Let the dogs bark this week:
Lee Westwood (+138) over Tyrrell Hatton
- Westwood brings both strong course history and current form here at great odds. +1.95 average true strokes gained across 52 rounds at Augusta. Much needed week off last week to recharge the batteries after 5 straight starts. While I believe Hatton is the better player, hasn't shown anything yet in his 4 starts at The Masters. MC-44-56-MC while averaging -1.08 true strokes gained.
Phil Mickelson (+129) over Gary Woodland
- I know Phil is a shell of his former self, but he still knows how to get it around Augusta. Woodland in a similar boat as Hatton - hasn't shown he can get it done at Augusta. Best finish is 24th in 8 starts, with 4 missed cuts and a -0.12 average true stokes gained. Just don't think he chips and putts well enough to contend here.
Victor Perez (+144) over Harris English
- Perez enters playing solid golf with a 9th at The Players and made the semis at the Match Play. At least has one start under his belt at Augusta in the fall of last year and made the cut so doesn't come in blind. English has been pretty steady, but cooled off since his hot start to the year. With no real course history to be concerned with, worth a shot at these odds on what I feel should be priced closer to a pickem.
Matt Kuchar (+102) over Brian Harman
- Taking a risk here as Harmon comes in playing solid golf. But I just don't see how he can get enough close looks for birdie to contend here - the distance disparity is real at Augusta as he'll be hitting mid-long irons into holes where other guys will be hitting short irons-wedges. Kuchar isn't a bomber by any stretch of the imagination but he always shows up at The Masters: +1.93 average true strokes gained over 42 rounds. Seemed to find something the last 2 weeks, making the semis at Match Play and finishing 12th at Valero.
Brendan Todd (+100) over Zach Johnson
- The days of Zach or similar style players contending are long gone. Since a 9th in 2015, he's gone MC-MC-36-58-51 last 5 years. Todd hasn't had much success in his lone 2 starts here but has made 6 of the last 7 cuts coming in and just feel he is the better player.