Posted:
#1
I've asked my accountant assistant who gave me a response that doesn't sound correct but what do I know.
My mother is on Medicaid and is in a nursing facility in the state of Washington. She has copd end stage and her time is limited to put it mildly. Recently she was notified by her attorney that they have a six figure check for her following a defective hip class action lawsuit.
Under Medicaid, she is not allowed to have more than 2k in her bank account. If she deposits the settlement check, the state would see it and she would lose Medicaid and have to pay for care privately. We don't want that.
As her DPOA, My thought is to endorese her check over to myself and deposit it into my bank account for her "quiet low radar" use. She can barely sit up, barely walk, hardly breath.
I am pissed that things ended up this way but I would sure like to see her have the money. Otherwise it'll just go straight down the toity.
Question:Would the IRS see the check in my account and go after her? I'm happy to pay the taxes on the funds but I do NOT the Medicaid folks seeing the check. Cannot risk that.
Thanks gentlemen. All guesses welcome.
