• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Mixed Martial Arts

    I don't post ever in the MMA forum...but...

    alangrrbs
    Howdoiplayxx
    MR219
    Brightsizelife
    GrindItOut44
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1280
    Posts: 18
     
    alangrrbs
    alangrrbs
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2011
    Posts: 4739
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:09 PM ET #1

    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  
     
    Howdoiplayxx
    Howdoiplayxx
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 2808
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:16 PM ET #2

    FML WHAT THE FCKKLASF;KLJALKS;DFJAJKLSDFKL;ASDFJKLADJKLS
    Reply
    FML WHAT THE FCKKLASF;KLJALKS;DFJAJKLSDFKL;ASDFJKLADJKLS
     
    MR219
    MR219
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 6706
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:32 PM ET #3

    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  

    I could not agree more...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  

    I could not agree more...
     
    Brightsizelife
    Brightsizelife
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 946
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:32 PM ET #4

    Totally agree......so did Joe and Dana
    Reply
    Totally agree......so did Joe and Dana
     
    GrindItOut44
    GrindItOut44
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2013
    Posts: 568
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:39 PM ET #5

    One of the things that ruined boxing in my opinion.
    Reply
    One of the things that ruined boxing in my opinion.
     
    alangrrbs
    alangrrbs
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2011
    Posts: 4739
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:51 PM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Brightsizelife:

    Totally agree......so did Joe and Dana

    It's cute to see Joe and Dana smile and mention it, but they need to have a loud voice.  I've met Dana White when he was here in Indianapolis for the worst UFC event of all time (the all heavyweight event), and I talked to him about for about 1 minute about the disastrous event and his passion about UFC could not be more obvious.  He and Joe Rogan love MMA , and they need to speak out and let the public know that decisions like this are not acceptable.

    Look at the complete lack of leadership from Goodell in the NFL, and people aren't OK with that.  It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightsizelife:

    Totally agree......so did Joe and Dana

    It's cute to see Joe and Dana smile and mention it, but they need to have a loud voice.  I've met Dana White when he was here in Indianapolis for the worst UFC event of all time (the all heavyweight event), and I talked to him about for about 1 minute about the disastrous event and his passion about UFC could not be more obvious.  He and Joe Rogan love MMA , and they need to speak out and let the public know that decisions like this are not acceptable.

    Look at the complete lack of leadership from Goodell in the NFL, and people aren't OK with that.  It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 
     
    OnTheO
    OnTheO
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2014
    Posts: 618
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 10:53 PM ET #7

    I agree 100%. They're looking at different options that would still work for TV. Everyone just always goes back to "fight with no rounds until someone finishes", but that would result in 2 hour fights with no commercials...not possible.

    The sport is in it's infancy so still working out issues like this unfortunately. I've heard rumors of using a fight analytics database similar to fightmetric to act as either 1 of 3 judges (break ties) or as the exclusive judge. It may score significant strikes as 1, takedowns as 2, sub attempts as 1.5...whatever. If you haven't looked at fightmetric.com, it's a great tool. 

     I don't know what the solution is, but it starts on the state level. Each state athletic commission picks their own judges, refs, etc. In Las Vegas, at least the judges have 20 UFC events there per year. In Boston, these judges may have only had the pressure of one UFC event in the last 3-4 years (not sure exactly how many). They're likely not at all trained in MMA - most judges are ex-attorneys that the athletic commissions ask to unbiasedly judge MMA events, give them a 2 day tutorial on what constitutes "good scoring", and then throw them out there to judge a fight that could cost a guy his job, 50% of his paycheck, etc. It's nuts.
    Reply
    I agree 100%. They're looking at different options that would still work for TV. Everyone just always goes back to "fight with no rounds until someone finishes", but that would result in 2 hour fights with no commercials...not possible.

    The sport is in it's infancy so still working out issues like this unfortunately. I've heard rumors of using a fight analytics database similar to fightmetric to act as either 1 of 3 judges (break ties) or as the exclusive judge. It may score significant strikes as 1, takedowns as 2, sub attempts as 1.5...whatever. If you haven't looked at fightmetric.com, it's a great tool. 

     I don't know what the solution is, but it starts on the state level. Each state athletic commission picks their own judges, refs, etc. In Las Vegas, at least the judges have 20 UFC events there per year. In Boston, these judges may have only had the pressure of one UFC event in the last 3-4 years (not sure exactly how many). They're likely not at all trained in MMA - most judges are ex-attorneys that the athletic commissions ask to unbiasedly judge MMA events, give them a 2 day tutorial on what constitutes "good scoring", and then throw them out there to judge a fight that could cost a guy his job, 50% of his paycheck, etc. It's nuts.
     
    ELEV8
    ELEV8
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 25
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:08 PM ET #8

    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  


    ^^^ THIS!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    UFC is on a dangerous path with having some of these decisions.  I know judges are human (I've been a basketball, volleyball and football ref for 16 years), but I'm not a MMA expert, and even I can see how terrible and corrupt some of these decisions have been recently.  The decision against Spencer makes the sport look really bad, and it makes it look like there are things going on behind the scenes to pay off judges, bookies, sports books, etc.  

    MMA lovers will watch all the events, but when the average person who isn't an expert tunes in to the fights on FoxSports 1 and watches someone like Spencer dominate his opponent, and then the judges say that Spencer lost convincingly...that's when people roll their eyes and turn the channel and don't watch the next event.  

    I didn't have any money on that fight, but as a MMA novice I know what I saw, and to have three professional judges tell me that Spencer lost that fight in all 3 rounds is an insult.  

    I really hope UFC comes up with something to avoid situations like what we saw tonight.  


    ^^^ THIS!
     
    ELEV8
    ELEV8
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 25
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:11 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 


    They already do complain.  Dana's credibility among the fans has fallen tremendously over the last couple years.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:

    It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 


    They already do complain.  Dana's credibility among the fans has fallen tremendously over the last couple years.
     
    ELEV8
    ELEV8
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 25
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:12 PM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:


    It's cute to see Joe and Dana smile and mention it, but they need to have a loud voice.  I've met Dana White when he was here in Indianapolis for the worst UFC event of all time (the all heavyweight event), and I talked to him about for about 1 minute about the disastrous event and his passion about UFC could not be more obvious.  He and Joe Rogan love MMA , and they need to speak out and let the public know that decisions like this are not acceptable.

    Look at the complete lack of leadership from Goodell in the NFL, and people aren't OK with that.  It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 



    They already do complain.  Dana's credibility among the fans has fallen tremendously over the last couple years.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:


    It's cute to see Joe and Dana smile and mention it, but they need to have a loud voice.  I've met Dana White when he was here in Indianapolis for the worst UFC event of all time (the all heavyweight event), and I talked to him about for about 1 minute about the disastrous event and his passion about UFC could not be more obvious.  He and Joe Rogan love MMA , and they need to speak out and let the public know that decisions like this are not acceptable.

    Look at the complete lack of leadership from Goodell in the NFL, and people aren't OK with that.  It's only going to take a few more decisions like the Spencer decision to get people openly complaining about Dana and the UFC. 



    They already do complain.  Dana's credibility among the fans has fallen tremendously over the last couple years.
     
    CHANGCHANG
    CHANGCHANG
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2013
    Posts: 10302
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:41 PM ET #11

    another weird decision....LOL 
    Reply
    another weird decision....LOL 
     
    sixpak420
    sixpak420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 375
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:45 PM ET #12

    I haven't watche UFC in a few years. After these garbage decisions I won't be watching for at least a few more years.
    Reply
    I haven't watche UFC in a few years. After these garbage decisions I won't be watching for at least a few more years.
     
    alangrrbs
    alangrrbs
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2011
    Posts: 4739
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:48 PM ET #13

    Unbelievable.  I DID have money on this fight...bet on Cowboy.  Was 100% sure that was a lost wager.  What a bad night for UFC judging.

    Controversy is not good for sports.  Great athletes, great stories, and great presentation is good for sports.  Attention on the athletes and the event is good for business.  Attention on the people running and judging the sport is bad for business.
    Reply
    Unbelievable.  I DID have money on this fight...bet on Cowboy.  Was 100% sure that was a lost wager.  What a bad night for UFC judging.

    Controversy is not good for sports.  Great athletes, great stories, and great presentation is good for sports.  Attention on the athletes and the event is good for business.  Attention on the people running and judging the sport is bad for business.
     
    alangrrbs
    alangrrbs
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2011
    Posts: 4739
    Posted: Jan. 18, 2015 - 11:50 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheO:

    I agree 100%. They're looking at different options that would still work for TV. Everyone just always goes back to "fight with no rounds until someone finishes", but that would result in 2 hour fights with no commercials...not possible.

    The sport is in it's infancy so still working out issues like this unfortunately. I've heard rumors of using a fight analytics database similar to fightmetric to act as either 1 of 3 judges (break ties) or as the exclusive judge. It may score significant strikes as 1, takedowns as 2, sub attempts as 1.5...whatever. If you haven't looked at fightmetric.com, it's a great tool. 

     I don't know what the solution is, but it starts on the state level. Each state athletic commission picks their own judges, refs, etc. In Las Vegas, at least the judges have 20 UFC events there per year. In Boston, these judges may have only had the pressure of one UFC event in the last 3-4 years (not sure exactly how many). They're likely not at all trained in MMA - most judges are ex-attorneys that the athletic commissions ask to unbiasedly judge MMA events, give them a 2 day tutorial on what constitutes "good scoring", and then throw them out there to judge a fight that could cost a guy his job, 50% of his paycheck, etc. It's nuts.

    Great info on the judges.  I had no idea, and I bet most viewers don't know that either.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheO:

    I agree 100%. They're looking at different options that would still work for TV. Everyone just always goes back to "fight with no rounds until someone finishes", but that would result in 2 hour fights with no commercials...not possible.

    The sport is in it's infancy so still working out issues like this unfortunately. I've heard rumors of using a fight analytics database similar to fightmetric to act as either 1 of 3 judges (break ties) or as the exclusive judge. It may score significant strikes as 1, takedowns as 2, sub attempts as 1.5...whatever. If you haven't looked at fightmetric.com, it's a great tool. 

     I don't know what the solution is, but it starts on the state level. Each state athletic commission picks their own judges, refs, etc. In Las Vegas, at least the judges have 20 UFC events there per year. In Boston, these judges may have only had the pressure of one UFC event in the last 3-4 years (not sure exactly how many). They're likely not at all trained in MMA - most judges are ex-attorneys that the athletic commissions ask to unbiasedly judge MMA events, give them a 2 day tutorial on what constitutes "good scoring", and then throw them out there to judge a fight that could cost a guy his job, 50% of his paycheck, etc. It's nuts.

    Great info on the judges.  I had no idea, and I bet most viewers don't know that either.  
     
    sixpak420
    sixpak420
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 375
    Posted: Jan. 19, 2015 - 12:03 AM ET #15

    I haven't watche UFC in a few years. After these garbage decisions I won't be watching for at least a few more years.
    Reply
    I haven't watche UFC in a few years. After these garbage decisions I won't be watching for at least a few more years.
     
    OnTheO
    OnTheO
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2014
    Posts: 618
    Posted: Jan. 19, 2015 - 12:04 AM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:


    Great info on the judges.  I had no idea, and I bet most viewers don't know that either.  

    No problem. In the Hall-Stallings fight when the cut occurred, Joe Rogan said something along the lines of "they wouldn't have called this fight in Nevada", meaning the doctor wouldn't have stopped it. Because the doctors in Nevada have seen a cut like that 100 times and they understand the ramifications for stopping the fight. 

    Unlike any other sport, guys get paid on a structure something like $20k to show and $20k to win, meaning they only get half of their money if the doctor, ref, or judges F something up. Apparently, the UFC takes care of the guys that are screwed, but at the end of the day, that's not the point. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by alangrrbs:


    Great info on the judges.  I had no idea, and I bet most viewers don't know that either.  

    No problem. In the Hall-Stallings fight when the cut occurred, Joe Rogan said something along the lines of "they wouldn't have called this fight in Nevada", meaning the doctor wouldn't have stopped it. Because the doctors in Nevada have seen a cut like that 100 times and they understand the ramifications for stopping the fight. 

    Unlike any other sport, guys get paid on a structure something like $20k to show and $20k to win, meaning they only get half of their money if the doctor, ref, or judges F something up. Apparently, the UFC takes care of the guys that are screwed, but at the end of the day, that's not the point. 
     
    rzagza
    rzagza
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 10857
    Posted: Jan. 19, 2015 - 12:12 AM ET #17

    Have seen MUCH worse decisions than this one tonight.  People are gonna be annoyed if they bet on Bendo but it wasnt THAT bad.
    Reply
    Have seen MUCH worse decisions than this one tonight.  People are gonna be annoyed if they bet on Bendo but it wasnt THAT bad.
     
     
    Ferrari29
    Ferrari29
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2014
    Posts: 3106
    Posted: Jan. 19, 2015 - 12:40 AM ET #18

    Hey Alan I've had worse beats in UFC than them two, but I feel for the guys who pick these fights and bet on them. Horrible feeling but the TE from the Packers had the worst day today!!!!!!!!!!
    Reply
    Hey Alan I've had worse beats in UFC than them two, but I feel for the guys who pick these fights and bet on them. Horrible feeling but the TE from the Packers had the worst day today!!!!!!!!!!
    All Forums | Mixed Martial Arts

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 455,280
    • Wednesday 09/30/2026 636
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,462
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 10,668
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,257
    • PHILLY/ATL live in game comments welcome 614
    • PART DEUX 122
    • Trump's legacy? 32,960
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 29,142
    • Trump lies so much. 22,910

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.