Heading up to Seattle to move my mother's things out of her place. Some very nice items. Dishes, expensive clothing, furniture, washer/dryer etc.. I'd like to donate to needy families and avoid the scam donation organizations we all know about that turn a profit and scam the system.
Don't have time, patience or inclination to mess around selling. Just want to help the less fortunate without them having to pay a cent.
Suggestions be great.
To remove first post, remove entire topic.
Heading up to Seattle to move my mother's things out of her place. Some very nice items. Dishes, expensive clothing, furniture, washer/dryer etc.. I'd like to donate to needy families and avoid the scam donation organizations we all know about that turn a profit and scam the system.
Don't have time, patience or inclination to mess around selling. Just want to help the less fortunate without them having to pay a cent.
It may take a bit of leg work, but King county should have plenty of services available to facilitate you. The Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity might also work. Keep in mind though, all of these people know how to spot high end items, so the expensive stuff will most likely hit Craigslist anyways.
It may take a bit of leg work, but King county should have plenty of services available to facilitate you. The Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity might also work. Keep in mind though, all of these people know how to spot high end items, so the expensive stuff will most likely hit Craigslist anyways.
AFAIK, none of the big charities will give the physical items to needy people. They will all liquidate the items for cash by selling to thrift stores (or selling in their own stores like Goodwill). Your best bet might be a local church or something like that. Or sell the whole lot to someone and donate the cash.
AFAIK, none of the big charities will give the physical items to needy people. They will all liquidate the items for cash by selling to thrift stores (or selling in their own stores like Goodwill). Your best bet might be a local church or something like that. Or sell the whole lot to someone and donate the cash.
This would be an example of something I would donate those items to.
https://www.mhhousing.org
I don't know this organization and can't speak to them on any level, but it is the type of small non-profit with a clear population and vision that actually wants items that can help the people they serve.
When I was moving from one state to another I donated a lot of household items I didn't want to take with me to charity and often times they would come pick up large items like beds and couches. The savings in time and effort right there was worth it along with doing something good to help others.
What I did was call 211 which is an information service that should be run locally in your area that will be able to give you numbers on places of good places to donate to that hopefully will pick up the items for you.
I personally stayed away from Salvation Army and goodwill as I see them as being larger nonprofits that look to resell donate items for profit and are so large that the profits can go anywhere as so much of their work force is volunteer.
That is why I prefer the smaller non-profits with a clear mission and the items go directly to the people they serve to help them in their housing situation.
This would be an example of something I would donate those items to.
https://www.mhhousing.org
I don't know this organization and can't speak to them on any level, but it is the type of small non-profit with a clear population and vision that actually wants items that can help the people they serve.
When I was moving from one state to another I donated a lot of household items I didn't want to take with me to charity and often times they would come pick up large items like beds and couches. The savings in time and effort right there was worth it along with doing something good to help others.
What I did was call 211 which is an information service that should be run locally in your area that will be able to give you numbers on places of good places to donate to that hopefully will pick up the items for you.
I personally stayed away from Salvation Army and goodwill as I see them as being larger nonprofits that look to resell donate items for profit and are so large that the profits can go anywhere as so much of their work force is volunteer.
That is why I prefer the smaller non-profits with a clear mission and the items go directly to the people they serve to help them in their housing situation.