• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Coinbase email - anyone else receive one?

    Money2theBank
    searchwarrant
    dcp1985
    LRM704
    666LES
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 888
    Posts: 15
     
    Money2theBank
    Money2theBank
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 3502
    Posted: Feb. 28, 2018 - 5:09 PM ET #1

    So I was one of the lucky 13,000 who received an e-mail from Coinbase telling me my information was being sent to the IRS. I was booted from Coinbase at the end of 2015 and haven't had any interaction with them since. 

    I'll be honest, when I started playing around with Crypto at the very end of 2014, I didn't realize what it would turn into — just that it was an easier way to move cash than MG or WU. 

    Like most, I've been down more than I've been up, and when I've been up, I ultimately lost any winnings over the course of the next few days/weeks. That said, I was buying and selling bitcoin heavily on Coinbase, but because I never held onto it for very long or bought anything with it (I literally didn't spend a dime of what I sold from my Coinbase sales), it would sit in my account before I bought more bitcoin and pulled it back into my account to transfer to an offshore book again. Needless to say, it was a vicious cycle. 

    I didn't think much of what I was doing until I received the e-mail. 

    At this point, I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'm just scared shitless that I could be going to jail because A) I didn't pay taxes on it (even if I don't have any profits to show for it) and B) The BTC I was transferring was going to offshore gambling books. 

    What I wanted to know if there were any tax professionals on here who would be willing to talk to me and offer some advice? Or if you could recommend someone to talk to? I'm willing to pay, if need be, for the advice. 

    Realize Covers may not be the most reputable place on earth, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm done trying to put up a facade. Thanks in advance for any help/advice y'all can provide. 

    Laugh if you want, but I'm legitimately looking for answers. Thanks
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    So I was one of the lucky 13,000 who received an e-mail from Coinbase telling me my information was being sent to the IRS. I was booted from Coinbase at the end of 2015 and haven't had any interaction with them since. 

    I'll be honest, when I started playing around with Crypto at the very end of 2014, I didn't realize what it would turn into — just that it was an easier way to move cash than MG or WU. 

    Like most, I've been down more than I've been up, and when I've been up, I ultimately lost any winnings over the course of the next few days/weeks. That said, I was buying and selling bitcoin heavily on Coinbase, but because I never held onto it for very long or bought anything with it (I literally didn't spend a dime of what I sold from my Coinbase sales), it would sit in my account before I bought more bitcoin and pulled it back into my account to transfer to an offshore book again. Needless to say, it was a vicious cycle. 

    I didn't think much of what I was doing until I received the e-mail. 

    At this point, I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'm just scared shitless that I could be going to jail because A) I didn't pay taxes on it (even if I don't have any profits to show for it) and B) The BTC I was transferring was going to offshore gambling books. 

    What I wanted to know if there were any tax professionals on here who would be willing to talk to me and offer some advice? Or if you could recommend someone to talk to? I'm willing to pay, if need be, for the advice. 

    Realize Covers may not be the most reputable place on earth, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm done trying to put up a facade. Thanks in advance for any help/advice y'all can provide. 

    Laugh if you want, but I'm legitimately looking for answers. Thanks
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Feb. 28, 2018 - 5:45 PM ET #2

    Have you been filing taxes on a regular basis each year?

    Reply
    Have you been filing taxes on a regular basis each year?

     
    Money2theBank
    Money2theBank
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 3502
    Posted: Feb. 28, 2018 - 6:05 PM ET #3

    Yes, I file taxes on a yearly basis. But I've never done it for the cryptocurrency. I just assumed if I was always losing in betting each year that it didn't matter. I realize now it doesn't mean shit because I was still making a profit on BTC I was selling even though I would buy from the BTC I sold (that was located in my bank account) to refill my betting account. I'm at net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold but realize that doesn't matter to the government. 

    Reply

    Yes, I file taxes on a yearly basis. But I've never done it for the cryptocurrency. I just assumed if I was always losing in betting each year that it didn't matter. I realize now it doesn't mean shit because I was still making a profit on BTC I was selling even though I would buy from the BTC I sold (that was located in my bank account) to refill my betting account. I'm at net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold but realize that doesn't matter to the government. 

     
    Money2theBank
    Money2theBank
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 3502
    Posted: Feb. 28, 2018 - 6:05 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Have you been filing taxes on a regular basis each year?

    Yes, I file taxes on a yearly basis. But I've never done it for the cryptocurrency. I just assumed if I was always losing in betting each year that it didn't matter. I realize now it doesn't mean shit because I was still making a profit on BTC I was selling even though I would buy from the BTC I sold (that was located in my bank account) to refill my betting account. I'm at net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold but realize that doesn't matter to the government. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

    Have you been filing taxes on a regular basis each year?

    Yes, I file taxes on a yearly basis. But I've never done it for the cryptocurrency. I just assumed if I was always losing in betting each year that it didn't matter. I realize now it doesn't mean shit because I was still making a profit on BTC I was selling even though I would buy from the BTC I sold (that was located in my bank account) to refill my betting account. I'm at net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold but realize that doesn't matter to the government. 

     
    dcp1985
    dcp1985
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2014
    Posts: 2063
    Posted: Feb. 28, 2018 - 11:35 PM ET #5

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding exactly how the money was flowing from your bank account to bitcoin to the offshore sites (and maybe back), but the key should be when you say "I'm at a net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold."  If this actually is the case I think you should be fine, and might be able to claim it as a capital loss.

    *note: from Canada so not as familiar with American tax system, and/or the legalities of how they would view you partaking in offshore gambling as a customer.
    Reply
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding exactly how the money was flowing from your bank account to bitcoin to the offshore sites (and maybe back), but the key should be when you say "I'm at a net loss when it comes to what I bought compared to what I sold."  If this actually is the case I think you should be fine, and might be able to claim it as a capital loss.

    *note: from Canada so not as familiar with American tax system, and/or the legalities of how they would view you partaking in offshore gambling as a customer.
     
    LRM704
    LRM704
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2002
    Posts: 11548
    Posted: Mar. 1, 2018 - 12:35 AM ET #6

    You have absolutely nothing to worry about. It is not illegal for you to deposit into a sportbook. You are a very small fish in a very big pond. The government has zero interest in tracking small time bettors. They want the big boys laundering money.

    Peace out  
    Reply
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about. It is not illegal for you to deposit into a sportbook. You are a very small fish in a very big pond. The government has zero interest in tracking small time bettors. They want the big boys laundering money.

    Peace out  
     
    666LES
    666LES
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 4321
    Posted: Mar. 1, 2018 - 3:02 PM ET #7

    Coinbase has your ss# and they released this info to IRS ??

    No ss#,no problem....... IRS can whistle..... I don't do crythpo but why would you give your ss# to anything off-shore?
    Reply
    Coinbase has your ss# and they released this info to IRS ??

    No ss#,no problem....... IRS can whistle..... I don't do crythpo but why would you give your ss# to anything off-shore?
     
    666LES
    666LES
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 4321
    Posted: Mar. 1, 2018 - 3:46 PM ET #8

    If your last activity @ Coinbase was the 2015 year and you haven't done anything since,why wasn't this handled on your 2016 taxes?Aren't you 2 years late?
    Reply
    If your last activity @ Coinbase was the 2015 year and you haven't done anything since,why wasn't this handled on your 2016 taxes?Aren't you 2 years late?
     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Mar. 1, 2018 - 5:46 PM ET #9

    The problem is if you bought $10k worth of Bitcoin in 2015, the government thinks you have around 40 Bitcoins or $400,000 worth of Bitcoin. 

    I think it only matters if you if you cash out? Doesn’t matter since you won’t be cashing out? 
    Reply
    The problem is if you bought $10k worth of Bitcoin in 2015, the government thinks you have around 40 Bitcoins or $400,000 worth of Bitcoin. 

    I think it only matters if you if you cash out? Doesn’t matter since you won’t be cashing out? 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 2, 2018 - 3:20 AM ET #10

    The email from Coinbase to this guy is 100% grade A bullchit. 

     

    Reply

    The email from Coinbase to this guy is 100% grade A bullchit. 

     

     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Mar. 2, 2018 - 3:27 AM ET #11

     op was tossed from Coinbase as a result of providing false bank/ss information.

    Ignore this crap. Goonight.peace_5

     

     

    Reply

     op was tossed from Coinbase as a result of providing false bank/ss information.

    Ignore this crap. Goonight.peace_5

     

     

     
    Money2theBank
    Money2theBank
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2004
    Posts: 3502
    Posted: Mar. 2, 2018 - 7:58 AM ET #12

    Huh? That isn’t even close to true. They closed my account because I was sending bitcoin to a bitcoin sportsbook, or so they suspected. Which is true. And the email isn’t fake. 13,000 people got one. Had nothing to do with a fake SSN or bank info. 
    Reply
    Huh? That isn’t even close to true. They closed my account because I was sending bitcoin to a bitcoin sportsbook, or so they suspected. Which is true. And the email isn’t fake. 13,000 people got one. Had nothing to do with a fake SSN or bank info. 
     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Mar. 2, 2018 - 11:32 PM ET #13

    Coinbase fought not to turn any info over and the 13,000 was the number they agreed to in court. Can’t really put any blame on them. If you put more fiat into Coinbase than you took out, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about? 
    Reply
    Coinbase fought not to turn any info over and the 13,000 was the number they agreed to in court. Can’t really put any blame on them. If you put more fiat into Coinbase than you took out, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about? 
     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Mar. 10, 2018 - 4:51 PM ET #14

    mycryptotax.net 
    Reply
    mycryptotax.net 
     
     
    EuroPro
    EuroPro
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2014
    Posts: 5110
    Posted: Mar. 11, 2018 - 12:31 AM ET #15

    this guys hiding money
    Reply
    this guys hiding money
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 459,894
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,613
    • Wednesday 10/07/2026 445
    • MLB Playoffs 16,965
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 35,296
    • PART DEUX 139
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,363
    • Public Indicator Calculations 2026 19,269
    • How low can Trump go ? 29,149
    • Week 6 Money 5,901

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Privacy Choices Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.