Say there is something you don't like, color, steering wheel, anything and make it something you bring up as you say you're not sure and going to walk.
Plan on it taking a long time. Maybe get an idea of what the car is really worth and have them make multiple offers and keep declining. If they tell you to walk, do it. It's their job to try to get out into that car and out the door.
Speaking of which negotiate only in "out the door" prices. They have all kinds of add ons they will tack on after you agree on a price, but if you're speaking in out the door price it's talking fonal bottom line.
I could probably go on and on about this topic but would be interesting to see what others have to say
Say there is something you don't like, color, steering wheel, anything and make it something you bring up as you say you're not sure and going to walk.
Plan on it taking a long time. Maybe get an idea of what the car is really worth and have them make multiple offers and keep declining. If they tell you to walk, do it. It's their job to try to get out into that car and out the door.
Speaking of which negotiate only in "out the door" prices. They have all kinds of add ons they will tack on after you agree on a price, but if you're speaking in out the door price it's talking fonal bottom line.
I could probably go on and on about this topic but would be interesting to see what others have to say
Probably start with a little research before you go car shopping.....
Bought a new ride last July, I spent a few weeks narrowing down what I was interested in online before even stepping on a lot. Took 4 times to the dealership to make sure everything just what I wanted. I drove the salesman nuts...... it was fun. I was a little overwhelmed at first with all the new stuff (hadn't bought anything since 05) but once I learned what everything was about it was a lot easier. Ask a ton of questions.... there are no stupid questions. I got a push button start, I asked the salesman what would happen if I pressed it while I was driving... he had no idea. Also, if you park in a garage make sure to measure the vehicle. They are a lot longer than they used to be. Little things like that kept me going back and forth before I finally committed.... then you go into dealing with the money. Always ask what kind of deals or money off they are offering. And don't get any extended warranties, no matter how hard they push you. I walked out of the warranty guys office when he kept pressuring me to upgrade the warranty once I already had an 'out the door' price.
Quote Originally Posted by TRAIN69:
Probably start with a little research before you go car shopping.....
Bought a new ride last July, I spent a few weeks narrowing down what I was interested in online before even stepping on a lot. Took 4 times to the dealership to make sure everything just what I wanted. I drove the salesman nuts...... it was fun. I was a little overwhelmed at first with all the new stuff (hadn't bought anything since 05) but once I learned what everything was about it was a lot easier. Ask a ton of questions.... there are no stupid questions. I got a push button start, I asked the salesman what would happen if I pressed it while I was driving... he had no idea. Also, if you park in a garage make sure to measure the vehicle. They are a lot longer than they used to be. Little things like that kept me going back and forth before I finally committed.... then you go into dealing with the money. Always ask what kind of deals or money off they are offering. And don't get any extended warranties, no matter how hard they push you. I walked out of the warranty guys office when he kept pressuring me to upgrade the warranty once I already had an 'out the door' price.
Don't go to a New car Dealership for a used car. They will try to "bait and switch" you into buying a new car. Worst car buying experience in my lifetime last October. Gave them $2K CASH and signed an agreement on a used car. When I would not bite on their bait and switch to a new car they wouldn't give me my cash back. Was told I had to "come back tomorrow" to get a check. Got the check the next day but their bank would not cash it because "the dealership had not electronically signed off on the check (whatever the fukk that is supposed to mean). Went back to the bank the next day and they charged me $7 for CASHING THEIR OWN CHECK.
Total BS experience.
Will NEVER buy another Used Car again unless I can pay full price CASH and not have to play these silly games. And don't try to convince me that not all New car Dealerships are the same. They are.
GL
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
Don't go to a New car Dealership for a used car. They will try to "bait and switch" you into buying a new car. Worst car buying experience in my lifetime last October. Gave them $2K CASH and signed an agreement on a used car. When I would not bite on their bait and switch to a new car they wouldn't give me my cash back. Was told I had to "come back tomorrow" to get a check. Got the check the next day but their bank would not cash it because "the dealership had not electronically signed off on the check (whatever the fukk that is supposed to mean). Went back to the bank the next day and they charged me $7 for CASHING THEIR OWN CHECK.
Total BS experience.
Will NEVER buy another Used Car again unless I can pay full price CASH and not have to play these silly games. And don't try to convince me that not all New car Dealerships are the same. They are.
Here are more tips. Check history reports. Inspection by expert you trust. Choose a model where repair specialists are common so that competition and parts are easy to obtain.
Here are more tips. Check history reports. Inspection by expert you trust. Choose a model where repair specialists are common so that competition and parts are easy to obtain.
Here is the deal - many car lots and dealerships use ebay to thin their inventory.
You search for "no reserve" auctions and you can buy good vehicles at near wholesale pricing. And the dealerships actually will treat their ebay buyers better then those that come to the lot to shop. They need to maintain that 99.5% rating.
My best tip is to buy vehicles on ebay.
Here is the deal - many car lots and dealerships use ebay to thin their inventory.
You search for "no reserve" auctions and you can buy good vehicles at near wholesale pricing. And the dealerships actually will treat their ebay buyers better then those that come to the lot to shop. They need to maintain that 99.5% rating.