industry maneuvers, mergers, and launches briefly and clearly. Imagine breaking news explained over coffee, not a boardroom memo. Charlotte’s style? No industry jargon, just colourful storytelling, insightful context, and a reporter’s curiosity that takes her from legislative hearings to affiliate roundtables without missing a beat.

Off duty, you might find Charlotte roaming the casino trade floors, notebooks in hand, chatting up compliance officers, platform developers, or slot-machine designers. Pretty much anyone with inside tales. She’s drawn to the energy and the characters, gathering real-world color to fuel her next story. 

And when she’s not chasing the latest gambling headlines? Charlotte is glued to Formula 1 weekends, passionately analyzing team strategies like they’re regulatory frameworks and defending her favorite driver and team with the same fire she brings to a breaking story. Just don’t schedule a call during a Grand Prix.

Popular Content

Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GPWA Logo GDPR Logo GeoTrust Logo Evalon Logo