Posted: 8/9/2012 7:19:47 PM
Guys every year before,during and after the season we have new posters ask what do i need to do to win in college football. So i came up with a list. I divide the list as universal and opinion. Universal is ones i think we all can agree on. Opinions are mine and most probably won't agree with. So here we go we start with universal:
1. Try to have at least 2 places to bet. Its hard today because of the us gov't not getting their head out of their fools legalizing online betting. Whether you bet online or in vegas etc try to have at least 2 places to play so you can price shop the lines. Instead of getting Mich.State at -7 maybe you can find them at 6.5 etc
2. Pay on time if you lose. will they pay you on time if you win? IDK but as the old saying goes treat others the way you want to be treated
3. Try to specialize in a conference. Whether its the conference your team plays in. Or the one closest to you or whichever you want try to find a conference to specialize in. On here the best is BigEastexpert. Now BEE is great at all conferences but the Big east especially. Sometimes i think he knows if Tino Sunseri's girlfriend is cheating on himbut you get the point
4. Would you bet that game on saturday? I noticed during tuesday night mac games guys saying why do i bet these crap tuesday mac games? Well i try to treat every game as if it were on saturday. If i wouldn't bet the game saturday why would i bet it if the game was tuesday?
5. Get the different football publications. Its 3 weeks to the season now but get as many of these college books as possible.
6. Never bet more than you can afford to lose. I shouldn't have to explain that
7. Its ok to ask for help. It's alright to ask the forum opinions on a game but remember we can't make the decisions for you
8. $100 on UCF pays the same as $100 on Florida. A lot of guys don't understand that when you win $100 on Florida a guy who won $100 on UCF gets paid the same. They don't go sorry you bet UCf you only get $35. Nothing wrong with betting small conference teams. A win is a win
9. Watch games you don't bet. Its okay to watch a game you don't bet. Some of the most fun i've had in football is watching those tuesday mac games and commenting on them in the in game threads. Sometimes you can win a bet later down the line from watching a game then
10. Try to use fans of different teams. A lot of guys on here will help you. When i have a question about a Clemson game i usually ask BoomBoom. Most of the fans on here are realists about their team. Most don't go I think Ole Miss will go undefeated etc.
11. The line is to get equal betting action. The whole point of the line from the bookmaker's point of view is to get the same amount of money on Team A and Team B. So when you go how is Team A a 14 pt fave vs Team B? The whole point is to get equal betting action.
12. I have inside Information. If anyone tells you they have inside information on the game they're liars and frauds and scumbags. There is information you can get on teams from the different newspapers/websites/team sites. But there is no inside information
13. Look for Undervalued favorites and overvalued underdogs. A favorite that isn't getting enough points and a dog that's getting too many. LY i bet Toledo as an 8.5 point dog at Temple. Why? I thought Toledo should've been the dog but not an 8.5 pt dog. They ended up winning the game su.
Now here are the opinions of mine
1. Buy a half point? Yes in certain situations. Probably 3 and 7 are the numbers you should do that on. But not a lot. There was someone on here when Boise State was a 42 pt favorite against someone bought the half point to 41.5. WHY! If you're betting a 42 pt favorite you don't need a half point. You better be sure Boise would kick that team's behind and win by 7 td's
2. I think guys make mistakes with teasers. The mistake is a lot of guys kind of turn up their nose at teasers. I like the standard 2 tm 6 point teaser myself. Like is aid earlier a win is a win.
3. Do i bet parlays? No. It's kind of like that saying i don't drink,chew and i don't despise those that do. Same for me and parlays. I don't bet parlays and don't despise those that do.
4. Personal/health problems? No bets. Its hard enough to win when you have great health and no problems at home. But if your mind is in another place you can't win IMO.
5. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna pick the wrong team. You're gonna bet the too big on a loss. Not nig enough on a win. Never make the same msitake twice.
Final thoughts. This is to help out the new posters/bettors to covers. Have fun enjoy the games. Win Money. If you do any/some/or none of these things wll you win or lose? IDK because at the end of the day you gotta pick winners. If you have anything to add guys feel free