• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Do you guys keep cash on hand for emergencies?

    DiGiT
    Slobbasaurus
    tinfoils
    searchwarrant
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 737
    Posts: 12
     
    DiGiT
    DiGiT
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 322
    Posted: Jul. 2, 2016 - 5:31 PM ET #1

    I'm not talking about what you got in your pocket right now but rather that shoebox or coffee tin you've got hidden away somewhere.

    I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what but I'm really starting to think like and old person when it comes to not trusting the banks and making sure I have a little extra money should something go awry.  Natural disasters and everything - hell, I'm even thinking about the possibilities of electronic terrorist attacks that could cripple the banks and not allow me access to my funds.

    I tell my friends this and they think I'm nuts, and maybe so, but I honestly feel a lot more comfortable with a few bills stashed away just in case.

    How about you?
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I'm not talking about what you got in your pocket right now but rather that shoebox or coffee tin you've got hidden away somewhere.

    I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what but I'm really starting to think like and old person when it comes to not trusting the banks and making sure I have a little extra money should something go awry.  Natural disasters and everything - hell, I'm even thinking about the possibilities of electronic terrorist attacks that could cripple the banks and not allow me access to my funds.

    I tell my friends this and they think I'm nuts, and maybe so, but I honestly feel a lot more comfortable with a few bills stashed away just in case.

    How about you?
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jul. 2, 2016 - 8:52 PM ET #2

    You're not nuts at all man.

    Most of my money is fairly well diversified with different Mutual Funds and ETFs through Vanguard (I recommend them for retirement/income investments because they have the lowest expense ratios in the industry).

    However, I have $1k in a safe just in case of a crazy emergency like Hurricane Sandy or Irene.  I think this amount is sufficient to hold me over for 3 days in case I would need to completely liquidate one of my funds, which I would assume that I could access.  Even if I have to make a 2 hour drive South to the Vanguard Corporate Office in Philly, I would probably get arrested if they decided to freeze my assets for no apparent reason that's not my fault.  

    You may be a little paranoid in the fact that it's a fraction of a percent risk that the banks and investor sites like Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab would crash and freeze your assets, but you're not the only one with these thoughts.  I've heard it from several people; family, friends and strangers like you.   

    Reply
    You're not nuts at all man.

    Most of my money is fairly well diversified with different Mutual Funds and ETFs through Vanguard (I recommend them for retirement/income investments because they have the lowest expense ratios in the industry).

    However, I have $1k in a safe just in case of a crazy emergency like Hurricane Sandy or Irene.  I think this amount is sufficient to hold me over for 3 days in case I would need to completely liquidate one of my funds, which I would assume that I could access.  Even if I have to make a 2 hour drive South to the Vanguard Corporate Office in Philly, I would probably get arrested if they decided to freeze my assets for no apparent reason that's not my fault.  

    You may be a little paranoid in the fact that it's a fraction of a percent risk that the banks and investor sites like Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab would crash and freeze your assets, but you're not the only one with these thoughts.  I've heard it from several people; family, friends and strangers like you.   

     
    tinfoils
    tinfoils
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2002
    Posts: 66016
    Posted: Jul. 2, 2016 - 9:12 PM ET #3

    I keep silver.
    Reply
    I keep silver.
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jul. 2, 2016 - 9:25 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoils:

    I keep silver.

    Almost $20 an ounce.  Gold and Silver have been killing it since December.  Most precious metals and mining are still winners.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoils:

    I keep silver.

    Almost $20 an ounce.  Gold and Silver have been killing it since December.  Most precious metals and mining are still winners.  
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jul. 2, 2016 - 9:47 PM ET #5

    guns. 
    Reply
    guns. 
     
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 56261
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2016 - 1:51 PM ET #6

    You are not nuts.  You are smart. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHx5-jTBB-U


    Bail ins will come some day.  
    Reply
    You are not nuts.  You are smart. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHx5-jTBB-U


    Bail ins will come some day.  
     
    HoustonSports
    HoustonSports
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2004
    Posts: 22937
    Posted: Jul. 3, 2016 - 10:56 PM ET #7

    Guns, ammo and cash always locked up in a fire proof safe. Given the path that the Government is going (especially if HC gets into the Presidency) you will not be able to move anything more than a couple of thousand out of the bank. Right now you are grilled if you take out $10k or more. $5 k probably is not far behind. I keep very little in any one bank. Only enough to pay bills
    Reply
    Guns, ammo and cash always locked up in a fire proof safe. Given the path that the Government is going (especially if HC gets into the Presidency) you will not be able to move anything more than a couple of thousand out of the bank. Right now you are grilled if you take out $10k or more. $5 k probably is not far behind. I keep very little in any one bank. Only enough to pay bills
     
    MullerRose
    MullerRose
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2016
    Posts: 192
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2016 - 4:01 AM ET #8

    You are not being nuts. I don't save all money in the bank as well because apart from it's not 100% safe, the interest is very low as well. I keep money around the house, just a meager amount of cash for emergencies. The rest, I invest in the stock market. 
    Reply
    You are not being nuts. I don't save all money in the bank as well because apart from it's not 100% safe, the interest is very low as well. I keep money around the house, just a meager amount of cash for emergencies. The rest, I invest in the stock market. 
     
    misters
    misters
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 4487
    Posted: Jul. 4, 2016 - 8:59 AM ET #9

    might be a good idea to get some of these too

    https://goldsilver.com/buy-online/Valcambi-Gold-CombiBar/

    "People say an ounce of gold can buy a nice suit 100 years ago... so it does today"

    "The best thing about Physical Gold and Silver zero Inflation!
    A barrel of oil yesterday, is still a barrel today and a barrel of oil tomorrow, not one drop of inflation.
    An oz of gold yesterday, is still an oz today and will be an oz of gold tomorrow
    A dollar yesterday, ten dollars today and hundred tomorrow......."
    Reply
    might be a good idea to get some of these too

    https://goldsilver.com/buy-online/Valcambi-Gold-CombiBar/

    "People say an ounce of gold can buy a nice suit 100 years ago... so it does today"

    "The best thing about Physical Gold and Silver zero Inflation!
    A barrel of oil yesterday, is still a barrel today and a barrel of oil tomorrow, not one drop of inflation.
    An oz of gold yesterday, is still an oz today and will be an oz of gold tomorrow
    A dollar yesterday, ten dollars today and hundred tomorrow......."
     
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 56261
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2016 - 1:08 AM ET #10

    Silver breaking out big time. 
    Reply
    Silver breaking out big time. 
     
    mainman11111
    mainman11111
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2016
    Posts: 1083
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2016 - 1:11 AM ET #11

    now lemme get youraddress soican burrow some moolah
    Reply
    now lemme get youraddress soican burrow some moolah
     
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Jul. 5, 2016 - 1:39 AM ET #12

    Ask yourself what were the main survival trade items in the 18th century.
    Reply
    Ask yourself what were the main survival trade items in the 18th century.
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 460,352
    • Thursday 10/08/2026 433
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,875
    • TB/BOYS live in game comment welcome 834
    • PART DEUX 145
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,853
    • Week 6 Money 8,213
    • 🏀😎🥳 NCAA hoops bets hitting over 63% each year for past few seasons!...BUT will this continue? 🤔 ...or regress?? 🤒🤕😧 191,792
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 36,199
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 105,216

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.