• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    july 20th 1969

    Box and one
    StumpTownStu
    DB51daBEARS
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 197
    Posts: 11
     
    Box and one
    Box and one
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 1999
    Posts: 1604
    Posted: Jul. 20, 2023 - 11:44 PM ET #1

    Ok it did It was 55 years ago and I can remember the date so clearly.
    It was 1969 and only 3 weeks before I just graduated high school I had a summer job working at an amusement park Rye Beach Playland in Westchester County NY . I worked the boardwalk overlooking the Long Island Sound during the day and at night time moved into the park at the Banana Split Stand. In the afternoon I was at the banana stand when on the PA in the park they went to a CBS live radio feed of Walter Cronkite doing the space capsule landing on the moons surface. As the PA announced the lunar landing 100 feet 50 feet etc I stopped making my Banana Boat { a bigger split} and looked over to my fellow buddy Marty Marano and stopped making the split. The guy at the counter yelled at me and said " sonny where is my split"? I politicly said " sir Man just landed on the moon and we will always remember where we were years from now. " The guy looked at me and said " sonny just give me my banana split " As I put the ice cream and toppings on his split I said something to Marty like I will always remember where I was when man landed on the moon. And this guy only cares about his Boat.
    That was 55 years ago. Marty has since passed away and being 18 and ready to leave NY and go to North Texas State Univ I was so excited . I had worked at Playland for 3 summers and this would be my last year working and making banana splits . Man just landed on the moon and this guy is upset because I paused making his split. But even though the Modular landed on the moon Neil Armstrong didn't take his famous walk yet They went to sleep for awhile after the landinging . Later on Neil came down from his ladder and made the famous line " one small step for mankind or one giant leap for mankind. " I look back today 55 years ago and think of those people I worked with and asked my wife who I am going to meet in another year " do your remember where you were 55 years ago today "? She answered she would be a senior in HS in Paris Texas Its funny after we met and had 3 daughters and one son and now 7 grandchildren I am back in Texas.
    Robert Frost wrote a famous poem called " Birches " In it he says " I'd like to get away from Earth awhile and then often come back to it and then begin all over " I'm not sure if I agree with Frost. I don't want to start all over I have led a good life have a great family and really wouldn't change anything in my life . My youth and growing up was just a path that I was lucky to have and had unreal parental support I hopefully can pass down to my grandchildren some of that. So Mr Frost other then making a few basketball adjustments in losing 3 NY state Basketball finals I don't want to begin it all over. So 55 years ago I knew where I was and what I was doing that day Peace to all of you and stay healthy

    box and one
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    Ok it did It was 55 years ago and I can remember the date so clearly.
    It was 1969 and only 3 weeks before I just graduated high school I had a summer job working at an amusement park Rye Beach Playland in Westchester County NY . I worked the boardwalk overlooking the Long Island Sound during the day and at night time moved into the park at the Banana Split Stand. In the afternoon I was at the banana stand when on the PA in the park they went to a CBS live radio feed of Walter Cronkite doing the space capsule landing on the moons surface. As the PA announced the lunar landing 100 feet 50 feet etc I stopped making my Banana Boat { a bigger split} and looked over to my fellow buddy Marty Marano and stopped making the split. The guy at the counter yelled at me and said " sonny where is my split"? I politicly said " sir Man just landed on the moon and we will always remember where we were years from now. " The guy looked at me and said " sonny just give me my banana split " As I put the ice cream and toppings on his split I said something to Marty like I will always remember where I was when man landed on the moon. And this guy only cares about his Boat.
    That was 55 years ago. Marty has since passed away and being 18 and ready to leave NY and go to North Texas State Univ I was so excited . I had worked at Playland for 3 summers and this would be my last year working and making banana splits . Man just landed on the moon and this guy is upset because I paused making his split. But even though the Modular landed on the moon Neil Armstrong didn't take his famous walk yet They went to sleep for awhile after the landinging . Later on Neil came down from his ladder and made the famous line " one small step for mankind or one giant leap for mankind. " I look back today 55 years ago and think of those people I worked with and asked my wife who I am going to meet in another year " do your remember where you were 55 years ago today "? She answered she would be a senior in HS in Paris Texas Its funny after we met and had 3 daughters and one son and now 7 grandchildren I am back in Texas.
    Robert Frost wrote a famous poem called " Birches " In it he says " I'd like to get away from Earth awhile and then often come back to it and then begin all over " I'm not sure if I agree with Frost. I don't want to start all over I have led a good life have a great family and really wouldn't change anything in my life . My youth and growing up was just a path that I was lucky to have and had unreal parental support I hopefully can pass down to my grandchildren some of that. So Mr Frost other then making a few basketball adjustments in losing 3 NY state Basketball finals I don't want to begin it all over. So 55 years ago I knew where I was and what I was doing that day Peace to all of you and stay healthy

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 21, 2023 - 3:39 AM ET #2

    A good friend of mine is from Harrison and always talks about Rye Playland from his childhood. They filmed the carnival scenes from the Tom Hanks movie "Big" there.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    A good friend of mine is from Harrison and always talks about Rye Playland from his childhood. They filmed the carnival scenes from the Tom Hanks movie "Big" there.

     
    Box and one
    Box and one
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 1999
    Posts: 1604
    Posted: Jul. 21, 2023 - 10:25 AM ET #3

     The movie scene from Big was the boardwalk I worked at  Zoltar the machine was right in front of my stand. You can see my stand when they filmed it  But Fatal Attraction when she kidnaps Micheal Douglas child and takes him or  her to Playland for the day is my stand and the cash register is in the movie   Harrison is the next town over  from Rye . I lived in Mamaroneck between Harrison and Rye . I worked 5 summers at Rye Beach Playland   Also missed Woodstock because I wanted to make extra money that weekend All my buddies went to Woodstock but I stayed at Playland making my $1.25 an hour.  Think my boss added another 25 cents an hour because so many workers took the weekend off for Woodstock  What a fool I was and all I heard from all my friends was Woodstock stories .  Two of my buddies walk across the screen in the movie " Woodstock "  A dumb choice on my part because these guys still talk about it that weekend.  They will tell a story and include me in it  Then one of them will say " oh I forgot box wasn't there " 

    box and one
    Reply

     The movie scene from Big was the boardwalk I worked at  Zoltar the machine was right in front of my stand. You can see my stand when they filmed it  But Fatal Attraction when she kidnaps Micheal Douglas child and takes him or  her to Playland for the day is my stand and the cash register is in the movie   Harrison is the next town over  from Rye . I lived in Mamaroneck between Harrison and Rye . I worked 5 summers at Rye Beach Playland   Also missed Woodstock because I wanted to make extra money that weekend All my buddies went to Woodstock but I stayed at Playland making my $1.25 an hour.  Think my boss added another 25 cents an hour because so many workers took the weekend off for Woodstock  What a fool I was and all I heard from all my friends was Woodstock stories .  Two of my buddies walk across the screen in the movie " Woodstock "  A dumb choice on my part because these guys still talk about it that weekend.  They will tell a story and include me in it  Then one of them will say " oh I forgot box wasn't there " 

     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 21, 2023 - 2:47 PM ET #4

    @Box and one

     He talks about Mamaroneck too.

    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply

    @Box and one

     He talks about Mamaroneck too.

     
    DB51daBEARS
    DB51daBEARS
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2016
    Posts: 4135
    Posted: Jul. 22, 2023 - 10:44 AM ET #5

    Hey Box...great story, as with all your reminisinces!

    Yep, always called it "Rye Beach" for me and my friends lol.  Can still remember 7th and 8th grade our parochial school had a bus ride for us to Playland at the end of the school year.  Great memories, too, when I was older and driving...especially the dragon coaster and the bumper cars.

    Thanks, buddy...and BOL for Fall sports betting!  You, too, Stump...BOL this Fall with sports betting!

    Cheers an_cheers

     

    Reply

    Hey Box...great story, as with all your reminisinces!

    Yep, always called it "Rye Beach" for me and my friends lol.  Can still remember 7th and 8th grade our parochial school had a bus ride for us to Playland at the end of the school year.  Great memories, too, when I was older and driving...especially the dragon coaster and the bumper cars.

    Thanks, buddy...and BOL for Fall sports betting!  You, too, Stump...BOL this Fall with sports betting!

    Cheers an_cheers

     

     
    Box and one
    Box and one
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 1999
    Posts: 1604
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2023 - 1:43 AM ET #6

    Playland was the real name but many of us that grew up in Westchester called it Rye beach .  We hated the buses that came up because from camps or schools they were loaded with kids. I would work on the boardwalk from 10.am till about 2 or 3  Then they would move me to the park at the banana split stand.   worked there from afternoon till 10 or 11 when the park closed. I worked 7 days a week ,10-12 hours a day. Crazy days but I was a hard worker. Minimum wage was $1.20 then $1.25  Then $1.35   My boss would give me another 50 cents an hour off the books  since I opened up the boardwalk every morning.I really ended up at North Texas because a Westchester County cop who worked at Playland for the summer was in his 3rd year at North Texas and was in there education department,. He convinced me that NT had a strong Phys ed program and teacher certification program. My father wanted me to go to Manhattan College in Riverdale in the Bronx and live with my aunt and uncle on 154th St. no way.  I  was turned down by  SUNY Cortland which was the best PE school other then Springfield . So I headed south to North Texas  Strange how life works. I majored in PE- History was certified in Drivers ed 1st aid , K-12 PE and Health  My father made me get all these certifications and when I graduated NT got a teaching and coaching position in Orange County NY high  school and ,drivers ed was the deciding factor  When I retired here in Austin after 41 years in NY  my daughter who teachers here put my SS# number in the Texas Teachers certification web site. And I am still certified here in Texas except for my administration certification . That I got at New Paltz SUNY  with a masters years later. But working at Playland those summers really guided me through my entire life. I can still cut a banana in half ,split it in two put it on a plate and never ever touch the banana and the peel goes into the garbage on one motion   lol  thanks DB be safe   

    box and one
    Reply

    Playland was the real name but many of us that grew up in Westchester called it Rye beach .  We hated the buses that came up because from camps or schools they were loaded with kids. I would work on the boardwalk from 10.am till about 2 or 3  Then they would move me to the park at the banana split stand.   worked there from afternoon till 10 or 11 when the park closed. I worked 7 days a week ,10-12 hours a day. Crazy days but I was a hard worker. Minimum wage was $1.20 then $1.25  Then $1.35   My boss would give me another 50 cents an hour off the books  since I opened up the boardwalk every morning.I really ended up at North Texas because a Westchester County cop who worked at Playland for the summer was in his 3rd year at North Texas and was in there education department,. He convinced me that NT had a strong Phys ed program and teacher certification program. My father wanted me to go to Manhattan College in Riverdale in the Bronx and live with my aunt and uncle on 154th St. no way.  I  was turned down by  SUNY Cortland which was the best PE school other then Springfield . So I headed south to North Texas  Strange how life works. I majored in PE- History was certified in Drivers ed 1st aid , K-12 PE and Health  My father made me get all these certifications and when I graduated NT got a teaching and coaching position in Orange County NY high  school and ,drivers ed was the deciding factor  When I retired here in Austin after 41 years in NY  my daughter who teachers here put my SS# number in the Texas Teachers certification web site. And I am still certified here in Texas except for my administration certification . That I got at New Paltz SUNY  with a masters years later. But working at Playland those summers really guided me through my entire life. I can still cut a banana in half ,split it in two put it on a plate and never ever touch the banana and the peel goes into the garbage on one motion   lol  thanks DB be safe   

     
    DB51daBEARS
    DB51daBEARS
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2016
    Posts: 4135
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2023 - 10:59 AM ET #7

    Hey Box...lol...great stuff...you're the best (and your dad was a heckuva guy to have as a role model - no disrespect to your mom)!!!

    I'm a Bronx Boy as well, and I stayed home and became a proud Jasper!  My brother was in Nam and my parents never drove so I guess I got the guilt thing and figured I needed to be closer to home to help them when they needed it.  No regrets!!!

    You too, box...be safe!

    Cheers bud  an_cheers

    Reply

    Hey Box...lol...great stuff...you're the best (and your dad was a heckuva guy to have as a role model - no disrespect to your mom)!!!

    I'm a Bronx Boy as well, and I stayed home and became a proud Jasper!  My brother was in Nam and my parents never drove so I guess I got the guilt thing and figured I needed to be closer to home to help them when they needed it.  No regrets!!!

    You too, box...be safe!

    Cheers bud  an_cheers

     
    Box and one
    Box and one
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 1999
    Posts: 1604
    Posted: Jul. 25, 2023 - 10:12 PM ET #8

    DB51 probably the hardest thing I ever did was tell my father I didn't want to be a Jasper.I understood the reason why but they didn't have a great PE program didn't want to live with my mothers sister on 154th street and my father did understand that but his pride in Manhattan College was unreal. He was a member of the "tip in club" [ basketball club} and was the 1st member of the Bronx neighborhood { 187th street, Fordham rd to be offered a full scholarship  He was number 1 in his graduating class at Teddy Roosevelt HS, was offered a full academic ride to Fordham but Fordham gave his scholarship away to the No 2  Roosevelt . He  lived  about 2 blocks from the University and they gave his scholarship away to the No 2 Irish graduate. The Italian Mt Carmel Community was up in arms and Bishop Perricone met with the Jesuits at Fordham and were forced to offer my father the scholarship . But Manhattan College heard of the problem and offered the full scholarship . My grandfather and many others thought it was racial offering it to an Irishmen over an Italian . My father never ever talked about the mafia and he hated that  because many thought most italian immigrants were associated with them but he did say to me once that it took the Jesuits more then Bishop Perricone  talk to convince Fordham to change their minds and offer him the full ride  Anyway my grandfather was thick headed and made him go to Manhattan College / He graduated in the class of 1936 got a teaching job at Teddy R as a Italian- Spanish  Teacher and then when WW 2 came he went to officers training school and became a member of AMG [allied Military Government] and served in North Africa and Italy during the war. When the war was over in 1945 he stayed in Italy with AMG and investigated the Andratine  Cave Massacre and was involved changing the Italian education system from Fascism to Democracy . When he came back to the Bronx something called the UN[ United nations } was forming.  He was hired for the UN and for the next 31 years worked for the UN. He was assigned to UNEF and headquarters was Naples and Pisa Italy  He served in the Gaza Strip  Congo  Cuba . I grew up at camp Darby a US army base in Livorno and went to school there for 10 years. After he retired from the UN Albany NY sent his his teaching certification from 1936  He was a permanent sub at Oradell HS in NJ for the next 10 years. At the age of 89 he had a stroke and passed away. He wore his Manhattan College ring his whole life and at the wake my mother and I argued over to bury him with the ring. I won and everyday since he passed away touch his Manhattan green stone ring and think of him. I wish he got to see me become a HS principal and see my career  but he was a part of it with his dna. I tell my grandkids stories about my career,teaching coaching etc but my fathers doesn't compare to his legacy..   But my 4 children got to be a part of his life and hopefully they can pass on some of that to my grandchildren . 

    box and one
    Reply

    DB51 probably the hardest thing I ever did was tell my father I didn't want to be a Jasper.I understood the reason why but they didn't have a great PE program didn't want to live with my mothers sister on 154th street and my father did understand that but his pride in Manhattan College was unreal. He was a member of the "tip in club" [ basketball club} and was the 1st member of the Bronx neighborhood { 187th street, Fordham rd to be offered a full scholarship  He was number 1 in his graduating class at Teddy Roosevelt HS, was offered a full academic ride to Fordham but Fordham gave his scholarship away to the No 2  Roosevelt . He  lived  about 2 blocks from the University and they gave his scholarship away to the No 2 Irish graduate. The Italian Mt Carmel Community was up in arms and Bishop Perricone met with the Jesuits at Fordham and were forced to offer my father the scholarship . But Manhattan College heard of the problem and offered the full scholarship . My grandfather and many others thought it was racial offering it to an Irishmen over an Italian . My father never ever talked about the mafia and he hated that  because many thought most italian immigrants were associated with them but he did say to me once that it took the Jesuits more then Bishop Perricone  talk to convince Fordham to change their minds and offer him the full ride  Anyway my grandfather was thick headed and made him go to Manhattan College / He graduated in the class of 1936 got a teaching job at Teddy R as a Italian- Spanish  Teacher and then when WW 2 came he went to officers training school and became a member of AMG [allied Military Government] and served in North Africa and Italy during the war. When the war was over in 1945 he stayed in Italy with AMG and investigated the Andratine  Cave Massacre and was involved changing the Italian education system from Fascism to Democracy . When he came back to the Bronx something called the UN[ United nations } was forming.  He was hired for the UN and for the next 31 years worked for the UN. He was assigned to UNEF and headquarters was Naples and Pisa Italy  He served in the Gaza Strip  Congo  Cuba . I grew up at camp Darby a US army base in Livorno and went to school there for 10 years. After he retired from the UN Albany NY sent his his teaching certification from 1936  He was a permanent sub at Oradell HS in NJ for the next 10 years. At the age of 89 he had a stroke and passed away. He wore his Manhattan College ring his whole life and at the wake my mother and I argued over to bury him with the ring. I won and everyday since he passed away touch his Manhattan green stone ring and think of him. I wish he got to see me become a HS principal and see my career  but he was a part of it with his dna. I tell my grandkids stories about my career,teaching coaching etc but my fathers doesn't compare to his legacy..   But my 4 children got to be a part of his life and hopefully they can pass on some of that to my grandchildren . 

     
    DB51daBEARS
    DB51daBEARS
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2016
    Posts: 4135
    Posted: Jul. 26, 2023 - 9:34 AM ET #9

    Hey Box,

    I remember you retelling those stories about your dad and his life and times...just amazing stuff, including the whole Manhattan/Fordham craziness.  I can imagine back in the day with the Church and the whole cultural rivalry.  Screw Fordham, I always say lol.  My twins went to Villanova and Loyola (Md), and my son at Loyola one day says, "Dad...why didn't you tell me this is a Jesuit school"...he was a B student lol.  His brother wanted Penn/Wharton but just missed being accepted so he went to Nova...worked out fine for both.  My youngest was in the Navy (tin can sailor) for 4 years out in the Pacific all over and stationed at Pearl after basic at Great Lakes.  He's home now and doing fine.

    I might have mentioned in the past that Bishop Perricone actually confirmed me at St. Benedict's Parish lol.  I can still remember to this day the love tap on my cheek with HIS ring.  Your family and grandchildren have some amazing stories to hear and remember all throughout their lives!

    I lost my Manhattan College ring (silver w/the emerald...never liked the gold ring) three times.  First two times lucky i got it back...last time...unfortunately not and so I never replaced it.  I had a bad habit of taking my ring off whenever I washed my hands at work, and someone found it in the men's room at my first employer (CPA firm on Lexington Av) and next day I got it back.  Second time I was doing an audit at Victory Memorial Hospital on Staten Island in the winter, and one day got home and "damn...what the heck...where'd it go?!!  Two/three months later...March...I get a call from a person at Victory...am I so and so? Yes.  We found your ring outside near the walkway, must have been in the snow all winter and when the snow melted someone saw the green stone in the sunlight.  Amazing...so happy!!!  Third time I still don't recall how or where.

    Cheers buddy...take care, and BOL this Fall with wagering...and with Mean Green athletics!!!

    Reply

    Hey Box,

    I remember you retelling those stories about your dad and his life and times...just amazing stuff, including the whole Manhattan/Fordham craziness.  I can imagine back in the day with the Church and the whole cultural rivalry.  Screw Fordham, I always say lol.  My twins went to Villanova and Loyola (Md), and my son at Loyola one day says, "Dad...why didn't you tell me this is a Jesuit school"...he was a B student lol.  His brother wanted Penn/Wharton but just missed being accepted so he went to Nova...worked out fine for both.  My youngest was in the Navy (tin can sailor) for 4 years out in the Pacific all over and stationed at Pearl after basic at Great Lakes.  He's home now and doing fine.

    I might have mentioned in the past that Bishop Perricone actually confirmed me at St. Benedict's Parish lol.  I can still remember to this day the love tap on my cheek with HIS ring.  Your family and grandchildren have some amazing stories to hear and remember all throughout their lives!

    I lost my Manhattan College ring (silver w/the emerald...never liked the gold ring) three times.  First two times lucky i got it back...last time...unfortunately not and so I never replaced it.  I had a bad habit of taking my ring off whenever I washed my hands at work, and someone found it in the men's room at my first employer (CPA firm on Lexington Av) and next day I got it back.  Second time I was doing an audit at Victory Memorial Hospital on Staten Island in the winter, and one day got home and "damn...what the heck...where'd it go?!!  Two/three months later...March...I get a call from a person at Victory...am I so and so? Yes.  We found your ring outside near the walkway, must have been in the snow all winter and when the snow melted someone saw the green stone in the sunlight.  Amazing...so happy!!!  Third time I still don't recall how or where.

    Cheers buddy...take care, and BOL this Fall with wagering...and with Mean Green athletics!!!

     
    Box and one
    Box and one
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 1999
    Posts: 1604
    Posted: Jul. 29, 2023 - 11:07 AM ET #10

    dabear  I never even bought a college ring when I graduated  in the early 70's no one bought one  But my father wore that ring ever since the day he graduated all through ww 2 in italy  And at night he would take it off and in the morning it was back on . He lived and died about the jaspers. My mother and I had such an argument at the basement of the funeral home when he died. She wanted him buried with it on  My wife was upstairs and went and got my aunt to be the middle person  Sounds crazy but my aunt[ my mothers sisters] told my mother let me have  it .  I put a Manhattan college green pennant on his suit and my mother finally gave in. And I touch it everyday and his yankee baseball cap and ring.  

     And when my father was in Italy during the war Bishop Perricone's family in Calabria s had a US Army truck dropped off blankets, flour ,eggs and other rations that the Italians needed. His family wrote the Bishop and thanked him and said some US officer from your precinct in NYC hooked us up with goods. When the war was over Bishop Perricone  blessed 651 Cresent ave apartment building  Everyone in the neighborhood thought maybe  saint lived there.  That is so funny he baptized you .. Think your going straight to heaven  lol 

    box and one
    Reply

    dabear  I never even bought a college ring when I graduated  in the early 70's no one bought one  But my father wore that ring ever since the day he graduated all through ww 2 in italy  And at night he would take it off and in the morning it was back on . He lived and died about the jaspers. My mother and I had such an argument at the basement of the funeral home when he died. She wanted him buried with it on  My wife was upstairs and went and got my aunt to be the middle person  Sounds crazy but my aunt[ my mothers sisters] told my mother let me have  it .  I put a Manhattan college green pennant on his suit and my mother finally gave in. And I touch it everyday and his yankee baseball cap and ring.  

     And when my father was in Italy during the war Bishop Perricone's family in Calabria s had a US Army truck dropped off blankets, flour ,eggs and other rations that the Italians needed. His family wrote the Bishop and thanked him and said some US officer from your precinct in NYC hooked us up with goods. When the war was over Bishop Perricone  blessed 651 Cresent ave apartment building  Everyone in the neighborhood thought maybe  saint lived there.  That is so funny he baptized you .. Think your going straight to heaven  lol 

     
     
    DB51daBEARS
    DB51daBEARS
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2016
    Posts: 4135
    Posted: Jul. 30, 2023 - 9:48 AM ET #11

    Hey Box,

    SO NICE that you were able to keep your dad's MC ring!!!  How cool was that Bishop Perricone's family during the War, and wow...he blessed your family home.  Like you said, the whole neighborhood must have been awe struck!

    PS - Bishop Perricone confirmed me, Box...not baptism lol.  And your dad's NYY baseball cap, too...very cool.  Yankee fan all my life (as you can imagine).

    Cheers buddy...all the best!!!

    MEAN GREEN ...LET'S GO!!!

    Reply

    Hey Box,

    SO NICE that you were able to keep your dad's MC ring!!!  How cool was that Bishop Perricone's family during the War, and wow...he blessed your family home.  Like you said, the whole neighborhood must have been awe struck!

    PS - Bishop Perricone confirmed me, Box...not baptism lol.  And your dad's NYY baseball cap, too...very cool.  Yankee fan all my life (as you can imagine).

    Cheers buddy...all the best!!!

    MEAN GREEN ...LET'S GO!!!

    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,849
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 441
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,592
    • MLB Playoffs 16,782
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,143
    • PART DEUX 127
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,358
    • Week 6 Money 5,392
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,231
    • Lies, Inaccuracies & Stupidity 31,331

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.