I am going to Rome with my wife in February. I have heard about the pickpockets, and other scams. I have also heard how great a visit we should have in February.
If you have any advice at all about Rome, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
To remove first post, remove entire topic.
I am going to Rome with my wife in February. I have heard about the pickpockets, and other scams. I have also heard how great a visit we should have in February.
If you have any advice at all about Rome, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Rent a car for a day and take a cruise out of the city to the outlying country side and see the real Italy.. Worth every penny !! Stop and eat lunch which will cost you a quarter of what it would be in Rome and better ! In Rome there is a hole in the wall little eatery called "Mello" awesome and has the feel of a real Italian experience.. Go to the Vatican.. Try the Mozzarella and tomatoes with Italian oil.. Pizza is great but not the same as it is in the USA its a very basic pizza with it being all about the sauce and crust which I liked.. Never leave your hotel without a card from the hotel in case you get lost ( easy to do).. If you get lost hail a cab and give him the card.. Learn some basic Italian phrases.. Wear comfortable shoes and a zip pouch around your neck to put your cash in.. Visit the Pittsburgh Steeler bar in Rome its cool and its for real a guy from Canada runs it.. Take a night tour of Rome with a guide a guide is a must for this !!!... Drink the wine its great and cheap for the most part.. Bring mucho cash.. Best days I had were on trips out of town its beautiful and slower pace then Rome.. Be careful crossing streets they make NYC look like a a one red light town... GL
Be careful with the axe Eugene.
Rent a car for a day and take a cruise out of the city to the outlying country side and see the real Italy.. Worth every penny !! Stop and eat lunch which will cost you a quarter of what it would be in Rome and better ! In Rome there is a hole in the wall little eatery called "Mello" awesome and has the feel of a real Italian experience.. Go to the Vatican.. Try the Mozzarella and tomatoes with Italian oil.. Pizza is great but not the same as it is in the USA its a very basic pizza with it being all about the sauce and crust which I liked.. Never leave your hotel without a card from the hotel in case you get lost ( easy to do).. If you get lost hail a cab and give him the card.. Learn some basic Italian phrases.. Wear comfortable shoes and a zip pouch around your neck to put your cash in.. Visit the Pittsburgh Steeler bar in Rome its cool and its for real a guy from Canada runs it.. Take a night tour of Rome with a guide a guide is a must for this !!!... Drink the wine its great and cheap for the most part.. Bring mucho cash.. Best days I had were on trips out of town its beautiful and slower pace then Rome.. Be careful crossing streets they make NYC look like a a one red light town... GL
The pasta is a must also eat as much and as many different types as you can simply put its awesome!!! Dam the weight gain on vacation.. You will be walking most of it off anyway.. Find a local and find out the local cafes skip the tourist trap cafes.. Did I say the pasta is like little pillows of heaven.. Something about the flour I was told..
Be careful with the axe Eugene.
The pasta is a must also eat as much and as many different types as you can simply put its awesome!!! Dam the weight gain on vacation.. You will be walking most of it off anyway.. Find a local and find out the local cafes skip the tourist trap cafes.. Did I say the pasta is like little pillows of heaven.. Something about the flour I was told..
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
Not as paranoid as you think.. I have watched a girl holding a sign for handouts reach under that sign into a guys front pocket in the blink of an eye.. Almost so fast when even watching for it you question yourself did I just see that ? Now you are in a crowed street even if you do catch her she will hand it off in a nanny second and a partner blends into the crowd and your stuck.. No use in holding her a calling po-po you have nothing except an empty pocket... Your word is worth nada.. Happens ALL THE TIME in Rome.. A fool only carries his cash as a tourist in Rome in his or her pocket.. Sorry you are the uneducated one in this case.. .. Ever been ? doubt it if your laughing this off..
Be careful with the axe Eugene.
Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
Not as paranoid as you think.. I have watched a girl holding a sign for handouts reach under that sign into a guys front pocket in the blink of an eye.. Almost so fast when even watching for it you question yourself did I just see that ? Now you are in a crowed street even if you do catch her she will hand it off in a nanny second and a partner blends into the crowd and your stuck.. No use in holding her a calling po-po you have nothing except an empty pocket... Your word is worth nada.. Happens ALL THE TIME in Rome.. A fool only carries his cash as a tourist in Rome in his or her pocket.. Sorry you are the uneducated one in this case.. .. Ever been ? doubt it if your laughing this off..
I am going to Rome with my wife in February. I have heard about the pickpockets, and other scams. I have also heard how great a visit we should have in February.
If you have any advice at all about Rome, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Was in Rome twice in 2015.
It is pretty simple. If you act like a tourist, draw attention to yourself, and act loud, demanding, or make no attempt to speak the language - then you are asking for trouble.
In the past 10 years I have probably spent about 3 cumulative in Europe - and have never had a single issue with pickpockets or other things that you get warned about.
Look - if you are going to Rome for a week or less you have to do the tourist things. You could spend 3 days in the Vatican alone. If you were spending more time - I would recommend all of the non-tourist things - but for a first time visitor Rome is actually a rare place in that you need to do the tourist things first - because they are of such historical significance that you cannot miss them. Eiffel Tower? Who cares. But the Colosseum? You have to go.
Some advice... Book ahead for the Colosseum and Vatican. You can get both online now - and I would recommend that. You will be happy too when you see the lines at both places a mile long (not exaggeration). These are the lines to BUY TICKETS. You skip these lines.
Also - find a local guide at each place working for tips. You cant beat these people's knowledge (and price). Dont get the official guides - every single place of note will have local college students and scholars on that subject willing to tell you all kinds of stuff for a 10 Euro tip.
GL
Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
Quote Originally Posted by paulstanley:
I am going to Rome with my wife in February. I have heard about the pickpockets, and other scams. I have also heard how great a visit we should have in February.
If you have any advice at all about Rome, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Was in Rome twice in 2015.
It is pretty simple. If you act like a tourist, draw attention to yourself, and act loud, demanding, or make no attempt to speak the language - then you are asking for trouble.
In the past 10 years I have probably spent about 3 cumulative in Europe - and have never had a single issue with pickpockets or other things that you get warned about.
Look - if you are going to Rome for a week or less you have to do the tourist things. You could spend 3 days in the Vatican alone. If you were spending more time - I would recommend all of the non-tourist things - but for a first time visitor Rome is actually a rare place in that you need to do the tourist things first - because they are of such historical significance that you cannot miss them. Eiffel Tower? Who cares. But the Colosseum? You have to go.
Some advice... Book ahead for the Colosseum and Vatican. You can get both online now - and I would recommend that. You will be happy too when you see the lines at both places a mile long (not exaggeration). These are the lines to BUY TICKETS. You skip these lines.
Also - find a local guide at each place working for tips. You cant beat these people's knowledge (and price). Dont get the official guides - every single place of note will have local college students and scholars on that subject willing to tell you all kinds of stuff for a 10 Euro tip.
guy is scared. get a driver/sec guy to meet you at the airport. He will take care of you all the way through to every detail., and is always on call....
Do not mess around at that airport...at all.
guy is scared. get a driver/sec guy to meet you at the airport. He will take care of you all the way through to every detail., and is always on call....
Not as paranoid as you think.. I have watched a girl holding a sign for handouts reach under that sign into a guys front pocket in the blink of an eye.. Almost so fast when even watching for it you question yourself did I just see that ? Now you are in a crowed street even if you do catch her she will hand it off in a nanny second and a partner blends into the crowd and your stuck.. No use in holding her a calling po-po you have nothing except an empty pocket... Your word is worth nada.. Happens ALL THE TIME in Rome.. A fool only carries his cash as a tourist in Rome in his or her pocket.. Sorry you are the uneducated one in this case.. .. Ever been ? doubt it if your laughing this off..
I went about a month ago fella, Stayed in some b and b and all i remember was the area was called via cavalese, Went to flaminio, termini, Mancini, Good times.
Quote Originally Posted by ArtSchlichterJr:
Not as paranoid as you think.. I have watched a girl holding a sign for handouts reach under that sign into a guys front pocket in the blink of an eye.. Almost so fast when even watching for it you question yourself did I just see that ? Now you are in a crowed street even if you do catch her she will hand it off in a nanny second and a partner blends into the crowd and your stuck.. No use in holding her a calling po-po you have nothing except an empty pocket... Your word is worth nada.. Happens ALL THE TIME in Rome.. A fool only carries his cash as a tourist in Rome in his or her pocket.. Sorry you are the uneducated one in this case.. .. Ever been ? doubt it if your laughing this off..
I went about a month ago fella, Stayed in some b and b and all i remember was the area was called via cavalese, Went to flaminio, termini, Mancini, Good times.
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
He's worried about pickpockets because he doesn't have to worry about gun nuts killing him over a parking space
Quote Originally Posted by SwishSwish1234:
Another dumb,uneducated,stereotypical and scared yank, You're worried about pickpockets? You live in a country where guns are legal and people get killed over a parking space!
He's worried about pickpockets because he doesn't have to worry about gun nuts killing him over a parking space
Guys - Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate them. Going to see Roma vs. Palermo, so that will be cool. And, Art, the Steelers are my team so we will be hitting the Steelers bar!
Guys - Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate them. Going to see Roma vs. Palermo, so that will be cool. And, Art, the Steelers are my team so we will be hitting the Steelers bar!
Hey! Went on my honeymoon in 2013, also visited it a few more times, would always go back with pleasure. Gotta try the icecream near the western wall of the Vatican, you'll see the people standing in line (especially in the evening). Also, St. Pietro by night is amazing. There's also the Vittorio Emanuelle monument that deserves your attention, the small panini places to eat and have a beer on the small hidden alleys, and tons of other attractions. Make sure you always have small change in your pockets to buy little souvenirs and stuff. Finally, go see the Capucin Catacombs, they're a major underdog when it comes to Rome attractions. Wish you all the best and a wonderful holiday!
Hey! Went on my honeymoon in 2013, also visited it a few more times, would always go back with pleasure. Gotta try the icecream near the western wall of the Vatican, you'll see the people standing in line (especially in the evening). Also, St. Pietro by night is amazing. There's also the Vittorio Emanuelle monument that deserves your attention, the small panini places to eat and have a beer on the small hidden alleys, and tons of other attractions. Make sure you always have small change in your pockets to buy little souvenirs and stuff. Finally, go see the Capucin Catacombs, they're a major underdog when it comes to Rome attractions. Wish you all the best and a wonderful holiday!
It is pretty simple. If you act like a tourist, draw attention to yourself, and act loud, demanding, or make no attempt to speak the language - then you are asking for trouble.
In the past 10 years I have probably spent about 3 cumulative in Europe - and have never had a single issue with pickpockets or other things that you get warned about.
Look - if you are going to Rome for a week or less you have to do the tourist things. You could spend 3 days in the Vatican alone. If you were spending more time - I would recommend all of the non-tourist things - but for a first time visitor Rome is actually a rare place in that you need to do the tourist things first - because they are of such historical significance that you cannot miss them. Eiffel Tower? Who cares. But the Colosseum? You have to go.
Some advice... Book ahead for the Colosseum and Vatican. You can get both online now - and I would recommend that. You will be happy too when you see the lines at both places a mile long (not exaggeration). These are the lines to BUY TICKETS. You skip these lines.
Also - find a local guide at each place working for tips. You cant beat these people's knowledge (and price). Dont get the official guides - every single place of note will have local college students and scholars on that subject willing to tell you all kinds of stuff for a 10 Euro tip.
GL
You brought out one very good point in reference to the 'Colosseum' Was in Rome in 2009 for a 5 day vacation, and as you know, nobody visits Rome without a Colosseum tour; I can confirm you're "not exaggerating" in regards to the line being a mile long, (just to buy the entry tickets) anyway, we waited 3.5 hours, and we arrived at 8:00 AM...regretfully, I did not make reservations (as you have described) nor did I even have the knowledge that you could initiate this procedure..good tip
Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:
Was in Rome twice in 2015.
It is pretty simple. If you act like a tourist, draw attention to yourself, and act loud, demanding, or make no attempt to speak the language - then you are asking for trouble.
In the past 10 years I have probably spent about 3 cumulative in Europe - and have never had a single issue with pickpockets or other things that you get warned about.
Look - if you are going to Rome for a week or less you have to do the tourist things. You could spend 3 days in the Vatican alone. If you were spending more time - I would recommend all of the non-tourist things - but for a first time visitor Rome is actually a rare place in that you need to do the tourist things first - because they are of such historical significance that you cannot miss them. Eiffel Tower? Who cares. But the Colosseum? You have to go.
Some advice... Book ahead for the Colosseum and Vatican. You can get both online now - and I would recommend that. You will be happy too when you see the lines at both places a mile long (not exaggeration). These are the lines to BUY TICKETS. You skip these lines.
Also - find a local guide at each place working for tips. You cant beat these people's knowledge (and price). Dont get the official guides - every single place of note will have local college students and scholars on that subject willing to tell you all kinds of stuff for a 10 Euro tip.
GL
You brought out one very good point in reference to the 'Colosseum' Was in Rome in 2009 for a 5 day vacation, and as you know, nobody visits Rome without a Colosseum tour; I can confirm you're "not exaggerating" in regards to the line being a mile long, (just to buy the entry tickets) anyway, we waited 3.5 hours, and we arrived at 8:00 AM...regretfully, I did not make reservations (as you have described) nor did I even have the knowledge that you could initiate this procedure..good tip