Messages

Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 1 of 3  1 2 3  
Author: [Politics] Topic: So where do those 47 percent people live that Romney talks about?
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18272
Location: United States
#1
Posted: 9/22/2012 4:18:09 AM

Surprise, surprise 8 out of the top 10 states just happen to be red states.

It appears we have a lot of right winger leeches not paying taxes

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/where-the-47-percent-live.html

so all you prima donna right wingers, you can now come down from your perches, always thinking your better then others

quote
jay10 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
jay10
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 15537
Location: Georgia
#2
Posted: 9/22/2012 4:30:38 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/max-rice-fox-news-gretchen-carlson-fox-and-friends-2012-9
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#3
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:20:50 AM
[Quote: Originally Posted by cd329]

Surprise, surprise 8 out of the top 10 states just happen to be red states.

It appears we have a lot of right winger leeches not paying taxes

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/where-the-47-percent-live.html

so all you prima donna right wingers, you can now come down from your perches, always thinking your better then others

[/Quote

 

This was posted to early to get much response. But I eagerly await the responses as people get up and around. Should be interesting.


quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#4
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:21:45 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jay10:

http://www.businessinsider.com/max-rice-fox-news-gretchen-carlson-fox-and-friends-2012-9

this was pretty funny. Also funny that he says they essentially had a script for him. But hey they are fair and balanced right?
quote
esplanade send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
esplanade
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8749
Location:
#5
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:59:30 AM
% is not relevant in this case (as you should know but undoubtedly don't). Total non-income tax payers come in the largest numbers from the bluest of the blue states, CA and NY. Not surprised though that you would just link any article that piles on Romney w/o the ability to comprehend its matter. Seen it hundreds of times already.




quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#6
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:27:05 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by esplanade:

% is not relevant in this case (as you should know but undoubtedly don't). Total non-income tax payers come in the largest numbers from the bluest of the blue states, CA and NY. Not surprised though that you would just link any article that piles on Romney w/o the ability to comprehend its matter. Seen it hundreds of times already.





Not sure this is correct. The reason to take % into account is to normalize the fact that states differ in the amount of people that live there. This is a basic concept. Of course CA and NY are going to have a lot in absolute terms as they are #1 and #3 in total population.

Want to take a guess at who is #2?

And as far as the bolded part in your response above -- do you really want to use this argument?
quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18272
Location: United States
#7
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:34:26 AM

Matt, most right wingers here will either hide from this thread or try to spin it like esplande has already tried doing with zero luck at that.

point is right wingers in this forum have been going around acting like they are better then everybody else, when the truth is they arent.

They constantly go around bashing democrats as being the only ones on the govt tit but the stats show something differnt.

Theres a lot of right wingers in the country{besides the fatcats} not paying taxes and getting govt help.

and i would bet any amount of money that some right wingers in this forum fall into that catergory.

most right wingers are 2 faced and live by the motto "do as i say not as i do"

quote
dl36 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23683
Location: United States
#8
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:02:26 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jay10:

http://www.businessinsider.com/max-rice-fox-news-gretchen-carlson-fox-and-friends-2012-9

This unfolds like a thread in the politics section... 
quote
dl36 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23683
Location: United States
#9
Posted: 9/23/2012 9:52:55 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mattbrot:


Not sure this is correct. The reason to take % into account is to normalize the fact that states differ in the amount of people that live there. This is a basic concept. Of course CA and NY are going to have a lot in absolute terms as they are #1 and #3 in total population.

Want to take a guess at who is #2?

And as far as the bolded part in your response above -- do you really want to use this argument?

Thinking in terms of proportions/percentages/ratios requires the individual to have the ability to think rationally...

He has proven his lacking in this area on a consistent basis
quote
rooster010 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
rooster010
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 10899
Location: Mongolia
#10
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:53:56 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:


Thinking in terms of proportions/percentages/ratios requires the individual to have the ability to think rationally...

He has proven his lacking in this area on a consistent basis


it seems rational thinking is a challenge for you also

it is evident in your played out schtick, personal attacks and lack of wit

do you have anything to offer except the same old tripe?


quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#11
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:37:10 AM

Among those who made enough to file a tax return, 35 percent did not have to pay federal income tax because of credits or deductions. Some of the highest percentages were in conservative states with high poverty rates.

Credits and deductions (using the tax code) allowed people to not pay as well as being poor.

Could it be the tax code again???  say it isnt so Johnny....

 

quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#12
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:41:36 AM

from what I can tell people in red states on this list either use the code to their benefit, are elderly or are poor.

so, let's recap

1) red state non tax payers seem to more adept at using the tax code legally to minimize their taxable income

2) BUT many are poor and don't pay

3) many are elderly and dont pay

 

 

 

quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#13
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:42:43 AM

cd

you hate the man, you hate people in red states, you hate the so called right wingers you refer to.

anyone else you care to add?

 

quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#14
Posted: 9/24/2012 9:46:13 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by lordspoint:

from what I can tell people in red states on this list either use the code to their benefit, are elderly or are poor.

so, let's recap

1) red state non tax payers seem to more adept at using the tax code legally to minimize their taxable income

2) BUT many are poor and don't pay

3) many are elderly and dont pay

 

 

 



Lords -- It just once again points to the OVERWHELMING hypocrisy. It happens and that is fine but if that is the case than there is no need to get on a High Horse and point fingers at others.
quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#15
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:51:57 AM

Mattt - Please stop with the high horse comments as I am far from being a person who thinks they are better or smarter than others.

I merely looked at the data provided in the original link and based my reasoning on facts from that link as well as the obvious use of tax credits allowed by the code.

Look, I am for taxation not against it. We dont remain a country without funding for the goverment, the military, infrastructure and safety nets for those who need it. We do however have a HUGE spending problem in this country from 2 wars, a recession, pork projects, waste, fraud etc but no one wants to tackle those....hell the gang of 12 couldnt even find common ground to do anything and now we face sequestration. Lovely!

I blame equally blame R's and D's for the state we are in as those are the people we elected over decades which has brought us to where we are today.

And I only point out the tax code over and over because that is the root cause when one wants to talk about tax fairness Matt. We will never have tax "fairness" with the current code but people really dont want to discuss that either.

 

quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#16
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:55:54 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by lordspoint:

Mattt - Please stop with the high horse comments as I am far from being a person who thinks they are better or smarter than others.

I merely looked at the data provided in the original link and based my reasoning on facts from that link as well as the obvious use of tax credits allowed by the code.

Look, I am for taxation not against it. We dont remain a country without funding for the goverment, the military, infrastructure and safety nets for those who need it. We do however have a HUGE spending problem in this country from 2 wars, a recession, pork projects, waste, fraud etc but no one wants to tackle those....hell the gang of 12 couldnt even find common ground to do anything and now we face sequestration. Lovely!

I blame equally blame R's and D's for the state we are in as those are the people we elected over decades which has brought us to where we are today.

And I only point out the tax code over and over because that is the root cause when one wants to talk about tax fairness Matt. We will never have tax "fairness" with the current code but people really dont want to discuss that either.

 



Lords -- The high horse comments are not directed to you .

They are directed to those that (like Mitt) who want to point out that the Dems are free loaders and holding their hands out. Lets face it -- this is a general theme that we hear very often.

Meanwhile a report like this comes out that implies that it is happening on both sides.
quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#17
Posted: 9/24/2012 11:03:49 AM

oh for sure it happens on both sides.....no doubt about it.

R's are no better than D's (I am talking both people and politicians....I suppose politicians are people too but I digress)

anyways, a rewrite of the code is in order so people can pay a fair share.....I don't pretend to know what a fair share means but maybe something like a flat tax that is increased as your income goes up.

Not a tax expert and dont pretend to be so whoever arouund here is please feel free to chime in

 

quote
rick3117 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14277
Location:
#18
Posted: 9/24/2012 5:08:21 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cd329:

Matt, most right wingers here will either hide from this thread or try to spin it like esplande has already tried doing with zero luck at that.

point is right wingers in this forum have been going around acting like they are better then everybody else, when the truth is they arent.

They constantly go around bashing democrats as being the only ones on the govt tit but the stats show something differnt.

Theres a lot of right wingers in the country{besides the fatcats} not paying taxes and getting govt help.

and i would bet any amount of money that some right wingers in this forum fall into that catergory.

most right wingers are 2 faced and live by the motto "do as i say not as i do"


47% of people in the Red States could still be leaches and either Vote Democrat or not vote, even if they did vote 47% is not a majority. Saying that this proves that Republicans are recipients of the money is faulty logic. 

But you know that. 
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#19
Posted: 9/24/2012 5:55:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by rick3117:


47% of people in the Red States could still be leaches and either Vote Democrat or not vote, even if they did vote 47% is not a majority. Saying that this proves that Republicans are recipients of the money is faulty logic. 

But you know that. 


Bit if a stretch. Of course we do not know the whole political breakdown of those who do not pay taxes as this was not provided. But to say that it does not strongly suggest that repubs are also not recipients of the money is extremely naive.

47% is not a majority but that was not the point of the link. The point of the link was that 8 of the top 10 states that had the most people not paying taxes (i.e. in the 47% of people) are states that overwhelmingly vote republican.




quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18272
Location: United States
#20
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:14:50 PM

Sorry Rick, but it was your right winger buddies on this site, who have stated repeatdly that all republicans work and support the lazy democrats.

So now your trying to say that all those red states that are leading the league in govt handouts, are democrats, whenthe majority are republicans

I think your logic is a bit flawed my friend.

Instead of just admitting that both demcorats and republicans get govt help, you try twisting, like your little right wing freaks here do on a daily basis

quote
lordspoint send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lordspoint
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13066
Location: Connecticut
#21
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:17:45 PM
who are these right wing freaks you refer to cd?
quote
rick3117 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14277
Location:
#22
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:29:55 PM
I didn't say that Republicans do not get government assistance.  

I was just saying that it is asinine to take the two data points and make any credible correlations. 
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#23
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:44:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by rick3117:

I didn't say that Republicans do not get government assistance.  

I was just saying that it is asinine to take the two data points and make any credible correlations. 

Man how so? I have no desire to get into another back and forth but... Please how can you justify your explanation?

8 of the 10 states that have the biggest percentage of people in the 47% who do not pay taxes overwhelmingly vote republican. This is a very strong correlation. Are you suggesting that the number of people who are democrats in these states (already a relatively number) who do not pay taxes are so many that they enter in the top 10 of the country who do not pay taxes?  

I am all about a reasonable disagreement but this dog will not hunt. 

quote
rick3117 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14277
Location:
#24
Posted: 9/24/2012 8:05:52 PM
It is looking at one data point, and a completely different data point and asserting things as fact, that are not fact. There are a million reasons why the correlation is spurious 
One example:
Of the 47% how many do not vote?  National averages would say that 61.6% of all citizens Vote.  So out of the 38.4% that choose not to vote is there a higher or lower correlation to the 47%, is there a higher incidence of non-voters getting welfare. 

Is the strong lean towards the GOP an indictment of those that actually have to live in the states with the entitlement class that has run rampant?  




quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5821
Location: United States
#25
Posted: 9/24/2012 9:02:38 PM
Ok, So based on the link we know that 80% of the TOP states with people not paying taxes vote overwhelmingly republican (an as the article states another is a swing state; so that number is possibly 90% but for now lets stick with 80%).

You claim that the correlation is weak.  So essentially you are suggesting that of the 47% who do not pay taxes in these largely republican states are either democratic and / or do not vote. As silly as that theory is I guess it could hold weight if the occurrence was 1 or 2 examples out of 50 states but it is not. We are talking about 80% of the top ten.  

There is a huge difference between a random correlation and 80%. 

It is not hard.  

I am all for am educated disagreement but this is becoming silly.   
quote
Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 1 of 3  1 2 3  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.