New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox (-114, 11)
The Boston Red Sox organization remembered the past Friday when it celebrated the 100-year anniversary of Fenway Park’s opening before the team turned in a performance to forget. The Red Sox, who are off to a 4-9 start, host the New York Yankees in the second of a three-game series Saturday. Boston has been outscored 31-8 during its four-game losing streak – all at home – and is off to another pedestrian start after losing 10 of its first 12 in 2011.
The Red Sox are sub-par at the plate, but pitching – especially the starters – is the biggest reason why Boston is struggling. The Red Sox have allowed a major league-leading 23 homers and the starters have a combined 6.11 ERA. The Yankees send out veteran Freddy Garcia, who has enjoyed success against the Red Sox in the past. Boston counters with youngster Felix Doubront, who will make his first career start against the Yankees.TV:
4:05 p.m. ET, FoxPITCHING MATCHUP:
Yankees RH Freddy Garcia (0-1, 6.97 ERA) vs. Red Sox LH Felix Doubront (0-0, 5.40 ERA)
Garcia has allowed 13 hits in 8 1/3 innings over two starts, including a 7-3 loss to Minnesota on Monday in which he yielded five runs and nine hits. Garcia, though, is 9-4 lifetime against the Red Sox, including 3-1 at Fenway Park. The Red Sox roster is hitting .279 against Garcia, with Mike Aviles (8-for-14) and David Ortiz (11-for-39, two homers) doing the most damage. Garcia has fared well against Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis (combined 5-for-28).
Doubront pitched five innings in each 2012 start, and has 13 strikeouts. The Red Sox won both – 6-4 against Tampa Bay on Sunday and 4-2 at Toronto on April 9. Doubront has faced the Yankees four times out of the bullpen and yielded only a .200 batting average with six strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings.TRENDS
* Under is 4-1 in the last five meetings in Boston.
* Yankees are 4-1 in the last five meetings.
* Yankees are 4-1 in Garcia's last five starts as an underdog.
* Red Sox are 1-7 in their last eight home games vs. a right-handed starter.UMP TRENDS - Bill Welke
* Under is 9-3 in Welkes last 12 games behind home plate.
* Under is 4-0 in Welkes last 4 games behind home plate vs. New York.
* Home team is 5-0 in Welkes last five games behind home plate.
1. The Yankees’ Derek Jeter recorded his 3,111th career hit Friday to pass Dave Winfield and move into 18th all-time. Jeter is off to a fast start with four homers and 11 RBIs, and tops New York regulars with a .359 average.
2. Youkilis, a career .285 hitter, is off to a .195 start.
3. New York's Alex Rodriguez hit his 631st home run Friday, moving past Ken Griffey Jr. into fifth on the all-time list. Willie Mays is fourth with 660.