• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Draftkings MLB betting question

    bloopity
    hoody
    knockonwood
    avenue
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 122
    Posts: 5
     
    bloopity
    bloopity
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2023
    Posts: 1
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2023 - 9:27 AM ET #1

    I'm new to draftkings and am having some questions about a betting style... maybe one of you could help me understand.

    Here's the scenario: a few months ago the Cincinnati Reds swept the Houston Astros (in Texas which was fun) and I decided to place a $100 bet on the Reds to win the 2023 NLDS. The odds at that time were 70:1. A few days ago the odds on this bet are now 17:1, although my original bet payout has stayed the same, 70:1. (I normally bet with casinos and at horsetracks.) Draftkings tells me that they will pay me $241 to cancel the bet now. That's a 140% profit. (I'm not going to cancel, btw.) My question is this: if I had bet $5000 would Draftkings offer me roughly $14,000 to cancel the bet? That seems too good to be true. What kind of betting is this called? Do punters engage this style of betting as a strategy? I would think that Draftkings would have a limit as to how much they would payout in this scenario.... like $500 or something?

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    I'm new to draftkings and am having some questions about a betting style... maybe one of you could help me understand.

    Here's the scenario: a few months ago the Cincinnati Reds swept the Houston Astros (in Texas which was fun) and I decided to place a $100 bet on the Reds to win the 2023 NLDS. The odds at that time were 70:1. A few days ago the odds on this bet are now 17:1, although my original bet payout has stayed the same, 70:1. (I normally bet with casinos and at horsetracks.) Draftkings tells me that they will pay me $241 to cancel the bet now. That's a 140% profit. (I'm not going to cancel, btw.) My question is this: if I had bet $5000 would Draftkings offer me roughly $14,000 to cancel the bet? That seems too good to be true. What kind of betting is this called? Do punters engage this style of betting as a strategy? I would think that Draftkings would have a limit as to how much they would payout in this scenario.... like $500 or something?

     
    hoody
    hoody
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2002
    Posts: 1921
    Posted: Aug. 10, 2023 - 12:57 PM ET #2

    Sounds like your asking about Hedging a bet.

    Reply

    Sounds like your asking about Hedging a bet.

     
    knockonwood
    knockonwood
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2002
    Posts: 3521
    Posted: Aug. 10, 2023 - 2:56 PM ET #3

    I'm a old school player and mostly play sides and that's it, parlay for fun here and there...I played a 4 team parlay on a site last night experimenting on the site for football maybe...I went to the site later after games had started to see who I played and saw something that said cash out.....I had no idea what it was and clicked on it, well my balance shot up...I said crap what was that???  I checked the scores on my 4 team parlay and had won 2, 2 were still being played but was winning at the time.....I never meant to cancel my parlay and wouldn't have but in the end I made 5 times my bet I think it was...I still never wanted this to happen so did my research.....You can cash out a bet you've made and that's the end of the bet, I guess:) I made money on my parlay and thank goodness I went 3-1 and not 4-0 :) 

     

    I'll research this to see if I can take advantage but the bigger lesson is this for you....Vegas does nothing to help you win more and why I stick to sides :)  I'm sure more here know way more about this but when I saw your post I said that's what happened to me last night but remember and important.....Vegas doesn't give you a 100 ways to bet a game for your benifit!!!   I'm one always willing to help if I can but many more can explain your ? Better I'm sure...I guess they felt I would hit my parlay but shows they're not as smart as they think in my opinion because I made 6 times my bet on a parlay I never would have hit :)

     

    Have a great day :)   Knock!

    Reply

    I'm a old school player and mostly play sides and that's it, parlay for fun here and there...I played a 4 team parlay on a site last night experimenting on the site for football maybe...I went to the site later after games had started to see who I played and saw something that said cash out.....I had no idea what it was and clicked on it, well my balance shot up...I said crap what was that???  I checked the scores on my 4 team parlay and had won 2, 2 were still being played but was winning at the time.....I never meant to cancel my parlay and wouldn't have but in the end I made 5 times my bet I think it was...I still never wanted this to happen so did my research.....You can cash out a bet you've made and that's the end of the bet, I guess:) I made money on my parlay and thank goodness I went 3-1 and not 4-0 :) 

     

    I'll research this to see if I can take advantage but the bigger lesson is this for you....Vegas does nothing to help you win more and why I stick to sides :)  I'm sure more here know way more about this but when I saw your post I said that's what happened to me last night but remember and important.....Vegas doesn't give you a 100 ways to bet a game for your benifit!!!   I'm one always willing to help if I can but many more can explain your ? Better I'm sure...I guess they felt I would hit my parlay but shows they're not as smart as they think in my opinion because I made 6 times my bet on a parlay I never would have hit :)

     

    Have a great day :)   Knock!

     
    knockonwood
    knockonwood
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2002
    Posts: 3521
    Posted: Aug. 10, 2023 - 2:59 PM ET #4

    @knockonwood

     I just figured, 6 times my original bet :) not bad for a parlay :) I'll not fall for it though as Vegas is never on your side but I'll take the lucky click :)   Knock!

    Reply

    @knockonwood

     I just figured, 6 times my original bet :) not bad for a parlay :) I'll not fall for it though as Vegas is never on your side but I'll take the lucky click :)   Knock!

     
     
    avenue
    avenue
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 7616
    Posted: Aug. 12, 2023 - 1:34 AM ET #5

    bol pal

     

    not a fan of draft kings

    they limit your wager amounts 

    Reply

    bol pal

     

    not a fan of draft kings

    they limit your wager amounts 

    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,849
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 441
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,592
    • MLB Playoffs 16,782
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,143
    • PART DEUX 127
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,358
    • Week 6 Money 5,392
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,231
    • Lies, Inaccuracies & Stupidity 31,331

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.