• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    What age do kids get their own phones these days

    mr_bollox
    Slobbasaurus
    SportsFan9698
    sports_Network
    TheBallDontLie
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 531
    Posts: 7
     
    mr_bollox
    mr_bollox
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 14400
    Posted: Jun. 2, 2016 - 10:42 AM ET #1

    My daughter's 9, I was hoping we could hold out to maybe 12, some kid in her class has now got a phone, I fear the snowball/domino effect 
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    My daughter's 9, I was hoping we could hold out to maybe 12, some kid in her class has now got a phone, I fear the snowball/domino effect 
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jun. 2, 2016 - 10:57 AM ET #2

    My brother and his ex-wife got in an argument about this subject just last week.

    He got his son a cell phone for his 10th birthday.  The idiot did not check with her beforehand and will not allow my nephew to have it; and rightfully so.

    I don't think a kid that young should have one.  If so, a flip phone without data would suffice.  Between kids getting bullied on the internet and sexting, nothing good can come out of a kid having a smart phone with a data plan.

    Personally, I got my first celly when I was 15 back in 2000 as a sophomore in high school.  I had that Nokia phone that was similar to Zach Morris' with the Snake game on it. 

    High school was fun, hahaha
    Reply
    My brother and his ex-wife got in an argument about this subject just last week.

    He got his son a cell phone for his 10th birthday.  The idiot did not check with her beforehand and will not allow my nephew to have it; and rightfully so.

    I don't think a kid that young should have one.  If so, a flip phone without data would suffice.  Between kids getting bullied on the internet and sexting, nothing good can come out of a kid having a smart phone with a data plan.

    Personally, I got my first celly when I was 15 back in 2000 as a sophomore in high school.  I had that Nokia phone that was similar to Zach Morris' with the Snake game on it. 

    High school was fun, hahaha
     
    SportsFan9698
    SportsFan9698
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 5575
    Posted: Jun. 5, 2016 - 6:21 AM ET #3

    Times are always changing - that is the most important part you need to understand.

    To many of us, the cell phone is still viewed as a "luxury item" but it really is not.  It is a necessity for anybody that carries about their business... and that can be pretty young if your kid is involved with sports and other stuff.

    I bought my kids their first phones when they were in middle school because I wanted to be in touch with them.  That was 6 years ago and I can see an argument for going a bit younger now.

    The key is communication and education.  I always talked open a freely with my boys about the downside of texting and social networking and such.  They have handled it all quite well.

    Many of you act as if it is something to be feared... I don't understand that.  You will also need to teach your kid to drive when they are 15... so do it.  Same difference.

    Reply
    Times are always changing - that is the most important part you need to understand.

    To many of us, the cell phone is still viewed as a "luxury item" but it really is not.  It is a necessity for anybody that carries about their business... and that can be pretty young if your kid is involved with sports and other stuff.

    I bought my kids their first phones when they were in middle school because I wanted to be in touch with them.  That was 6 years ago and I can see an argument for going a bit younger now.

    The key is communication and education.  I always talked open a freely with my boys about the downside of texting and social networking and such.  They have handled it all quite well.

    Many of you act as if it is something to be feared... I don't understand that.  You will also need to teach your kid to drive when they are 15... so do it.  Same difference.

     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Jun. 7, 2016 - 4:02 AM ET #4

    a youngster having a cell phone is lifesaving..every kid should have one...if they can read, and write, they can operate a phone. GPS tracking phones are a parents dream come true....
    Reply
    a youngster having a cell phone is lifesaving..every kid should have one...if they can read, and write, they can operate a phone. GPS tracking phones are a parents dream come true....
     
    sports_Network
    sports_Network
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2009
    Posts: 8426
    Posted: Jun. 7, 2016 - 4:09 AM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bollox:

    My daughter's 9, I was hoping we could hold out to maybe 12, some kid in her class has now got a phone, I fear the snowball/domino effect 
    she's better off with a phone, than without...the reason's are positively numerous...being 9 in 2016 is quite different than being 9 in 1999...to each his own; be progressive, make a kid happy
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bollox:

    My daughter's 9, I was hoping we could hold out to maybe 12, some kid in her class has now got a phone, I fear the snowball/domino effect 
    she's better off with a phone, than without...the reason's are positively numerous...being 9 in 2016 is quite different than being 9 in 1999...to each his own; be progressive, make a kid happy
     
    TheBallDontLie
    TheBallDontLie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 4463
    Posted: Jun. 7, 2016 - 5:58 PM ET #6

    What 9 year old needs a cell phone. I didn't get one until I was in high school (27 now) and survived. 
    Reply
    What 9 year old needs a cell phone. I didn't get one until I was in high school (27 now) and survived. 
     
     
    MullerRose
    MullerRose
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2016
    Posts: 192
    Posted: Jun. 12, 2016 - 11:09 PM ET #7

    I got a cellphone when I was 18 years old and I was fine! and the phone I got is just a basic phone (for txt and calls) only. I survived and plan to do the same for my daughters. But I was wondering if they'll have the same experience as I am, or if they'll be fine with it since times are really different these days. I am also worried that they'll get out of place. And yes, it's difficult being a parent! 
    Reply
    I got a cellphone when I was 18 years old and I was fine! and the phone I got is just a basic phone (for txt and calls) only. I survived and plan to do the same for my daughters. But I was wondering if they'll have the same experience as I am, or if they'll be fine with it since times are really different these days. I am also worried that they'll get out of place. And yes, it's difficult being a parent! 
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,354
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 434
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,882
    • PART DEUX 148
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 838
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,853
    • Week 6 Money 8,280
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,220
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,228

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.