I really like reading the Guardian and the New York Times but I can't bring myself to "contribute" or pay for the NYT (its so easy to get past their free article "block" anyway).
Does anybody here pay for news/read news anymore/just rely on Facebook for updates?
To remove first post, remove entire topic.
I really like reading the Guardian and the New York Times but I can't bring myself to "contribute" or pay for the NYT (its so easy to get past their free article "block" anyway).
Does anybody here pay for news/read news anymore/just rely on Facebook for updates?
I would pay for quality reads but I think they ask too much cash.
If they're going to get greedy they will be wiped out like the dinosaurs.
Goose-They are dinosaurs. The Boston Globe is literally giving the paper away with "special offers" just so they can tell advertisers that someone is reading it. Still, no one wants it, which explains why Red Sox owner John Henry was able to buy the Globe for $70 million, less than the market value of the real estate where the paper is located, AND, a boatload less than the $1.1 billion the New York Times paid for it.........in 1993. Now there's an investment for you. Come to think of it, I'll bet the Times is still claiming one of those pesky net operating losses they're so fond of complaining about when they speculate about the president's taxes.
Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:
I would pay for quality reads but I think they ask too much cash.
If they're going to get greedy they will be wiped out like the dinosaurs.
Goose-They are dinosaurs. The Boston Globe is literally giving the paper away with "special offers" just so they can tell advertisers that someone is reading it. Still, no one wants it, which explains why Red Sox owner John Henry was able to buy the Globe for $70 million, less than the market value of the real estate where the paper is located, AND, a boatload less than the $1.1 billion the New York Times paid for it.........in 1993. Now there's an investment for you. Come to think of it, I'll bet the Times is still claiming one of those pesky net operating losses they're so fond of complaining about when they speculate about the president's taxes.
There's far to many online newspapers on the fringes to give you the content for free. Occasionally I will donate to them if they are asking but that's it.
Guardian is the best of the best.
But paying for it?
There's far to many online newspapers on the fringes to give you the content for free. Occasionally I will donate to them if they are asking but that's it.
I don't read the New York Times b/c it's Liberal filth (had to do case studies from NYT articles in a couple of my classes as an undergrad.), but the WSJ is another newspaper that you have to pay to read their articles online.
I was able to get around paying for it by "Subscribing" (this is without pay) to their LinkedIn page. I get free WSJ articles for free through my feed.
I don't know about The Guardian or the NYT, but The Economist and WSJ offer multiple free articles every hour if you are on LinkedIn and "subscribe" to their page.
Hope this helps
I don't read the New York Times b/c it's Liberal filth (had to do case studies from NYT articles in a couple of my classes as an undergrad.), but the WSJ is another newspaper that you have to pay to read their articles online.
I was able to get around paying for it by "Subscribing" (this is without pay) to their LinkedIn page. I get free WSJ articles for free through my feed.
I don't know about The Guardian or the NYT, but The Economist and WSJ offer multiple free articles every hour if you are on LinkedIn and "subscribe" to their page.
I read a ton of newspapers. I have found that regularly deleting my cookies, reading on multiple devices at multiple locations seems to work pretty well. The Washington Post has incredible reporting on Drumpf, subscribe to their Daily 202 newsletter - it's free and summarizes all of their hard news articles.
Some mouth breathers who can't tell the difference between hard news and the opinion page don't like the Post. They aren't very bright. Bloomberg news is also unbiased and is totally free (if anything, their bias is toward brokers).
I read a ton of newspapers. I have found that regularly deleting my cookies, reading on multiple devices at multiple locations seems to work pretty well. The Washington Post has incredible reporting on Drumpf, subscribe to their Daily 202 newsletter - it's free and summarizes all of their hard news articles.
Some mouth breathers who can't tell the difference between hard news and the opinion page don't like the Post. They aren't very bright. Bloomberg news is also unbiased and is totally free (if anything, their bias is toward brokers).
I've given up on anything NY Times since this last election cycle and the Gray Old Lady had to change her Masthead to The Irrelevant New York Times.
I'm out and about early Sunday mornings and in the coffee shop I use there are stacks of Sunday NY Times that are reserved.What does a Sunday NY Times go for ? 10 or 12 bucks?
I've given up on anything NY Times since this last election cycle and the Gray Old Lady had to change her Masthead to The Irrelevant New York Times.
I'm out and about early Sunday mornings and in the coffee shop I use there are stacks of Sunday NY Times that are reserved.What does a Sunday NY Times go for ? 10 or 12 bucks?
I've given up on anything NY Times since this last election cycle and the Gray Old Lady had to change her Masthead to The Irrelevant New York Times.
I'm out and about early Sunday mornings and in the coffee shop I use there are stacks of Sunday NY Times that are reserved.What does a Sunday NY Times go for ? 10 or 12 bucks?
I think $3-4. I haven't bought one in a while. NY Times doesn't seem to understand that apps like iPhone News and Amazon-friendly NewsHog give away their content for free. Washington Post and LA Times have figured that out, though, so it's probably only a matter of time.
Quote Originally Posted by 666LES:
I've given up on anything NY Times since this last election cycle and the Gray Old Lady had to change her Masthead to The Irrelevant New York Times.
I'm out and about early Sunday mornings and in the coffee shop I use there are stacks of Sunday NY Times that are reserved.What does a Sunday NY Times go for ? 10 or 12 bucks?
I think $3-4. I haven't bought one in a while. NY Times doesn't seem to understand that apps like iPhone News and Amazon-friendly NewsHog give away their content for free. Washington Post and LA Times have figured that out, though, so it's probably only a matter of time.