Looking for some inpuit on creating power rankings for this years NFL and College football season. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
creating power rankings
Views: 938
Posts: 7
Posted:
#2
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
Posted:
#3
Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
Any in particular that you would recommend
Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
There is so much free information and already established power rankings out there... why don't you just tweak the existing data to meet your own specific needs?
Any in particular that you would recommend
Posted:
#4
There are literally thousands out there. Start with the obvious tout-like tools ESPN, USA Today, CBS. Check out stuff like bleacherreport, sbnation, oddsshark, Anthon. You'll eventually come across individual team sites like Lombardi Ave for the GB Packers. Tons of small-time great little sites like Biff runs one called Armadillo. Possibilities are limitless and like said earlier you can eventually refine your Power Rankings to get down to your specific interests. Passing game, Ground game, Offense, Defense, First halfs, Second halfs, whatever your interest.
GL rook.
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
There are literally thousands out there. Start with the obvious tout-like tools ESPN, USA Today, CBS. Check out stuff like bleacherreport, sbnation, oddsshark, Anthon. You'll eventually come across individual team sites like Lombardi Ave for the GB Packers. Tons of small-time great little sites like Biff runs one called Armadillo. Possibilities are limitless and like said earlier you can eventually refine your Power Rankings to get down to your specific interests. Passing game, Ground game, Offense, Defense, First halfs, Second halfs, whatever your interest.
GL rook.
Posted:
#5
I've been creating my own numbers for almost 10 years.
Let me recommend a free resource.
Football Outsiders.
They have a ton of advanced metrics.
My simple recipe?
I rank each of the 130 teams from on a scale of 0.1-13, in a mutliple of categories--- Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, Coaching, QB play, Recruiting, I also use previous win totals---
When done, I have each team ranked 1-130.
This is where art and science meet. My top ranked team has a score of absolute zero (Alabama), my lowest ranked team (UTEP) has a value of 54. Thereby, I would make Alabama a 54 point favorite vs. UTEP on a neutral field.
It is the values in between 0 and 54 that you have to create/determine. Also, I use my own home field value but Phil Steele in his yearbook has Home Field values already calculated for each team on their individual pages.
I can get into a lot more detail if you like.
But you can use ESPN's QBR to rank each QB, you can use coaching records to rank the coaches, you can go to Football Outsiders and get all their free info, and Phil Steele has a list of Offensive Line returning starts, % yards returning, % of tackles returning. From all that you can create your own set of #'s.
I've been creating my own numbers for almost 10 years.
Let me recommend a free resource.
Football Outsiders.
They have a ton of advanced metrics.
My simple recipe?
I rank each of the 130 teams from on a scale of 0.1-13, in a mutliple of categories--- Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, Coaching, QB play, Recruiting, I also use previous win totals---
When done, I have each team ranked 1-130.
This is where art and science meet. My top ranked team has a score of absolute zero (Alabama), my lowest ranked team (UTEP) has a value of 54. Thereby, I would make Alabama a 54 point favorite vs. UTEP on a neutral field.
It is the values in between 0 and 54 that you have to create/determine. Also, I use my own home field value but Phil Steele in his yearbook has Home Field values already calculated for each team on their individual pages.
I can get into a lot more detail if you like.
But you can use ESPN's QBR to rank each QB, you can use coaching records to rank the coaches, you can go to Football Outsiders and get all their free info, and Phil Steele has a list of Offensive Line returning starts, % yards returning, % of tackles returning. From all that you can create your own set of #'s.
Posted:
#6
I put mine in the CFL forum every week , I have my NFL ready for week 1 pending injuries cuts players that have to sit out a week or four weeks , then I'll adjust them.
I put mine in the CFL forum every week , I have my NFL ready for week 1 pending injuries cuts players that have to sit out a week or four weeks , then I'll adjust them.
Hot Forum Topics
Warning - External Link
Report User
Thank you for reporting
This content is abusive or harmful
This post is spam
An error has occurred
This post is spam
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google
Privacy Policy and
Terms of Service apply.
Delete Post
Are you sure you would like to remove this post?
Remove Thread
Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?
Scan Results
Login/Register
Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
Accounts are free and easy to create.
Accounts are free and easy to create.
Search
