Ohio State at Duke: What bettors need to know
Ohio State Buckeyes at Duke Blue Devils (-5, 144)
The premier matchup of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge takes place Wednesday when No. 4 Ohio State makes its first-ever visit to Cameron Indoor Stadium to play No. 2 Duke.
The Buckeyes have won all four of their games by double digits, most recently destroying UMKC 91-45 on Friday. The Blue Devils have played a much tougher schedule; their 6-0 start includes victories over then Top-3 teams Kentucky and Louisville. Duke will try to avenge last season’s 85-63 loss in Columbus, which dropped the Blue Devils to 11-2 in the Challenge. Ohio State is 5-5 in the event.TV:
9:30 p.m. ET, ESPNABOUT NO. 4 OHIO STATE (4-0, 2-1 ATS):
The Buckeyes lead the nation in 3-point shooting at 48 percent (32 of 67) and rank ninth in overall field-goal percentage (52.1). They’re also in the Top 10 in assist-to-turnover ratio (6th/+1.63) and fewest turnovers per game (5th/9.5). Junior F Deshaun Thomas averages 24 points and 7.3 rebounds, while junior PG Aaron Craft – last season’s Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year -- chips in 14.3 points and 5.3 assists. Junior G Lenzelle Smith, the third returning starter, averages 11.5 points and 5.3 rebounds. All three have upper their scoring averages following the departures of Jared Sullinger and William Buford.ABOUT DUKE NO. 2 (6-0, 4-2 ATS):
Having just survived a stacked field to win the Battle 4 Atlantis, Duke has won 23 straight regular-season games. All five starters are averaging in double figures, led by 6-10 senior Mason Plumlee (19.7 points, 10 rebounds). Senior G Seth Curry is nursing a right shin injury, but that didn’t stop him from averaging a team-high 18 points in the Bahamas. He was scheduled to get a few days off leading into this game. Tourney MVP Quinn Cook averaged 13.7 points and 6.3 assists over the three games. The Blue Devils have hit 12 more 3-pointers than Ohio State, but shoot a significantly lower percentage (37.3).TRENDS:
* Buckeyes are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 vs. Atlantic Coast.
* Blue Devils are 3-13 ATS in their last 16 home games.
* Over is 5-1 in Buckeyes' last six vs. Atlantic Coast.
* Over is 6-0 in Blue Devils' last six vs. Big Ten.TIP-INS:
1. Ohio State is 7-15 all-time against No. 2-ranked teams. The Buckeyes are 147-231 all-time against ranked opponents.
2. Duke and Ohio State have split six all-time meetings.
3. Craft has 177 career steals, third on Ohio State’s all-time list behind David Lighty (191) and Jay Burson (204).