trying to make a living gambling fulltime

Forum: Gaming Industry - US Page 1 of 3  1 2 3  
Author: [Gaming Industry - US] Topic: trying to make a living gambling fulltime
bamnbamn187 PM bamnbamn187
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
 
bamnbamn187
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 1/31/2012 12:27:05 PM

im just creating this blog for support motivatvation and venting tips and advice

anybody got tips on bankroll management or betting tips i been gambling fulltime bout 8 months now bankroll zero now but waiting on taxes to get back in the game i made good money but i bills killed my bankroll im new to this but anything u can say or give advice websites for betting im all ears

joanne12 PM joanne12
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1169
 
joanne12
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 1/31/2012 12:37:17 PM
you will starve to death son
fsutomahawk PM fsutomahawk
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3303
 
fsutomahawk
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 1/31/2012 1:14:14 PM
I'll make this very simple for you and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is.

If you need someone else to motivate you to do this day in and day out through the constant grind that this is trying to make a living, then find something else to do, you are not cut out for this.
eliminat0r85 PM eliminat0r85
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9147
 
eliminat0r85
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 1/31/2012 1:22:17 PM
keep it a hobby, its hard to make this your sole bread winner. Unless you get hot when its your hobby and save up a comfortable amount where you have no problem risking whatd you'd normally make in a month on 1 or 2 games.
bigboard PM bigboard
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
 
bigboard
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 1/31/2012 3:55:13 PM

Take your tax refund and go on vacation.  Forget about this dream of gambling for a living.  Let me begin my saying how many books have gone out of business in Vegas?   Before the crackdown by the government, offshore books numbered in the hundreds, and all were making money.

Book has every advantage, to begin with you pay juice for the right to bet, already up against it. Any legit book as huge bankroll, do you have that?  Money management is critical, especially for recreational players.    It is near impossible to beat the house, in any form of gambling.  

For most, gambling is a form of entertainment, put so much aside, and when gone move on, it is like going to the movies.  However, for many it becomes compulsive and can ruin a life.   Please be careful.

rarafromphilly PM rarafromphilly
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3208
 
rarafromphilly
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 1/31/2012 11:59:31 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bamnbamn187:

im just creating this blog for support motivatvation and venting tips and advice

anybody got tips on bankroll management or betting tips i been gambling fulltime bout 8 months now bankroll zero now but waiting on taxes to get back in the game i made good money but i bills killed my bankroll im new to this but anything u can say or give advice websites for betting im all ears

PizzaBoyRick PM PizzaBoyRick
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 993
 
PizzaBoyRick
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 2/1/2012 2:44:01 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bamnbamn187:

im just creating this blog for support motivatvation and venting tips and advice

anybody got tips on bankroll management or betting tips i been gambling fulltime bout 8 months now bankroll zero now but waiting on taxes to get back in the game i made good money but i bills killed my bankroll im new to this but anything u can say or give advice websites for betting im all ears



Forgetaboutit....
Money2theBank PM Money2theBank
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 3489
 
Money2theBank
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/1/2012 9:51:26 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bamnbamn187:

im just creating this blog for support motivatvation and venting tips and advice

anybody got tips on bankroll management or betting tips i been gambling fulltime bout 8 months now bankroll zero now but waiting on taxes to get back in the game i made good money but i bills killed my bankroll im new to this but anything u can say or give advice websites for betting im all ears



Sorry, but ...
GOPHERNATION12 PM GOPHERNATION12
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 3353
 
GOPHERNATION12
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:41:59 PM

I'll give you a different answer than the rest although they are correct.

If you are going to do this and are set on it then several things.

1. You need money to make money. If you are starting with a couple thousand it is near impossible to make any money, at least the kind you need to live on. You can't bet scared and that is what a lack of funds tends to do.

2. Knowledge is power. No joke, anything you can find out about a game that most don't know yet can give you a huge advantage. Read the online local papers of the teams playing. Read, read, read. Make phone calls and ask. I once called the main number to a WTA tennis tournament each day and spoke to the same woman each day asking everything I can think about the players and she talked to me and even mentioned a player not feeling well. I sent her a nice gift basket. Do your homework!

3. It is time consuming but work horse racing into your "business". Don't bet on anything for 2 weeks to a month but watch the replays at certain tracks over and over again for things like a horse with a lot of run but no place to go. You will know what your looking for when you see it.

I could go on and on, but I would take the tax refund and invest it in tuition to further your education and make yourself more marketable. Good luck.

 

Money2theBank PM Money2theBank
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 3489
 
Money2theBank
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/3/2012 1:25:27 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by GOPHERNATION12:

I'll give you a different answer than the rest although they are correct.

If you are going to do this and are set on it then several things.

1. You need money to make money. If you are starting with a couple thousand it is near impossible to make any money, at least the kind you need to live on. You can't bet scared and that is what a lack of funds tends to do.

2. Knowledge is power. No joke, anything you can find out about a game that most don't know yet can give you a huge advantage. Read the online local papers of the teams playing. Read, read, read. Make phone calls and ask. I once called the main number to a WTA tennis tournament each day and spoke to the same woman each day asking everything I can think about the players and she talked to me and even mentioned a player not feeling well. I sent her a nice gift basket. Do your homework!

3. It is time consuming but work horse racing into your "business". Don't bet on anything for 2 weeks to a month but watch the replays at certain tracks over and over again for things like a horse with a lot of run but no place to go. You will know what your looking for when you see it.

I could go on and on, but I would take the tax refund and invest it in tuition to further your education and make yourself more marketable. Good luck.

 



To the OP: Read the bold portion again. Best advice you can get.
Patsfan1975 PM Patsfan1975
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 572
 
Patsfan1975
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 2/3/2012 5:41:40 PM
He'll undoubtedly learn the HARD WAY. I mean who wouldn't want to avoid the daily grind of a 9-5 job to do something fun like sit around and watch sports all day while making money. Unfortunately, the 'making money' part is the tough part. Unless you got inside connections, you will likely fail and I am guessing if you are in here asking strangers strategies, you got zero info on the inside.  I had dreams of making a living out of this when I was in my early 20's, didn't happen. Then I got my head out of my behind (before it was too late) and now make a comfortable 6-figure salary with great medical/retirement benefits. All because I decided to nick the idea of making a career out of gambling. Of course, there were lumps along the way like 60K in credit card debt (about 65% gambling, 35% foolish young couple spending) Now debt free and place wagers for pure recreation.

All the advice above is correct. Really can't offer anything further.
stackedpack PM stackedpack
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 74
 
stackedpack
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/3/2012 6:44:48 PM
Probably around 5% or less who try to do this for a living succeed long term, and all of that 5% at one point or another busted their bankroll several times over before they got it right. Even if you get it right, it's hard to stay on track.

The biggest enemy isn't the sportsbook, nor the difficulty of picking more winners than losers, the biggest enemy is yourself.

The fear, emotion, and anger that comes with the daily grind will eat you alive if you can't control yourself. You can be talented at picking winners just like Josh Hamilton is as talented at baseball, but if you have a vice you can't control, you will destroy yourself.

You have to be better than smart. Most of the people who can succeed at this, probably would succeed at anything they try to do. Most of the people here are advising you not to do it, don't take it as negative, they are trying to do you a favor.

Its starts and ends with money management.  Start with the maximum you can afford to lose that won't affect your daily living nor affect you psychologically but enough money to keep you honest. If you can only afford $10 bets so be it. If you can't afford to lose anything DO NOT BET. You can still handicap and learn for free.

Scared money doesn't win. Secure your finances first and you'll sleep better at night when the losing streaks hit.

Good luck!


DavidGurney PM DavidGurney
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1493
 
DavidGurney
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/4/2012 10:24:33 AM
Here's the problem;You must have outside income which will tide you over until anf if you succeed in your endeavor.
 
In my case-as a retiree-I can lose my entire bankroll several times over before it begins to really hurt.Even then,I still have income guaranteed for living expenses.
 
I've told one of my nephews the same story.He learned the hard way.
 
The gambling life appears to be glamourous.The reality is a 60 hour week of tracking trends,etc.
 
We're not trying discourage you,but just laying out the real story.
 
However,I would say this:Do something different.If everyone is losing doing things one way,why continue on their path?
 
I believe that handicapping is useless,and that only systems give people a chance to win.For example,insurance companies don't bet on which individuals are going to die at a certain time,but they know that someone will die at a certain time.You must treat your wagering similarly.
 
I also believe that you need dozens-at least-of successful angles to give you a chance.
 
Horseplayers say that each race is different.I contend that each game is different and cannot be picked with a single approach.
 
For example,in baseball I have 16 different angles for the favorite,and 16 for the underdog.Then,I have a different approach which combines both of the above into 48 game classifications.
 
It's a lot of work.
vegas_sports_11 PM vegas_sports_11
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 28
 
vegas_sports_11
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:10:08 PM
Baby steps,  set small goals achieve them then set another and so on. Ill start it for you.
step 1: $100 into $200 each bet is 10%- 20% of bank roll.
step 2: $150 into $300 each bet is 10%- 20% of bank roll.
step 3: $200 into $400 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 4: $300 into $600 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 5: $500 into $1000 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 6: $800 into $2000 each bet is 20%- 25% of bank roll.

NEVER USE YOUR BANK ROLL TO LIVE ON.......... ONCE THESE BABY STEPS BUILD YOUR BANK ROLL TO OVER $10,000. set a living allowance. say $2,000. a month from winnings as long as you maintain your $10,000. bank roll.

don't always bet the obvious. do your homework. INJURY REPORT, INJURY REPORT, INJURY REPORT. don't put your entire bank roll at risk at one time. dont bet 4 and 5 games at a time. Find one or two you really like and stick with it. NEVER BET WITH YOUR HEART.
BIGBAG PM BIGBAG
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 48
 
BIGBAG
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:53:28 PM

Keep our day job until you can build your bankroll up.  A couple of thousand isn't much to start with.  Think long term, a losing night don't mean sh*t if you have a winning week.

 

THESITHKILLER PM THESITHKILLER
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 872
 
THESITHKILLER
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:06:00 PM
Only way to win in this field is by fading a sith....a sith is a mush, a constant loser, no matter what he plays he loses....he may win sometimes, but 7 out of 10 plays are going to lose....find'em, fade'em and be confident.....it is not easy but it 100% works.....all you need to do is find one....one sith could make you thousands....I've been doing this for 10 years and all the local books in new york won't take my plays....I have to hide behind other betters and half of them findout in the  end cause nobody wins like a fade better.....thats if you have to gamble, this is very hard to do, you catch yourself 80% of the time saying "no way this will hit"....but it does, not for the undisiplined.....best advice......invest in loans....peace.
fsutomahawk PM fsutomahawk
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3303
 
fsutomahawk
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:42:07 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by vegas_sports_11:

Baby steps,  set small goals achieve them then set another and so on. Ill start it for you.
step 1: $100 into $200 each bet is 10%- 20% of bank roll.
step 2: $150 into $300 each bet is 10%- 20% of bank roll.
step 3: $200 into $400 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 4: $300 into $600 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 5: $500 into $1000 each bet is 15%- 25% of bank roll.
step 6: $800 into $2000 each bet is 20%- 25% of bank roll.

NEVER USE YOUR BANK ROLL TO LIVE ON.......... ONCE THESE BABY STEPS BUILD YOUR BANK ROLL TO OVER $10,000. set a living allowance. say $2,000. a month from winnings as long as you maintain your $10,000. bank roll.

don't always bet the obvious. do your homework. INJURY REPORT, INJURY REPORT, INJURY REPORT. don't put your entire bank roll at risk at one time. dont bet 4 and 5 games at a time. Find one or two you really like and stick with it. NEVER BET WITH YOUR HEART.


10-20% of your bankroll per play is WAY to much. Each play should be 1-5 % with 5 being a very rare play.
JasonDC PM JasonDC
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 243
 
JasonDC
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/4/2012 5:04:00 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by THESITHKILLER:

Only way to win in this field is by fading a sith....a sith is a mush, a constant loser, no matter what he plays he loses....he may win sometimes, but 7 out of 10 plays are going to lose....find'em, fade'em and be confident.....it is not easy but it 100% works.....all you need to do is find one....one sith could make you thousands....I've been doing this for 10 years and all the local books in new york won't take my plays....I have to hide behind other betters and half of them findout in the  end cause nobody wins like a fade better.....thats if you have to gamble, this is very hard to do, you catch yourself 80% of the time saying "no way this will hit"....but it does, not for the undisiplined.....best advice......invest in loans....peace.

Shutup you moron, no local in New York is refusing your plays, you and i both know it..take your 1990's Bronx Tale Eddie Mush fantasies somewhere else.

braves5795 PM braves5795
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 497
 
braves5795
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/4/2012 7:00:43 PM
look at the covers rsi on comments, pay attention to those comments who have a red rsi.
braves5795 PM braves5795
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 497
 
braves5795
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/4/2012 11:15:13 PM
practice on the covers contests
THESITHKILLER PM THESITHKILLER
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 872
 
THESITHKILLER
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 2/5/2012 6:15:59 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by JasonDC:

Shutup you moron, no local in New York is refusing your plays, you and i both know it..take your 1990's Bronx Tale Eddie Mush fantasies somewhere else.

 

fagboy.....I know most of them douchbag and they know what the darn I do, they don't want to take my garbage cause they know I go the other way.....they know I have info cause I work jerk off.....explaining myself to a maryland person......local cocksmoker local

JasonDC PM JasonDC
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 243
 
JasonDC
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/5/2012 6:45:10 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by THESITHKILLER:

 

fagboy.....I know most of them douchbag and they know what the darn I do, they don't want to take my garbage cause they know I go the other way.....they know I have info cause I work jerk off.....explaining myself to a maryland person......local cocksmoker local

Very intelligent post..a very short post but a lot of mentions of homosexuality..do you have something you want to tell us? it's ok man, it's 2012 and society will accept you!  fagboy, person, and cocksmoker all in one short post..either your 13 years old and you think those grade school happy insults are funny..or..you are pretty obsessed with happy sex.

auburntigers83 PM auburntigers83
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 651
 
auburntigers83
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 2/5/2012 9:06:55 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bamnbamn187:

im just creating this blog for support motivatvation and venting tips and advice

anybody got tips on bankroll management or betting tips i been gambling fulltime bout 8 months now bankroll zero now but waiting on taxes to get back in the game i made good money but i bills killed my bankroll im new to this but anything u can say or give advice websites for betting im all ears

so you haven't had a job for 8 months and now you've got no money because of bills???  just spend your time finding a job and do this in your spare time.  if you have a family you need to make sure they have insurance, food, and a roof over their head.

S_A_I_N_T_S PM S_A_I_N_T_S
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1566
 
S_A_I_N_T_S
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/7/2012 10:28:57 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by GOPHERNATION12:

I'll give you a different answer than the rest although they are correct.

If you are going to do this and are set on it then several things.

1. You need money to make money. If you are starting with a couple thousand it is near impossible to make any money, at least the kind you need to live on. You can't bet scared and that is what a lack of funds tends to do.

2. Knowledge is power. No joke, anything you can find out about a game that most don't know yet can give you a huge advantage. Read the online local papers of the teams playing. Read, read, read. Make phone calls and ask. I once called the main number to a WTA tennis tournament each day and spoke to the same woman each day asking everything I can think about the players and she talked to me and even mentioned a player not feeling well. I sent her a nice gift basket. Do your homework!

3. It is time consuming but work horse racing into your "business". Don't bet on anything for 2 weeks to a month but watch the replays at certain tracks over and over again for things like a horse with a lot of run but no place to go. You will know what your looking for when you see it.

I could go on and on, but I would take the tax refund and invest it in tuition to further your education and make yourself more marketable. Good luck.

 

This is good advice. The more you know dude. 

hayseed PM hayseed
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
 
hayseed
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 2/7/2012 10:50:09 AM

So who knows anybody that makes a living doing this? You hear stories but other than Len Banker (Barker?) and Bill Walters, is there anybody? Proof?

I don't believe thesithkiller either. I must be happy.

 

 

Forum: Gaming Industry - US Page 1 of 3  1 2 3  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.