Nine things bettors should know about EMU-Ohio
Eastern Michigan at Ohio Bobcats (-17, 57.5)
Time: 6 p.m. ET on ESPNU
1. Ohio is No. 1 in the nation with only three turnovers lost. Eastern Michigan ranks 82 in the nation in that category with 17.
2. Temperatures are expected to be in the low-30s tonight with winds at 11 mph. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain.
3. Ohio – the MAC East preseason favorite – has failed to cover its past four games, ranging as a favorite from 6.5 to 23.5 points.
4. Ohio is hinting it may mix up its playbook more than you might expect for a short week. They’re going to work in Ryan Boykin more at running back and have some designed QB runs. Head coach Frank Solich said it’s because teams have caught on to their option. Miami (Ohio) had six sacks last week in a 23-20 upset and held Ohio to 162 rushing yards, after averaging 210.4 per game on the season.
“We've got to get more production in terms of running more read-type of plays or more quarterback-design kind of runs, because right now they're zeroing in on our running back pretty well," Solich told reporters.
5. Eastern Michigan ranks 114th in the nation in scoring defense and owns the worst rushing defense in the country with 302.4 yards against per game.
6. Ohio ranks 106th in third-down efficiency this season. Solich says that’s due to having too many third-and-longs, which he hopes to correct by mixing things up Thursday.
7. Ohio’s Matt Weller has made 17-of-24 field goals including a 56-yarder last week. He ranks third in the nation in FG percentage.
8. EMU has been outscored 67-27 in the first quarter and shut out five times in the opening frame this season.
9. Ohio is 0-6 against the spread in its last six games against teams with a losing record at the time the Bobcats played them. New Mexico State is the only FBS team they’ve beaten by more than 17 points this season.