Was thinking about going to Queensland, specifically Mackay or Cairns next Spring. Anyone know anything about this area?Beaches look great and prices are reasonable...I wonder what the catch is...
Yes. Flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas. What specifically would you like to know?
Quote Originally Posted by bigvern1013:
Was thinking about going to Queensland, specifically Mackay or Cairns next Spring. Anyone know anything about this area?Beaches look great and prices are reasonable...I wonder what the catch is...
Yes. Flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas. What specifically would you like to know?
Yes. Flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas. What specifically would you like to know?
I am curious if it is too touristy, or has a nice smaller-town feel. How are the food/drink prices? Is there entertainment? How are the beaches, and is it safe? How was your trip and would you go back?
I read some negative stuff online about the safety element...never thought of Australia as "dangerous" aside from the wilderness areas. Just trying to get an idea what the area is like before sitting on a plane for 18 hours.
Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
Quote Originally Posted by incognegro:
Yes. Flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas. What specifically would you like to know?
I am curious if it is too touristy, or has a nice smaller-town feel. How are the food/drink prices? Is there entertainment? How are the beaches, and is it safe? How was your trip and would you go back?
I read some negative stuff online about the safety element...never thought of Australia as "dangerous" aside from the wilderness areas. Just trying to get an idea what the area is like before sitting on a plane for 18 hours.
I am curious if it is too touristy, or has a nice smaller-town feel. How are the food/drink prices? Is there entertainment? How are the beaches, and is it safe? How was your trip and would you go back?
I read some negative stuff online about the safety element...never thought of Australia as "dangerous" aside from the wilderness areas. Just trying to get an idea what the area is like before sitting on a plane for 18 hours.
We flew into Cairns and took an Uber to Port Douglas. Its nicer than Cairns and smaller; not much entertainment. There are some bars with live entertainment but I'm sure it closed down at a early time. My wife and I did a day trip to the great barrier reef which was cool and recommended if you go all the way over there. The beaches looked nice however, we were warned not to go into the water due to "saltwater crocodiles." I didn't see any but didn't risk it either (we went in Jan so maybe its different at different times of the year). As far as food and drink prices, I don't really recall. I live in Manhattan so nothing surprises me. Don't know if you care, but Port Douglas is one of the Clinton's favorite spots. They went during his presidency and vowed to go back afterwards, and they have a few times. As a matter of fact one of the restaurants we went to had a plate signed by Bill and dated "Sept. 11th 2001." I had to look it up and sure enough, it was true. Bill was in PD on Sept. 11th (albeit a day early due to time zones). I really enjoyed Australia, and I'm sure if you go all the way there, you're planning on doing more than Cairns?
Quote Originally Posted by bigvern1013:
I am curious if it is too touristy, or has a nice smaller-town feel. How are the food/drink prices? Is there entertainment? How are the beaches, and is it safe? How was your trip and would you go back?
I read some negative stuff online about the safety element...never thought of Australia as "dangerous" aside from the wilderness areas. Just trying to get an idea what the area is like before sitting on a plane for 18 hours.
We flew into Cairns and took an Uber to Port Douglas. Its nicer than Cairns and smaller; not much entertainment. There are some bars with live entertainment but I'm sure it closed down at a early time. My wife and I did a day trip to the great barrier reef which was cool and recommended if you go all the way over there. The beaches looked nice however, we were warned not to go into the water due to "saltwater crocodiles." I didn't see any but didn't risk it either (we went in Jan so maybe its different at different times of the year). As far as food and drink prices, I don't really recall. I live in Manhattan so nothing surprises me. Don't know if you care, but Port Douglas is one of the Clinton's favorite spots. They went during his presidency and vowed to go back afterwards, and they have a few times. As a matter of fact one of the restaurants we went to had a plate signed by Bill and dated "Sept. 11th 2001." I had to look it up and sure enough, it was true. Bill was in PD on Sept. 11th (albeit a day early due to time zones). I really enjoyed Australia, and I'm sure if you go all the way there, you're planning on doing more than Cairns?
That sounds like a pretty good time. Was planning on flying into Brisbane and taking a train tour up to the Mackay/Cairns area, stay for a few weeks. I will certainly look into Port Douglas as well.
Yeah, the reef is on my wife's bucket list, so she will want to go. I got up close with some saltwater crocodiles in Costa Rica once fishing in the mangroves outside of Quepos. I am from rural Montana...grew up around bears, mountain lions, etc...in comparison, saltwater crocs give me a reason for pause. Huge and fast...
As for prices on food/drink, it isn't that big of a deal, just curious what I am in for. Sort of used to getting taken deep in Hawaii, and even Vegas nowadays, so the land of the 9 dollar beer won't be a shock. Entertainment is not a biggie either...hitting a bar or two is about it, not looking for a two-week party.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Never Make A Winner A Loser. Never.
That sounds like a pretty good time. Was planning on flying into Brisbane and taking a train tour up to the Mackay/Cairns area, stay for a few weeks. I will certainly look into Port Douglas as well.
Yeah, the reef is on my wife's bucket list, so she will want to go. I got up close with some saltwater crocodiles in Costa Rica once fishing in the mangroves outside of Quepos. I am from rural Montana...grew up around bears, mountain lions, etc...in comparison, saltwater crocs give me a reason for pause. Huge and fast...
As for prices on food/drink, it isn't that big of a deal, just curious what I am in for. Sort of used to getting taken deep in Hawaii, and even Vegas nowadays, so the land of the 9 dollar beer won't be a shock. Entertainment is not a biggie either...hitting a bar or two is about it, not looking for a two-week party.