Spurs at Blazers: What bettors need to know
San Antonio Spurs at Portland Trail Blazers (3, 196.5)
The Portland Trail Blazers seek their eighth consecutive home victory over the powerful San Antonio Spurs when the teams meet on Saturday. Portland should be well-rested for the second contest of a three-game homestand after not playing Friday, while San Antonio defeated the Sacramento Kings 97-86 on Friday in the second contest of a four-game road trip. Tim Duncan had 23 points and 12 rebounds for his fourth double-double in six games.
San Antonio’s 5-1 mark is the best record in the Western Conference. The Spurs started 4-0 for the first time in franchise history before being routed by the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday. Portland lost to the Clippers the following night when it played a highly disappointing first half and trailed by 21 points at halftime. The Trail Blazers have notched two 10-point victories and their three losses are by an average of 16.7 points.TV:
10 p.m. ET, CW35 (San Antonio), KGW (Portland)ABOUT THE SPURS (5-1):
San Antonio received a stunning performance from little-used Patty Mills in the victory over Sacramento. Mills played 21 minutes with starting point guard Tony Parker hindered by the flu and scored 18 points on 8-of-9 shooting. “This is professional basketball, you have to be ready whether you are told or not,” Mills said of his extended playing time. “I knew I had to be ready because we had some guys who weren’t feeling very well.”ABOUT THE TRAIL BLAZERS (2-3):
Forward Nicolas Batum had a solid all-around game with 23 points, nine rebounds and five assists against the Clippers but was ashamed about Portland’s inability to stop Los Angeles. “We didn’t play any defense,” Batum said. “We’re a young team and we love to run. When you don’t play any defense and the other team shoots 60 percent, we don’t run and we can’t score. It wasn’t an offensive problem. We don’t stop the ball on defense.”TRENDS:
* Over is 4-1 in their last five meetings.
* Spurs are 1-8 ATS in the last nine meetings in Portland.
* Under is 4-1 in Spurs' last five overall.
* Spurs are 1-6 ATS in their last seven road games.BUZZER BEATERS:
1. San Antonio won two of three meetings last season but is just 4-10 against the Trail Blazers over the last four regular seasons.
2. Duncan is averaging 18.5 points and 10.8 rebounds in 50 career games against Portland.
3. Portland F LaMarcus Aldridge averaged 25.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and shot 60.6 percent from the field against the Spurs last season.