Messages

Forum Index : Food & Fitness : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [Food & Fitness] Topic: workout question
gprixwvu send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
gprixwvu
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Location: New Jersey
#1
Posted: 7/3/2012 8:47:10 PM

i just started working out again, and decided that before i start lifting, i gotta trim down. so ive been doing a lot of walking/running usually about an hour a day. ive already lost 20lbs and im trying lose 40-50 more.

now to my question, i work out in the gym in its pretty well air conditioned so i dont sweat as much as i do when im outside (plus getting a little sun in nice). i always hit up the sauna when im at the gym so i probably sweat the same. but should i be more concerned with my heart rate or the amount i sweat or is it all the same? im really looking to max out my time when im exercising.

i feel like im just gonna drink the water afterwards so whatever i sweat out, im just replacing anyway. either way, id really appreciate some advice. also, if there are any good metabolism boosting products or ideas that you guys have, id appreciate it

thanks again

quote
Asomugha send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
Asomugha
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5564
Location: Denmark
#2
Posted: 7/10/2012 3:32:17 PM
You know, you don't lose weight because u sweat. It's just water stored in the body that is taken away. And yes, u should drink water when youre working out.
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36306
Location: Missouri
#3
Posted: 7/10/2012 10:38:22 PM

Heart rate is all that matters. Of course running outside for 5 minutes when its 100 degrees will make you sweat as much as 30 minutes in an air conditioned gym, but sweat doesnt means you got a good workout. Keep the blood pumping and make your body use its energy stores.

 

bol

quote
searchwarrant send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 61676
Location: California
#4
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:55:35 AM
Sweating hard is good but in moderation.... index and middle finger to jugular will tell you that your HR is kicked up very high. without minimal loss of fluid.. (aka over heating.
quote
Brewcrewfan send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bodog |
Brewcrewfan
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Location: United States
#5
Posted: 7/26/2012 2:28:26 AM
Heart rate is all that matters. Sweating lbs really doesn't matter unless you're a fighter and have to make weight. You'll lose weight sweating, but it's all water weight that will come back. A high heart rate ups your metabolism and helps you burn more calories.
quote
rated91 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
rated91
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 597
Location: United States
#6
Posted: 7/27/2012 12:20:14 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by gprixwvu:

i just started working out again, and decided that before i start lifting, i gotta trim down. so ive been doing a lot of walking/running usually about an hour a day. ive already lost 20lbs and im trying lose 40-50 more.

now to my question, i work out in the gym in its pretty well air conditioned so i dont sweat as much as i do when im outside (plus getting a little sun in nice). i always hit up the sauna when im at the gym so i probably sweat the same. but should i be more concerned with my heart rate or the amount i sweat or is it all the same? im really looking to max out my time when im exercising.

i feel like im just gonna drink the water afterwards so whatever i sweat out, im just replacing anyway. either way, id really appreciate some advice. also, if there are any good metabolism boosting products or ideas that you guys have, id appreciate it

thanks again


The above statement is bullshit. The best way to lose weight is to pump iron. Lifting weights will burn a shitload of calories and change your metabolism. Eat a protein bar or shake upon waking, and again after your workout. Drink 8+ tall glasses of water throughout the day. For a good workout program go to tnation.com - it's all there. But just start on the Iron, darn walking.
quote
Raiders22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Raiders22
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5637
Location: United States
#7
Posted: 7/31/2012 6:30:17 PM
Ignore last post --- it is completely wrong---weights help tone up---need cardio and diet to lose weight---especially sprinting (got to work up to it) if possible---there are no fat sprinters---lot of overweight weightlifters    
quote
searchwarrant send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 61676
Location: California
#8
Posted: 7/31/2012 7:07:55 PM

Heart rate is all that matters. Sweating lbs really doesn't matter unless you're a fighter and have to make weight. You'll lose weight sweating, but it's all water weight that will come back. A high heart rate ups your metabolism and helps you burn more calories.

Would you agree that a heavy sweat indicates you are close to peaking on your max heart rate? Can't do it personally unless it's there. Obviously reaching for peak HR is a certain road to over training and fatigue but it's important to mix it up if you're serious about conditioning.

quote
gprixwvu send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
gprixwvu
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Location: New Jersey
#9
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:57:23 PM

well, just to keep you guys posted. i haven't lifted just because of the guy ive been getting advice from, said i need to trim down and lose the weight, and then when im about 10lbs away, thats the time to start lifting but then not to forget about the cardio.

what i've been doing is hitting the treadmill hard for 45-60 minutes a day walking at decent pace but raising the incline every 5-10 minutes or so. when i'm done, ive burned 500-600 calories. i've really watched my diet and almost eliminated alcohol. i think i've drank 7 times in the last 8 weeks and there was 4 day trip to LA/vegas mixed in there, so thats pretty good for me.

since i started my diet in mid-june (2 months now) i've lost 40lbs.i'm 6'2" and was 295...now 255.  i feel much better and even drinking a couple vodkas has me feeling like such garbage the next day. i've totally lost the taste for beer and soda which makes me think they have some kind addictive taste to them or something

anyway. the cardio is working well, but i do plan on lifting when i get down to 220 and hopefully can be in great shape around 210. ive always been on the bigger side so 210 is pretty thin for my build.

any thoughts...would be appreciated

thanks

quote
Asomugha send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
Asomugha
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5564
Location: Denmark
#10
Posted: 8/17/2012 1:14:43 AM
Cardio is the stupidiest thing u can do when bodybuilding/powerlifting, because it will change your muscle fibres (White - Red) so dont do cardio, just eat less calories.
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#11
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:22:28 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

Sweating hard is good but in moderation.... index and middle finger to jugular will tell you that your HR is kicked up very high. without minimal loss of fluid.. (aka over heating.


to carotid artery

jugular is a vein = no pulse
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#12
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:29:54 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:

Cardio is the stupidiest thing u can do when bodybuilding/powerlifting, because it will change your muscle fibres (White - Red) so dont do cardio, just eat less calories.


everyone requires cardiovascular fitness

so it is also important to do cardiovascular

do an exercise that rises your heart rate at least 30 minutes per day

walking brisk is the safest and is virtually injury free and you can do this on the cardio equipment in the gym to monitor heart rate or just walk outdoors and enjoy the environment and if you wish to monitor your heart rate you can buy a heart monitor

I do not know your age so I am unable to recommend your maximum and training heart rates.
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#13
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:40:51 AM
weight lifting increases muscle mass and muscles is heavier than fat so initially there may be weight gain, but adding muscle mass will then aid weight loss because muscle increases the body's metabolic rate so you burn more calories all day long, even when asleep you will burn more calories per hour due to the increased muscle mass.
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#14
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:54:17 AM
CO = SV X HR

CO   Cardiac Output..... The total volume of blood pumped out by the heart in one minute.


SV   Stroke Volume....... The amount of blood pumped out at each heart beat.

Heart Rate essentially is the same as the pulse rate unless a person has heart block or arrhythmia.



You can easily see from this how the physiology all works.

Cardiovascular training increases heart muscle so the heart pumps out more with each beat (SV).  It then needs fewer beats per minute to achieve the same cardiac output. Slower more efficient powerful muscular heart.


 
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#15
Posted: 8/17/2012 4:15:58 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:

Cardio is the stupidiest thing u can do when bodybuilding/powerlifting, because it will change your muscle fibres (White - Red) so dont do cardio, just eat less calories.


muscle fiber type is no concern for anyone wishing to become fit and healthy and lose weight, not an issue, but a unnecessary  distraction, possibly of concern to athletes but not to the general population.


quote
pulledclear send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
pulledclear
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 3202
Location: United States
#16
Posted: 8/17/2012 5:43:56 PM
3 rounds of circuit training with weights+ 30 mins cardio m-w-f

5 sprints 5 gassers 100 yd+ 20 min walk OUTSIDE!! tu-th-sat

OFF sun

DIET DIET DIET nothing will change your FAT storage more then diet!!

Not a starvation diet 5-6 SMALL meals per day. Plenty of water.

In 90 days any one within 30-40 lbs of their goal will get there. there are no secrets DIET is the key!!!!
quote
AC4LIFE
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Sportsbook.ag |
AC4LIFE
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3704
Location: New Jersey
#17
Posted: 8/21/2012 9:44:26 AM
to whoever says you don't need cardio and that you just have to eat healthy.  THAT IS NOT TRUE.  Even if you have good genes and low body fat naturally, your heart is not getting a workout so you need to do cardio for many aspects
quote
Asomugha send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
Asomugha
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5564
Location: Denmark
#18
Posted: 8/21/2012 5:32:17 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by BMA:



muscle fiber type is no concern for anyone wishing to become fit and healthy and lose weight, not an issue, but a unnecessary  distraction, possibly of concern to athletes but not to the general population.




I agree with this. For regular people that is. However, if u want to be a good powerlifter or a bodybuilder, then u shouldn't do a lot of cardio, that would be stupid.
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#19
Posted: 8/22/2012 6:56:44 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:



I agree with this. For regular people that is. However, if u want to be a good powerlifter or a bodybuilder, then u shouldn't do a lot of cardio, that would be stupid.




quote
Jive_Turkey
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Jive_Turkey
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7370
Location: Australia
#20
Posted: 8/23/2012 9:06:53 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:



I agree with this. For regular people that is. However, if u want to be a good powerlifter or a bodybuilder, then u shouldn't do a lot of cardio, that would be stupid.

depends what you mean by 'a lot' ... If you're a bodybuilder who competes then you need to do it regularly during your cutting phase. Diet is critical but getting yourself down to 6% bodyfat just won't happen (for a natural) without cardio.  

quote
Asomugha send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
Asomugha
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5564
Location: Denmark
#21
Posted: 8/23/2012 6:19:04 PM
Jive: Bullshit. Of course it will. Its not hard to get down to 7% BF when standing on the stage, you dont need cardio to do that. Most bodybuilders do cardio anyways because steroids darn your heart up, so they gotta keep up with cardio. Cardio is just a tool u can use when cutting, but its easier just to cut by cutting down calories from your diet.
quote
Jive_Turkey
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Jive_Turkey
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7370
Location: Australia
#22
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:45:53 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:

Jive: Bullshit. Of course it will. Its not hard to get down to 7% BF when standing on the stage, you dont need cardio to do that. Most bodybuilders do cardio anyways because steroids darn your heart up, so they gotta keep up with cardio. Cardio is just a tool u can use when cutting, but its easier just to cut by cutting down calories from your diet.

Whatever mate, I don't really care about your bro science theories because I'm actually doing this right now and working with bodybuilders who've prepared for comps for decades and none of them would ever dream of skipping cardio during a contest prep.   

Sure diet will contribute to fat loss significantly but you're you won't get stage ready without it.
quote
Jive_Turkey
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Jive_Turkey
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7370
Location: Australia
#23
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:48:31 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:

Cardio is the stupidiest thing u can do when bodybuilding/powerlifting, because it will change your muscle fibres (White - Red) so dont do cardio, just eat less calories.

Believing this kind of garbage is the stupidest thing you can do actually. 



quote
Asomugha send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
Asomugha
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5564
Location: Denmark
#24
Posted: 8/24/2012 2:30:30 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Jive_Turkey:


Whatever mate, I don't really care about your bro science theories because I'm actually doing this right now and working with bodybuilders who've prepared for comps for decades and none of them would ever dream of skipping cardio during a contest prep.   

Sure diet will contribute to fat loss significantly but you're you won't get stage ready without it.


aight buddy, i can asure you one thing; the best boybuilder in the world; Heath - he does not do cardio to cut down his bf% i can guarantee you bro.
quote
Jive_Turkey
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Jive_Turkey
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7370
Location: Australia
#25
Posted: 8/24/2012 9:56:13 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Asomugha:



aight buddy, i can asure you one thing; the best boybuilder in the world; Heath - he does not do cardio to cut down his bf% i can guarantee you bro.

lol, you're talking about a guy on copious amounts of steroids. 

Natural bodybuilders need to do it, full stop. 
quote
Forum Index : Food & Fitness : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.