O'Reilly vs Colmes

Forum: Politics
Author: [Politics] Topic: O'Reilly vs Colmes
SportsFan9698 PM SportsFan9698
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5575
Kentucky
 
SportsFan9698
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:11:32 PM
Heated debate tonight... love O'reilly or hate him this is worth a watch.

It repeats all night, set your DVR
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27603
United States
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:33:16 PM
I like orielly... dont always agree with him, but he at least knows that he is often giving commentary and opinion, not facts/"news"...


SportsFan9698 PM SportsFan9698
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5575
Kentucky
 
SportsFan9698
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:41:00 PM
O'Reilly is spot on in his analysis 95% of the time.  The truth is usually on his side.  Of course I like him.

It does bother me that when he is wrong, he refuses to admit it.  But in his defense, I have observed that 95% of people also refuse to admit it when they are wrong.  Now that I mention it, it is no defense, but it is true that most people cannot admit it when they are wrong.

You know when a newsworthy person is full of sh*t... they will refuse to appear on his show.
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27603
United States
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:50:38 PM
where do you get the 95% number?

you can go on the internet and watch oreilly get completely owned over and over and over...

My favorite incident is the origin of "U mad.../u mad bro".... which occurred when oreilly the hot heat loses his cool and starts shouting in the face of his guests...  refusing to let them talk as they beg for him to be civil...

also with out oreilly there would be no stephen colbert who emulates oreilly and his style of behavior and delivery of commentary and opinion...  colbert is absolutely hillarious
bunny651 PM bunny651
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6336
 
bunny651
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:12:50 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:

I like orielly... dont always agree with him, but he at least knows that he is often giving commentary and opinion, not facts/"news"...


 

 I lost respect for him when he repeatedly claims to be "unbiased" and "an independent". Don't pretend what you are not.........

bowlslit PM bowlslit
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5625
Greece
 
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:24:32 PM
DL

You named a case in which you speak about his tactics, not whether you think he was right or wrong.

His tactics are abrasive....so is Chris Mathews, Lawrence Odonell, and Ed Schults who all have piss poor ratings compared to Mr Bill.

Surely, you can't think he's wrong so much and still be a conservative.
SirJohnDrake PM SirJohnDrake
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 12943
United States
 
SirJohnDrake
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:53:49 PM

Bill tells the American people the truth on his program. He is indeed a patriot!

 

cashin PM cashin
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12709
 
cashin
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 2:48:22 AM
No SJD, Bill tells the folks "his" truth & doesn't allow for much that contradicts it unless it's shallow stuff he knows he can refute easily to 1 degree or another. He doesn't let his guests (except those who agree with him) expound on their views & opinions with facts or any kind of indepth analysis which is what most issues require these days.  
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27603
United States
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:30:59 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

DL

You named a case in which you speak about his tactics, not whether you think he was right or wrong.

His tactics are abrasive....so is Chris Mathews, Lawrence Odonell, and Ed Schults who all have piss poor ratings compared to Mr Bill.

Surely, you can't think he's wrong so much and still be a conservative.


Why are you desperately trying to deflect the thread off topic talking about mathews and company?  This is a thread about oreilly...


and there you go again trying to Spin a lie again trying to infer that I am a liberal...


Read what I posted about Oreily...

1.  I like him
2.  I dont always agree with him

I am supposed to agree with every word that comes out of his mouth and blindly agree with it as fact because he is on fox "news"?

and for the record I think I define myself world view as a conservative minded independent... I dont know why that upsets you so much
canovsp PM canovsp
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5702
United States
 
canovsp
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 10:24:45 AM
He is abrasive.
It's his style and it's what made him a millionaire.
People watch him because they either love him or hate him.

His most memorable "heated" debate that I can think of was a few years ago when Barney Frank was on The Factor. Bill challenged the congressman on the housing crisis and Fannie Mae's/Freddie Mac's role.

His most famous meltdown (shout out to DL) was pre-Factor. It was during a commercial break when he hosted Inside Edition. You can watch it on Youtube if you've never seen it.

The biggest mistake I remember was the Shirley Sherrod affair. The Factor ran a clip a few years ago where it appeared she was making a racists decision while at the Dept of Agriculture. When the whole clip was shown O'Reilly admitted he was wrong and vowed never to run a clip again without viewing it in it's entirety.

Besides the above example you can't really say he is wrong when debating. He's debating his side and will make arguments for that side, be it abortion, govt spending, etc. You may disagree but you can't say he is wrong. If he says his favorite color is blue and makes an argument for it you can't say he's wrong.

As far as getting owned, I have never seen O'Reilly get owned. I've seen videos on Youtube that are titled "O'Reilly Gets Owned" which are put on Youtube by people who hate O'Reilly. Usually those people have downloaded numerous videos titled "(Fill-in-the-Blank) Gets Owned." Which is always O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck and never a liberal.

I've also seen clips on The Daily Show and Colbert Report where segments will be edited to about a 10sec sound bite to make O'Reilly look bad. It's a comedy show where liberal writers add quirky comebacks where everyone laughs and hopefully no one takes seriously.
MaineRoad PM MaineRoad
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 11416
Burkina Faso
 
MaineRoad
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 2:29:38 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by canovsp:

He is abrasive.
It's his style and it's what made him a millionaire.
People watch him because they either love him or hate him.

His most memorable "heated" debate that I can think of was a few years ago when Barney Frank was on The Factor. Bill challenged the congressman on the housing crisis and Fannie Mae's/Freddie Mac's role.

His most famous meltdown (shout out to DL) was pre-Factor. It was during a commercial break when he hosted Inside Edition. You can watch it on Youtube if you've never seen it.

The biggest mistake I remember was the Shirley Sherrod affair. The Factor ran a clip a few years ago where it appeared she was making a racists decision while at the Dept of Agriculture. When the whole clip was shown O'Reilly admitted he was wrong and vowed never to run a clip again without viewing it in it's entirety.

Besides the above example you can't really say he is wrong when debating. He's debating his side and will make arguments for that side, be it abortion, govt spending, etc. You may disagree but you can't say he is wrong. If he says his favorite color is blue and makes an argument for it you can't say he's wrong.

As far as getting owned, I have never seen O'Reilly get owned. I've seen videos on Youtube that are titled "O'Reilly Gets Owned" which are put on Youtube by people who hate O'Reilly. Usually those people have downloaded numerous videos titled "(Fill-in-the-Blank) Gets Owned." Which is always O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck and never a liberal.

I've also seen clips on The Daily Show and Colbert Report where segments will be edited to about a 10sec sound bite to make O'Reilly look bad. It's a comedy show where liberal writers add quirky comebacks where everyone laughs and hopefully no one takes seriously.

Can,

Thoughtful, reasonable, fact-based posts like this have no place on the Covers Politics forum.

djbrow PM djbrow
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 14324
United States
 
djbrow
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:25:56 PM

Say what you will about him. His books are actually quite interesting.

 

Anyone who watches commentator based news shows to learn the 'news' aren't learning.

They are mearly reinforcing their preconceived notions of love or hate for the speaker.

bowlslit PM bowlslit
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5625
Greece
 
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:05:47 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:



Why are you desperately trying to deflect the thread off topic talking about mathews and company?  This is a thread about oreilly...


and there you go again trying to Spin a lie again trying to infer that I am a liberal...


Read what I posted about Oreily...

1.  I like him
2.  I dont always agree with him

I am supposed to agree with every word that comes out of his mouth and blindly agree with it as fact because he is on fox "news"?

and for the record I think I define myself world view as a conservative minded independent... I dont know why that upsets you so much


Name a few of things that he has said that you disagree with please.
TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26444
Connecticut
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:17:27 PM


Awwww U mad... U mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjUsu2-QMQ
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27603
United States
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/7/2013 4:38:28 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:



Name a few of things that he has said that you disagree with please.

the movie terminator was not a cartoon

I disagree with him playing the race card... it will only stir up the other side and make things worse...


http://articles.philly.com/2012-11-19/news/35187644_1_white-house-minority-majority
cts99 PM cts99
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 770
 
cts99
Participation Meter
Posted: 3/7/2013 10:56:55 AM
Bill is number 1 by far and his books were just great and sales were super.Bill does a lot for charity and military familys.He can be a hard behind,but he is not a fool and will speak his mind.bill knows the dumed down americans do not have a clue about the real facts and it drives him crazy.That does not make him a bad guy.
Forum: Politics
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.