We're just a few days away from Super Bowl XLVII so it's time to really buckle down and get focused on your bets. We put together a list of the best 47 Super Bowl betting notes we could find to help you with your handicapping down the stretch.
Super Bowl/Prop Betting Notes
1. The loser has scored exactly 10 points in four of the six previous Super Bowls at the Superdome.
2. The average margin of victory in those six games at the Superdome was
22 points, thanks to blowouts conducted by arguably the two greatest
teams of all time: the 1989 San Francisco 49ers and the 1985 Chicago
Bears. The last Super Bowl played in New Orleans, however, was the
razor-thin 20-17 New England victory over St. Louis in 2002. (note via
3. As NFL head coaches, neither Harbaugh has lost a game following a bye week including the playoffs. John is 6-0; Jim is 3-0-1.
4. Super Bowl favorites (read: San Francisco) taking on opponents off
back-to-back SU and ATS wins are just 13-10 SU and 7-14-2 ATS.
5. Twenty-eight points is the cut-line for favorites in Super Bowl games.
Since 1980, those who failed to score 28 points in the big game are
1-16-1 ATS. Those who managed to tally 28 or more points are 12-1-1 ATS.
6. The NFC has held the upper hand over the AFC in Super Bowl games
since the 1980 season, going 21-10 SU and 20-9-3 ATS.
7. The over is 3-2 in San Francisco's last five trips to the Super Bowl.
The Ravens covered the over by themselves against the Giants in Super
8. The last running back to be Super Bowl MVP was Terrell Davis (Broncos
1998). Since then nine QBs, three WRs, and two defensive players have
9. The Super Bowl coin toss is one of the most popular prop bets every
year. 'Heads' has been the right call in the last four Super Bowls and
five of the last six.
10. Until last season, when New England won the flip, the NFC had won the
pregame coin flip each of the previous 14 years. (Marc Lawrence)
11. Over the previous 46 Super Bowls, wide receivers lead the brigade, scoring the first touchdown 19 times.
12. In the past 20 years, 17 Super Bowls have been won by the team that
hails from the city with the lower unemployment rate. It would seem a
win for the Ravens is a slam dunk then with Baltimore's 7.2 percent rate
trumping San Francisco's 8.2 percent rate. (Fox Sports)
Bowl, the football arcade game originally released in 1988,
predicted a 49ers 37-17 victory in a simulated Super Bowl game recently conducted
by a group called The TecmoBowlers
14. The Super Bowl record for the team that scores first is 30-16 SU.
Action Betting Notes
15. The most action wagered in Nevada on a Super Bowl came in 2006 when
$94.5 million was taken in for the Seahawks-Steelers game. The books won
nearly $9 million in Pittsburgh's 21-10 victory - a win percentage or
hold of 9.3 percent. (via Nevada Gaming Control Board)
16. The only
time Nevada sportsbooks lost money on the Super Bowl in the past 10
years was the 2008 game between the Giants and Patriots. They lost a
combined $2.6 million in total (-2.8 percent hold) in the Giants' 21-17
victory. (via Nevada Gaming Control Board)
17. Teddy Covers: "I expect the 49ers to be in that same pointspread range (-3.5 or -4) between now and kickoff."
18. John Avello, executive director of sports and racing at the Wynn Las Vegas says about 20 percent of the total Super Bowl handle will be from prop bets.San Francisco 49ers Betting Notes
19. San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick has improved against added
pressure during the postseason, primarily because he is making quicker
decisions. He held onto the football for 3.8 seconds before passing,
taking a sack or scrambling in the regular season when facing five or
more pass rushers (league average: 3.4 seconds). That has dipped to 2.8
seconds in the postseason, and the result has been a 98.9 total
quarterback rating (out of 100).
20. Super Bowl XLVII will end a streak of five straight title games where
at least one quarterback had Super Bowl experience (ESPN Stats and
21. The 49ers feature nearly twice as many former first-round picks (15) than the Ravens (8). (ESPN Stats and Info)
NFC has won three straight Super Bowls. The last time the NFC won four
in a row was streak of 13 straight Super Bowl wins from 1984-96.
23. Thirty-nine of the 46 Super Bowl winners have owned top-10 ranked defenses.
24. While clubs with the better defense have
gone 22-10 SU and 17-13-2 ATS in the big game since 1981, these teams
are only 2-4 SU and 1-5 ATS over the last six years.
25. The 49ers are 5-0 all-time in the Super Bowl. They are the only
franchise with more than one Super Bowl appearance without a loss.
26. San Francisco needs a win Sunday to tie Pittsburgh as the only franchises to win six Super Bowls.
27. The 49ers' Vernon Davis has the most receiving yards per game (110.5) by a tight end in postseason history.
28. The Ravens downed the Niners, 16-6, on Thanksgiving Day last year,
marking the only time Brother Jim has come up short in a non-conference
tilt. He is 7-1 SU and ATS against the AFC. That ties into his 19-5 SU
and 18-4-2 ATS record in all games played outside the NFC West division.
Harbaugh is 10-1 SU and 8-2-1 over/under in games when the total is set
at more than 43 points, while John is 5-1-1 over/under in games
identically set at more than 43 points.
30. The over is 6-0 in San Francisco's last six games overall.
31. San Francisco had the No. 3 total defense in the league this year, the
No. 2 scoring defense, the No. 2 rushing defense and the No. 4 passing
defense in the regular season.
32. The 49ers are averaging
significantly more yards and points in all those categories in the
playoffs, except for rushing yards per game, where they're giving up
about two fewer yards per game than in the regular season.
33. The Niners have greatly increased the use of the option their two
playoff games, running the play 29 times while averaging 8.4 yards per
rush with four touchdowns. (ESPN Stats & Info)
34. The San Francisco 49ers have outscored opponents 114-58 in the third quarter this season.
35. The Niners have been outscored 64-78 by their opposition in the first quarter this season.
36. The 49ers have been beat up by the deep ball recently, allowing 15
plays of 20 or more yards in the last three games, with four of those
plays posting 40 or more yards. They gave up only 32 plays of 20 or more
yards in the 15 games previous. To cut the Niners some slack, those
games were against elite QBs Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan.Baltimore Ravens Betting Notes
37. Ray Rice is averaging 21.3 carries per game this postseason. The Ravens are 21-3 when he starts and gets more than 20 carries.
Ravens lead the all-time series with the 49ers 3-1 and have won three
straight. The last two Ravens-49ers games have had a combined two TDs
39. The Ravens are 7-1 all-time as the No. 4 seed. Their
previous Super Bowl win in 2001 came as a No. 4 seed. Baltimore boasts a
13-7 record in the postseason, the best win percentage of any
40. The Ravens have allowed only two passing TDs to tight ends this season
(including the playoffs) - the fewest TDs allowed to tight ends this
41. Baltimore's only Super Bowl appearance was in 2001, which was one of
the most profitable Super Bowls for sportsbooks (16.3% win percentage)
over the past 12 seasons. The Ravens were favored by three points in
their 34-7 win over the Giants.
42. The Ravens are 4-0 ATS in their last four playoff games.
43. The Ravens had to play in three playoff games prior to the Super Bowl,
while San Francisco has only had to play in two. Five of the last seven
Super Bowl winners had to play in the Wild Card round.
44. With eight touchdown passes and zero interceptions, Joe Flacco has a
shot to tie or break Joe Montana's record for most touchdown passes
without throwing an interception in a single postseason. (ESPN Stats
45. Every quarterback who has finished a postseason
throwing at least eight touchdowns without a pick has not only won the
Super Bowl, but also the Super Bowl MVP. (ESPN Stats & Info)
46. The Ravens are 10-5 in road/neutral playoff games - the best win percentage of any franchise. (ESPN Stats and Info)
47. Baltimore has been outscored in each of the first two quarters in games
against playoff opposition, while managing to bounce back and dominate
in the fourth quarter.