Curious if anyone has experience flying or flirted with It? Year by year I keep thinking about it and getting real close to jumping in now. If it keeps my interest thinking an old Cessna 182 won't blow my kids inheritance. Like to hear anyone's experience with this.
To remove first post, remove entire topic.
Curious if anyone has experience flying or flirted with It? Year by year I keep thinking about it and getting real close to jumping in now. If it keeps my interest thinking an old Cessna 182 won't blow my kids inheritance. Like to hear anyone's experience with this.
Why buy the plane before you have your license? Obtaining a PPL requires 40 hours of flying time plus passing an aviation health exam and the requisite FAA oral/written/ and flight tests. Average cost from start to finish is 8-10K using the flight school's equipment. The cost of a new 4 seater Cessna 172 is upwards of 300K. Even a good used 180/182 is in the quarter million range.
My son is currently working as a CFI with IFR and multi engine ratings on his way to working for the commercial or corporate side. At this stage it's just a matter of accumulating flight hours for him.
I've flown with him many times but don't much care for it because I get motion sickness too easily in the little planes.
I hope you go for it if it's financially feasible.
Why buy the plane before you have your license? Obtaining a PPL requires 40 hours of flying time plus passing an aviation health exam and the requisite FAA oral/written/ and flight tests. Average cost from start to finish is 8-10K using the flight school's equipment. The cost of a new 4 seater Cessna 172 is upwards of 300K. Even a good used 180/182 is in the quarter million range.
My son is currently working as a CFI with IFR and multi engine ratings on his way to working for the commercial or corporate side. At this stage it's just a matter of accumulating flight hours for him.
I've flown with him many times but don't much care for it because I get motion sickness too easily in the little planes.
I hope you go for it if it's financially feasible.
I'm still in the early stages with this. I'm certainly not purchasing a plane until I'm a go with this. You'd be surprised at the cost some older planes can be purchased in the 200k range and less. I have a field about 15 minutes from me that is very affordable. It's in rural Delaware.
Thinking I'll go through the school and just play it by ear from there. Just would love the opportunity to take small rides with the family and friends and leave this gift to the kids one day as well.
Fortunately, the wife supports this and it won't put a severe dent in my wallet.
I'm still in the early stages with this. I'm certainly not purchasing a plane until I'm a go with this. You'd be surprised at the cost some older planes can be purchased in the 200k range and less. I have a field about 15 minutes from me that is very affordable. It's in rural Delaware.
Thinking I'll go through the school and just play it by ear from there. Just would love the opportunity to take small rides with the family and friends and leave this gift to the kids one day as well.
Fortunately, the wife supports this and it won't put a severe dent in my wallet.
Rural Delaware? Sounds like the perfect place to fly. Here in LA there's so much air traffic that your head is constantly on a swivel and the relaxation of flight is lost.
Start your class asap and enjoy. You'll have a blast.
Rural Delaware? Sounds like the perfect place to fly. Here in LA there's so much air traffic that your head is constantly on a swivel and the relaxation of flight is lost.
Start your class asap and enjoy. You'll have a blast.