• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Gambling lessons: four things that I could never overcome or deal with when I was gambling

    begginerboy
    nature1970
    Sidehatch
    searchwarrant
    Daddy_Freddie
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1008
    Posts: 6
     
    begginerboy
    begginerboy
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 15267
    Posted: Jan. 4, 2017 - 3:08 AM ET #1

    1) greed

    It got to the point where I started counting games that I wanted to bet on but didn't bet on (because I did not feel I had a strong enough angle) as losses. So I started chasing when those games hit because I blamed myself for not betting on them.

    2) Bad luck

    Nothing makes a gambler tilt faster than bad luck. Whether it be a bad call, a bad bounce, or an injury, this was something I could never deal with in a positive manner.

    3) Losing

    I could not deal with losing. Even three wins could not make up for a loss. To this day, I recall almost every big loss I ever had, but a very few of the wins.

    4) Time Management

    Most people worry about money management but my biggest problem was time management. I was never able to compartmentalize my life. My gambling bled into everything I did, and I mean everything. I was capping night and day, and watching sports or keeping track of scores on my phone the rest of time.

    Feel free to add your own to the list...
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    1) greed

    It got to the point where I started counting games that I wanted to bet on but didn't bet on (because I did not feel I had a strong enough angle) as losses. So I started chasing when those games hit because I blamed myself for not betting on them.

    2) Bad luck

    Nothing makes a gambler tilt faster than bad luck. Whether it be a bad call, a bad bounce, or an injury, this was something I could never deal with in a positive manner.

    3) Losing

    I could not deal with losing. Even three wins could not make up for a loss. To this day, I recall almost every big loss I ever had, but a very few of the wins.

    4) Time Management

    Most people worry about money management but my biggest problem was time management. I was never able to compartmentalize my life. My gambling bled into everything I did, and I mean everything. I was capping night and day, and watching sports or keeping track of scores on my phone the rest of time.

    Feel free to add your own to the list...
     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Jan. 4, 2017 - 11:32 AM ET #2

    horses, buying into the spin on tvg... so many bad outcomes.

    after a while I found hit the mute button helped the win loss column
    now when i engage with
    horse races. I take money.
    Reply
    horses, buying into the spin on tvg... so many bad outcomes.

    after a while I found hit the mute button helped the win loss column
    now when i engage with
    horse races. I take money.
     
    Sidehatch
    Sidehatch
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 3246
    Posted: Jan. 5, 2017 - 12:35 AM ET #3

    Well, that's why I tried to read what the pros had to say about tilt and career losers when I first started playing poker and sports betting. It totally helped me realize when I was on megatilt, how often to take breaks, when to walk away, and when to comfortably take the occasional larger risk. 

    It also helps that the first $100 bet I ever made, I ended up losing due to my starting pitcher getting domed by a 100 mph line drive and losing by a half run due to defensive indifference - it taught me that even when you've got a "lock," everything can still fall apart due to utter randomness.

    I don't lose sleep about any bets I make these days, as a result.
    Reply
    Well, that's why I tried to read what the pros had to say about tilt and career losers when I first started playing poker and sports betting. It totally helped me realize when I was on megatilt, how often to take breaks, when to walk away, and when to comfortably take the occasional larger risk. 

    It also helps that the first $100 bet I ever made, I ended up losing due to my starting pitcher getting domed by a 100 mph line drive and losing by a half run due to defensive indifference - it taught me that even when you've got a "lock," everything can still fall apart due to utter randomness.

    I don't lose sleep about any bets I make these days, as a result.
     
    begginerboy
    begginerboy
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 15267
    Posted: Jan. 5, 2017 - 2:00 AM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidehatch:

    Well, that's why I tried to read what the pros had to say about tilt and career losers when I first started playing poker and sports betting. It totally helped me realize when I was on megatilt, how often to take breaks, when to walk away, and when to comfortably take the occasional larger risk. 

    It also helps that the first $100 bet I ever made, I ended up losing due to my starting pitcher getting domed by a 100 mph line drive and losing by a half run due to defensive indifference - it taught me that even when you've got a "lock," everything can still fall apart due to utter randomness.

    I don't lose sleep about any bets I make these days, as a result.

    As I said in another post, "Probably only 2-3% of the population has the emotional, psychological makeup to handle the rigors of gambling over the long haul without losing their shirt." You might be one of those 2-3%. Knowing you are tilting, chasing or needing a break is one thing, doing something about it is another.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidehatch:

    Well, that's why I tried to read what the pros had to say about tilt and career losers when I first started playing poker and sports betting. It totally helped me realize when I was on megatilt, how often to take breaks, when to walk away, and when to comfortably take the occasional larger risk. 

    It also helps that the first $100 bet I ever made, I ended up losing due to my starting pitcher getting domed by a 100 mph line drive and losing by a half run due to defensive indifference - it taught me that even when you've got a "lock," everything can still fall apart due to utter randomness.

    I don't lose sleep about any bets I make these days, as a result.

    As I said in another post, "Probably only 2-3% of the population has the emotional, psychological makeup to handle the rigors of gambling over the long haul without losing their shirt." You might be one of those 2-3%. Knowing you are tilting, chasing or needing a break is one thing, doing something about it is another.
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jan. 5, 2017 - 2:25 AM ET #5

    Deep six recollection of bad beats. Gamblers worst enemy.
    Ask would played last night and I couldn't tell you.
    Reply
    Deep six recollection of bad beats. Gamblers worst enemy.
    Ask would played last night and I couldn't tell you.
     
     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Jan. 11, 2017 - 1:04 AM ET #6

    This "talking point" really should have been listed as #1  overall! 

    Time Management-Most people worry about money management but my biggest problem was time management. I was never able to compartmentalize my life. My gambling bled into everything I did, and I mean everything. I was capping night and day, and watching sports or keeping track of scores on my phone the rest of time.

    I say this because what has helped me to grasp a broader sense of everything was to practice, read, and work on methods that I have acquired and learned during my work week (I usually spend 2 hours a night with this) and then put cash through the window at the book here in Las Vegas ONLY on one of my days off when I have 2 or more plays.

    Once you start chasing or forcing action your going down a slippery slope.  

    Reply
    This "talking point" really should have been listed as #1  overall! 

    Time Management-Most people worry about money management but my biggest problem was time management. I was never able to compartmentalize my life. My gambling bled into everything I did, and I mean everything. I was capping night and day, and watching sports or keeping track of scores on my phone the rest of time.

    I say this because what has helped me to grasp a broader sense of everything was to practice, read, and work on methods that I have acquired and learned during my work week (I usually spend 2 hours a night with this) and then put cash through the window at the book here in Las Vegas ONLY on one of my days off when I have 2 or more plays.

    Once you start chasing or forcing action your going down a slippery slope.  

    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,348
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 433
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,861
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,852
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,212
    • PART DEUX 138
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,102
    • Week 6 Money 7,847
    • Trump's legacy? 33,977

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.