This isnt kickboxing. The striking discipline is different in MMA.
Yeah, striking is different in mma because of the cage and the threat of takedown. When two guys have no interest in takedowns or cage pressure and also happen to be both high level Dutch-style kickboxers, the posture will look much more upright.
Quote Originally Posted by rzagza:
This isnt kickboxing. The striking discipline is different in MMA.
Yeah, striking is different in mma because of the cage and the threat of takedown. When two guys have no interest in takedowns or cage pressure and also happen to be both high level Dutch-style kickboxers, the posture will look much more upright.
And the gloves are 4 oz. Manheof understands what the differences are and has had alot of success. Schilling hasnt found any of the same success. I know, I know, Schilling has been submitted in his MMA fights and Melvin doesnt bother with subs but the fact remains that Schilling hasnt had any success in the cage even with his kickboxing experience. The deliver of kicks and strikes is much different in a cage environment with smaller gloves on.
And the gloves are 4 oz. Manheof understands what the differences are and has had alot of success. Schilling hasnt found any of the same success. I know, I know, Schilling has been submitted in his MMA fights and Melvin doesnt bother with subs but the fact remains that Schilling hasnt had any success in the cage even with his kickboxing experience. The deliver of kicks and strikes is much different in a cage environment with smaller gloves on.
Yeah sure, the small gloves are important because head movement and range is much more important - clean shots at good range are much more devastating in 4 ozers - while in kickboxing you can take a few more risks in striking range. I still think that favors Schilling since he's longer and depends more on straights than hooks, but we shall see.
I'm completely with you, man. I saw the line and thought WTF? In another thread I predicted the line at Melvin -350 or something before it opened. But I think a guy like Melvin is a perfect mma fight for a guy like Schilling and when I see a line that begs for action and has even improved since the open, I have a hard time being on the "easy" side. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yeah sure, the small gloves are important because head movement and range is much more important - clean shots at good range are much more devastating in 4 ozers - while in kickboxing you can take a few more risks in striking range. I still think that favors Schilling since he's longer and depends more on straights than hooks, but we shall see.
I'm completely with you, man. I saw the line and thought WTF? In another thread I predicted the line at Melvin -350 or something before it opened. But I think a guy like Melvin is a perfect mma fight for a guy like Schilling and when I see a line that begs for action and has even improved since the open, I have a hard time being on the "easy" side. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I was starting a thread with the same exact question but came across yours first.... Guy hes fighting is 1-3? and Melvin only -145?? im also confused.... Im parlaying it with the under 1.5 - , doubt its going that long
I was starting a thread with the same exact question but came across yours first.... Guy hes fighting is 1-3? and Melvin only -145?? im also confused.... Im parlaying it with the under 1.5 - , doubt its going that long
Yeah, striking is different in mma because of the cage and the threat of takedown. When two guys have no interest in takedowns or cage pressure and also happen to be both high level Dutch-style kickboxers, the posture will look much more upright.
agreed
and schilling just placed second in the kickboxing tournament that melvin lost in the quarterfinals
the mma records mean nothing in this fight as there in all likelihood be no fighting taking place on the ground or in the clinch
if schilling can get out of the first round history says that he has a good chance of winning as all of melvins kos have pretty much come in the first five minutes
Quote Originally Posted by OnTheO:
Yeah, striking is different in mma because of the cage and the threat of takedown. When two guys have no interest in takedowns or cage pressure and also happen to be both high level Dutch-style kickboxers, the posture will look much more upright.
agreed
and schilling just placed second in the kickboxing tournament that melvin lost in the quarterfinals
the mma records mean nothing in this fight as there in all likelihood be no fighting taking place on the ground or in the clinch
if schilling can get out of the first round history says that he has a good chance of winning as all of melvins kos have pretty much come in the first five minutes
I was starting a thread with the same exact question but came across yours first.... Guy hes fighting is 1-3? and Melvin only -145?? im also confused.... Im parlaying it with the under 1.5 - , doubt its going that long
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Schilling
this is the record that you want to be looking at
this is going to be a great fight,much better than the ortiz/bonner fight
Quote Originally Posted by NickCapone:
I was starting a thread with the same exact question but came across yours first.... Guy hes fighting is 1-3? and Melvin only -145?? im also confused.... Im parlaying it with the under 1.5 - , doubt its going that long
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Schilling
this is the record that you want to be looking at
this is going to be a great fight,much better than the ortiz/bonner fight