• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    question about an investment opportunity ...

    Hugh_Jorgan
    TheGoldenGoose
    HockeyTeeth
    hillardoh1
    BIGfnPOO
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1430
    Posts: 19
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 - 8:12 PM ET #1

    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.

    I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.

    There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. 

    My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. 
    So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.
    Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.

    The margins are pretty good.
    I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.

    Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.

    I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.

    There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. 

    My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. 
    So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.
    Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.

    The margins are pretty good.
    I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.

    Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 - 9:35 PM ET #2


    Still a lot of volatility in bitcoin but that shouldn't concern your end of the business.  You are like the vendor who sold prospecting pans during the Gold Rush.  Your end turns a profit no matter what happens.  Right or Wrong?
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Still a lot of volatility in bitcoin but that shouldn't concern your end of the business.  You are like the vendor who sold prospecting pans during the Gold Rush.  Your end turns a profit no matter what happens.  Right or Wrong?
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 - 9:46 PM ET #3

    Goose, that would be correct.
    I am unaffected by the price swings.

    I'm curious if anyone has any insight into the regulatory aspect of bitcoin, or any other cryptocurrencies. 
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Goose, that would be correct.
    I am unaffected by the price swings.

    I'm curious if anyone has any insight into the regulatory aspect of bitcoin, or any other cryptocurrencies. 
     
    HockeyTeeth
    HockeyTeeth
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2005
    Posts: 3675
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 - 10:41 PM ET #4

    I think they are heavily regulated due to the potential for money laundering. 

    Bitcoin ATMs and the regulations that impact them are getting a lot of attention lately. In effort to try and educate Bitcoin ATM operator hopefuls, I’ve compiled a knowledge dump of what I have learned since I began looking into this (August 2013). I wish I could have understood all this from the beginning. It would have saved me months and thousands of dollars.

    Federal:
    The main objective of regulation at the Federal level is to prevent money laundering. The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) defined Bitcoin exchanges as Money Services Businesses (MSBs), further, they are defined as a Money Transmitter which is a type of MSB. As such, they are subject to the requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA). The BSA requires MSBs and other forms of money transmitters to create, maintain, and follow an Anti-money laundering (AML) program. The MSB also must appoint an AML compliance officer. The AML program defines how the MSB will, by way of business rules and processes, comply with the BSA. That typically includes how they identify their customers and record the activity of each one within the scope of the business. If that activity crosses certain thresholds (as defined by the AML program), reports such as Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) must be submitted to FinCEN. Registration is required at the Federal level (unlike the state level in which operators must apply for a license) and is pretty simple. You simply sign up on the website. Done. They don’t worry about you unless an issue comes up.
    Reply
    I think they are heavily regulated due to the potential for money laundering. 

    Bitcoin ATMs and the regulations that impact them are getting a lot of attention lately. In effort to try and educate Bitcoin ATM operator hopefuls, I’ve compiled a knowledge dump of what I have learned since I began looking into this (August 2013). I wish I could have understood all this from the beginning. It would have saved me months and thousands of dollars.

    Federal:
    The main objective of regulation at the Federal level is to prevent money laundering. The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) defined Bitcoin exchanges as Money Services Businesses (MSBs), further, they are defined as a Money Transmitter which is a type of MSB. As such, they are subject to the requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA). The BSA requires MSBs and other forms of money transmitters to create, maintain, and follow an Anti-money laundering (AML) program. The MSB also must appoint an AML compliance officer. The AML program defines how the MSB will, by way of business rules and processes, comply with the BSA. That typically includes how they identify their customers and record the activity of each one within the scope of the business. If that activity crosses certain thresholds (as defined by the AML program), reports such as Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) must be submitted to FinCEN. Registration is required at the Federal level (unlike the state level in which operators must apply for a license) and is pretty simple. You simply sign up on the website. Done. They don’t worry about you unless an issue comes up.
     
    HockeyTeeth
    HockeyTeeth
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2005
    Posts: 3675
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 - 10:44 PM ET #5

    Grabbed the above info off a forum, there is more but the provided link failed.
    Reply
    Grabbed the above info off a forum, there is more but the provided link failed.
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 7:10 AM ET #6

    Hockey ... I appreciate it 

    I'm familiar with FINCEN and MSB's and the federally mandated compliance issues because I deal with that in another business that I have. 

    Anyone have a feel if the Fed might try to ban bitcoin at some point?
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Hockey ... I appreciate it 

    I'm familiar with FINCEN and MSB's and the federally mandated compliance issues because I deal with that in another business that I have. 

    Anyone have a feel if the Fed might try to ban bitcoin at some point?
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 1:56 PM ET #7


    I absolutely 100% agree with faceoff... Hit'em and Run. 
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    I absolutely 100% agree with faceoff... Hit'em and Run. 
     
    hillardoh1
    hillardoh1
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 2669
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 2:18 PM ET #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.

    I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.

    There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. 

    My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. 
    So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.
    Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.

    The margins are pretty good.
    I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.

    Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me
    truth is if you form a LLC company and own the bitcoin machines out right chances are you will get a tax deductions for owning the machines and any repairs you get done to the machines or cost of doing businesness such as buying paper for the machine or parts or paying a repairman. Im not a tax person so consult your tax advisor. ALSO since bitcoin is new and no one as far as the law of the united states goverment is concerned can define what bitcoin is it is a sketchy business. No one knows is it a commodity or a currency by definition of the law.  Also there so much financial problems that could arise when you own the machines such as money laundering, washing dirty money. Dealing with the rico act. Im not saying you are doing a dirty business im saying you could be caught up in something sketchy because of someone elses dirty business. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.

    I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.

    There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. 

    My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. 
    So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.
    Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.

    The margins are pretty good.
    I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.

    Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me
    truth is if you form a LLC company and own the bitcoin machines out right chances are you will get a tax deductions for owning the machines and any repairs you get done to the machines or cost of doing businesness such as buying paper for the machine or parts or paying a repairman. Im not a tax person so consult your tax advisor. ALSO since bitcoin is new and no one as far as the law of the united states goverment is concerned can define what bitcoin is it is a sketchy business. No one knows is it a commodity or a currency by definition of the law.  Also there so much financial problems that could arise when you own the machines such as money laundering, washing dirty money. Dealing with the rico act. Im not saying you are doing a dirty business im saying you could be caught up in something sketchy because of someone elses dirty business. 
     
    hillardoh1
    hillardoh1
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 2669
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 2:35 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    Hockey ... I appreciate it 

    I'm familiar with FINCEN and MSB's and the federally mandated compliance issues because I deal with that in another business that I have. 

    Anyone have a feel if the Fed might try to ban bitcoin at some point?
    They could try to ban it or try to slow it down. Look what happening in the country of venezuela. The country just defaulted on it debt. But people are gladly accepting bitcoin if you can mine it or accept but the goverment is shutting down electricity saying people are using too much to mine bitcoin.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    Hockey ... I appreciate it 

    I'm familiar with FINCEN and MSB's and the federally mandated compliance issues because I deal with that in another business that I have. 

    Anyone have a feel if the Fed might try to ban bitcoin at some point?
    They could try to ban it or try to slow it down. Look what happening in the country of venezuela. The country just defaulted on it debt. But people are gladly accepting bitcoin if you can mine it or accept but the goverment is shutting down electricity saying people are using too much to mine bitcoin.
     
    BIGfnPOO
    BIGfnPOO
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2006
    Posts: 18880
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 3:38 PM ET #10

    switerland is opening a btc bank, and china and japan is using it ...get down hugh....i want to do the las vegas route for you....D casino accepts Bitcoin in the casino....you can buy a yacht with BTc..get down,im ahead on it and got some ETH to boot..
    bigFnPOO
    Reply
    switerland is opening a btc bank, and china and japan is using it ...get down hugh....i want to do the las vegas route for you....D casino accepts Bitcoin in the casino....you can buy a yacht with BTc..get down,im ahead on it and got some ETH to boot..
     
    BIGfnPOO
    BIGfnPOO
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2006
    Posts: 18880
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 3:39 PM ET #11

    john morgan and other bankers nay say it,yet scoop it up quietly..
    bigFnPOO
    Reply
    john morgan and other bankers nay say it,yet scoop it up quietly..
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Nov. 14, 2017 - 6:27 PM ET #12


    Hugh_Jorgan from Millionaire to Billionaire.   
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    Hugh_Jorgan from Millionaire to Billionaire.   
     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Jan. 12, 2018 - 9:24 AM ET #13


    HJ:  Update please.  What happened?
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    HJ:  Update please.  What happened?
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Jan. 12, 2018 - 8:48 PM ET #14

    Goose, the state of CT has some significant barriers to entry for this particular business, which is why there is not a single bitcoin ATM in the state as of yet.

    NY, which has a couple of hundred bitcoin ATMs installed, has a licensing program in place, which is fine with me.

    I won't bore you with all the details, but in CT the application fee is $5000, and then they can turn down your application for absolutely no reason whatsoever. 
    They also require you to have a full time compliance officer on staff who is licensed in FINCEN and MSB. A person such as this would command a 6 figure salary ... and I don't have a single ATM installed yet.

    There are other issues with the CT licensing process as well.

    With all this said, I am still trying to get in.
    Recently met with a large company in NY who has all the necessities already in place. Trying to partner up with them for CT.

    Should know in the next couple of weeks if we can come to an agreement.
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Goose, the state of CT has some significant barriers to entry for this particular business, which is why there is not a single bitcoin ATM in the state as of yet.

    NY, which has a couple of hundred bitcoin ATMs installed, has a licensing program in place, which is fine with me.

    I won't bore you with all the details, but in CT the application fee is $5000, and then they can turn down your application for absolutely no reason whatsoever. 
    They also require you to have a full time compliance officer on staff who is licensed in FINCEN and MSB. A person such as this would command a 6 figure salary ... and I don't have a single ATM installed yet.

    There are other issues with the CT licensing process as well.

    With all this said, I am still trying to get in.
    Recently met with a large company in NY who has all the necessities already in place. Trying to partner up with them for CT.

    Should know in the next couple of weeks if we can come to an agreement.
     
    666LES
    666LES
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 4321
    Posted: Jan. 13, 2018 - 10:35 AM ET #15

    Just as NY is 1 of the worst places to do Business (IMO) as far as Taxes,Regulations, etc. it sure seems Conn. doesn't want your business.
    Reply
    Just as NY is 1 of the worst places to do Business (IMO) as far as Taxes,Regulations, etc. it sure seems Conn. doesn't want your business.
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Jan. 14, 2018 - 9:30 AM ET #16

    LES, having owned small businesses in both NY and CT for the last 35 years, I will point out the most significant difference between the 2 states.

    NY wants you to do business so they can tax/fee the living hell out of you.

    CT doesn't want you to do business.

    CT's barrier to entry for any new business is so far beyond what is reasonable that it has become absurd.

    Years ago the fed deregulated the payphone industry because it was rightfully deemed a monopoly for the local bell companies.
    CT still refused to allow private payphone operators in the state for years after the fed passed their ruling.
    CT was the last state in the country to finally allow private operators in, and even then the licensing process was arduous, and needlessly overbearing. 

    CT has not been business-friendly for many years, and now they are reaping the penalty for that which they have sewn.
    Businesses have been fleeing CT for years, and the state is facing its worst financial crisis in history.
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    LES, having owned small businesses in both NY and CT for the last 35 years, I will point out the most significant difference between the 2 states.

    NY wants you to do business so they can tax/fee the living hell out of you.

    CT doesn't want you to do business.

    CT's barrier to entry for any new business is so far beyond what is reasonable that it has become absurd.

    Years ago the fed deregulated the payphone industry because it was rightfully deemed a monopoly for the local bell companies.
    CT still refused to allow private payphone operators in the state for years after the fed passed their ruling.
    CT was the last state in the country to finally allow private operators in, and even then the licensing process was arduous, and needlessly overbearing. 

    CT has not been business-friendly for many years, and now they are reaping the penalty for that which they have sewn.
    Businesses have been fleeing CT for years, and the state is facing its worst financial crisis in history.
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Jan. 14, 2018 - 9:32 AM ET #17

    sewn = sown 
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    sewn = sown 
     
    Qwan61
    Qwan61
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2016
    Posts: 1882
    Posted: Jan. 15, 2018 - 6:13 PM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.The margins are pretty good.I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me

     

    Hugh, I am way late on this but beware of the fed coin. Essentially, I think the feds will make it illegal to do transaction with other alt coins.

    I cant find the article but the feds just today are mulling over bringing on the fed coin. When it will happen? Cash and other payment methods will probably not be allowed.

     

    https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/fedcoin-could-be-coming-soon-would-it-really-challenge-bitcoin/

     

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan:

    I had a meeting on Saturday with a company who wants to give me an exclusive territory to place bitcoin ATM's.I have been in business for many years, and have an existing distribution network in place, thus why they approached me with this offer.There are 2 types of Bitcoin ATM's. 1 only sells bitcoin, the other sells and also will purchase bitcoin. My first concern is that the US Govt will ban bitcoin, rendering my new business useless. So I got the manufacturer of the ATM to agree to allow me to lease them.Costs me more over time, but at least I won't have any outlay of my own cash should this go belly up.The margins are pretty good.I'm already setup for the deployment and maintenance of the ATM's.Can anyone think of potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?The whole bitcoin thing is still very new to me

     

    Hugh, I am way late on this but beware of the fed coin. Essentially, I think the feds will make it illegal to do transaction with other alt coins.

    I cant find the article but the feds just today are mulling over bringing on the fed coin. When it will happen? Cash and other payment methods will probably not be allowed.

     

    https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/fedcoin-could-be-coming-soon-would-it-really-challenge-bitcoin/

     

     
     
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hugh_Jorgan
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 22961
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2018 - 8:04 AM ET #19

    Qwan,

    That's a very interesting article.

    Amazing how many contradictions there are within the idea of a gov't sponsored fed coin. 

    The reality of bitcoin and other current crypto's is that no one truly knows what will happen with them. Those who trade in it are simply gambling in a high risk - high reward game.

    I have been reading the thread on this site discussing bitcoin as a legitimate form of currency, and understand your stance on the subject. I also understand the stance of guys like vanzack. 

    The reality is, there are way too many variables for anyone to truly know with certainty what will become of bitcoin and the cryptocurrency market.

    As per the article you linked, my opinion is that cryptocurrency will only continue to exist if the government's are involved and in control.

    Regulation ... it's coming. That you can be sure of.
    bigreds daddy
    Reply
    Qwan,

    That's a very interesting article.

    Amazing how many contradictions there are within the idea of a gov't sponsored fed coin. 

    The reality of bitcoin and other current crypto's is that no one truly knows what will happen with them. Those who trade in it are simply gambling in a high risk - high reward game.

    I have been reading the thread on this site discussing bitcoin as a legitimate form of currency, and understand your stance on the subject. I also understand the stance of guys like vanzack. 

    The reality is, there are way too many variables for anyone to truly know with certainty what will become of bitcoin and the cryptocurrency market.

    As per the article you linked, my opinion is that cryptocurrency will only continue to exist if the government's are involved and in control.

    Regulation ... it's coming. That you can be sure of.
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,900
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,616
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 446
    • MLB Playoffs 16,976
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,315
    • PART DEUX 140
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,366
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,272
    • How low can Trump go ? 29,155
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 234

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.