I quit my banking job earlier this month and they owed me 3 business days and over 40 accrued vacation hours on my last paycheck which was the 15th of this month. I ended up getting a full paycheck which is obviously incorrect. I have a feeling I slipped through the cracks and will probably keep getting a paycheck until they realize this payroll error. I spoke to an employment lawyer and was told I am not obligated to notify them of their error BUT they can ask for the money back and sue me if I don't send it back (if or when they find out their error). Folks, what are my options? What would you do? I stopped contributing to my 401k in November so there are no implications or issues here but this will affect my year end W2's. What a hassle unless I can somehow keep these funds ...
Former Employer Stills Pays
I quit my banking job earlier this month and they owed me 3 business days and over 40 accrued vacation hours on my last paycheck which was the 15th of this month. I ended up getting a full paycheck which is obviously incorrect. I have a feeling I slipped through the cracks and will probably keep getting a paycheck until they realize this payroll error. I spoke to an employment lawyer and was told I am not obligated to notify them of their error BUT they can ask for the money back and sue me if I don't send it back (if or when they find out their error). Folks, what are my options? What would you do? I stopped contributing to my 401k in November so there are no implications or issues here but this will affect my year end W2's. What a hassle unless I can somehow keep these funds ...
Options are the same as they always are in a situation like this.
You can try to continue to ‘steal’ money that you did not earn. What if they continue to send you a paycheck — are you going to continue to be confused about what to do?
I am quite sure you can go back to the bank and let them know. Or you can call them and let them know so they can correct their mistake.
Maybe it is not a mistake. Maybe you are owed some sort of severance or something. Call them or go in there and find out. Maybe it is your money after all. With all of the virtual working stuff going on — maybe they assumed you were on the virtual list, if there is one.
That way they can make sure your W2 is correct when you receive it.
Maybe I missed something or misunderstood what you are asking. It just seems to me you are asking if it is cool to keep money that is not yours? Of course, it is not. Your conscious tells you this — or you would not even have you think about it or ask the question.
Options are the same as they always are in a situation like this.
You can try to continue to ‘steal’ money that you did not earn. What if they continue to send you a paycheck — are you going to continue to be confused about what to do?
I am quite sure you can go back to the bank and let them know. Or you can call them and let them know so they can correct their mistake.
Maybe it is not a mistake. Maybe you are owed some sort of severance or something. Call them or go in there and find out. Maybe it is your money after all. With all of the virtual working stuff going on — maybe they assumed you were on the virtual list, if there is one.
That way they can make sure your W2 is correct when you receive it.
Maybe I missed something or misunderstood what you are asking. It just seems to me you are asking if it is cool to keep money that is not yours? Of course, it is not. Your conscious tells you this — or you would not even have you think about it or ask the question.
@Raiders22
I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
@Raiders22
I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
@Raiders22 I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
Nothing is free. They will figure out there error and come after you for the money unless, as someone mentioned, it's part of some severance package or owed bonus/vacation, etc.
@Raiders22 I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
Nothing is free. They will figure out there error and come after you for the money unless, as someone mentioned, it's part of some severance package or owed bonus/vacation, etc.
Keeping something that is not yours is stealing, no two ways about it and you could potentially face criminal prosecution. That would look good on your background check when you apply for your next job-
Keeping something that is not yours is stealing, no two ways about it and you could potentially face criminal prosecution. That would look good on your background check when you apply for your next job-
Sounds a little like the movie Office Space
raw dogg , call the law , lost it all , plus you caught a case
often I get raucous ought to call a Spade
a Spade
not David
but by the same name he made famous claim :
you’re Joe Dirt
filthy like an animal as I shout loud from the pulpit
criminal is how it sounds but without the power of the mullet
look it
if you’re gonna get down in the depths and sleep comfortable like a baby
saying anything is crazy
believe me , book it
but Jesus you’re a weakling and deceitfully crooked……
Merry Christmas
Sounds a little like the movie Office Space
raw dogg , call the law , lost it all , plus you caught a case
often I get raucous ought to call a Spade
a Spade
not David
but by the same name he made famous claim :
you’re Joe Dirt
filthy like an animal as I shout loud from the pulpit
criminal is how it sounds but without the power of the mullet
look it
if you’re gonna get down in the depths and sleep comfortable like a baby
saying anything is crazy
believe me , book it
but Jesus you’re a weakling and deceitfully crooked……
Merry Christmas
@Raiders22 I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
You got the right idea. Keep it and keep cashing until it stops. If they call you out play dumb and say you assumed it was your severance. If they want it back say you don’t have it and can’t afford to. They’ll settle with you or write it off. Or maybe they’ll come after you but who cares, life is short and you could die tomorrow. Ignore the dorks telling you it’s against the law ![]()
@Raiders22 I'm not asking if it's cool if I can keep this money. Oh, I'm keeping this money for sure, no doubt about that!!! Keep sending me those checks Big Wall Street Bank!!!
You got the right idea. Keep it and keep cashing until it stops. If they call you out play dumb and say you assumed it was your severance. If they want it back say you don’t have it and can’t afford to. They’ll settle with you or write it off. Or maybe they’ll come after you but who cares, life is short and you could die tomorrow. Ignore the dorks telling you it’s against the law ![]()
Hot Forum Topics
Warning - External Link
Report User
This post is spam
Delete Post
Remove Thread
Scan Results
Login/Register
Accounts are free and easy to create.
Search
