Used to bird sit my friend's Blue an Gold Macaw all the time. They're a blast to play with. Almost got one myself but it's about a 80-90 year commitment.
Used to bird sit my friend's Blue an Gold Macaw all the time. They're a blast to play with. Almost got one myself but it's about a 80-90 year commitment.
Used to bird sit my friend's Blue an Gold Macaw all the time. They're a blast to play with. Almost got one myself but it's about a 80-90 year commitment.
Yes, exactly. They got their African Grey from a guy who died at age 85 and he had him for about 40 years. They figure it's about 50 years old so it still can live for another 30 or 40 years.
Very good vocabulary. Calls the pet dogs by their names. LOL.
~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
Quote Originally Posted by searchwarrant:
Used to bird sit my friend's Blue an Gold Macaw all the time. They're a blast to play with. Almost got one myself but it's about a 80-90 year commitment.
Yes, exactly. They got their African Grey from a guy who died at age 85 and he had him for about 40 years. They figure it's about 50 years old so it still can live for another 30 or 40 years.
Very good vocabulary. Calls the pet dogs by their names. LOL.
I owned a Goffin cockatoo , beautiful bird and like all birds its a hell of a commitment to keep them happy and healthy .50% fun and 50% drive you and your neighbors nuts with the extremely loud jungle calls they use to get attention , once they learn how to get your unwanted attention its over ,( My GF stopped me from ringing his neck a few times ) . After around 7-8 years I could no longer give the bird the attention he needed, so I let him hang out ( cage and all ) at the feed store where I buy his food . He was in heaven there with more then enough attention . One of they're customers fell in love with him so I gave the bird to her . Happy ending.
I owned a Goffin cockatoo , beautiful bird and like all birds its a hell of a commitment to keep them happy and healthy .50% fun and 50% drive you and your neighbors nuts with the extremely loud jungle calls they use to get attention , once they learn how to get your unwanted attention its over ,( My GF stopped me from ringing his neck a few times ) . After around 7-8 years I could no longer give the bird the attention he needed, so I let him hang out ( cage and all ) at the feed store where I buy his food . He was in heaven there with more then enough attention . One of they're customers fell in love with him so I gave the bird to her . Happy ending.
I knew a girl who raised various breeds for $.She had a pair of Blue Macaws that were worth 1000's and she would come into the compound and all the birds would greet her.Some would call her Mary(her name),some would call her Ma,some would call her Mere.She had to get rid of about 15 birds because she got a lung infection from cleaning the droppings and she got a fungus in her lung.These were Top Quality birds and it was better then selling drugs for the $ she made but it' killed' her cause the birds were like kids.
I knew a girl who raised various breeds for $.She had a pair of Blue Macaws that were worth 1000's and she would come into the compound and all the birds would greet her.Some would call her Mary(her name),some would call her Ma,some would call her Mere.She had to get rid of about 15 birds because she got a lung infection from cleaning the droppings and she got a fungus in her lung.These were Top Quality birds and it was better then selling drugs for the $ she made but it' killed' her cause the birds were like kids.
Yeah, once you get a Macaw you're life is changed forever. They're incredibly intelligent, loud, manipulative and can take over a house with yelling if you don't train them up. Even then still a rowdy teenager.
666, sounds like your friend might have had a Hycinth(sp). They are spectacular, all blue with yellow around the pupils. Sell for upwards of 15-20 grand.
I never trust anybody's bird until they really know me and I them. Those beaks can tear your ear off or pop your finger in half like a pencil. Owners always say "oh he's so gentle, never bites...."
Yeah, once you get a Macaw you're life is changed forever. They're incredibly intelligent, loud, manipulative and can take over a house with yelling if you don't train them up. Even then still a rowdy teenager.
666, sounds like your friend might have had a Hycinth(sp). They are spectacular, all blue with yellow around the pupils. Sell for upwards of 15-20 grand.
I never trust anybody's bird until they really know me and I them. Those beaks can tear your ear off or pop your finger in half like a pencil. Owners always say "oh he's so gentle, never bites...."
I have an African Grey though I left him with the in-laws when I moved to Texas in 2004. His name is Larry Bird and is about 35 years old now, never been sick a day in his life.
He is great fun, give him an Oreo and he cracks it open, looks to see which side the stuffing is on, drops the other side and then eats the stuffing. Taught him to laugh like Curly from the 3 Stooges and whistle part of the Andy Griffith theme
I have an African Grey though I left him with the in-laws when I moved to Texas in 2004. His name is Larry Bird and is about 35 years old now, never been sick a day in his life.
He is great fun, give him an Oreo and he cracks it open, looks to see which side the stuffing is on, drops the other side and then eats the stuffing. Taught him to laugh like Curly from the 3 Stooges and whistle part of the Andy Griffith theme