They can't afford to copy the model. If they do they'll become prey just like most carriers that turn little or no profit. SW sits and waits for route takeover.
My dad financed Sw first and 2nd fleet of airplanes. Called it the most impressive business model he's ever seen.
They can't afford to copy the model. If they do they'll become prey just like most carriers that turn little or no profit. SW sits and waits for route takeover.
My dad financed Sw first and 2nd fleet of airplanes. Called it the most impressive business model he's ever seen.
Ugly stewards/stewardesses that probably make minimum wage + free flight miles, Pilots that graduated with a D+, and I'm sure, the bottom-basement of mechanics. Think the grown up Rusty's job (Ed Helms) from the new National Lampoon's Vacation movie. They're the "Wal-Mart" of airlines.....
My answer:
Ugly stewards/stewardesses that probably make minimum wage + free flight miles, Pilots that graduated with a D+, and I'm sure, the bottom-basement of mechanics. Think the grown up Rusty's job (Ed Helms) from the new National Lampoon's Vacation movie. They're the "Wal-Mart" of airlines.....
Low beta airlines...they lock in future fuel contracts VERY long term and do not roll the dice like the other carriers.
In one way when times are good (low fuel cost, higher demand) they underperform due to this approach but in the reverse (higher fuel costs, lower demand) they can survive...unlike many of the others who have gone under several times due to leverage and not locking in futures contracts.
Low beta airlines...they lock in future fuel contracts VERY long term and do not roll the dice like the other carriers.
In one way when times are good (low fuel cost, higher demand) they underperform due to this approach but in the reverse (higher fuel costs, lower demand) they can survive...unlike many of the others who have gone under several times due to leverage and not locking in futures contracts.
SW is crap unless you're flying alone. I see the advertised $99 sales but they're never available when you look. I get better fares on Alaska with better service.
SW is crap unless you're flying alone. I see the advertised $99 sales but they're never available when you look. I get better fares on Alaska with better service.
What wallstreets says ... also ... they only fly the 737's ... flying only one type of aircraft cuts down on costs drastically. Only have to keep inventory parts of one type of aircraft ... operational simplicity ... aircraft interchangeability ... list goes on and on.
What wallstreets says ... also ... they only fly the 737's ... flying only one type of aircraft cuts down on costs drastically. Only have to keep inventory parts of one type of aircraft ... operational simplicity ... aircraft interchangeability ... list goes on and on.
[Quote: Originally Posted by THEMUGG] SW is crap unless you're flying alone. I see the advertised $99 sales but they're never available when you look. I get better fares on Alaska with better service. [/Quote
[Quote: Originally Posted by THEMUGG] SW is crap unless you're flying alone. I see the advertised $99 sales but they're never available when you look. I get better fares on Alaska with better service. [/Quote
40 consecutive years of profitability in an industry that has seen companies come/go/merge is outstanding. They get you on & off their planes quickly & in some cases with your baggage waiting for you when at the baggage area.
They have a culture like no other in the industry & I compare their employees to those at Costco who have one of the lowest employee turnover rates in the retail industry. Costco is another "no frills" company that actually takes a loss on their rotisserie chicken & $1.50 hotdog/soda combo to maintain customer loyalty.
The management of these 2 companies have provided stability & consistency. So why do so few other companies follow their lead?
Kursh...will be hammering Gulfstream soon.
40 consecutive years of profitability in an industry that has seen companies come/go/merge is outstanding. They get you on & off their planes quickly & in some cases with your baggage waiting for you when at the baggage area.
They have a culture like no other in the industry & I compare their employees to those at Costco who have one of the lowest employee turnover rates in the retail industry. Costco is another "no frills" company that actually takes a loss on their rotisserie chicken & $1.50 hotdog/soda combo to maintain customer loyalty.
The management of these 2 companies have provided stability & consistency. So why do so few other companies follow their lead?
Absolutely detest flying. The flight is fine, but getting through tsa in logan SUCKS.... I liked amtrack but a sleeper is as much as first class tickets from Chicago to Vegas don't really mind the short bus ride at the end.... so it's by car for me. Last time I was in loan it took nearly three hours to board spirit airlines the flight was 45 minutes .... TSA should stand for totally screwing airline companies, cause the initial displeasure sticks with someone .
Absolutely detest flying. The flight is fine, but getting through tsa in logan SUCKS.... I liked amtrack but a sleeper is as much as first class tickets from Chicago to Vegas don't really mind the short bus ride at the end.... so it's by car for me. Last time I was in loan it took nearly three hours to board spirit airlines the flight was 45 minutes .... TSA should stand for totally screwing airline companies, cause the initial displeasure sticks with someone .