TORONTO, Ont. – The minister in charge of Alberta’s sweeping overhaul of regulated sports betting and iGaming said on Wednesday that they are sticking to a July 13 launch date for the province’s new regulatory framework.
- Alberta's regulated sports betting and iGaming market is still set to launch on July 13 after nearly two years of planning and industry consultation.
- Minister Dale Nally said the province delayed a possibly earlier launch at operators’ request, and that it wants to move gamblers away from unregulated betting sites into a safer legal market.
- The new regulatory ecosystem will include responsible gambling measures, revenue sharing with First Nations, and potentially dozens of licensed operators competing with the AGLC's Play Alberta.
Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction Minister Dale Nally even suggested that they could have already launched that competitive iGaming market, but ultimately opted for a more gradual approach after hearing from a growing number of operators interested in the Western Canadian province.
“After nearly two years of planning, two years of collaboration and preparation, Alberta's regulated iGaming market is almost here,” Nally said Wednesday at the SBC Summit Canada conference in Toronto. “On July 13th, Alberta will officially launch its expanded and regulated online gaming market.”
The July 13 launch date for the new Alberta sports betting and iGaming market has been known for weeks now, but Nally's comments suggest there will be no further delay.
That commitment comes as Alberta has been inching toward the launch of its regulated iGaming market for years. There was even chatter about a late 2024 debut at one point.
Eventually, though, the provincial government pumped the brakes to allow it to digest more feedback. It then passed legislation last year that officially set it on a course for the July 13 launch.
Nally, though, suggested that the launch could have happened already if not for heeding the concerns of some operators.
“I wanted to launch earlier,” Nally said during a Q&A session after his opening remarks. “We were ready to launch earlier. We were going to go in May, but it was … the operators that said to us that they wanted us to hold back. And so, through consultation with industry, we landed on July 13th as being that sweet spot, and so I am confident that we are going to be ready.”
Everybody's doing it
Nally’s reasons for launching as soon as possible include the rampant “grey” or “black” market online gambling already happening in Alberta.
The provincial government, citing recent survey data, has said that around 70% of all online gambling within its borders happens with “unregulated operators” that may be licensed abroad or outside the province, but not by the province itself.
Alberta now intends to license and authorize a small army of private-sector online sportsbooks and casino sites to channel that preexisting gambling into provincially regulated channels.
Starting on July 13, those operators will compete for business with each other, as well as with the only iGaming platform that’s currently authorized by the province, the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission’s (AGLC) Play Alberta.
“The reality is simple: Albertans are already gambling online,” Nally said. “The question was never whether online gambling existed. The question was whether it would happen in a regulated environment with strong standards, clear oversight, and meaningful player protections.”
That’s what the Alberta government aims to provide starting on July 13, with provincially required standards for things like advertising and responsible gambling. The province will also have a centralized self-exclusion system in place from Day 1, which will allow bettors to ban themselves from all online and in-person betting sites simultaneously.
Progress continues to be made. On Tuesday, for instance, Dan Keene was officially announced as the permanent CEO of the new Alberta iGaming Corp. (AiGC), after previously serving as the interim chief executive. The AiGC is a government-owned entity that will sign contracts with iGaming operators that outline their responsibilities and permit them to do business in the province.
Enjoying Covers content? Add us as a preferred source on your Google account
Fine non-cannibals
Alberta will also dedicate 1% of all gross gaming revenue generated by its competitive iGaming scheme to responsible and problem gambling programs. Another 2% will be dedicated to First Nations in the province, which is partly intended to offset any hit to their brick-and-mortar casino businesses.
“It is going to more than make up for any cannibalization that happens in the land-based casinos on First Nations,” Nally said.
Some First Nations are poised to offer their own iGaming sites in Alberta as well, and Nally said they are encouraging all brick-and-mortar operators to consider participating. However, Alberta will not require iGaming operators to “tether” themselves to physical gambling properties as is done in other jurisdictions.
Dale Nally, Alberta’s de facto iGaming minister, just said at the SBC Summit Canada that he wanted to launch his province’s competitive iGaming market even earlier than the now-July 13 start date. Were ready for a May launch, he says, but landed on July 13 as the “sweet spot.”
— Geoff Zochodne (@GeoffZochodne) May 20, 2026
The Alberta government will retain approximately 20% of iGaming revenue after the 3% deduction for responsible gambling and First Nations. Nally acknowledged the province has to “get our taste,” as it has public services and infrastructure to provide to its residents. That said, the minister added that the launch of a competitive iGaming market is not about the money, but about delivering protection for consumers.
“If we happen to get some extra revenue for government, I think the premier will be happy, the minister of finance will be happy, but that, of course, is not why we're doing this,” Nally said.
Meanwhile, it already looks like Alberta’s regulated iGaming market will be a hotly contested one. There were 28 registered operators (a process similar to licensing) as of May 15, and the potential is there for much more, as the province has not put a cap on the number of entities that can participate.
Alberta is modelling its iGaming market after the one launched in Ontario in 2022. In the latter province, there are now more than 40 operators offering more than 70 sports betting, casino gaming, and poker sites. Most other Canadian provinces authorize only government-owned operators to offer online gambling.
"If you like your experience in Ontario, you're going to love your experience in Alberta, so please come," Nally said on Wednesday.
The minister also said that he’s heard as many as 70 operators have expressed an interest in Alberta, and that 37 or so have already paid their licensing fees.
“The best way to deal with the illicit market is to have a healthy, responsible legal market,” Nally said.






