Two good candidates???

Forum: Politics Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [Politics] Topic: Two good candidates???
Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:10:59 PM

When was the last time both parties in a Presidential election, nominated good candidates?

Obama/Romney - No

Obama/McCain - No

Bush/Kerry - No

Bush/Gore - No

Clinton/Dole - No

Clinton/Bush - No

Bush/Dukakis - No

Carter/Ford - No

Reagan/Mondale - No

Reagan/Carter - No

Carter/Ford - No

Nixon/McGovern - No

 

dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27850
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:23:41 PM
clinton/bush seems like the best on the list when you put it out like that... and that is downright sad...

I think this is why we keep seeing the appearance of the third party option get thrown around...

I remember being intriuged by perot when he first came out...

nadar always seemed a little too weird for me...

But recently you saw people gravitating away from the GOP/DEM combo and look toward Ron Paul as something different... you also saw interest in libertarian candidates like Johnson...

I think the teaparty could have been a thrid party, but lacked the courage to run on its own and instead took over the GOP party and pretty much crashed the car, and will walk away leaving it totalled for the GOP to have to try to figure out how to repair itself...


TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26483
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:31:54 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:

clinton/bush seems like the best on the list when you put it out like that... and that is downright sad...

I think this is why we keep seeing the appearance of the third party option get thrown around...

I remember being intriuged by perot when he first came out...

nadar always seemed a little too weird for me...

But recently you saw people gravitating away from the GOP/DEM combo and look toward Ron Paul as something different... you also saw interest in libertarian candidates like Johnson...

I think the teaparty could have been a thrid party, but lacked the courage to run on its own and instead took over the GOP party and pretty much crashed the car, and will walk away leaving it totalled for the GOP to have to try to figure out how to repair itself...






Nadar is the only reason GWB carried the White House in 2000.

And the rest is history my friend.
canovsp PM canovsp
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5720
 
canovsp
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/13/2013 10:29:24 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:





Nadar is the only reason GWB carried the White House in 2000.

And the rest is history my friend.

Now replace Nader with Perot, GWB with Clinton, and 2000 with 1992.

It's The Butterfly Effect. If Bush The Elder doesn't lose to Clinton Gore doesn't become VP. If Gore doesn't become VP would he have run against Bush in 2000? Would "W" have run if his father had spent eight years in the Oval Office?
don juan PM don juan
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 5445
 
don juan
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/13/2013 12:56:14 PM

I say there were 3 great candidates, 6 times.. Obama twice, Clinton twice, Carter twice.

 

I mean look at what Obama has done.. Unemployment rate down to 7.7, housing covering, stock market soaring from 6000 to 14000. and banking regulation is taking hold.

 Afforable care to take over in 2014, insurance companies cannot pick and choose. kids up to age 26 can now stay on parents insurance.etc.. No wonder the stock market is up and repulsicans are down for the count.

Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:23:17 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

I say there were 3 great candidates, 6 times.. Obama twice, Clinton twice, Carter twice.

 

I mean look at what Obama has done.. Unemployment rate down to 7.7, housing covering, stock market soaring from 6000 to 14000. and banking regulation is taking hold.

 Afforable care to take over in 2014, insurance companies cannot pick and choose. kids up to age 26 can now stay on parents insurance.etc.. No wonder the stock market is up and repulsicans are down for the count.

The rest of your post is invalidated by saying Carter was a good candidate. Horrible candidate and President.

Seriously though, what I meant was two good candidates at the same time. From the list I put out, I can honestly look at those pairings and cannot find one election where I would say yes both those guys would make a good President and numerous times thinking is this the best these parties have to offer?

captjohn67 PM captjohn67
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12821
 
captjohn67
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:54:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

I say there were 3 great candidates, 6 times.. Obama twice, Clinton twice, Carter twice.

 

I mean look at what Obama has done.. Unemployment rate down to 7.7, housing covering, stock market soaring from 6000 to 14000. and banking regulation is taking hold.

 Afforable care to take over in 2014, insurance companies cannot pick and choose. kids up to age 26 can now stay on parents insurance.etc.. No wonder the stock market is up and repulsicans are down for the count.

Ensure and vodka  

don juan PM don juan
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 5445
 
don juan
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:11:06 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Danrules24:

The rest of your post is invalidated by saying Carter was a good candidate. Horrible candidate and President.

Seriously though, what I meant was two good candidates at the same time. From the list I put out, I can honestly look at those pairings and cannot find one election where I would say yes both those guys would make a good President and numerous times thinking is this the best these parties have to offer?

 

Jimmy Carter was the greatest humanitarion president of all time..Oil prices spiked while he was president because of the captives. It was the greatest chance to wean us off of oil. However, big oil companies and Wall St took over when Reagan was elected and we've been at their mercy until the Honorable President Obama took over.

 

You, my friend watch to much Faux News.

Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:28:46 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

 

Jimmy Carter was the greatest humanitarion president of all time..Oil prices spiked while he was president because of the captives. It was the greatest chance to wean us off of oil. However, big oil companies and Wall St took over when Reagan was elected and we've been at their mercy until the Honorable President Obama took over.

 

You, my friend watch to much Faux News.

Under Jimmy Carter: 10%+ unemployment, infaltion and interest rates. Yeah he was a swell President.

Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:50:22 PM
Apparently I cannot spell inflation. What is infaltion? lol
don juan PM don juan
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 5445
 
don juan
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:53:53 PM
As usual, it just doesn't sink into the swallow mind. High rates, unemployment, inflation is a result of high oil prices.
djbrow PM djbrow
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14419
 
djbrow
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:03:36 PM

1992- 3 good candidates.

1996- a good candidate and a good man.

2012- Two mediocure candidates.

Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:23:35 PM

Wow, I can't believe we are arguing about how bad a President Carter was but if you insist.

The oil production from the change in regime's in Iran was only about 4% less since other oil producers picked up the slack. Carter panicked and stopped the import of Iranian oil which caused prices to shoot up. Even with that, the price for a barrel of oil was under $16, hardly high oil prices as you claim.

For you to claim unemployment, inflation and interest rates at all 10%+ was due to one issue, "high" oil prices is laughable.

rick3117 PM rick3117
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14715
 
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:06:34 PM
Facepalm for everything Don Juan has added to this thread. 
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27850
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/14/2013 3:41:54 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Danrules24:

Apparently I cannot spell inflation. What is infaltion? lol

not to worry... spelling doesnt count until certain poster begin to have their meltdown and get relegated to correcting spelling...
don juan PM don juan
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 5445
 
don juan
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/14/2013 9:12:49 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Danrules24:

Wow, I can't believe we are arguing about how bad a President Carter was but if you insist.

The oil production from the change in regime's in Iran was only about 4% less since other oil producers picked up the slack. Carter panicked and stopped the import of Iranian oil which caused prices to shoot up. Even with that, the price for a barrel of oil was under $16, hardly high oil prices as you claim.

For you to claim unemployment, inflation and interest rates at all 10%+ was due to one issue, "high" oil prices is laughable.

Dude.. your ignorance is showing..

The oil embargo began in 1967 after the 6 day war. L Johnson was President..

Again the oil crisis in 1973, Richard Nixon was President.

Look it up.

 I was doing a lot of driving at that time, we had gas lines a mile long. You were probably not even born, maybe just a twinkle in your father's eye.

Jimmy Carter began the Dept of Energy.

canovsp PM canovsp
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5720
 
canovsp
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:32:36 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

Dude.. your ignorance is showing..

The oil embargo began in 1967 after the 6 day war. L Johnson was President..

Again the oil crisis in 1973, Richard Nixon was President.

Look it up.

 I was doing a lot of driving at that time, we had gas lines a mile long. You were probably not even born, maybe just a twinkle in your father's eye.

Jimmy Carter began the Dept of Energy.


In 1977 The Dept of Energy was created to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. Thirty five years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports. Today it is 70%.

Today, the Department of Energy's budget is $24 billion a year with 16,000 employees.

I wouldn't be touting The Department of Energy unless you think it is a good thing that billions of tax dollars and thousands of useless government jobs were created.
don juan PM don juan
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 5445
 
don juan
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/14/2013 11:42:23 AM

Another ignorant soul, geez.

 

The Dept of Energy was created to bring together government programs under one single agency.It can be traced back to the Atomic bomb, Manhattan project..! We had no energy policy in the 1970s so in the wake of the oil crisis, it was created.

Canosoup, you can look at the glass half full or half emtpy. I choose half full.  It is reponsable for the safe handling of nuclear materials, nuclear reactors, radioactive waste, domestic energy production, research and developement.

Perhaps you'd rather we close all govt agencies , no regulation, and give everyone an assault weapon of mass destruction, let us all fight it out.

 

canovsp PM canovsp
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5720
 
canovsp
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/14/2013 11:54:30 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

Another ignorant soul, geez.

 

The Dept of Energy was created to bring together government programs under one single agency.It can be traced back to the Atomic bomb, Manhattan project..! We had no energy policy in the 1970s so in the wake of the oil crisis, it was created.

Canosoup, you can look at the glass half full or half emtpy. I choose half full.  It is reponsable for the safe handling of nuclear materials, nuclear reactors, radioactive waste, domestic energy production, research and developement.

Perhaps you'd rather we close all govt agencies , no regulation, and give everyone an assault weapon of mass destruction, let us all fight it out.

 


Well, since you put it that way, you've convinced me.
Now I see the light.
If it wasn't for The Dept of Energy and other Govt agencies the world
would be like a Mad Max movie.
Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:09:19 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by don juan:

Dude.. your ignorance is showing..

The oil embargo began in 1967 after the 6 day war. L Johnson was President..

Again the oil crisis in 1973, Richard Nixon was President.

Look it up.

 I was doing a lot of driving at that time, we had gas lines a mile long. You were probably not even born, maybe just a twinkle in your father's eye.

Jimmy Carter began the Dept of Energy.

I'm ignorant but you're the one touting Carter as a good President? Thanks I needed that laugh.

I also love when people play the "I was there so I know" card. Yes because you had to have been there to know history. What's next using cute little play on words like Faux news, Robney, and repulsicans. Oh wait.

Pretty sure people are reading your defense of Carter as a good President and just laughing.

 

TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26483
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:42:56 PM


Can anybody tell me...

Who was the last great Southern President?



bunny651 PM bunny651
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6342
 
bunny651
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:43:40 PM
When is a good man automatically qualify him as a great president??
Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/14/2013 2:00:12 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:



Can anybody tell me...

Who was the last great Southern President?



Can't believe I'm saying this but how about Mr. Clinton?? I wasn't a big fan but did vote for him over Dole for a 2nd term since I felt he was doing well, the country was doing well and why rock the boat. Plus Dole was a fool.

TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26483
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/14/2013 2:39:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Danrules24:

Can't believe I'm saying this but how about Mr. Clinton?? I wasn't a big fan but did vote for him over Dole for a 2nd term since I felt he was doing well, the country was doing well and why rock the boat. Plus Dole was a fool.




That's funny, because I really wasn't even thinking about Clinton.  It just seems like you would have to go back, I mean WAY back to find a great Southern President.
Danrules24 PM Danrules24
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4449
 
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/14/2013 3:06:51 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:




That's funny, because I really wasn't even thinking about Clinton.  It just seems like you would have to go back, I mean WAY back to find a great Southern President.

I did the same thing, started thinking way back and going through each state. Shh, don't tell my conservative friends I said something nice about Clinton.

Forum: Politics Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.