Posted:
#1
As simple as the thread title states...what changes do you most want to see in each of the professional sports.
NFL - A Super Bowl stadium built in Las Vegas. Have each of the owners throw in some money and build a mega-stadium in Vegas. Sell out the naming rights every 5 years to the top bidding company to pay back the owners and give billions to charity or concussion research or whatever. Weather is never an issue. Immediately becomes the ultimate dude trip weekend. Have the Pro Bowl there the week before. Add in a skills competition again. One of my best ideas I think I've had...I know the gambling aspect of it would be the major argument against...but it's so much less than what it used to be in Vegas.
NHL - Opposite of what they are doing now. Eliminate 6-7 teams to get down to 24 teams. Hold an entry draft from the eliminated teams to get the players on teams. Every team immediately becomes better, fans will actually know more than 3 guys on their team, and the product on the ice becomes better. Divide those 24 teams up into 12 American teams and 12 Canadian teams. Brings a little bit of the Olympic feel and national pride to the playoffs. The 12th largest Canadian city has over 300,000 people and each of the top 12 cities has been growing in population. I know there would be a lot of butthurt fans in some cities, but I'm sorry Tampa, Miami, Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, and Las Vegas. You don't need hockey. I'm also looking really closely at you San Jose.
MLB - Eliminate defensive shifts. All-Star game doesn't count for anything with the World Series. National League gets a DH. Home Run Derby goes back to the 10 out system. Salary Cap. Bump the season down to 100 games and start the season on Memorial Day weekend. No reason to start in the beginning of April when snow is still an issue in several cities, as well as the NBA and NHL playoffs starting to kick into gear.
Would love to hear some other great ideas that us armchair schmucks have !!
